ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 PM

I'm just curious who other people love to watch cook on Food Network, PBS, BBC, YouTube, etc. Whose recipes really make you want to jump into the kitchen with bowls gleaming and pots steaming? Whose cookbooks would you buy at the drop of a hat if money were no object? Why do you like them so much?

My favorite celebrity chefs are Gordon Ramsay, Giada De Laurentiis, and Jamie Oliver.

Gordon certainly is passionate about his food and is adamant about maintaining a tip top kitchen conducive to giving patrons a top notch experience. I really admire his drive to get it done and get it done right! Giada has some of the most delish recipes. I love her cookbook Giada's Family Dinners and use it whenever I can. She's saved my hide at potlucks more times than I can count. XD Jamie Oliver's cookbook Jamie's Italy is a masterpiece. It gives you a lovely look into Central and Southern Italian cuisine. His recipes are usually user friendly and if you take anything out, you'll be lucky to bring any back home. It is scrumptious.

What about you?

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 11-19-2013, 03:19 AM

I like Jamie Oliver too, I like how he is clever with his cooking and does things how I'd describe as 'free style' ...at least that's the impression I get when I see him cook on TV.

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 AM

I've not seen him cook on tv but I definitely get that impression from his cookbooks. :) There are plenty of pictures of him getting elbow deep into his work and he has a free spirited way to his writing. Have you tried any of his recipes? They can be fun. :3

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 11-19-2013, 03:26 PM

Rob Ben Israel, hands down for me! He's a pastry chef that I adore watching and his food look AMAZING! I will admit, a lot of my fascination with him does come from when Sweet Genius was on tv much more XD

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Tony Bourdain will always be one of my favorites. I have the feeling that I would absolutely hate him in real life ( ) but I really appreciate his perspective when it comes to food and travel. It's rare to find a critic who can simultaneously appreciate high-quality food without being elitist about it.

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 11-22-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOS Duke View Post
Rob Ben Israel, hands down for me! He's a pastry chef that I adore watching and his food look AMAZING! I will admit, a lot of my fascination with him does come from when Sweet Genius was on tv much more XD
Oooo! I've not heard of him or the show Sweet Genius, but I love pastries so I'll be sure to google him! What channel does the show come on? :)

WOW. Just googled his work and it's absolutely gorgeous! Oh my gosh...wouldn't you give anything to have one of his cakes as your wedding cake? One of my favorites that I've seen so far is this one:

His cakes are absolutely stunning. What's one of your favorites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
Tony Bourdain will always be one of my favorites. I have the feeling that I would absolutely hate him in real life ( ) but I really appreciate his perspective when it comes to food and travel. It's rare to find a critic who can simultaneously appreciate high-quality food without being elitist about it.
Lol! I've only watched a snippet of his show No Reservations years ago. And true that, I used to date someone even more into food than I am and he was a complete condescending snot whenever food entered a discussion. If you could try any kind of food, what would it be?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-22-2013, 04:24 AM

i love Gordan,
though he would make me cry like a baby!

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 AM

Hello hummy! :D
I don't blame you, hopefully away from the camera he'd be much nicer than he makes himself out to be!
On one episode of Hell's Kitchen one younger guy challenged him to a fight though... XD Do you like to cook?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-22-2013, 04:42 AM

did you get to watch any of the mini chefs?
he was so sweet with the kids

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Awww, no I didn't get to see that episode. That would just make my secret crush on him worse. Oops, not secret anymore.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Being in the states I haven't had as much Jamie Oliver exposure as folks across the pond, but I really liked his show he had here where he made stuff from things from his garden. He's basically a human version of a hobbit, in that. Dirt under the nails and all. I've developed a slight crush. <3

Alton Brown is great. I learned a lot of "basics" from him. I've got a cookbook of his that really goes in to how to cook, rather than listing recipes to follow. I can almost always nail a recipe, but this was focused on teaching skills that enable you to make stuff from scratch. He knows his stuff & seems to enjoy teaching.

I love Anthony Bourdain, but I think more for his curmudgeonly writer thing he's got going on. I have a weakness.

Ooh, there was this one cooking show I liked on PBS way back. French guy. Jacques Pepin. Mostly because I wanted to eat the food - French cooking is compatible with my fondness for simple fresh things.

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM

I like Gordon as well. Gordon's a sellout with his TV shows and that but you can tell he is truly passionate about his cooking and knows his stuff.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-06-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-chinko View Post
I like Gordon as well. Gordon's a sellout with his TV shows and that but you can tell he is truly passionate about his cooking and knows his stuff.
Only his American ones. I was very disappointed to find out he yelled and there was far more synthetic drama in our versions of his shows than in the UK ones. Seriously, guys, not all of us are muddly fools looking to escape our lives in some cooking soap.

My favorite chefs are, naturally, Gordon Ramsay (I'm obsessed with trying the recipes from his 2k10 Christmas special right now) Giada De Laurentiis, Paula Dean (no judging) and Guy Fieri... who according to my youtube, which I used to check his name spelling, got into a fight with his hairdresser a month ago. Well that's awkward.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 AM

I like Jamie Oliver. He's so much more down-to-earth, and he doesn't take any bullshit from others. Like Belly I like it when he's cooking out in the garden and so on. I like that he's grown up now and has shed a lot of the persona he used to have, when he seemed to be trying a bit too hard at the cheeky chappy thing.

I also like his mate Jimmy, who's a pig farmer who since being in a show with Jamie has his own TV shows now.

Just for shits and giggles: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-...are-best-mates

The pic of the 2 of them as teens...I can't stop laughing at their hair

Last edited by jellysundae; 12-12-2013 at 06:15 AM..

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Oh my gosh, you all have such interesting choices. I agree a lot of these guys are very influential in their own right. I'm saving up for another Jamie Oliver cookbook. I would have bought it to pamper myself for Christmas, but then I would have busted the budget trying to make everything in it. XD Best to wait until after the New Year...

Jelly, I'm screaming. How cute are they! Gosh, 90's hair...it makes you look back and go "What were the hairstylists thinking?" They broke friend code though and dated the other's ex. :P Not that it matters, I'm just being goofy. Huh...too bad I don't get BBC anymore. :< I miss all the cooking stuffs.