angel of light
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 AM

November 5, 1605 Guy Fawkes and other conspirators planned to blow up Parliament with gunpowder because the public was angry with Parliament dismissing the wishes of the English Catholics. They were concerned with Protestant matters, hence "Gunpowder Plot." Fawkes and the conspirators placed roughly 1,800 lbs of gunpowder under firewood and coal in the cellar of the Parliament building. Because of a warning letter, he was arrested a few hours before the plan could be set into action. He was sentenced to death by being hanged, drawn, and quartered. However, once at the top of the gallows, he jumped to the ground below breaking his neck.

November 5 is remembered as Guy Fawkes Day in England.

The movie V for Vendetta uses this event as a background in a futuristic setting. It is arguably one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Leave your comments about Guy Fawkes Day or V for Vendetta!

*If you quote the movie or anyone else, you must put it in a quote box!*

My favorite quote is from Valerie:
Quote:
I hope that whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the world turns and that things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you. I love you. With all my heart, I love you. -Valerie

Lysine
Meirion, Madman Librarian

Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 AM

I love Guy Fawkes!
For some reason though I've never gotten around to seeing V for Vendetta. People keep recommending it to me so I guess I should.

angel of light
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 AM

You definitely should! It's so amazing :)

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 11-06-2009, 04:17 AM

V for Vendetta <3 I thought it was an excellent movie.

I actually forgot it was the 5th of November until a friend on facebook wrote the whole "Remember remember" speech that V gives in the movie XD

edit: Gack! Now I have the stupid speech thing stuck in my head D;

Consti de Vil
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 AM

hahaha
yeah you should :D

BellaDonnaX
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 AM

V for Vendetta was the most amazing movie. It was a veiled political commentary about the Bush administration as well. Which made me happy.

Penny Plastic

Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 AM

Pet Society (on Facebook by Playfish) just released a collection of Guy Fawkes items. My favorite is the Guy Fawkes Plushie!
Remember, remember --Pet Society Blog w/ pics

Dainty Cut Throat
Slitting necks and staying cute
Send a message via AIM to Dainty Cut Throat Send a message via MSN to Dainty Cut Throat Send a message via Yahoo to Dainty Cut Throat

Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 AM

You know, I've had Guy Fawkes Day stuck in my head all day. And was trying to figure out what to do to celebrate. Heh, glad I'm not the only one who remembered November 5th.

V for Vendetta... I blame that comic and movie for stealing away all the love from my other fandoms. ;DD

Random note: Valerie's note always made me want to cry. I'm surprised at how close the movie stayed with the comic's quotes, word for word. <33

Porkbackfat
Salty and Satisfying!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Remember, remember the 5th of November, the gun powder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.

Chibes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 AM

I knew 2 days ago that yesterday was it. Then yesterday I forgot about it. Lol I am so tired that is probably why I've been so spacy

masaki123
Banned

Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Remember remember the fifth of november,
gunpower,treason and ploy.
I know of no reason
why the gunpower treason
should ever,be,forgot.
Famous song for Guy Fawkes.I can recite it by memory now.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 AM

If I wasn't so depressed, broke, and whatnot I would have hosted a Guy Fawkes Night/Bonfire Night Party.

Quote:
Remember, remember, the fifth of november
the gunpowder, the treason the plot,
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.
I learned about this before V for Vendetta came out because I talked with a handful of friends online who were English. Though V is one of my all time favourite movies (and the graphic novel rocked, too).

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Please remember to quote the poem. You guys didn't write it.

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Glad to find that someone remembers! <3

A lot of people seem to remember thanks to the movie/novel ne?

Midori Rae
vege-zombie

Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 AM

It seems very strange to hear people refer to it as "Guy Fawkes" night. Here it's just Bonfire night. A lot of the tradition of Guy has been lost.

When I was younger we would make a "Guy" out of old clothes. A few days before the 5th, you take it round asking for a 'penny for the guy'. It would then get thrown on the bonfire on the 5th. Not many kiddies seem to do that anymore.

Gutted I'm ill at the moment so didn't really get to do anything this year. Although, my other half has promised to get me some sparklers so we can have a play when I'm better haha.

Lynds
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Lynds

Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 AM

We had this yesterday in England, but I call it bonfire night =3
There were loads of fireworks but they annoyed me after a while lol.. + also we are having a bonfire with fireworks tonight and then i'm off to another bonfire/fireworks thing on saturday! :yumeh2:

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 11-06-2009, 11:59 AM

^^; It's nice to hear that it's still being celebrated even up to now

Iggy Koopa
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Iggy Koopa

Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM

I love V for Vendetta! Woo! Anyway. I wish we celebrated Guy Fawkes Day.

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM

I remembered it!

I think that's good? xD

But it would be nice to celebrate it.

Fireworks are expensive though! D:

Neurotic Cupcake
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 PM

V for vendetta was a very amazing movie. I am just glad that they did it so well and that the actors were so good. I think my favorite character in the movie was Evey. My favorite part of the movie was when all the towns people put on their V masks and began to rise against their totalitarian government. It really spoke to me.

BlueEyedWallflower
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Yes! I thought about this a couple times today. It also happens to be the day my parents first met back in 1988. So I kept saying, "Remember, remember the 5th of November."

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Cupcake View Post
V for vendetta was a very amazing movie. I am just glad that they did it so well and that the actors were so good. I think my favorite character in the movie was Evey. My favorite part of the movie was when all the towns people put on their V masks and began to rise against their totalitarian government. It really spoke to me.
Though other series might do something akin to this, nothing beats the V for Vendetta march. -nodnod-

I think Code Geass did something similar but it lacks the impact of this one.

oTL

BlueEyedWallflower
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Cupcake View Post

That was my favorite part. The first time I watched this movie all the way through was in May during my senior AP Literature class. I had tears streaming down my face. I get into movies really easily, this one especially.

Samphire
*^_^*

Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM

It's amazing to see how the media is the way that most people learn about holidays/events, and how easily they associate a media piece to it. I'm English, so I have always been familiar with the concept of bonfire night.

I don't like fireworks, so I am often cowering in the corner with the animals, safely inside. :P

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM

It's meant to startle back in China where it originated I believe. XD

To scare/shock evil spirits away. Tee hee.

Fireworks that is.