Mene Switchboard
。◕‿◕...
Staff Envoy

Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 AM

The Monthly Menewsha Contribution Items Art Contest!

Each month on Menewsha, the site hosts an art contest where artists are asked to create artwork featuring one or more items from the month's Contribution Item set, showing the item(s) in a way that highlights the possibilities.

This month the theme is Perfect Pastries and Phoenix Crossbow!

For more information on this month's Contribution Items, please visit the Announcement thread.

Mene Switchboard
。◕‿◕...
Staff Envoy

Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Entrants are welcome to submit unlimited entries to either of the two categories:

Traditional: Non-digital pieces of work including (but not limited to): drawings, paintings, sculpture, food art, knitting, origami, etc.

Digital: Digital pieces of work including (but not limited to): digitally colored pieces, digital paintings, 3D renders, animation, etc.

The number of prizes each month will be determined by the number of participants to each category. (Ie: The numbers of participants will be counted separately for each category and prizes awarded based on the chart below.) It is well worth your while to encourage other artists to join each month!

0 - 2 participants:
- No first prize, but entrants will each receive 500 gold Honorable Mention prizes.

3 - 5 participants:
- First Prize = Winner's choice of one of this month's CIs + 1,000 gold.

6 - 10 participants:
- First Prize = Both of this month's CIs + 1,500 gold.
- Second Prize = Winner's choice of one of this month's CIs + 1,000 gold.

11 - 15 participants:
- First Prize = Both of this month's CIs + 2,000 gold. (+ All Auctioneer Items for this month, if available.)
- Second Prize = Both of this month's CIs + 1,000 gold.
- Third Prize = Winner's choice of one of this month's CIs + 1,000 gold.

16 - 25 participants:
- First Prize = Both of this month's CIs + 3,000 gold (+ All Auctioneer Items for this month, if available.)
- Second Prize = Both of this month's CIs + 2,000 gold (+ Choice of 1 of any Auctioneer Items for this month, if available.)
- Third Prize = Winner's choice of one of this month's CIs + 1,500 gold. (+ Choice of 1 of any Auctioneer Items for this month, if available.)

26 + participants:
- First Prize = Both of this month's CIs + 5,000 gold (+ All Auctioneer Items for this month, if available.)
- Second Prize = Both of this month's CIs + 3,000 gold (+ All Auctioneer Items for this month, if available.)
- Third Prize = Winner's choice of one of this month's CIs + 2,000 gold. (+ All Auctioneer Items for this month, if available.)

The staff reserve the right to add Honorable Mentions prizes to any category on any given month at their whim so that we can reward users who submit exemplary work on months of low turn-out or simply amazing work in general that didn't happen to win. Unannounced Honorable Mention prizes are not limited to 500 gold, but may be whatever we feel is appropriate.

Last edited by Iro; 12-01-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Mene Switchboard
。◕‿◕...
Staff Envoy

Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Participants are encouraged to read these rules in full and expected to ask questions if they have them.

1 ) ENTRIES MUST BE THE ARTIST'S OWN WORK.

2) The submission form must be filled out accurately and in full.
Entrants may or may not be contacted to warn them that their submission form is submitted incorrectly and incorrect forms may not be eligible for prizes.

3) By submitting, entrants are allowing Menewsha to display their work on-site to advertise the contest and to archive winning submissions to display to those who wish to view who won in previous months.

4) Entrants who select [Yes] on allowing Menewsha to share their works off-site are permitting Menewsha to upload their works to sources like Tumblr, Facebook, Livejournal, DeviantArt; etc with credit to the artist with the intention of attracting new users to the site. Selecting [No] will not affect your chances of winning.

5) Entries are due to be posted to this thread before the thread is closed. (Usually up to the last minute before the CIs for next month are released.)

These are some tips on what the judges are looking for.

1) Item representation
Ultimately, this is an art contest about featuring the Contribution Item(s) for the month. How much is the item highlighted? Has it made the item look cool/beautiful/hilarious/scary/etc? Is the item interpreted in an interesting way?

2) Creativity
How creative is the entry? Is the character wearing the item or interacting with the item posed interestingly - or just standing/sitting there? Is the artist using a creative medium? Perhaps an interesting coloring style?

3) Quality/presentation
Is the actual quality of the submission decent? ie: A good scan of traditional work or a good photograph of the entry? Do watermarks obscure the entry? Is the file dimension so large you can't see the entry properly? Is the file size absurdly large?

4) Skill
Please note that this is listed last for a reason. You do not have to be a skilled artist to win (though it helps). Creative work from a beginner artist can usually beat the bland work of a talented artist. We expect talented artists to stretch themselves too! :)

Please note that we encourage but do not require entries to be uploaded to gallery sites such as DeviantArt as it makes it easier for some of our judges to view the entries and also may attract new users to the site. :)
Don't forget about the Menewsha fanclub on dA too!

Please fill this entry form out properly and in full. Place "n/a" or similar in any areas that do not apply.

Username: Your Username
Gallery: Gallery space such as Deviantart, sketchblog, etc.
Shop: If you have an art shop on Menewsha.com
Allow Offsite Sharing?: [Yes] or [No]
Source acknowledgement: Did you use a reference or materials from other people to produce your work? Ie: stock photography, texture brushes that require acknowledgement; etc.
Category: Traditional or Digital?
Entry: Link to entry on a gallery site (like Deviantart) and/or embedded image.

[b]Username:[/b]
[B]Gallery:[/B]
[B]Shop:[/B]
[B]Allow Offsite Sharing?:[/B] [Yes] or [No]
[B]Source acknowledgement:[/B]
[b]Category:[/b]
[B]Entry:[/B]

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro

Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Oh, boy!
I am excited to see entries for this! :eager:

NeuzaKC
Stan.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Oh my goodness, I am so tempted to participate! But I am soooooo lazyyyyy! And so busy! But agh, I really think I can do nice things if I put my heart in it. Internal struggle!

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM

REALLY looking forward to seeing what you guys can come up for this. :drool:

As I'm no artist myself, I envy anyone who can make pretty stuff. :love: GOGOGO! :illgetu:

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 PM

if i had a way to get my stuff up i'd draw something...

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 12-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Is this the first month for this?

Or was I completely unawares?

momochan
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to momochan

Old 12-02-2011, 12:27 AM

Is it okay if I use Photobucket as an image host?
I don't have a Devianart account, sadly.

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora Lorington View Post
Is this the first month for this?

Or was I completely unawares?
Yes, this is the first month. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by momochan View Post
Is it okay if I use Photobucket as an image host?
I don't have a Devianart account, sadly.
Of course! Image hosting sites are totally okay. The dA option was for those who wish to submit their entries there as well.
In this case, I think you were asking about the "Gallery" as well as the "Entry" category on the form. It's optional for those who do have galleries in art showcase sites.

momochan
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Penpal

Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 AM

Okay that's good. :lol:
One more question, are we supposed to include poses from both of the Ci's, or can we use poses from just one if we wanted too?

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 AM

You can include just one pose from one of the CIs, if you like. :) It doesn't matter how many poses you use or which CI you use. You don't have to use both. :)

momochan
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Penpal

Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 AM

Alrighty~ hehe thanks Ck, iro. c:

ShadowDemon101
The Idea Girl

Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 AM

I got to say this sounds rather fun :)

Althought I am a bit busy at the moment xD;; When is the last day to enter a submission? When the CIs come out or the end of the month? I wasn't exactly clear on that >w<;;

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 12-02-2011, 05:05 AM

:)

Quote:
5) Entries are due to be posted to this thread before the thread is closed. (Usually up to the last minute before the CIs for next month are released.)

LogicallyDoomed
*^_^*

Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM

I am So going to enjoy drawing this months CI's

momochan
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Penpal

Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 PM

I have my sketch drawn out, I just need to color it on the computer~

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Oh! I really want to enter! I think I just might :) But I'll have to think of an idea for it D: *is trying to think of one* XD

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDemon101 View Post
I got to say this sounds rather fun :)

Althought I am a bit busy at the moment xD;; When is the last day to enter a submission? When the CIs come out or the end of the month? I wasn't exactly clear on that >w<;;
In case the rule that Iro quoted wasn't specific enough for you, I recommend having it submitted before the evening in the US. The new CIs come out at midnight Pacific/1am Mountain/2am Central/3am Eastern. So before then on the last day of the month. :)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Aimee~ View Post
Traditional: Non-digital pieces of work including (but not limited to): drawings, paintings, sculpture, food art, knitting, origami, etc.
Just letting people know that I updated examples of what you can do under "traditional art", in case people who are not drawing artists have other artsy skills they can put towards this. :)

`Haru
Useful Idiot
Send a message via MSN to `Haru

Old 12-03-2011, 05:06 PM

This looks pretty fun. I'm definitely no talent... at all, but I do like to doodle around.
If and when I can find time I'd love to participate! Just to see what happens, <3

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM

I have some ideas for this... now if only I can find my sketchbook... :stare:

Sezumie
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 AM

:o Yay!~ Drawing contest! I shall do the perfect pastries! Thank you for new inspiration to draw a picture :D

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 AM

Looking forward to seeing entries. :heart:

Sezumie
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 AM

Are we supposed to draw our avatars for this? Or can we use original characters?

RatedE
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to RatedE

Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 AM

If entries are due tonight, then I will be unable to join. Better luck to me next month :P