View Poll Results: Does this plot interest you?
Yes 6 100.00%
No 0 0%
It could be better... (Please post how) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-17-2012, 04:25 PM

IntroductionX

INTRODUCTION:

I am looking for people interested in starting an original storyline roleplay set as a high fantasy action-drama. The plot outlined below allows for many directions for the story to lead, and will require a great deal of character interaction/relationship building and allows for dynamic action.

That said, while this is the sort of game a character can be maimed/killed in, we are all aware that this will only occur with the permission of the character owner and you will never be required to submit your OC to such fates. Know that these elements of realism are appreciated, but I would like to stress that the purpose of this game is not to create a blood bath, rather it is to build an engaging and realistic roleplay storyline. Naturally, if your character does get killed you will be welcomed to create another and re-enter the story.

I would like for this game to be open for semi-literate (read: "mostly literate") to advanced posters. While large posts and details would be most appreciated, I understand that a lot of RPers have busy schedules and can't always spend the time to create epic posts as is their want, so I will suggest not be making a paragraph requirement on each post, though you are encouraged to write between 2-3 per post. Mostly I would like the emphasize the quality of the character relationships rather than the length of posts.

THE PLOT:

Sindlarei is a sprawling elven empire, encompassing forests, mountains, plains and seas, but despite it's success it is starting to fall into decline as enemies approach from the East and turmoil boils from within. While some regions seem to have lost most of it's ties with the royal authorities and reverted into wilder lands, in general life in the empire has yet to be majorly effected by the shaky foundations their society is built upon. Because of the recent chaos the Empress, in fear for own own safety, has not left her high palace in many centuries and all of her commands have been sent through four of her seven children to the public. The remaining three have similarly not been seen for many years, though rumors are spreading of dark deeds occurring behind the palace walls and darker still are whispers about the whereabouts of the missing three.

The rebellion leaders and their factions are vying for power in hopes that they might become the new inheritors of the empire and treachery is becoming endemic within their political circles. To date none of the deaths of rebel leaders can be directed pinned on any of the others, but there is a great deal of speculation on inside jobs and double agent-like activity. The plans of the rebels are many and varied extending to marriage to one of the Empress' children and seizing power or to all out war.

The war to the East rages as well as the battles against the rebels, and generals are desperate for commands from their Empress. Here too leaders vie for glory and prestige over their peers. While none have fallen victim to the hands of their competitors, blood is running hot through the veins of rivals.

CHARACTER CREATION:

If you are interested in participating in this game, please make sure to read this section before you fill out/post your character sheet. A number of 'roles' are limited so do try to post these as soon as you are able, especially if your intend to take a role that would be limited in number (like one of the Imperial children).

Character BuildingX

CHARACTER BUILDING:

Because of the chance that your character might not 'survive' for the entirety of the game/story, creating a new OC is one easy option to get over the trepidation of potentially losing them as the story progresses-- I know I don't want my characters to die, but if it works within the story I'm alright for taking one for the team, especially if I don't have as much of a history with the character I'm planning on playing.

However, because we are going to be essentially building a new world (as you... gathered from the "original storyline, fantasy" description) there are a few limitations I've set up so that it doesn't get too disjointed at the start:

• Playable Races include: Elf, Human, Half-elven.
    The majority of the Empire is of Elvish descent.
  • Main Factions: Imperial family/advisers, Rebels, Army, Villagers, Outlanders.
  • Please remember that all characters should fit the world settings:
    Early Medieval/Northern European style fantasy.
  • Give your character a suitable name.
    (Think Lord of the Rings for elven names, but please do not use cannon names)
  • Try not to create characters that are overly "secretive"/antisocial.
  • Silly or over-the-top characters are fun but do not fit this particular storyline.
  • Its okay (and you are encouraged) to be a little good or a little evil.
    Consider your character's ambitions rather than black/white personality descriptions.

FILLING OUT THE CHARACTER SHEET:

I realize that the fields "origin" and "faction" on the character sheet seem a little ambiguous. Origin is a brief description of your background (so "Imperial family" or "a farming family from the West" could fill this place) whereas faction gives us an understanding of where your character is initially standing as they are introduced to the story.

It is possible to be a part of multiple factions, though likely your character will have a stronger affinity to one in particular. If this is the case you should list the most pertinent faction on your character sheet first.

POSSIBLE MOTIVES BASED ON FACTION:

These are some possibilities you can consider while building your character. Keep in mind this is not something you have to post under the "Ambition" field if you don't want to, but if you feel your character's particular ambition can be defined by one of these thoughts feel free to use or build off of it.

Imperial Family/Court:
Preserving the line of succession
Overtaking the line of succession
Survival of self and/or family
Denied pursuits
Keeping the empire stable

Rebellion: (Causes of:)
Lack of interest/care in the common person and their needs,
High taxes with little to show for it
Fake war to the East
Unjust rule
False Empress
Empress is from the wrong family

Army:
Fulfilling duty
Seeking power to fulfill vendetta
Seeking power to gain political favor

Villagers:
Survival of self, family and way of life

Outlanders:
Survival of self, family and way of life

Character SheetX

HTML Code:
[CENTER][SIZE="5"][b][font=Papyrus]Character name[/font][/b] [/SIZE]
character image reference and/or detailed description
[/CENTER]

[b]Gender:[/b] 
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Physique:[/b] 
[b]Origin:[/b] 
[b]Faction:[/b] 
[b]Relationships:[/b] 
[b]Personality:[/b] 
[b]Likes:[/b]  
[b]Dislikes:[/b]  
[b]Ambitions:[/b]  

[b]Biography:[/b]

DISCUSSION TOPICS:

Game Mechanics:

World Mechanics:
Elven magic: Yes, but limited to green/petty magic. Further discussion will be in OOC.

Last edited by Mythos; 11-27-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM

COMPLETED CHARACTERS:

Mythos: AldelrosX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos
Aldelros
((character image forth-coming))

Race: Elven
Physique: 6'2" and fit
Origin: Imperial family
Faction: Imperial family
Relationships: Not romantically involved
Personality: Serious, but still approachable. He is not particularly hot-headed, but can be pushed into it.
Dislikes: Imperial cities and his family.
Ambitions: To join and command the Sindlarei army.

Biography: Aldelros is the third of the Empress' seven children and grew up within the walls of the palace. He has always held an interest in the world beyond the reaches of the Sindlarei empire but knew that he would not likely have the opportunity to venture to these places being born into such a position as he was. He has a limited number of connections and a fairly good reputation with the military thanks to generals coming in and out of the palace to confer with his mother.

After several increasingly ugly arguments (a few even turning violent) about the Empress' self-inflicted quarantine, Alderos finally left the palace at the age of 265 and has refused to return since.

Darcylynn: AithneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcylynn View Post
Aithne

Race: Half-elven
Physique: 4'8 and slim
Origin: orphaned sister of three
Faction: outlander
Personality: warmhearted, but easily frightened. it takes time to earn her trust.
Likes: people watching, singing cheerful songs and hunting rabbits.
Dislikes: Imperial cities, selfrichious brutes, and being cornered.
Ambitions: to find a friend and rebuild her life
Biography: the eldest child of three unclaimed orphans, Aithne has always tried to do right by her sisters.
She is in town now in order to scout the area and look for a safe place for her family to rest and blend with the surroundings... at least, that seems to be the theory.

Angelo: JaikarX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Jaikar

Race: Elf
Physique: 6’3” and fit
Origin: Defected Imperial Officer
Faction: Rebels
Relationships: None, though some say he’s sweet on their camp’s blacksmith
Personality: He has a rather youthful optimism and a passionate spirit. Though he can sometimes focus too hard on the war, he usually manages to keep it from oppressing him like it does to others. His infectious cheer is a huge morale booster for his soldiers and helps explain their undying loyalty to him and he to them.
Dislikes: Dealing with idiots, being lonely, and the reclusion of the Empress
Ambitions: To unite the Rebel camps and overthrow the Empire

Biography: Growing up in the Imperial City, Jaikar had always had a good life. He never went hungry or thirsty, and he had just about everything he wanted. Like most youthful men, he went to join with the army, quickly rising through the ranks to become a commander. Still, the horrors he had seen the army commit, and that the Empire allowed to continue were too much for him. He deserted in the middle of the night, taking nothing but a horse, his sword, and some supplies. He made it to the Rebel camp where he joined the fight to stop the corruption in the Empire. When the old leader was assassinated, the people quickly elected him their new leader. Now he seeks to unite the Rebels on one solid front with which to combat the Empire’s army.

The raid on the slave camp was rather double-sided, as they needed both the metal inside the mine and wanted to free the slaves that were holed up there. He led a small group of ten men into the settlement directly outside, breaking into buildings to incapacitate the slavers before moving onto the mine itself where the prisoners were kept. Two of the men he had brought with them were adept at spells, or as much as any elf was in the magic-dry land. They quickly moved from door to door, opening the locks with a few muttered words here and there. Just as they had been finishing up, the hired thugs barged in and began fighting despite the close quarters while their bosses went about hacking at support beams to collapse the whole thing. That’s where he had met Itzli. He ordered his men to help as many slaves out as possible, and was on his way out himself when he spotted a shock of filthy pink hair lying on the ground. Without thinking, he darted in and grabbed the unconscious girl before hauling out of the crumbling cave. He passed through just in time too; a moment’s hesitation would’ve meant both of their deaths. From then on, the two of them have been rather close through a mutual understanding that neither of them ever formally vocalized.

Angelo: ItzliX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Itzli

Race: Human
Physique: 4’ and rather emaciated
Origin: A slave mine out in the hills
Faction: Rebels (she’s a blacksmith prodigy)
Relationships: She’s one of the General’s closest friends
Personality: She’s rather timid, dependent, and withdrawn due to the horrors she had seen at the slave camp, but that means she’s a great listener and quite inconspicuous. She’s also rather inventive, having created bags of black powder that can create a lot of smoke.
Likes: Working with metal, hanging out with Jaikar, the smell of fire and smoke, and testing out new inventions
Dislikes: Failing at a job, yelling, making anyone mad, and being taken from her work.
Ambitions: To create the best items ever and help the Rebels overthrow the Empire so that the fighting can stop.

Biography: Born to a terribly poor family on the further edges of the Empire, she was sold into slavery so that her family could continue to feed themselves. The camp was terrible, with exhausting labor every day and all the while trying to fight through the haze of the sedatives they were forced to ingest to keep them docile. A failure to meet their quota by even one unit of metal was punished with the most severe punishment available: forty lashes with a whip. They were kept just on this edge of death to keep them from rioting and to maximize profit. That was the kind of life she lived for ten years, her spirit utterly broken down and spread thin. But then, a rebel group came through and overthrew the owners of the camp, freeing all of the slaves. Unfortunately, the owners were having none of that, and so they attempted to collapse the mine on as many slaves and rebels as they could, of which Itzli was one. Jaikar saved her, though she only learned who he was after the ordeal.

The two of them became rather close friends then; his presence an anchor that kept her from giving up at adjusting to her new life. The withdrawal from the sedatives was bad enough, but she had never realized just how much they dampened the pain until after they were gone. Several times throughout her recovery she had broken various somethings or had a tantrum of monstrous proportions. Strangely, Jaikar was the only one who had been able to calm her down when she had an episode, which was probably one of the sources of the rumours that he was romantically interested in her. Still, it was true that he had never given up hope on her during that period of her life: giving her a job with the blacksmith when he realized how good she was with metals and occasionally asking her for advice.

Sabiir: SylnaeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiir
Sylnae
(lit. Silver Oak)

Physique: Willowy, 5'6"
Origin: Small village to the east
Faction: Imperial Army, Healer/Herbalist
Relationships: She often butts heads with her commanding officers, on fairly good terms with the men & women she patches up, however. None romantic.
Personality: For an elf and healer, she has a rather large hot-headed streak. The best word for her is fiery. Syl is not afraid of anything or anyone (that she'll let show) and this gets her into more scraps than she cares to admit.
Likes: Learning, gathering her herbs, practicing her small magics on the side.
Dislikes: Being told no, spells going awry, generally failing at anything.
Ambitions: Secretly, she desires the old magics, the power that comes with it. But for the time being, Syl is content to work towards gaining a mastery of the herbal remedies and clerical uses of spellwork.
Biography: Syl was born on the outskirts of the kingdom, but as the war progressed her family moved in closer towards the capitol to raise their children without the threat of fighting. It had however, already 'infected' Syl to some degree. She became troublesome, stubborn, often disapearing into the forests for hours at a time. Her parents, at a loss, chose to send her to the village's cleric. She picked up these newly presented skills quickly, outstriping her mentor after a score of years.
After this, Syl moved on to be recruited by the Imperial army, and now serves as the head Healer in her stationed battalion.

MewMint20: MilwaneeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMint20
Milwanee

Physique: slim, muscular but curvy where it counts.
Origin: Imperial Family
Faction: Imperial Family
Relationships: Not romantically involved.
Personality: Sweet and usually gentle. She doesn’t really care for the empress and is more concerned with finding her siblings.
Dislikes: Being scolded, feeling left out of the loop. Her family fighting.
Ambitions: To find her missing/runaway siblings.

Biography:Milwanee is the youngest of the Empress’ children. She grew up inside the palace walls. She had no real interest in leaving until her siblings started to. Although she never stood up to anyone during arguments and fights she wishes they hadn’t occurred. She was always pampered because of being the youngest, yet she made sure to not be spoilt, sharing what she got.

She has read multiple refusals of return from Alderos, she decided to set out and find him and her other siblings who left.

Last edited by Mythos; 11-26-2012 at 12:38 AM..

Darcylynn

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Aithne

Image:

Race: Hybrid

Physique: 4'8 and slim

Origin: orphaned sister of three

Faction: outlander

Personality: warmhearted, but easily frightened. it takes time to earn her trust.

Likes: people watching, singing cheerful songs and hunting rabbits.

Dislikes: Imperial cities, selfrichious brutes, and being cornered.

Ambitions: to find a friend and rebuild her life

Biography: the eldest child of three unclaimed orphans, Aithne has always tried to do right by her sisters.
She is in town now in order to scout the area and look for a safe place for her family to rest and blend with the surroundings... at least, that seems to be the theory.

Last edited by Darcylynn; 11-22-2012 at 12:26 AM..

Whimzica
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Whimzica

Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Few questions, but definitely interested.
Would it be alright for an elven character to possess either green or petty magics? (You dont mention it, but I thought perhaps it'd be alright within reason. No giant.. fireballs.. or whatever. xD ) And, these factions arent defined much, so we can add our own flavor/reason for said faction to be revolting?

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 AM

Sabiir: Yes! Limited green/petty magic could be quite nice, actually. I had originally based my plan on a kind of magic-less society, but there's absolutely no reason why small amounts can't be about as long as we define the limits to it right off the bat.

Something like minor green or petty magic (which I believe means conjuring little fairy lights that go out after a few minutes or other things in that vein/level of power, yes?) would work well, I'd think... whatever you could define as an 'elven trick' rather than blowing holes through walls by some crazy eldritch means or instantaneously growing towering, man-eating tulips. I do rather like the Tolkien elves, but I'm not looking to have us produce Middle Earth 2: Galadriel's Revenge, so if you're interested in it, let's throw it in! :D

As for the factions, I left the group motives open on purpose so that the motives can be defined by people playing the characters within them. Kind of like... setting a scene but not a script? I figured that this way, if several people joined, there could be various motives for action occurring through the RP and give us more of a reason to 'clash', as it were. I can go in and define them further if you would like (or give a list of possible offenses the rebel faction might list if you'd prefer). It is the reason why I put the "ambition" category in the character sheet.

Whimzica
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 AM

Yay~! And yes thats exactly what I was thinking for the magics. Nothing showy, small fairy lights and whatnot like you were saying. (I actually wasnt thinking of Tollkein, ever read the Dragonlance books? Most of my elf lore seems to end up coming from there in piecemeal form. xD )

If youd like to list some possibilities, that could be helpful just as a springboard for ideas. -nodnod-
Certainly working on a character, though.

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM

I'm interested in this, working on two characters then picking the one I like the most. But it's been delayed by tests. And I figured I post stating my interest so that you know you have a interested RPer.. (I was lurking for the past few days haha :P )

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Sabiir: Great! That works out perfectly!
If we want to go crazy we can develop some kind of list of commonly known "spells"/"tricks" and less commonly known ones. Something that can be edited if someone comes up with something they'd like to do that sounds like it would fit the sets. -- Unfortunately I have not read the Dragonlance books. I always meant to, but never seem to have the time (or the money one hand when I see them in a bookstore). This might be something we hold off on and do in an OOC thread. (which I'll make later)

I'll work on some possible motives/springboards for each faction today and add them to the plot section. EDIT: I have posted said motives. :3

PrincessKasumi: I'm glad you posted. I can't wait to see which character you decide upon. If the motives I'll be posting soon don't quite jive with the characters you're developing PM me and we can work stuff out. :D

Darcylynn: So you know, I'm just waiting until your character sheet has the biography on it before I post it up. Less post editing that way. : )

Last edited by Mythos; 11-22-2012 at 01:27 AM..

Darcylynn

Old 11-22-2012, 01:57 AM

(i think it would be wise to remove ooc posts and place them in a different thread, so that new-comers won't get confused when the posting starts)

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-22-2012, 02:12 AM

We're still in the Request sub-forum right now. The game will be in a thread in the 'fantasy' sub-forum. : )

Darcylynn

Old 11-22-2012, 02:15 AM

oh, cool. you gotta link for it yet?

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 AM

Not yet, no. I'm hoping to get a few more character profiles before starting the game and OOC thread.
I will definitely post them here when they have been made. :D

Last edited by Mythos; 11-22-2012 at 02:28 AM..

Whimzica
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 AM

My character will hope- *yaawn* -hopefully be posted later in the day. :)
Those ideas on the factions did indeed help!

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM

This is really interesting, but I have some questions first. :P What kind of technology are you looking at here? I'm certain that gunpowder would be out of the question, as the equivalent to the kind of powerful magic that you want to avoid. But to they have the capability to create, say, a crossbow rather than a simple bow? I understand it's not that much of a difference, but it's just an example. What kinds of materials are their weapons made of?

Also, what kind of political system do the rebel leaders use? Is it like a Head chief over other chiefs, or is it one ruler period? Do they have different camps that aren't working together at all, but are rebelling separate from each other?

I'm sorry if my questions seem really specific. I'm just thinking of some characters that I would need that sort of information to write well is all. :3

Darcylynn

Old 11-23-2012, 12:36 AM

specific questions are good things. they help people li8ke me from stepping on someone's toes

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 AM

Angelo: Hi! Like Darcylynn said, specific questions are great!

I originally imagined the world being your typical medieval fantasy and the technology set would suit-- so yes to crossbows, bows, swords, pikes halberds, glaives, and so on and if there is to be gunpowder it would be a very unrefined and weak thing. Fairly useless.

Weapons would probably be made of wood, animal product (sinew, leather) and iron-- steel if they're of a fine quality. If people would like to have a fantasy material for weapons (take mithril for example) then we can do that, but nothing too fantastic like "Ice-stone" that will "turn your enemies to ice with just a glancing blow!". Frankly, I'm of the opinion that mithril is itself over-powered, but I have to calm down and remember that this is a fantasy RP. : P

The idea of the rebellion faction is kind of a funny one. I fashioned my thoughts of them off of mobsters- out doing their thing for their own reasons, but this time it's fairly politically motivated. That said, the rebellion faction would almost have to be separate entities that associate with one another, know one another, but do not have allegiance to one another.

In the case of certain rebel groups disagree or 'get in the way' of another problems arise and that gangster-like activity appears. (Except... there are no tommy-guns in such a world, as we've established.) So... in all... yes, they operate separately from one another with various reasons why they feel the Empress should be brought down, but rebellion members aren't exactly trained assassins... they're more like freedom fighters or Bonny and Clyde.

Hopefully this was of some help!

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 AM

That clears it up quite nicely. :D It seems like both of my characters will work well here, so that's great! :3 Thanks for your help!

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 AM

Sure thing! I'm looking forward to seeing them. :3

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 AM

Jaikar

Race: Elf
Physique: 6’3” and fit
Origin: Defected Imperial Officer
Faction: Rebels
Relationships: None, though some say he’s sweet on their camp’s blacksmith
Personality: He has a rather youthful optimism and a passionate spirit. Though he can sometimes focus too hard on the war, he usually manages to keep it from oppressing him like it does to others. His infectious cheer is a huge morale booster for his soldiers and helps explain their undying loyalty to him and he to them.
Dislikes: Dealing with idiots, being lonely, and the reclusion of the Empress
Ambitions: To unite the Rebel camps and overthrow the Empire

Biography: Growing up in the Imperial City, Jaikar had always had a good life. He never went hungry or thirsty, and he had just about everything he wanted. Like most youthful men, he went to join with the army, quickly rising through the ranks to become a commander. Still, the horrors he had seen the army commit, and that the Empire allowed to continue were too much for him. He deserted in the middle of the night, taking nothing but a horse, his sword, and some supplies. He made it to the Rebel camp where he joined the fight to stop the corruption in the Empire. When the old leader was assassinated, the people quickly elected him their new leader. Now he seeks to unite the Rebels on one solid front with which to combat the Empire’s army.

The raid on the slave camp was rather double-sided, as they needed both the metal inside the mine and wanted to free the slaves that were holed up there. He led a small group of ten men into the settlement directly outside, breaking into buildings to incapacitate the slavers before moving onto the mine itself where the prisoners were kept. Two of the men he had brought with them were adept at spells, or as much as any elf was in the magic-dry land. They quickly moved from door to door, opening the locks with a few muttered words here and there. Just as they had been finishing up, the hired thugs barged in and began fighting despite the close quarters while their bosses went about hacking at support beams to collapse the whole thing. That’s where he had met Itzli. He ordered his men to help as many slaves out as possible, and was on his way out himself when he spotted a shock of filthy pink hair lying on the ground. Without thinking, he darted in and grabbed the unconscious girl before hauling out of the crumbling cave. He passed through just in time too; a moment’s hesitation would’ve meant both of their deaths. From then on, the two of them have been rather close through a mutual understanding that neither of them ever formally vocalized.

Itzli

Race: Human
Physique: 4’ and rather emaciated
Origin: A slave mine out in the hills
Faction: Rebels (she’s a blacksmith prodigy)
Relationships: She’s one of the General’s closest friends
Personality: She’s rather timid, dependent, and withdrawn due to the horrors she had seen at the slave camp, but that means she’s a great listener and quite inconspicuous. She’s also rather inventive, having created bags of black powder that can create a lot of smoke.
Likes: Working with metal, hanging out with Jaikar, the smell of fire and smoke, and testing out new inventions
Dislikes: Failing at a job, yelling, making anyone mad, and being taken from her work.
Ambitions: To create the best items ever and help the Rebels overthrow the Empire so that the fighting can stop.

Biography: Born to a terribly poor family on the further edges of the Empire, she was sold into slavery so that her family could continue to feed themselves. The camp was terrible, with exhausting labor every day and all the while trying to fight through the haze of the sedatives they were forced to ingest to keep them docile. A failure to meet their quota by even one unit of metal was punished with the most severe punishment available: forty lashes with a whip. They were kept just on this edge of death to keep them from rioting and to maximize profit. That was the kind of life she lived for ten years, her spirit utterly broken down and spread thin. But then, a rebel group came through and overthrew the owners of the camp, freeing all of the slaves. Unfortunately, the owners were having none of that, and so they attempted to collapse the mine on as many slaves and rebels as they could, of which Itzli was one. Jaikar saved her, though she only learned who he was after the ordeal.

The two of them became rather close friends then; his presence an anchor that kept her from giving up at adjusting to her new life. The withdrawal from the sedatives was bad enough, but she had never realized just how much they dampened the pain until after they were gone. Several times throughout her recovery she had broken various somethings or had a tantrum of monstrous proportions. Strangely, Jaikar was the only one who had been able to calm her down when she had an episode, which was probably one of the sources of the rumours that he was romantically interested in her. Still, it was true that he had never given up hope on her during that period of her life: giving her a job with the blacksmith when he realized how good she was with metals and occasionally asking her for advice.

How does that all look? :D I hope you don't mind that I took a bit of liberty with the gunpowder thing. Also, I wouldn't mind compiling a list of metals if you need it. :3 I already have an idea for my own fictional one. :P

Last edited by Angelo; 11-24-2012 at 12:35 AM..

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM

These look great, Angelo, and the smoking powder definitely fits, I think.
If you wouldn't mind coming up with a list and posting it, that would be lovely. :3

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM

I'm currently working on it, but I have rifle practice. So it won't be up until later tonight. :3

Oh! And thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you like them! XD

---------- Post added 11-23-2012 at 06:21 PM ----------

Metals in Sindlarei:
Authored presumably by Corzayin during the latter years of the sixth era

Preface:
The metals used in the Sindlarein Empire are as diverse as the blacksmiths who use them. They serve a wide variety of purposes, from decoration to weaponry to mechanical devices such as nails. I write this handbook in the hopes that a future generation will find it much more helpful, and thus preserve the knowledge that we take for granted in the present.

Strong Metals:

Bronze:
Another alloy of copper, this time with tin, bronze is more resistant to stress and the wear that is associated therewith. It resists corrosion fairly well as well, though the reason why is currently unknown. Heavy, some warriors find it harder, if not impossible to use as a weapon time. Nails though, are commonly made of this material, as it does resist corrosion. Some musical instruments are made using this metal as well, such as bells. Ironically, it also possesses the same resistance to the creation of sparks as bronze. Maybe they are properties of copper?

Iron:
Both common and strong, iron is the most common choice for both weapons and armor. Unlike bronze, the metal is quite susceptible to rust and corrosion, which means that care is necessary for those who possess iron equipment. The benefits, however, outweigh the negatives, as bronze is easily crumpled and broken when pitted against iron weapons. As such, it is found more commonly in tools such as saws, hammers, and axes than bronze or other metals. Strangely enough, iron suspended freely tends to point north, a property not demonstrated in other metals.

Steel:
Because steel is an alloy of iron, it has a higher strength and better resistance to rust and corrosion. Still, it is harder and more costly to create, thus limiting its use to only those who could afford it. The increased cost, however, is worth it, as steel is to iron what iron is to copper. Typically, it's used in large projects, like gates, rather than individual products like weapons and armor. Every Imperial soldier with a rank of captain or higher does possess a full set of steel armor and a steel weapon, though. Most of the lower-ranking soldiers make due with their iron. It is important to note that steel does not line up with the north star when suspended freely, unlike iron. Are we missing something here?

Azurite: Mithril:
A recently discovered metal with properties that indicate it's stronger than steel. It is light blue in color and shimmers in the right light, but so far, it has proved impossible to shape into something wearable or wield-able. All attempts have shattered so far.

Precious Metals:
Brass:
Typically only used for decoration, brass is an alloy, or combination, of the metals copper and zinc. Soft and malleable, it is incredibly easy to be shaped into just about anything. It also displays incredible acoustic properties and is used in bells, strings for lutes and harps, and many other instruments. Due to its softness, it is a horrendous choice for weapons and other things that experience a lot of stress in their use. Interestingly, it resists the creation of sparks, unlike several other metals.

Tin:
Serving as an alloying agent with several other metals, tin has very few uses by itself. For one, it makes excellent containers if crafted properly, and provides a brighter shine than that of pewter. It's also used in the lowest denomination of the Empire. A common nickname for the commonly found metal is "Poor Man's Silver," which is an apt description considering tin's vastly lower price. Tin, like silver, does tarnish after a period of time, though it can be cleaned rather easily with some water and, if on hand, lemon juice.

Pewter:
An excellent material for common items such as tankards, taps, forks, spoons, and knives, and plates. It is a highly polished metal, casting a simple dark-silver sheen. Due to its decorative nature, it is often found in places of worship or in jewelry. Strangely enough, it is another alloy of tin, with no noticeable difference in strength.

Copper:
Typically lustrous upon creation, copper is viewed as a very beautiful metal, if not very strong. It is also very malleable and resistant to the creation of sparks. Strangely though, it often appears to change color throughout time, a process known as tarnish to metallurgists. Still, that hasn't stopped it from being used widely in jewelry and other decorative items. It's even the second denomination of coin in the Empire at present.

Silver:
Very beautiful, silver is a soft and precious metal coveted by people all over the Empire. It is often found in rings and necklaces, though the diadems of the Empress's children are cast with the same material most of the time. It is also used in mirrors, though only affordable by the rich, and in the third denomination of the Empire. Like copper, it also tarnishes after prolonged exposure to the air and water.

Electrum:
Also known as white gold, this alloy of gold and silver is quite expensive, though not as much as gold. Typically it is found in the fourth denomination of the Empire, read coins, and ornamental hilts found on weapons. It also provides a great contrast to armor when applied decoratively. Centers of religion make great use of the metal to contrast with pewter.

Gold:
The pinnacle of precious metals, this lustrous metal resists tarnish completely. It makes up the fifth denomination of the Empire and is incredible expensive. In its pure state, it is very soft, able to be bent with just the fingers of a child, but incredibly heavy. Most ornamental armors of the Emperor and his generals make use of gold plating, rather than pure gold through and through. Still, it is the most coveted metal in all of the Empire and is featured prominently in jewelry.

Additions by Itzli:

Mithril:
Impossible to turn into plate armor before it shatters. Scaling smaller plates also doesn't work. Making it into chain mail is the best option. Very likely to cause sparks when hit with another metal. Shimmers with blue light, so it makes good jewelry too. No known alloys as of yet. Scratches solatium, but not adamantine.

Adamantine:
Green metal discovered after mithril. Like mithril, it shimmers in the right light, but green not blue. Too stiff to make into chains, but not possible to turn into plate armor either. Best option is scaled armor, which is armor made up of overlapping, smaller plates. No known alloys as of yet. Sparks easily too. Scratches mithril, but not solatium. Good jewelry.

Solatium:
Red metal that shimmers like the other two. Maybe there's a connection? Chains are impossible with this metal, but scales and plate aren't. Best option is plate, of course. No known alloys. Requires the highest temperature. Not sure why. Sparks easily. Scratches adamantine, but not mithril. Very good jewelry like the other two if used for that.

If you're wondering why the last part seems weird, it's because I wrote it as if it were a real book that Itzli, who is barely literate, contributed to. As such, her notes consist of short, choppy sentences rather than the detail used by the original author, who had been a scholar. :D

Last edited by Angelo; 11-23-2012 at 11:56 PM..

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 PM

Ah! Journal form too! this is so amazing, Angelo! :D

(I might add tin into the decorative list, though)

I am curious by the 'additions by Itzali' part-- was she just adding pages that were lost from the book, or perhaps metals that were discovered after it was produced? Also... mithril not being able to be tooled by skilled craftsmen (as it would be assumed this Corzayin was one/knew some since he wrote such a work on the subject) is a bit strange to me.

How does everyone feel about this list?

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 PM

Mithril was only just discovered when he wrote the book, which is why the Azurite is crossed out. And he died before he could revise the old edition. So it would be the latter. She's sort of a prodigy when it comes to inventing things and smithing, so she was the first person to make breakthroughs with the two newest metals, and experimented a bit with mithril as well.

I'll edit tin into there. I just hadn't thought of how I would make it work considering tin wasn't really used for all that much in earlier centuries. :P

And thanks again for the compliment! :D

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 AM

I have two worries.
1) That she might be exceedingly young (13 is around when apprentices started to learn how to work in smithies) to have such a skill, prodigy or not.
2) In the biography it says that she was a labor camp slave and then an apprentice (so doing the ho-hum business that the master smith didn't want to do)... would she really have access to these materials? Especially with the time and means to experiment with them?

I don't mean to pick apart your character, I'm just not quite sure how these things work out.

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 AM

I see what you're saying. I hate when I edit a character after its been created and logical fallacies pop up. *sigh* But thanks! I did go back and edit the age and origin. :3

As for materials, she's with the rebel camp that Jaikar is the leader of. Apart from being well-funded by Jaikar and other equivalent people, they've gone through most of the outermost mines and taken control of them, so they have pretty good stores of metal.

So, don't worry about it. :D It happens to me frustratingly frequently. I come up with a character, and then my mind edits and revises it instead of just doing it all at once. If anything, I'm sorry that it was even necessary for you to say anything. :3