Morien
*^_^*

Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 PM

... not been able to put it down?

Someone on this forum recommended Ella Enchanted, and I picked it up meaning to only read the first chapter before getting back to school work. Well, I couldn't stop reading it until I had finished. Then I read Fairest, which I absolutely adore now.

The same thing happened when I read Harry Potter for the first time. And Paladin of Souls.

I love books that do this to me.

So does anyone else have the same experience?

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 PM

That's happened to me before. Twilight was one. Most of Tamora Pierce's books did too. I was the same way with Ella Enchanted. It was so good. The promble with me is the book is usually about 500 pages so I skip sleeping for a night to finish reading it.

Julianna
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to Julianna

Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 PM

TAMORA PIERCE!

DD:

The Goddess of Yesterday, The Two Princesses of Bamare, tons other!
it always happen. lots of books do that to me,
soo i usually end up sleeping later then i originally plan. xD

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 AM

That hasn't happened to me in a long while. Most of the books I pick up now are nonfiction, so they don't exactly have the engrossing storyline to keep my nose in the pages. I love them to death, but it isn't the same.

I just finished Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, though, and I found it to be pretty addicting. Even though I knew the plot already beforehand, I just loved her language and elegant style.

nottyreloaded
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 AM

Thats happened to me alot, when i read a book that i like and its not for school :roll:. for some reason a book read for school to me is a boring book, Harry potter was one of those books that i couldntput down, and another was eragon and the sequel eldest, both were very good books.

Sedge
*^_^*
Send a message via Yahoo to Sedge

Old 05-31-2007, 01:38 AM

• Well, when it comes to reading books, I'm usually kind of slow; most of the time, it'll take a week or so, depending on how long it it or if I get side tracked.

However, there have been a few. Not really literally, but still. The Claidi Journals were some of the first books I ever really became obsessed about, and I think I read most of the first book in one night. That's a rare sort of thing with me, even with a short book like that.

More recently, there's been the Bloody Jack series. The first book took me several days, but the other three I tore through over the course of two days, each (maybe more for the last one). I neglected sleep even more than usual for those books. xD

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-31-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith W
That's happened to me before. Twilight was one. Most of Tamora Pierce's books did too. I was the same way with Ella Enchanted. It was so good. The promble with me is the book is usually about 500 pages so I skip sleeping for a night to finish reading it.
Yes and Yes - but not Ella Enchanted i haven't read it... but i guess i'll check it out if we have similar tastes and u like it

ok and this is gonna sound lame but
e. Lockhart "The Boyfriend list" and its sequel "The Boy Book"
total high schoool crap kinda book but for some reason (might have been my frustration) i just couldn't stop reading lol

oh and Sedge: my friend just recommended Bloody Jack to me- who's the author or what section can i find it in?>

Sedge
*^_^*

Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 AM

• The author's L.A. Meyer, and it should be in the juvenile/young adult section.

It is swell, yes. :3

Taiikou
Magical Panda

Old 06-01-2007, 05:39 AM

• Yes that's happened to me quite a few times. The first time it happened was when I was reading Dangerous Girls by R.L. Stine. One of his books for the teenagers. When I picked it up I did not put it down till I finished it. Well, besides when I had to use the bathroom; hehe. The same happened for Dangerous Girls 2. I was kind of sad in what happened in those books. I felt it could had gone differently.

Ever since there has been many books like that. The Cirque Du Freak series, Rainbow Boys and Rainbow High(not so much Rainbow Roads). Other books that had those effects on me was the Vampire Kisses series.

The mangas Gravitation also did this to me. I only wish I had the last six to read. Besides that I cannot honestly think of any other books that have done this.

I'd love to find more though. I suppose I should go through the lists of books people had placed up. Maybe something will catch my eye. Hehe.

snowflake
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 06-01-2007, 07:25 AM

I do that with tons of books. Any book that's pretty good I can't put down. it doesn't even have to be that great of a book. my friend loves twilight. she stayed up until like four in the morning reading it. I like The Clique series by Lisi Harrison, Harry Potter, Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted and Fairest, I loved The Two Princesses of Bamare, and the trilogy [Eragon, Eldest, Empire?] by Christopher Paolini. I've read them over and over and still can't put them down.

.p.uddin.g.
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 06-01-2007, 08:14 AM

yep.i started reading harry potter.
well my friend lend me.and i couldnt stop reading it till i finish.even though the next day i had test
>-<

Dearest
Master of Cupcakes

Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 AM

That happens to me a LOT!
When I read A Series of Unfortunate Events I had a hard time putting them down... Also, Eragon and Eldest definitely did that for me... it's so fantastic when a book is as captivating as those ^^
The Harry Potter books take up all my time as well, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Stardust by Neil Gaiman, and The Sandman comics...

There are so many great books out there, such a shame I don't have time to find and read them all... :(

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 06-01-2007, 11:42 AM

It happens to me alot too, I cant really name any off the top of my head. There are very few books that i want to stop reading.

aphrodite remix
I am not an adventurer by choice...
Send a message via MSN to aphrodite remix

Old 06-01-2007, 03:56 PM

yeah I've had moments like that some specific books were:

Wizards First Rule
Elfstones of Shannnara
Queen of the Damned
Any book from the Discworld series
Pride and Prejudice
Memoirs of a Geisha
Like of Pi

sayuri_nitta
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to sayuri_nitta

Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Terry Pratchett has unput downable books ^_^

Discworld series most notably =)

Rose-Mclane
*^_^*

Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM

That has hapend to me....but It seems like the Only book I noticed it with was Harry Potter. Any other book you could get me to do whatever,...now you have to prie me out of my corner of my room because I cant put the book bown.

It pisses my mom off......and I dont really care :twisted:

Sedge
*^_^*

Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM

• Oh yeah-- A Series of Unfortunate Events, too. I read books 6-10 in one sitting-- each, not all at once. xD

Book 11 took me a little longer, because I read the others while on a road trip and I guess that I read slower when I have other things to do.

Still need to read 12 + 13, though.

Fiziali
Fizi, Fizgig, Fizpop, ...(insert...

Old 06-02-2007, 04:49 AM

Hehe, to pick up a book and expect to put it down before it's through would be foolish of me. I love to read, and when I pick up a book I have to read it from cover to cover or I can't sleep at night, hehe. I was the same way in middle school, high school, and college.

My mother had a hard time tearing me away from my books to do my chores, and I always sat in the back of the classroom and if the class was boring, I'd pop open a book under my desk and read a bit, keeping an eye on the teacher so if he/she headed my way I could slip the book back into my backpack, lol. Oh I was so bad.

LillieRose
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-02-2007, 04:02 PM

I read most of Pratchett's and Gaiman's books in one sitting...the last book that I couldn't put down until I read it was Saki's Collected short stories...I'm a maniac when it comes to stories. ^_^
Oh and let's not forget Harry Potter and LOTR...And Philip Pullman's books were great also...especially the Northern Light...

Peprika
The Cannibal
Send a message via AIM to Peprika Send a message via MSN to Peprika Send a message via Yahoo to Peprika

Old 06-02-2007, 08:40 PM

That happens to me when reading books by Nora Roberts or Mary Higgins Clark. The book just pulls me in and I can't stop reading them. It just so happens that I have to stop reading them in order to not get grounded for reading before my chores. I also tend to read in class when I should be paying attention, I can't really help if the subject gets boring. I have been known to stop reading the history assignment and start reading whichever book I had been reading. It just so happened that I had read the lion the witch and the wardrobe, now I want 15 dollars to run to Wal*mart and grab the whole chronicles. :]

Caroline
stay gold

Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM

• The most recent book I wasn't able to put down was The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It was absolutely beautiful, and it flowed so well I didn't want to stop reading.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 AM

I'm a total bibliophile so it happens to me alot. i can't even say which books recently because its been about twenty different books in thhe last few weeks.
i love getting lost in books though- it takes my mind away from everything

There have been several times where i've been so involved in a book i didn't eat sleep or drink for two days lol

Sylria
*^_^*

Old 06-12-2007, 05:16 AM

I tend to do that to books. I get completely involved in the Harry Potter series, and tend to read them the night that I get them. That also happened when I read Eragon, and Eldest.

The most surprising book that, that happened to me with was Swan Song by Robert McCammon. My mom suggested it, but it didn't sound that great to me, but when I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. He also wrote a book called "Boys Life" which I also read non-stop. He is a an excellent writer.

tentenpuff
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to tentenpuff Send a message via Yahoo to tentenpuff

Old 06-12-2007, 05:44 AM

Definitely.

I'm prone to get glued to a book.

Jerry Spinelli books, and A Wrinkle in Time, haha.

^^;

But it's almost every book I read.

Unless it's like...a text book or something.

=P

Masquerade
*^_^*

Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 AM

I only do that with a few books, but it's definitely happened!

It happened to me with Harry Potter but not until the third book. I was a bit bored with the first two, but suddenly all these new concepts got introduced in the third and I was hooked. (Plus, we readers finally met the guy who owned the flying motorcycle. Love!) I finished the fourth book in a day, the fifth in a day and a half, and the sixth in a day and a half. I don't plan to sleep until I'm done reading the seventh.

Some high school friends of mine got me into the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop, and those were pretty good books to be glued to. Then she came out with a sequel to the trilogy called Dreams Made Flesh and I must have finished it in 24 hours.

Finally, I can zip through Jane Austen books pretty quickly because I love her writing so much.