Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:07 AM

Me, I'm very much a cat person. I try to befriend every cat I see. xD

I know some people say cats are aloof but my current kitty is sooooooooo snuggly! Even in the middle of summer when it's really hot, she wants to cuddle, and I'm like, "Nooooooooo!" 😛

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 04-25-2019, 01:25 AM

I used to be exclusively a cat person.

I was so into cats as a child that everyone who knew me knew I loved cats. I even was nicknamed "catwoman" at one point in my elementary school years. I knew all about the different breeds of cats and what they ate and how to care for them. I loved them so much! My second grade teacher gave me a homemade bookmark she made for me and it had cat stickers all over it!

Eventually, I had some mental health issues come up and my parents felt that I would benefit from having a "small" pet. And so...

They got me a chicken! His name was Cookie. Eventually, I had to return him to my dad's friend's farm. (They don't kill their chickens at the farm! They just collect eggs and let them run around.) And my dad's friend gave me a bunny.

Now, I didn't like bunnies much. I didn't know the first thing about caring for a bunny. But she was really cute. Years later, I realized that my bunny (Beans) was so adorable and so lovable. She would lick my nose and run around my feet.

I loved Beans and I learned that rabbits are the most abandoned pet of all the pets. People think rabbits are easy to take care of, and then they get one and realize how hard bunnies are and they drop them off in the woods and leave them. A lot of bunnies are bought for easter and then discarded a week later. :(

It hurts my heart. And now, I am a bunny person through and through.

Rabbits are my favorite animal!

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-25-2019, 01:59 AM

"Catwoman" is such an awesome nickname, haha. I never had any cool nicknames and now I feel jilted! 😛

It's funny you mention the mental health issues and getting a pet as a result - I got my cat because I transferred to a new high school and she really helped with the transition.

Anyway, that's so cool that you're a bunny person. I think bunnies are so cute, but I don't know too much about them. I'd heard bunnies are hard to take care of and seen the "don't give your kids a bunny for Easter" memos but it's so sad to think of all the poor bunnies just being discarded because people didn't realize how much work they'd be. ☹️ I wish people would do their research before getting a pet of any kind.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 AM

I've loved snakes since kindergarten, I don't remember why exactly, though my parents say it's because I'd learned that my Chinese zodiac is the snake.

I haven't really gone out to learn much about the different types of snakes though, I just learned about the general behaviors of snakes and how not to approach them, etc.

One vivid memory I had about one of my first encounters with a snake was when I was in kindergarten and was out on a walk with my brother near our home at the time and this huge cobra came slithering out from the side of the path; it was maybe five to seven feet long (can't remember exactly how long) and its hood was flared. My reaction was to charge towards it because I wanted to hug it. My brother held me back despite my struggles and I was so angry at him at the time, though now I am very glad he did

Anyway I've wanted to have a pet snake since kindergarten though my parents kept telling me no until recently...so I went and finally got my very own pet ball python about a couple years ago.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-30-2019, 05:01 PM

Oh, snakes are cool! Kinda freaky too, I guess, I can see why some people are scared of them, but I wouldn't be scared unless it was a really dangerous one.

Oh my gosh, I'm glad your brother did that too! D:
Otherwise there'd be no Nisty to talk to, and that would be sad.

Awesome! 😊 Is it hard to take care of?

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 05-01-2019, 12:10 AM

Yeah well I definitely won't be approaching a venomous snake! Or one large enough to kill me like some of those really giant pythons. Aside from those I really enjoy staring at them and if they don't mind it, hold them.

lol Yeah, I did a lot of stupid stuff as a kid. Sometimes I wonder just how I managed to make it adulthood without killing myself somewhere along the way.

Not at all! Just gotta make sure his water bowl is filled and feed him every week or so, along with making sure his tank is clean. Sometimes ball pythons go into random periods of not eating though, so I just try tossing mice at him every week and if he doesn't eat then I'll just put the mice away and try again next week. Oh and make sure the temperature is okay for him, like, not too hot or cold, etc. Our humidity is already high enough so no additional mechanisms for humidity control is needed.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 05-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Awww. I've always wanted to hold one.

Haha. I didn't do too many stupid things as a kid. Sometimes I feel like I need to make up for that, but then I'd probably regret it.

Oh, wow, I didn't realize he didn't need to be fed every day. 😮 Are the mice alive?? I assume they are and now I'm imagining you tossing live mice and cracking up. Poor mice though. 😛

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 05-07-2019, 01:41 AM

If you ever get the chance you should definitely hold one! The feel of their scales against the skin is so nice. I keep rubbing my hands all over my snake, probably to his annoyance

Yeah, best avoid doing any stupid things I was very lucky that I hadn't managed to kill myself, like with the incident with the cobra, that time I climbed out the window (I live on the tenth floor), and that time I stuck coins into an electrical socket.

Reptiles, or at least the carnivorous ones, usually don't need to be fed everyday from what I know. Yeah I prefer to feed my snake with live mice, I know a lot of people think it's inhumane but frozen mice are a hassle (we have no place to store them, my mom would throw a fit if I stored frozen mice in the freezer with the rest of our food) and that's how snakes in the wild get their food so I don't see why it's so bad.

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM

It was cats, until I became absolutely obsessed with ALPACAS.

They are such sweet and timid little creatures. I love them. I want to befriend them all.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 05-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Alpacas are cute! I've heard they can spit at people like llamas do though so I'd probably be a bit wary about approaching them.

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-08-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
Alpacas are cute! I've heard they can spit at people like llamas do though so I'd probably be a bit wary about approaching them.
They can spit, but rarely do they spit at humans. They will normally spit at other alpacas, especially males being more territorial. If a human is being spit on, they're more likely that they're being caught in the cross-fire than being the actual target.

They're fine to approach but they normally shy away or huddle together in groups.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 AM

Oh, that's nice to know.

I've only looked at them from afar, I think. Can't remember if I've ever touched one before.

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-08-2019, 04:20 PM

If you ever have the chance to touch one, DO IT. THEY ARE SO FLUFFY!!! Some don't like petted. But they don't like their heads touched, so touch the neck or back. Even if you want to pat their head fluff.

You'll see them sometimes at petting zoos. I live fairly close to a big amusement park that keeps alpacas in their petting zoo. So I always take time when I visit to go see my buddies and feed them. <3

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 AM

I haven't been to a petting zoo in forever it seems. I think the last time I saw an alpaca was when we went to Australia on vacation and there were a few there. Can't remember if I tried to pet them or not, though we did take pictures.