Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 AM

Everyone has their favourite Disney film... but what other cartoon movies do you like? And how do they fair compared to some of your fave Disney pieces?

Which scene was sadder... The death of Bambi's mother, or Little Foot's? (From Don Bluth's Land Before Time)
Compare Disney's first full-length animation (Snow White) to Dreamwork's (Prince of Egypt). Which one is more entertaining, which one had more memorable scenes?

So... what are your favourite non-Disney 2D movies and why?

Side-topic: Should Dreamworks have continued making 2D films?

iFailed
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM

My favorite non-Disney animated movie has to be The Last Unicorn. I absolutely love the artwork, characters, and the songs. (Even though the love song in the middle is wicked corny. Which is to be expected, I suppose).

Last edited by iFailed; 10-07-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Pa-pancake
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via MSN to Pa-pancake

Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM

At the top of my head now... I think I am going to go with Anastasia! Yes, I know it is totally bullshit if you compare it to the real story... LOL! like a lot of Disney movies actually... But the songs in the movie are lovely and the storyline despite it being really unrealm, is pretty good. It is creepy in a not so scary way which is perfect for kids. Plus, the animals are just too darn adorable! I mean, an evil but cute bat and the puppy! You just want to grab them and cuddle them!!! ^^ Also helps that I love both the main voice actors. Meg Ryan and John Cusack fit the roles so well...

ThorsViking
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 AM

FurnGully: The Last Rainforest.

Tim Curry is a powerhouse villain as Hexxus. Robin Williams as Batty was genius. Tone Loc singing, and Cheech and Chong as Christian Slater's gang.

What more does one movie need?

Pa-pancake
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via MSN to Pa-pancake

Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsViking View Post
FurnGully: The Last Rainforest.

Tim Curry is a powerhouse villain as Hexxus. Robin Williams as Batty was genius. Tone Loc singing, and Cheech and Chong as Christian Slater's gang.

What more does one movie need?
I found FurnGully very very dark but a beautiful story and the whole forest world was designed with such detail at that time. I think when I was younger I could not appreciate it much. Plus, I didn't think so many famous actors voiced the characters! Tim Curry... wow! The most awesomest villain ever!

The villain is a unique one... I find it really scary and the song he sung was especially disturbing. Wow... I remember every bit of it now how the tree is like in some dark corner. Damn, I want to watch it again!

Oh! and who knew that truck wood cutter machine looked so cool from the inside!

Scathe
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Probably The Secret of NIMH, I liked the animation in it a lot and when I was a kid I liked it because it seemed darker then other animated movies, also cool is the people who made the movie put so much effort into it paying for a lot of the film with their own money hoping to get a good return on it, sadly it did not do well when it was released but it's still a great movie.

Also a close second is Titan A.E which has same director as NIMH? he worked on a lot of good stuff.

starpower

Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 AM

It's a tie between Balto, All Dogs Go To Heaven, and The Iron Giant. at least I think they're all non-disney movies, I'm not 100% sure on that though.

The Iron Giant was just such a great storyline and the plot always gives me these really deep thoughts about how humans would react if something similar like that happened. Plus the movie always just made me cry and I'm a sucker with sad movies.
Balto, the fact that it was based on a true story was just wonderful. I've always felt as if there weren't enough animated movies based on a true story. Plus I watched this movie non-stop when I was a child.
All Dogs Go To Heaven - I can't really remember much about this movie, I haven't seen it for a good ten years. I just know it was one of my all time favorite movies/tv shows.

sailor star rainbow
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM

I would have to say Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation. reason why it was a great movie it had a lot of fun songs two it. the movies teach kids how to share,care,be kind to others and even teach them how to share there feelings. considering this movie was made in 1986 I thought it. was really cool how the care bear cousins came in to the story. at first the find one then as the story moves a long. they find a other yet I have to say Dark Heart I had think he was miss understood villain at first. even if he is just a wee bit scary at times but I like seeing how. True heart en Noble Heart horse raised the care bear cubs as well the care bear cousins as babies. it had a lot of great song's two it heck the first song that plays at the being of the film. is sweet,soft yet lovely all at the same time as a child it made me feel safe.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 PM

Iron Giantis one of my favorites. I love that movie and the animation is amazing. I also like most of Don Bluth's films with the exception of a Troll in central park. I just can't like that movie and never could.

That's as far as American animation goes.

Peach King

Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 AM

A Troll In Central Park, All Dogs Go to Heaven.

Definitely outside of the whole "disney" comfort zone, but amazing quality animation nonetheless.

AcidDrop
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 PM

my fav. non-disney animated film... Anastasia <3

OfeliaLaroose
Revived

Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM

All of everyone elses favorites are in my top favorites too but I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOOOVEEE Thumbelina.
and Rockadoodle.
:D

BinkaKitty
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 AM

Hmm...this is such a hard one, so many good movies to choose from. I'd have to say that it would either be Thumbelina, The Prince of Egypt, or The Road to El Derado.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 PM

I like Anastasia and The Swan Princess. Both had good songs, storyline and animation for their time.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 AM

I think as the holiday arrives, the Halloween Tree!

lizrd356
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-03-2012, 02:09 AM

my favorite non disney cartoon has to be thumbelina i remember when i first watched it i didn't even know it wasn't a disney movie till i was fifteen and read the cover.

Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 AM

Oh wow, so many fans of Don Bluth's works!

OfeliaLaroose
Revived

Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Don Bluth ROCKS!!!

ainebella
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to ainebella

Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM

I loved The Last Unicorn, still love it. I also love Don Bluth films, and FurnGully: The Last Rainforest.

Chen
The Commoner

Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 AM

Ferngully was great, the villian, can't remember his name, the black toxic being was very scary to watch as a kid.

lizrd356
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 AM

thumblina was a good one.

Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Chen: You mean Hexxus? He was one of my favourite villains as a kid BECAUSE he was scary XD I mean, he was a sludge turned black skeleton turned gaseous abomination!

Vox
*^_^*

Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 AM

Charlotte's Web. I watched that VHS tape so many times as a kid that I broke it and still kept asking my dad if we could rent it from the store. :P

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM

oh god! Too many!
  • Theif and the Cobbler- SOO GOOD-
  • Thumbelina
  • Fern Gully
  • All Dogs go to Heaven -1 & 2-
  • Balto
  • Swan Princess-1,2,3-
  • The Road to Eldorado- I still have a crush on Miguel-
  • Princess and the Goblin
  • Secrets of Nihm
  • An American Tale/ An American Tale: Fievel goes west
  • We're Back! A Dinasour Story
  • Land Before Time -I've only seen the first 3 though-
  • A Troll in Central Park
  • Anastasia
  • The Iron Giant
  • The Pagemaster-killed my VHS of that one-
  • Cats don't Dance
  • Osmosis Jones
  • Titan A.E
  • Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Gay Purr-ee - bet most of you don't know that one ^.^'-...

umm... I think this is most of the list I own... Trying to remember them all is hard when your not at home *laughs*
Then theres a list of ones I don't own... but I'm not sure on that one too much....

Last edited by Codette; 11-09-2012 at 07:28 PM..

Chen
The Commoner

Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba_Ryuun View Post
Chen: You mean Hexxus? He was one of my favourite villains as a kid BECAUSE he was scary XD I mean, he was a sludge turned black skeleton turned gaseous abomination!
Most probably yes.