View Poll Results: Favourite One Piece Character?
Monkey.D.Luffy 3 75.00%
Zoro 0 0%
Nami 1 25.00%
Chopper 0 0%
Vivi 0 0%
Crocidile 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 PM

I just went through ten pages of Manga/Anime and can't believe I didn't see a single thread on One Piece! (or maybe my eyes just really hates me) So I decided to make one, for my current most favorite manga of all.

I'm not good at describing it, so here's a nice source for a brief summary on the manga/anime. Wiki.

Anyone watch/read this series? I used to not have much interest in it, as the drawing style was quite different from what I was used to back then (Kenshin, Naruto, etc.), but when I finally picked up a volume a few years ago, I immediately became obsessed. Been keeping up with the series on OneManga ever since.

So anyone care to share your opinions?
What characters do you like?
What do you think of the plot and setting?
How do you think the story will continue?

Last edited by Antagonist; 04-03-2012 at 04:06 AM..

Vaanistia
The Celestrium
Send a message via MSN to Vaanistia

Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 PM

One Piece is one of my favorite animes and mangas. it was also one of my very first animes. i remember when it frist came out of tv. i had watched it before i ever read the manga. i fell in love with it from the frist episode. i love Luffy, he's soo oblivious to everything except what he wants.

The plot of the manga is a pretty good one; i just can't believe how long it is. it's longer than Inuyasha. i think the setting of it is perfect. if it were in any other time it wouldn't seem right. with having the devil fruit powers, it would be not as interesting in a futuristic time and if it were in a past-like time, it would seem too mych like magic rather than what it is.

So far, i have read up to chapter 561 and if they actually execute Ace, i would be sad. though i wouldn't mind if they got rid of buggy the clown, he's not that great of a villain or a character. but that's just my opinion. i hope in the future that Luffy and Shanks would meet; that would be excellent. as for what is going to happen next, i'm hoping that it is something great.

Though, i do wonder how the crew is going to get back to the Thousand Sunny and meet up with Luffy? Or what will happen to Monkey D. Garp if Ace is executed? Will he stop them at the last minute or will he just sit there and watch?

I know that Garp isn't Ace's real grandfather, but after raising a child from a young age, it would be hard to watch them get executed and do nothing. that's just my thoughts.

Ponta
One is never too early to monolo...

Old 10-24-2009, 04:02 AM

When I first picked up Shonen Jump, One Piece probably had been my favorite story. However, I never subscribed to SJ and eventually took interest in different manga - forgetting about One Piece.

Then I saw a few parody amvs with One Piece along with some fan art of Sanji (my favorite), so I decided that maybe I'd watch the anime. Then I saw how many episodes there were ;-;

My last resort was opting out to reading some wiki articles. I don't know if I'll ever have the time to watch One Piece D: Same probably goes for the manga - it's just so long... like longcat long.

Belle Lune
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-25-2009, 04:13 AM

lol I just recently got into One Piece. I currently Own Volumes 1,2 and 10-13. I got volume 10- 13 at Mechacon when I was there. I didn't even own volumes 1 and 2 yet. I bought 1 on the last day of the event at books a million and Volume 2 a month later. lol.

Right Now i am aiming for volumes 3-9 and 14-22

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 AM

@Vaan: Indeed, the setting for it was perfect. I can't imagine it happen anywhere else...it would've seemed weird if they weren't pirates and on the sea.

I would be very, very upset if Ace is killed. He's one of my favorite characters in the series. Luffy didn't really catch my interest until he met up with Orihime; they are a hilarious pair! Luffy being completely oblivious to Orihime's feelings and Orihime blushing everytime Luffy does something regarding her. Like melting into a heap of blush when Luffy embraced her for giving him Ace's key. :lol:

I'm also very curious as to how they are going to meet up again...like, they're totally scattered all over the place. And Luffy is the only one who's got Vi-whatsis paper on Ace an the piratess back on the zombie island. I also hope Kuma hasn't really completely turned into an android...he might be scary, but I still think he's a pretty good person.

I've been considering collecting the manga...though after seeing how many volumes there is, I'm getting second thoughts. :sweat: I'll wait for the ending and if it's good, I'll probably try to save up for a collection.

@Ponta: lol Longcat long indeed :XD Yeah, Wiki's kind of long...but I really have no idea how to shorten it into something short, but eye-catching at the same time without leaving any vital points out. :sweat: The manga's also long, but really great. The mangaka doesn't leave anything out, I really like how he brings back old characters that appeared to have disappeared, but only to shop up in later chapters. I love the short series he has for the starting page too, that tells us of what happens to the other characters after they parted...

@Belle: Good luck getting all the volumes! I shudder to think of how much it's going to cost me when I decide to buy them all at once after the series ends...:gonk:

Belle Lune
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-26-2009, 01:39 AM

I really want them so I don't have to constantly look at them on the internet. I also want to support the Mangaka.

Luffy is my Favoriate

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 AM

Yeah. One of the reasons why I want to buy them...not that the mangaka hasn't made enough off all those side products already. :P

I like Ace, Crocodile (at first I thought he was a bastard, but after Impel Down, I thought he was pretty funny), and Orihime (another bastard I hated, but then after she fell head over heels over Luffy she became more of a comedian to the plot than some high and almighty queen :XD). There might be some more, but I can't remember them at the moment...:sweat:

Vaanistia
The Celestrium

Old 10-26-2009, 05:16 PM

One has to love the stupid fights that happen between Sanji and Zorro. I'm gald that with the FUNimation taking over that anime, they kept alot of the original work, like sanji's ciggarette, not a lollipop and Zorro's name isn't zolo anymore.

Belle Lune
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 PM

I have now clue why in the Manga it Zolo and not Zorro. It just confused the heck out of me.

InevitableDisaster
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 PM

One Piece is one of my favorite manga ever.
There's just something about the story and the characters that I adore.
My favorite characters are Usopp, Zoro, and Sanji.
I've read every chapter, but stop watching the episodes at about 357... I believe.

Belle Lune
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 AM

I stopped reading the manga at around Skypedia. I think the Skypedia arc was coming to an end when I stopped

InevitableDisaster
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Lune View Post
I stopped reading the manga at around Skypedia. I think the Skypedia arc was coming to an end when I stopped
I think Skypeia ruined One Piece for a lot of the fans.
I'm not sure what it was about the arc, but I know a lot of people that quit reading/watching during Skypeia.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 10-27-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaanistia View Post
One has to love the stupid fights that happen between Sanji and Zorro. I'm gald that with the FUNimation taking over that anime, they kept alot of the original work, like sanji's ciggarette, not a lollipop and Zorro's name isn't zolo anymore.
A lollipop?! What the hell? >___>;

I like the Skypeia-arc thing. It's the part where they were fighting the thunder guy, right? I thought it was funny how he attacked Luffy with all those volts and it didn't affect him because he was a rubberman.

I have a feeling it's going to be a veeeery long time before One Piece ends.

TheYaoiButterfly
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to TheYaoiButterfly Send a message via Yahoo to TheYaoiButterfly

Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Thar be spoilers here: (just as a forewarning)(the spoilers are mainly for the water 7 arc)
I personally really enjoy One Piece...it's not perfect by any means...and the artwork for the more recent stuff has gotten a tad bit weird in my opinion. But I can like just about every character that is in the series...though there are some exceptions (like Crocodile) but for the most part I actually like a fair number of the villians xD like the CP9 members that were in Galley La <3 and Bon Kurei...and some others too. But I think a series that can get you to like its characters is doing a good job.

But yeeeaaaah...Crocodile is one of those characters you love to hate. Seriously...the guy was an asshole...I think he might be the only villan in the series that I don't like. I don't have problems with some of the other villans...like Lucci, Kaku, Bon Kurei...etc. Crocodile just pisses me off to no end.

@Fading Existence: oooohhhhh yeah....4Kids gave Sanji a fucking Lollipop! Dx it pissed me off that they did that DX and they altered so many other people's names...like Ace...he was renamed TRACE Dx uuuggghhhh...and Smoker was renamed CHASER...CHASER! What the hell is with that? *seethes for a while*

okay...better...and yeah...the series has a ways to go...I think right now they're in the middle of saving Ace from Impel Down. I think it either has already...or it's going to turn into a all out war...Luffy is there to save Ace, Whitebeard is there too...it's going to be insane.

Last edited by TheYaoiButterfly; 10-27-2009 at 06:54 PM..

Vaanistia
The Celestrium

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM

I'm very glad that FUNimation took over the anime, they're making it really great. i personally loved the skypeia arc. i only had problems with the 4kids version, they didn't do a very good job with a lot of the changes they made.

Belle Lune
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 AM

I like Ace also. The first time I saw I thought he was adorable for worrying about Luffy. They are really brothers even though they aren't blood related.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM

I've never watched the anime before so I don't know what it's like...though I'm pretty sure the versions here didn't cut it too bad. I know that in the states 4Kids butchers the animes, like erasing Zork Necrophia's phallus-like dragon head and making it look completely weird, altering the cards, etc., and that I heard the dubbing was horrible...sometimes I wonder why they even bother broadcasting the anime if they're going to completely mutilate it.

Bon Cray stopped being a villain a looong time ago, I think it was right after Crocodile was defeated, he became BFFs with Luffy. I really, really hope he won't die in Impel Down after sacrificing himself to get them out. He's one of my fav characters too, even if he's an (awesome) okama XD

...If they ever renamed Ace 'Trace' and Smoker 'Chaser' here, I'd go and blow up the TV station. >__>

Yeah, they're in the middle of this huge war right now. The Marines are up to something and Luffy's going nuts trying to get to Ace. I hope Hawkeyes doesn't kill him, he's scary, slicing open that mountain of an ice glacier with just one swipe o_O Also hope that Kuma hasn't really lost all traces of humanity...he was rather interesting. I like his Kuma Kuma fruit XD I can't wait to see what new changes the appearance of the army of Kumas will bring to the battlefield in the next chapter!

Vaanistia
The Celestrium

Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading Existence View Post
I've never watched the anime before so I don't know what it's like...though I'm pretty sure the versions here didn't cut it too bad. I know that in the states 4Kids butchers the animes, like erasing Zork Necrophia's phallus-like dragon head and making it look completely weird, altering the cards, etc., and that I heard the dubbing was horrible...sometimes I wonder why they even bother broadcasting the anime if they're going to completely mutilate it.

Bon Cray stopped being a villain a looong time ago, I think it was right after Crocodile was defeated, he became BFFs with Luffy. I really, really hope he won't die in Impel Down after sacrificing himself to get them out. He's one of my fav characters too, even if he's an (awesome) okama XD

...If they ever renamed Ace 'Trace' and Smoker 'Chaser' here, I'd go and blow up the TV station. >__>

Yeah, they're in the middle of this huge war right now. The Marines are up to something and Luffy's going nuts trying to get to Ace. I hope Hawkeyes doesn't kill him, he's scary, slicing open that mountain of an ice glacier with just one swipe o_O Also hope that Kuma hasn't really lost all traces of humanity...he was rather interesting. I like his Kuma Kuma fruit XD I can't wait to see what new changes the appearance of the army of Kumas will bring to the battlefield in the next chapter!

4kids actually cut out episodes that they didn't want to put in the anime and FUNimation put them back in the anime, so they're doing every episode. Also, the voices are completely better in the FUNimation version. so far, i don't think FUNimation is going to change any names. since the kept Zorro as Zorro and not Zolo. i personally hope Zorro destroys Hawkeyes.

TheYaoiButterfly
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to TheYaoiButterfly Send a message via Yahoo to TheYaoiButterfly

Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 PM

@Vaanistia: D: but I like Hawkeyes *flails* he's awesome D:

If Ace were to be executed...I don't think I could watch the series anymore Dx HE BETTER NOT DIE D< I'd have to go find Oda and hurt him Dx

Belle Lune
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYaoiButterfly View Post
@Vaanistia: D: but I like Hawkeyes *flails* he's awesome D:

If Ace were to be executed...I don't think I could watch the series anymore Dx HE BETTER NOT DIE D< I'd have to go find Oda and hurt him Dx
So would I. Ace is awsome.

TheYaoiButterfly
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 AM

Seriously...I think One Piece would loose a major part of its fanbase if Ace were killed...He's one of my favorite characters...if not my favorite character next to Lucci, Paulie, and Smoker.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 10-29-2009, 06:35 AM

Ah, seems that Ace is popular XD I've had trouble finding fellow Ace-supporters here. Everyone seems to be more interested in Zorro, Sanji, and the other Luffy crew...though I guess it's understandable since Ace didn't make much of an appearance until recent chapters.

@Vaan: Oh. That's good. I don't know what FUNimation is, but as long as they're doing the episodes properly it's good. 4Kids can go rot for all I care. >_>;
As for Hawkeyes...I'm keeping reserved thoughts on him. Not much of his character is known so I don't know if I'll like him or hate him yet.

TheYaoiButterfly
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-29-2009, 04:12 PM

@Fading Existance: O_O how could Ace NOT be popular?! The guy is fucking awesome! I mean...that whole fight between him and Smoker when he's first introduced into the story was epic in my mind. And then there was the fight between him and Blackbeard, which I haven't seen, but it looks like it was pretty fricken awesome. And THEN there's the time when he's first introduced and he's on the ship with the Strawhats, and he took out maybe 4 ships (if not more) with one attack. And I personally think Ace is quite good looking too >_> and you HAVE to love his personality xDDDD I'm fairly certain a lot of it is just a facade...but you got to love his laid back personality...and his narcoleptic attacks amuse the hell out of me xDDDDD How he is not loved to death by every One Piece fan is beyond me.

Vaanistia
The Celestrium

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM

in honesty, i really hope they bring Shanks in the anime and the manga more. he's one of my fav characters. i find him very hilarious.

Belle Lune
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 PM

I like it when hes drunk with Hawkeye.