Paperling

Old 11-02-2013, 11:35 PM

Hey there everyone.

House plants can really improve how a home feels, so let's talk about them!

Do you have any house plants? What kinds, and how easy are they to care for?

I guess I'll start. Right now we have a cactus assortment, a fittonia, a dragon's tongue, and a croton. The latter three are in the bathroom (which has a north-facing window thankfully), and the fussiest one seems to be the dragon's tongue.

Dragon's tongue will do in shade from what everyone says, but mine gets the windowsill to itself and still gets sad on overcast days. It also likes to be watered well in advance of its soil drying out, but thankfully it will let you know by drooping very dramatically when you are late to water instead of dying, and then it perks right back up within hours of watering.

Example: Dragon's Tongue

Everyone says fittonias are fussy, but we've actually had a great experience with ours. It sits on the back of the toilet so it's not getting full blast from the window, and it has a typical watering cycle. It does benefit from being misted though.

Example: Fittonia

Our croton hasn't really changed since we brought it home. It just chills out on the bathroom counter. The cacti also haven't changed any.

Before this, my only other experience with house plants is my mother had a peace lily once.

So, how about you? Share your experiences~

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 AM

I was growing a garden of tomatoes and cantaloupe until my son decided to rip all of the plants out. I almost cried. But he's two, and didn't know better, because this is my first garden.

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM

I have a few house plants. I've got an orchid, a lavender plant (in a plant pot because winters here tend to kill the plants), a mum, and some kind of sedum. I had an aloe vera plant but it died unfortunately.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Plants have always been a part of my families home, and i can't imagine life without them! I'm no botanist by any standards though, and most of the plants i buy don't actually have proper labeling on them, so i don't know what a lot of them actually are.

A breakdown of our houseplant concentration by room:
Kitchen = 14
Front room = 2
Bathroom = 4
My room = 4
Spare room = 1
Toilet = 4

A personal favourite of mine are cacti and succulents, or ones with very broad rounded leaves, oh and i like hanging/climbers too!

sailor star rainbow
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 11-12-2013, 04:42 AM

My grand papa all ways was able to grow African violets. form a single leaf I one had one but it died on it's own. they are so fickle those flowers

tigerangel
(ó㉨ò)
Penpal

Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 AM

houseplants...I keel them

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 PM

I love plants, but I'm terrible at looking after them >< Right now I have:

Living room: spider plant, cactus, 2 small amaryllis and a philodenron
Kitchen - big window with a 3 tier stand: Dragon tree, 2 sage plants, some pennyroyal, a couple of jade tree seedlings, 3 Christmas cactus, Mexican hat seedings, a couple of succulent seedings, some hyacinth bulbs that are just starting to sprout. A sprouted avocado pit that's 2 feet tall now, onion ends that I've planted to get fresh green onion shoots from them, and pea, bean and lentil sprouts from some sprouting salad which are not going to grow much more as it's too cold for them now and they're dying. Some stuff in a seed tray that I can't remember what it is >< I've neglected that more than anything else this year, it's been watered but nothing else and it looks a bit of a mess ><
Hallway: Parent jade tree, bonsai jade plant, aloe vera that seriously needs thinning out, the parent amaryllis with another baby sprouting
Toilet: Another couple of jade plants; one biggish and another very small that's got a few mexican hat seedings in with it, those damn things get everywhere

You'd think with all those plants I'd be good at looking after them, but no If a plant manages to stay alive with me then anyone could grow it, seriously

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 PM

I love houseplants, but I have terrible luck with them. Most of our windows have awnings, and we're surrounded by huge trees, so not a lot of sunlight gets in. My room is especially terrible for sunlight; it's south-facing and has a whopping three trees being in the way of the sun. I've currently got an aloe and an asparagus fern in here, both immediately next to lamps. I just brought them in a couple weeks ago. The aloe seems to be doing alright, but the asparagus fern is doing pretty poorly. Although that might be because it was out in the severe cold for a night or two before I brought it in - hard to tell.

Can anyone recommend any plants that are okay with just lamplight? I have a hanging arrowhead that I'd love to bring in here, but I'm just so afraid of killing it.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerangel View Post
houseplants...I keel them

ROFLAO
i just love you so much!

*has keeled her fair share*
the latest victim,
my beautiful orchid
*sobs*

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-23-2013, 12:57 AM

Cherry my aloe's on a north-facing windowsill, and it's doing great, as is my largest jade tree. My dragon tree was on that window sill too up until recently. So all of those do pretty will with less light. Parlour palms do will in dim spaces too.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 PM

We just had an aloe plant get all gooey and die on us, but I'm thinking it's because I stupidly rescued it from the grocery store and it was on its way out when it met me. :( Still haven't figured out this crazy climate at my new place.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-30-2013, 03:14 AM

With any luck you'll have better luck next time then. It's always a risk buying a plant from the supermarket, I've found. So often they give up on you within a couple of weeks : /

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 PM

I work at a grocery store, and I saw we had some Christmas cactus. If there's any left when I get my next paycheck, I might just pick one up.

I'd like to find another aloe vera plant if I can find another somewhere. I think the problem with mine was I used the wrong type of soil. Or maybe it was getting too much light? I only have one decent spot in my apartment that has a decent amount of light.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM

In my experience, aloes get gooey from too much water. Really, you only want to give them a bit of water every week or so, maybe every week and a half. It feels weird and wrong, but they just mush if you water them much. They can come back from it, though, if you dry them out really well. My aloe got left out in a huge rainstorm once, the poor thing turned yellow and mushy. It still hasn't grown back all the leaves it lost, but it's alive. If you've still got it, just stop watering it for a good long while, give it plenty of light, and see how it does. If it's still got any leaves, it has a chance.

MinakoAxule
SpIdErS iN tHe BrAiN

Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 PM

Well with all the cats in our house we can't keep plants alive. The only ones that survive are bamboo plants. They are pretty and cats don't seem to bother them. We only have one right now since with such little money we can't afford to buy extra things.

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-09-2013, 08:51 PM

Got two new house plants today. Was getting groceries earlier and saw that they had the Christmas cactus on sale, picked up two of them. They also had some mini trees. If there's any of those left I might pick up one of those too.

I need to find my self a nice wide sturdy shelf or table for under my kitchen window. Its pretty much the only spot in my apartment that gets enough light for any house plants.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 AM

I have Christmas cactus plants. They're not the original plant, when it gets too old and ropey I plant leaves and chuck out the old plant once the new bits root. So these are 2nd generation ones, I bought the parent from a supermarket 20 years ago, so this is definitely a plant that can handle neglect with aplomb.

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 PM

I've already got a leaf planted from one of the two, I want to see if I can get a new plant going.

My christmas cactus's are doing good so far. So many blooms on them right now. So pretty

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-14-2013, 03:20 AM

They are super pretty, aren't they. Mine don't bloom at Christmas, more in the spring like you'd expect, but I'm always super excited when I see the buds first appearing =3

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM

I've added another two house plants to my apartment.

I got another orchid and planted some paper white bulbs. I'll have to rearrange things in my kitchen a bit to make a little more room for the plants. The new orchid is so pretty, nice big white blooms on it with more getting ready to bloom.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 AM

I might get an orchid if I seem them cheap anywhere. I've heard they're not as hard to look after as people tend to think, and the don't take up sideways space. My only issue with them is the air roots, which I find extremely creepy ><

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM

I need to start investing in some plant stands and shelf for my house plants. I don't have enough room for them all by the kitchen window anymore. I have as of the moment: 4 ochids, two christmas cactus, a cypress tree (a small one), two hydrangeas, and two african Violets

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 PM

I promised myself I'd start something this year, like food plants. I was looking in my local target ad this morning and they've got some sprout packages on sale for a dollar! There's bell pepper, lettuce, tomato, and cilantro. Some tortillas and beef and I've got simple tacos!

Aganab
Butt

Old 04-02-2014, 11:44 AM

I tried to raise some flowers once, but that ended up being a disaster (then again, I couldn't have been more than ten years old back then). However, my mum loves gardening, and this translates to house decorations. We have two potted plants in the living room, two, maybe three in the hallways, and I think there used to be another one in the bathroom, though I'm not sure if it's still there (my memory seems to be failing me). I really like the plants, they add a special feeling to our house, which really can't be replicated with, say, fake plants, which just really annoy me, even if I understand that some people don't have the time or skills to care for real plants.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Popping in to say your avatar is amazing. Also I'm 40% sure I'll be able to buy some planting stuff this Friday!