zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 PM

So... I just found out my mom broke her iPhone. Again.

She seems to be an apple product killer. She's already gone through an iPod touch and two iPhones in less than a year.

Do you know anyone like that? That loses/breaks their phone (or electronics in general) seemingly every other day?

How hard are you on your phones? Have you ever broken one?

Do you use a smartphone or a basic phone?

Do you put a case on your phone to protect it?

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 09-01-2013 at 08:37 PM..

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 PM

I've broken a couple of phones, but that was before the smartphone days when they only cost about £40 to replace rather than £400. When my mum first got her iPhone she went through about five handsets before she actually got one that worked properly (which I now have because she got an upgrade from the 4S to the 5 ). I'm okay with phones now. I think there's something at the back of my mind telling me to be extra careful considering I'd need to sell a kidney to replace it ha. I have a cover on my phone (a Zoidberg one) and a screen protector :)

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 AM

I've never broken a phone...I only got my first smartphone earlier this year, and with any of my previous phones it's always been a case of use it until it sort of gets too ridiculously out of date and needs to be recharged waaay too often.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-02-2013, 12:41 AM

I had a tendency to drop my phones a lot. They would almost always survive but eventually the screen would go black and it'd be over. The phone would still work, I just wouldn't be able to see the screen. >.<

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM

I don't think my phone classes as a smart phone. I'm not really into all the gadgetyness of modern phones...So long as it takes calls and lets me text, that's about all i want from a phone.

I'm pretty good with them in terms of breakages. I've never written off a phone anyway. I drop them quite a bit more often than i should like, but i've never done irrevocable damage to one. I know plenty of people who're the complete opposite though!

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM

I don't have a smartphone because they're so expensive to keep up. I have an iTouch and a basic phone, and for now that works for me.

I've never personally broken a phone. Never had a cover on any of my phones either because they've all been brick phones and that's what I prefer BECAUSE they don't break very easily. I do have a cover on my iTouch and I know that's saved it a couple times because Apple products are so flimsy. I generally don't drop my shit in the first place, though. *knocks on wood*

My mom is quite similar, though. She's the only one in my family who's broken any phones, and she has broken multiple ones. Dropped them in parking lots to get run over by cars, and many similar escapades. Luckily she's not technically savvy enough to be able to run a smartphone so she's not breaking 500 dollar phones.

I've met a lot of people other than her who go through a new phone every few months, though. Then they have the gal to bitch about money.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 AM

I had a Blackberry in 2011 that was indestructible! I took it to a music festival with me and it survived, it survived being dropped on the dance floor at a foam party, being dropped in the sink, having drink spilled all over it, falling down the stairs and even getting partially chewed by my dad's dog ha

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Oh wow! Go Blackberry!

MinakoAxule
SpIdErS iN tHe BrAiN

Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 AM

My step mom seems to go through hers every 2 years it seems. She looses hers daily too! I never had one so I can't say if I have broken mine lol!

My dad breaks his computers often always from going to bad sites! He never learns this current one is almost dead because it has so many viruses and they keep multiplying. Now the virus scanners won't work!

I've had bad luck with my computers, first it was a thunderstorm, then my lap top got peed on by a cat, then the one I got from my brother had an incurrable virus so that lasted only for a few months. Then I bought this new one which I am keeping nice and safe! It has a waterproof keyboard too!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 AM

Oh wow that definitely sounds like rotten luck in terms of computers! I knew a girl once who lost her dissertation when her laptop died in the middle of writing it. O. o

ElysiumFate

Old 09-04-2013, 02:44 AM

I feel that girl's pain just from reading about the loss of any amount of a dissertation. >.>

I have intentions of backing my gigantic research project up in at least three places this semester.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 AM

Definitely not a bad idea. *Nods* I used to use google docs religiously when I was in college. Great way to store and access docs from different computers around campus.

ElysiumFate

Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 AM

I've used Google docs in the past. I kinda forget it exists sometimes, though, lol.

I carry my laptop around on campus a lot, so I think that's a major reason I don't use it much anymore.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM

I lost my psych report last year the day before the deadline and I have never been more stressed in my life. That was horrible. I save religiously now

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM

@ Elysium: It's been updated to google drive now. Google wave was kinda cool for a while before it disappeared...

My laptop battery was like zilch so I often stuck to the computer labs.

@ Velvet: Oh no! That so would have given me a heart attack. V_V

MinakoAxule
SpIdErS iN tHe BrAiN

Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM

I have a laptop that from day one the battery doesn't work. I found out the batteries for this type of laptop never work. So I always bring my plug with me lol!

I wish there was google drive when I was in school. Man you had the choice of backing up on floppy, cd, and the last year flash drive came out but man it was expensive!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2013, 01:11 PM

It's super annoying. V_V I definitely would have tried to return the laptop.

OMG, floppy disks. V_V Those were terrible.

MinakoAxule
SpIdErS iN tHe BrAiN

Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 PM

I liked them! They were cheep and good enough to store your home work on~! I mean sure flash drives are good now or online storage but at the time there was no online storage and flash drives were way out of my price range!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Yeah but they were so tiny! You could only keep what, like maybe 3 documents on one?

MinakoAxule
SpIdErS iN tHe BrAiN

Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Yeah they were tiny but easier than what else was available. CD's were horrible because you couldn't write over what you put on and as I said expensive flash drives!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2013, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I only use CDs to back up digital photos/music/videos. It's not really good for more temporary documents.

Chocolate_Fusion
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM

I take pretty good care of my phones. (I dont have insurance on them after all). Currently I have an Android, Samsung 3. I use an otter box cover for it and it is absolutely amazing. I throw my phone on the concrete to show people how well it works, and it has not damaged one little bit. The screen works perfectly and there is no glitching. Its awesome.

In High School I had a phone for years that I TRIED to destroy. I tried everything. Even ran it over. The damn thing was evil, it would not stop working. I just wanted a new one so badly! Never got that new one till I moved out. Worst/best phone ever. It wasn't even a Nokia Phone, hahah! :D

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Otterbox is very good. *Nods*

Wowww! What model was it, do you remember?

ElysiumFate

Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM

Lolz, I kept a phone for five years (my last phone). Up until the last half a year or so the thing was in great shape and worked fine. What made me finally say "F this damn thing" was when I realized it had started to "lose" text messages and I'd never receive them. It also started to stop telling me I had gotten a call unless someone left a voicemail. I actually lost a couple friendships while it was doing that because people thought I was ignoring them. Nope. It was my phone.

It WAS a great phone till it started doing that, though. Hence why I kept it so long. It was an LG Shine, and I actually upgraded to an LG Xpression. My favorite phone brand at this point is LG because they're like bricks.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Oh man! That's no good!

I had one of those LG chocolates at some point but I dropped it one too many times and the screen turned black, though I could still make calls on speed dial, etc.