Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Sixty-three : Do Not Disturb

((Max & Mel))

She was burning the midnight oil, her head being held by one hand by an elbow propped up on her desk, while the other hand was scribbling furiously on a piece of paper trying to come up with a brilliant design for a new spy gadget that she was coming up with. ’What is original?’ she wondered to herself. ’That’s been done.’ Scratch. ’That’s also been done.’ Another scratch. “I’ve needed a supply upgrade for so long. That’s not efficient,” Carmella said as she scribbled over another idea. At this rate, she wasn’t going to be able to get anything done.

It didn’t help that her phone was ringing every five to ten minutes. As she picked up the cellular device, she didn’t even need to check the caller ID to see who it was. “Remind me again why the hell I gave you my phone number in the first place?” she asked to the person waiting on the other line.

“Melly, baby! I just wanted to tell you I miss you!” exclaimed the annoying-yet-lovable (?) man on the other end of the call. Carmella sighed exasperatedly. “Maxwell! I told you I’ve been trying to work on something. This isn’t a good time to call!” she yelled, and hung up, clicking the “Call End” button and tossing the phone over her shoulder and onto her bed.

Scribble. Scribble. Scribble.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Still no ideas for a way to make her gear more efficient in tactical missions.

“New binocular goggles?” She looked to the utility belt that hung on a coathanger pole next to her desk, well-used, searching for signs of bulkiness. “I don’t think this is going anywhere,” she concluded.

Whatever. There were folders on her desk that needed to be looked through. Job offers. As in job offers (new targets). Wanting to avoid Max after having been forced to deal with him for days on end, she flipped through the contents of the files. “Maybe some separation would do us good.” It wasn’t as if she disliked the man. Carmella tolerated him, but couldn’t stand his antics. She wondered what that redheaded girl saw in him.

At least Carmella’s boyfriend could keep her entertained. But how long they would last, she didn’t know. “Do I want to keep him around or not?” she asked herself of the dark man who was as skillful with a knife as she was. He was a perfect gentleman, everything she ever wanted in a man. Nodding to herself, Carmella tried to convince herself the benefits of an alliance with him. At least it wasn’t like she had to babysit him like she’d done for Maxwell Kane. ’Thank God for that,’ she reminded herself.

The phone rang again. She exhaled through her nostrils, closing and opening her eyes slowly. ’Let it ring thrice, then answer,’ she instructed herself. Only he called her every so often. She rarely received calls from her brothers or her workers, as all resided in the de Rosencourte mansion with her, and as such, were accessible by personal intercom.

“What is it?” she asked in her frustrated French accent.

“Is now a good time?” answered the same familiar voice.

“Considering I can’t get any work done because you cannot shut your trap, I don’t think anytime will be a good time,” she replied coolly.

She heard chuckling from the other end. “Melly, Mel-Mel. I wanted you to join me for dinner!” Max offered. “I was getting lonely over here and my girl’s off doing some modeling job or something. Let’s get together, you and me,” he said, trying to convince her.
Carmella shook her head. “I’m tired,” she lied, and hung up again. And that’s when she realized what she needed in life. Someone to bug the hell out of her. Someone who actually worried for her and wanted to surprise her once in a while. While she had that from her current boyfriend, none of those gestures matched the way a certain second-generation Irish male did.

For the rest of the night, she watched as her phone vibrated every few minutes. She lay on her bed, the lights turned off, and lay the phone on the other side of her bed, imagining the person whose calls she wasn’t taking at the moment.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM

SO CUTEEEEE WTH 0____0

----------

Finished mine. I challenge you to....60. Rejection

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM

LOL OH GOD I want to do the Booth&Brennan-esque scene!!!!

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2011, 03:55 PM

awww :cry: that sucked so baddddd - but yeah. they do have that type of relationship in a way....

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm trying hard not to do it though. xD So I'm trying to see what other options I have.

My laptop CD drive is whirring so damn loudly here in the library...

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 PM

WOOW<3 work now!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 AM

Ok do you want me to write it from the perspective that Max is confessing to Mel or fastforward it to where Mel is finally confessing to Max when they're stuck in that hole?

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 AM

lmfao - gurl, whatever you want to do!

but omg her confessing to max and max being all 'it took being IMPRISONED for you to realize you love me? know what mel? no. fuck you! lmfao

but he'd probably just shit himself from happiness!

or both, I dunno, whenver you get around to it and however you want!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-27-2011, 04:52 AM

What do you estimate is the time period between his confession and her confession? Six months? A year?

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM

somewhere between there, def. DEF, at least 6 months. That would make sense to me.

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 PM

Yeah so this is gonna come in two parts...so there's a prequel/introduction that'll go before the actual challenge so I can knock off another number, too. Don't worry. I started working on it last night anyway. It's about their being imprisoned.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 AM

oooh

sexy.

I can't wait!

:squee:

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 AM

Four: Dark

* N.B. - This is the prequel to Sixty: Rejection

((Max & Mel))

’Where am I?’

Damp. Dark. Dingy. Dirty.

Wet.

She could hear water dripping from some pipeline. There was no sense of time, whether it was day or night. She was hoping it was nighttime. It was when she worked well on a mission.

Unfortunately this was not one of those normal times.

She could hear groaning somewhere near her. Her spine tingled, as her breath hitched. She stiffened, wondering if someone – or something – was going to attack her. ’Who’s there?’ she wanted to say, but didn’t. The thought was running in her head, though.

Her entire body lay sprawled on the ground – the wet ground. She didn’t like being wet when it was unnecessary. Scuba diving? Fine. A dip in the pool? Peachy. But when she had no idea where she was, nothing was comfortable.

’Where was Thomas?’ Her current boyfriend wasn’t involved in her missions, not at all. But she wished he was there at that moment. Carmella had no idea whether or not she was alone. She felt pain, almost paralyzed but not really. Trying to move quickly only made her body hurt even more, and her head was swirling.

A figure lay near her, slumped, and against the wall. She couldn’t see clearly. It took a while for her vision to adjust to the darkness. Her equipment was gone, so night vision goggles were out of the question. The reason she knew this was because she felt nothing attached to her waist. It wasn’t pitch black where she was, thankfully enough. When she regained most of her vision, she turned her head enough to focus on the figure, which became a recognizable figure. She felt relief.

“Max. Max,” she tried to call out to him, but her voice was hoarse. Her chest rose and fell as she breathed, trying to muster up enough air to make her presence known and rouse her partner in crime.

“Max!” she finally managed.

Familiar eyes blinked open. It was hard to tell, but she knew. “Oh thank God, I thought you might have been someone else,” Carmella sighed.

Max was trying to get ahold of his surroundings. “The fuck happened back there, Mel?” he asked, trying to rub the back of his head. It hurt badly. He had no idea what happened for them both to land in here. “I don’t know,” the woman replied, unmoving.

“Are you hurt?” Maxed asked with genuine worry in his tone. He leaned over to try and reach for her, but found he was in pain himself. “Fuck,” he grimaced, holding his ribcage. “Not that again!”

Carmella’s head drifted back to the position in which she was staring at the ceiling. “I don’t know.” She was scared to try and move herself anymore. Right now she wanted to be closer to Max. The space between them was agony. He was unreachable, in her current state. But neither of them looked tied up at the moment.

They just were too afraid to move. Afraid of each other and what they would do.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM

I'm so excited for the next part!!! <3 that was so cool!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM

It's still being worked on. Currently 627 words, most of it being the six months ago part.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 PM

0_0

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Sixty: Rejection

* N.B. – The introduction to this is Four: Dark.

((Max & Mel))

Time passed. They barely said a word to each other. Max had been up and walking around trying to search for a way out. But in the dark, everything was much more difficult to see. He didn’t stray too far from their “prison” before returning back to where he started. Exasperated, he plopped back down at his original spot against the wall shaking his head. Carmella only watched as Max did what he did, and her thoughts drifted back half a year ago to one certain day, at a very precise time.

| » | six months ago | « |

He took her out again, this time, at a local diner. As friends. Both Max and Carmella had been enjoying their time off from work and getting to know each other. Their relationship so far had been that of mortal enemies who were forced to ally with each other in order to overtake people trying to kill them both. After that, both their firms found out that the man and the woman could work well together. Angelus and Doyle had purposefully selected jobs that required two hands to work out. In short, they became a team without even knowing it.

And the dynamic changed, slowly easing to some sort of camaraderie. In battle, they knew each other’s strengths and weaknesses, performing the next hit, and the one after that, counterbalancing whatever work the other did to benefit the both of them.

What had grown from hatred, to tolerance, to friendship, led Max to believe that there was something more between them that had to be dealt with. He realized that he was in love with Carmella. She wasn’t exactly his best friend, but he couldn’t really see himself in the future with anyone else that matched him but her. She was his equal in every way, and what he lacked, she made up for. It worked vice-versa as well.

So when it came time for him to pick her up, he thought he’d do so in style. Well, not too stylish, after all, this was supposed to be a very casual diner. He could dress in jeans and a t-shirt if he wanted, but it didn’t feel right for tonight. It wasn’t as if he was proposing to her, but he wanted to make her permanent in his life.

“Carmella,” he started.

“Max,” she said. They’d spoken at the same time. Carmella shook her head. “You go first. It was your decision to bring me out here,” she insisted.

He’d never really called her anything but “Mel” most of the time. This was a fact she noticed. She leaned forward, her elbows on the table. As long as this diner was casual, there was no reason for her to put on an act of good breeding at this point. So she gave Max her full attention. There was no benefit to her listening in on the general conversation around her. After all, she didn’t know anyone, and here she didn’t have to worry about privacy. Everyone else around them was loud.

Max wanted to laugh. “Shit. How do I say this?” He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. Carmella only blinked. “What is it?” she asked.

“Well, we’ve been together for a long time. So far, so good,” he murmured, staring at the ceiling thoughtfully.

“Yes,” Carmella nodded slightly. “We’ve been partners, and we work well together. Our strong dynamic has been proven through each job we finish. It’s been very beneficial.” Her response was curt, level-headed, but without emotion or feeling. It disappointed Max, but it just meant he had to push further with what he was trying to say.

“Marry me,” he blurted out abruptly, then immediately covered his mouth with a fist.

“Excuse me?” was the response he received from the woman he loved.

“I—I didn’t mean it like that. Uh, I want you to be my girlfriend? Clearly we haven’t been to that stage in which…you know…getting married…” he trailed off.

“What’s with this all of a sudden?” Carmella was blushing, and broke off eye contact with him. “I’m sorry, but I’m with Thomas, for who knows how much longer. Dating is fun, but after Danny, I don’t think I want to go through with that again.” It was a pathetic excuse, but she was scared as hell. Scared to lose herself, any aspect of her independence. Thomas let her be who she would. Business and pleasure didn’t intermix in her world. But at the same time, Max also let her be her own person. Still, he was part of her ‘work’ category, and she didn’t want to ruin their friendship.

“Danny? Who’s saying anything about Danny? He’s gone, Mel. And Thomas – does he actually care about you? Mel, we’ve been through this before.” Max tried to reach across the table to her hands which were now folded on the table. Before he had a chance to grasp them, she pulled her hands away and under the table. He grimaced. Carmella had a sorrowful look on her face. “You and me, we’ve been working together for years. We’re perfectly compatible in every way. I don’t want to have it any other way. I can’t see myself without you!” He was laying his cards out on the table, his very soul.

Carmella shook her head. “I can’t. If we were…dating…which we aren’t, we’d lose focus on the task at hand. Then we’d be risking our lives and—“ Before she could finish, Max cut her off. “Risking our lives any more so than we already do?”

“No, but,” She was looking for any excuse rather than to just admit that she didn’t want to lose him as a friend. “I’m already taken!”

“But you don’t love him?” They were exchanging words at a faster pace, and Carmella could no longer catch herself. Max had her cornered.

“Yes. No. I mean…you know what I mean. He lets me be my own person—“

“As do I.”

“But I see you every day when we work together. Isn’t that enough?” she asked, shaking her head.

Max had a serious look on his face. “No. Mel…Carmella…I need you. I love you. But if you can’t realize that, then I might just damn well move on and we’ll go back to ‘bitch, bastard’ and our other terms of endearments. It’ll be just as if we went back to the start.” He rose from his seat to move away from the table. Carmella remained seated, but she protested, wanting to reach out to him but didn’t. “Max, wait!”

She had hurt him. He walked away. And he was gone.

| » | present-day…night…reality. | « |

“Hey,” she heard, as her body was being shook awake. It was one of the tactics Carmella had used on Max when she tried to wake him up every so often. “Mel, wake up. I need to know if you’re okay.” She stirred, dark eyes fluttering open, only to reveal darkness and the familiar shape that was Maxwell Kane kneeling above her.

“Is it daylight yet?” she asked him. Max shook his head. “No. But you were out for a while there. I was just making sure you weren’t about to die on me here.” She thought she could see him smile, but maybe it was just her imagination. “Sit up. Here, let me help you.” A hand was under her back, trying to raise her up, and eventually she was sitting properly. “Does anything hurt?” Max began poking and prodding at vital areas of her body that were susceptible to breaking, most notably her legs.

“Everything hurts,” she laughed. “No. I think I just hit my head.” At saying that, she raised a hand to her head. “Did you find a way out yet?” Again, Max shook his head as a negative. “But I think I’m getting close. Can you walk? I don’t wanna leave you in here for more time than I have to.” Carmella nodded. “Yeah. I need to walk off my sleep. How the hell did we get down here anyway?” Max wouldn’t voice his answer to that. He knew it was her boyfriend’s doing. Mel was just too blind to see his dark side. It was a shame. He respected her better than that. He knew Mel better than Thomas, and this guy was blatantly hurting her.

Carmella knew it too. They walked, side by side, with Max leading the way, not quite knowing where he was leading her. It became apparent that they were really in the underground. The sewers, to be exact. It reeked of excrement and other vile things.

“Hey…about that night. You said you wanted to start dating.” An interesting segue indeed. This wasn’t going to turn out well. She didn’t mention the fact that Max had specifically stated that he loved her.

“Forget it,” Max replied. “It was a mistake.”

Carmella stopped in her tracks and held the elbow of his arm. “No wait.” She shifted the weight on her feet as she tried to prepare herself as to what she wanted to say. Reluctantly, Max stopped and turned towards her, hands in his pockets, inhaling, then exhaling, waiting to hear what she had to say. “All right. Why are you bringing this up now?” He took his hands out of his pockets and folded his arms.

And here she was. Vulnerable and weak, willing to bare everything to him. She was fidgeting with her gloves, a sure sign of nervousness. “I’ve been thinking about it. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking over the past few days, actually, and I think…no…I know that it would be very conducive for the both of us to…have an official relationship together. So, I accept your proposal of us officially being a couple.”

“You’re saying this now?” This wasn’t his Mel. She would never admit a mistake. She was too prideful. But Max looked around, anywhere but making eye contact with her. In the dark, he couldn’t see her anyway. “Yes. I am,” she replied in a very serious tone. Her hands were back to her own sides, afraid to touch him anymore.

“You know what? No. After six months, and a few days of thinking, you decide on a whim that you want to be in a relationship with me? It doesn’t work that way, Mel. No.” Inwardly, his heart skipped a beat. But she allowed him to move on with his life, and that’s what he was going to give her the impression of. “Look, I’ll get us out of here, get you back home to your brothers, but I’ve got someone else waiting up for me at home.” A lie, it was just his sister.

Carmella was surprised. “Since when did you get a girlfriend? When did you have time to date?”

Max was very stern. “I had time when you couldn’t.”

They continued walking in silence.

((We'll leave this at a cliffie.))

Last edited by Marguerite Blakeney; 01-28-2011 at 08:15 PM..

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 PM

WHY IS MAX SO STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

oH. Oh yeah.

cause I made him that way.

damn me

(gurl that was SOOOO good, I was like DAMNNNNIT MAXXXXX)

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 PM

LOL I had no idea what else to put but I hope it was worth it!

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 AM

I love love love - d it!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 AM

<33

I think I may end up writing a novel after this.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM

53. Keeping a Secret

Mines done, *finally* sorry for the wait. And it's kind of depressing. So I challenge you to some light hearted MaxMel goodness!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 AM

LOL but I liked it! I LOVED IT SO MUCH! *hugs* Don't feel bad about it ;_; it's exactly something I wanted!!!!!! *wants to cry but doesn't*

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 AM

I'm glad! I really liked it too, but I wanted to cry well I was writing it.

Sometimes I fucking love Max so hard!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 AM

xD Do you know how kinky that sounded?