Sethmire
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 AM

I'm supposed to do a book report soon for school... I'm a gothic who is in love with vampire books [read Vampire Kisses and Twighlight] but frankly, I'm fresh out of books to read that sound interesting to me that I have found... Anyone have any good books willing to share? :] I'm open to most genre suggestions. =3

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 AM

Are you looking for vampire books or "gothic" books?

Michy Lea
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Michy Lea Send a message via MSN to Michy Lea Send a message via Yahoo to Michy Lea

Old 12-30-2008, 05:30 AM

I don't know about gothic, but for vampire books, I love the Argeneau series by Lynsay Sands. They're paranormal romance.

Sethmire
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdark_secretsx View Post
Are you looking for vampire books or "gothic" books?
well, I say gothic because often the title of "gothic" falls in with horror and dark books [like Cirque De Freak] but I would love to know of any good vampire books out there too :]

Sorry to confuse you

Katurine
Web Warrior for GrailKnights

Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM

Well...I don't really know much contemporary gothic novels, but you should definitely read some of Anne Rice's books from The Vampire Chronicles series, if you haven't yet. Also, Gabrielle Faust's "Eternal Vigilance" trilogy looks promising. As for now, I've only read the first part, "From Deep Within The Earth," as it's the only one already published, but the second part should be out in February. Anyway, "Eternal Vigilance" takes place in a post-apocalyptic world in the future(20something, maybe 30th century, I don't remember). The first book is only 200 pages or so thick and it's rather nice and easy to read. Not to mention, the cover is friggin' awesome. =3 My best friend made it. :D

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-30-2008, 04:20 PM

Hmm, I think I'm going to have to go geek on you and nitpick the use of the word "gothic".

The Gothic genre of fiction shouldn't be confused with horror or the modern goth fashion craze. It's a specific period of literature that stems more from the Romantics than you'd originally think. Think of it on the same terms as Gothic Architecture.
If you want to read truly Gothic literature, then you want things like:

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
The Adventures of Ferdinand Count Fathom by Tobias Smollett
The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne by Ann Radcliffe
Things as They Are by William Godwin
Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin

However, I think what you're looking for is more along the lines of these:

The King of Shadows by Maria Alexander
Pizza Man by Christa Faust
Petition by David J. Schow
Sunrise in Venice by Amelia G

Cemetery
Mene Penpal

Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Well, how about you throw out those twilight books and pick up a good Anne Rice book. Start from the first book which i think was Interview with a vampire and work down to the very last book.

Also, Twilight is not all that great.. Then again, I'm use to my vampires either combusting when sun hits or turning to stone.

jamilee-nicole
*^_^*

Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 PM

Ann Rice. Beware. Her vampires are so beyond twilight.

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethmire View Post
well, I say gothic because often the title of "gothic" falls in with horror and dark books [like Cirque De Freak] but I would love to know of any good vampire books out there too :]

Sorry to confuse you
It's okay, I understand you now. When I first read "gothic" I was thinking of what Knerd said.

I suggest Anne Rice, start with Interview with the Vampire.. that's, I believe, is the first in the series. I also suggest the "House of Night" series by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast and the "Vampire Academy" series by Richelle Mead if you want a different take on vampires. :)

Also the Cassandra Palmer series is good, it's not vampire but it has vampires in it, it's by Karen Chance. The first book in that series is "Touch the Dark". Ms. Chance has another series that takes place in the Cassandra Palmer series, but a different heroine, titled "Midnight's Daughter" it's about a vampire and involves characters from the CP series. :)

Katurine
Web Warrior for GrailKnights

Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 AM

Oh, and I forgot...Try Marffin Kyle's "Gothique." It has lots of vampires, and they're not nice guys at all. :P The story kinda fuses horror and detective story, it has a little of both genres. It's pretty nice, even if the author doesn't really know the goth subculture. I rather enjoyed it.