Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:20 AM

Ah! I'm waiting for the month or two before the final book comes out before I reread them. I'd LOVE to right now, but the longer I wait before rereading the book, the more I enjoy it! I like delayed gratification. :yes:

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 10-01-2010, 03:22 AM

SOunds like me and Harry Potter. And if I'm not mistaken, the last book is called Letherblaka.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-01-2010, 06:16 AM

Well, I haven't been here in about a year, and I haven't done much reading in the last year as a result. I didn't realize how much this thread was motivating me and reminding me to read. So I'm going to start this up again.
I know a lot of the people here are big readers and have goals around 75 books a year, but I have neither the time nor the funds for that, so I'm going to set this at 12 books for the next year. A book a month. Hopefully I'll exceed this, but given how much else I've got to do, this sounds reasonable. :lol:

Previously we were allowed to make a new list once we'd finished our old challenge, I'm going to hope that still applies?

Currently Reading:
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
The Kindess of Strangers - Multiple

Read:
1. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

To Read:
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
The Memoirs of Richard Nixon - Richard Nixon
Syrup Max Barry (reread)
Company Max Barry (reread)
Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis (reread)
It - Stephen King (2nd attempt)
Dracula Bram Stoker
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens (2nd attempt)

Wishlist:
American On Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot - Craig Ferguson
Between the Bridge and the River - Craig Ferguson
John Dies at the End - David Wong
A Rumor of War - Philip Caputo
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (reread)
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
Survivor: A Novel - Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carrol
Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carrol
Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 01-05-2011 at 06:34 PM..

RisikaFox
is bored... Amuse me? ^^

Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 AM

Good luck, Cherry! You can do it!

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Welcome back Cherry! Yep, you can make a new post every time you're starting a new list/challenge. I'll go ahead and add you to the front page now (along with everyone else who posted within the past month. :sweat:)

Edit:
A big welcome to Zilithandria Moonlight, iiToxicRainbow, Remrems, and smiles and rainbows! Sorry I didn't add your lists to the front page as soon as you posted, but they're all there now. Our total is now 220 participants!

Last edited by Knerd; 10-01-2010 at 06:30 PM..

iiToxicRainbow
Im not always what i seem
Send a message via MSN to iiToxicRainbow

Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks Nerd ^^ <3

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 PM

No problem!

I've updated my list as well. I got so lazy keeping up with my page numbers, but I'm pretty sure that everything has been added at this point.

Iltu

Old 10-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Taiyo- Neat, where did you hear that? I've not been able to find any information on the next book.

Cherry- THE BELL JAR
THE HOBBIT
YES
The Hobbit is one of my favorite books ever, and we read The Bell Jar for women in literature last year. It was a great book! I also liked Lolita, if you get a hold of that one. Sounds like a solid list you've got there. :) Best of luck!
And I totally know what you mean about this thread being a motivator. :lol: Always helps me kick my butt into reading!

Knerd- I was just looking at your list, and the title Lives of the Monster Dogs intrigues me! What's that one about, and did you like it?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Knerd - Good! It'd be so very awkward if I broke a rule... Hey, mods are people too. :lol:

Iltu - I read the Hobbit when I was about 11, and I was very nearly finished with it... there had to be only something like two chapters left, but I just suddenly lost interest and stopped reading it. It doesn't really matter, though, I remember so little of what happened that it'll make no difference. :lol: I remember the basic premise and that's it.
So Lolita is good? I hear such mixed opinions on it. Though I suspect that to be largely because people are squeamy about the pedophilia. :lol: I've read worse (Running with Scissors).
Don't judge my tastes too much off my list, though... some of the best books are books I've already read. :lol: Though I'll probably reread 1984 again just because I love it. :lol:

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-01-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iltu View Post
Knerd- I was just looking at your list, and the title Lives of the Monster Dogs intrigues me! What's that one about, and did you like it?
Here's the Wiki page.

One day, a whole collection of dogs walking on two legs, speaking, and wearing proper European clothing waltz into NYC and start living the high life. One journalist is lucky enough to get close to them and learn their story, but she becomes powerless as their social status begins to fall and the dogs get ill one by one.

It's a good story and well written, I'd definitely recommend it. It won't turn your world upside down, but it's a nice little exploration into what defines a person and what it takes to truly earn your place in society.

@Cherry
Lolita isn't as graphic as everyone seems to make it out to be. All the "worst" parts about sexuality are really implied. And a lot of people look down on the writing because they don't actually understand what Nabokov was trying to do with the symbolism of pedophilia - It isn't actually about falling in love with little kids. :yes:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Exactly, and I've gathered that just from what I've read about it, I don't know why other people don't get that. Though I'm more interested in it from a psychological standpoint than from one more interested in analogies. I just want to see how Humbert thinks. :lol:

Iltu

Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Cherry- Lolita got a little hard for me to handle around the middle, because it got tedious, and that was the part of the book that most disturbed me. But overall, I definitely liked it! Not one of my favorites or anything, but it was really good. I was most interested in Humbert's psychology as well, it was interesting to read a novel from the point of view of a character who falls into a category our society believes epitomizes the definition of a monster. It's definitely a good read to have under your belt! Oh, yeah, Running with Scissors was definitely more graphic and disturbing! But it is an excellent, excellent book.

Of course, of course! :lol: I've actually not read 1984 yet! I've got it in mind, though.

Knerd- Thanks, that was really helpful! I'm definitely going to find that one, it sounds great.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-02-2010, 01:44 AM

Ooh, definitely read 1984. I'm fairly sure I could call it my all-time favorite book, but I say that tenuously as there's so many that I love. :lol: But I love them all in different ways... I guess it's like picking your favorite child. :lol:

Yeah, I love psychology stuff like that. If you like that, I'd recommend The Collector. It's a fantastic book in that way, and I find it really unique in that the character you'd typically love and identify with (the "victim") is not at all likable, and the kidnapper isn't at all predictable. He kidnaps a girl, but never hurts her, never rapes her, never does anything nasty. He's nuts, but not in the easy, cliched way.
But do be careful what you read about it. If the ending is spoiled, half of the book will be completely ruined. Unlike usual kidnapping stories, you don't even have an inkling of what might happen. There's no "she either escapes, or he kills her. Definitely one of those two." You really don't even have the faintest clue of what the ending will be, and knowing will just kill the entire experience. :lol:

Iltu

Old 10-02-2010, 02:14 AM

I certainly will, then! I definitely trust your taste in books. :yes: Yeah, it is a lot like picking a favorite child, and you do love them differently! The plots, the characters, the reason it sticks with you, it's always hard to pick a single favorite out of that mass of books you absolutely love. Plus, I think a lot of it depends on the reading mood you're in. :lol: I think if someone insisted I pick an all-time favorite book, I would say The Once and Future King by T.H. White, but oh, it kills me to just name one! I'm in the process of reading The Lord of the Rings right now, and so far, I'm thinking that might be a contender for absolute favorite as well. ...But there's a lot of contenders. :lol:

I won't read a single thing about it until I've read it myself. I intend to finish before I start anything else, but hopefully it won't take too terribly long and I'll be able to read The Collector, 1984, and Lives of the Monster Dogs sooner rather than later. :)

RisikaFox
is bored... Amuse me? ^^

Old 10-02-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iltu
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
I need to reread this now. xD I have a busted-up copy of it somewhere...

Iltu

Old 10-02-2010, 02:34 AM

I just read it earlier this year, and I already really want to read it again! :XD But I really need to make myself wait and get some other reading done...

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-02-2010, 02:55 AM

Iltu - Awesome! If you want a better spoiler-free synopsis of the Collector than the one I gave you, I can provide.

Yeah, mood matters... And so many are just completely incomparable. Some stories are similar enough that you can weigh them against each other, but you can hardly compare, say, an autobiography about drug use to a Jane Austen novel. :lol: So picking a favorite is just downright impossible. :lol: I've got, rather, a list of favorites. But it's quite long. :lol: It's basically every book I love, which is very nearly every book I've read in the past five years. I've read very few books and not loved them. Probably because I'm very picky about what I read. :lol:

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 AM

Hello again.

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-02-2010, 06:49 AM

Hey Taiyo! How's the writing going? Did you get farther?

Hey everyone!

Zilithandria Moonlight
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Banned

Old 10-02-2010, 02:05 PM

@Beliar: Lol, I dunno - I'm not stalking the series THAT much!! :rofl:

@TaiyoTsuki: No problem. :P

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 PM

2010-2012 fails >.<X

God knows how many books I get through in a year, i'll totally do this though starting from now.

[[Eastriels book list]] (started 02/10/10)

1. Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - J.K Rowling
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets - J.K Rowling
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoners of Azkaban -
J.K Rowling
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K Rowling
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K Rowling
6. Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince - J.K Rowling
7. Mortal instruments, book one: City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
8. Incarceron - Catherine Fisher
9. The Homeward Bounders - Dianna Wynne - Jones
10. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
11. At the House of the Magician - Mary Hooper
12. Going Postal - Terry Pratchett
13. Dusk - Susan Gates
14. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K Rowling

15. POMPEII: History, Life and Afterlife Roger Ling
16. The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[[Eastriels book list]]
(started 01/01/12)
1.Eye Witness to History - ?
2. Waiting for Godot - ?
3. Mrs Sartoris - Elke Schmitter
4.4.48 Psychosis - Sarah Kane

Well...I have a lot of dull dissertation reading...so lets see how the 50 books goes this year. *fingers crossed*

The Read List 2015-16
Started: 01-01-15

1. True Grit - Bear Grylls
2. Inferno - Dan Brown
3. A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness
4. Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

Last edited by Eastriel; 01-13-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Nice of you to join us Eastriel =3 Goodluck with the challenge!

Iltu

Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM

Best of luck, Eastriel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Flavored Antacid View Post
Iltu - Awesome! If you want a better spoiler-free synopsis of the Collector than the one I gave you, I can provide.

Yeah, mood matters... And so many are just completely incomparable. Some stories are similar enough that you can weigh them against each other, but you can hardly compare, say, an autobiography about drug use to a Jane Austen novel. :lol: So picking a favorite is just downright impossible. :lol: I've got, rather, a list of favorites. But it's quite long. :lol: It's basically every book I love, which is very nearly every book I've read in the past five years. I've read very few books and not loved them. Probably because I'm very picky about what I read. :lol:
Actually, I love reading books without knowing much about them at all! Sometimes I don't even read the blurb on the back. :XD Talk about judging books by their covers.

I think very few book lovers can pick just one favorite! I keep all my favorite books on the top two shelves of one of my bookshelves, but I think I need to up it to three soon. :lol: I'm about out of room, even when stacking them on top of the books that are all nice in a row. :oops: Not to mention books I got from the library that are my favorites but I don't actually own...
I've gotten better about being picky about books recently. Used to be that even if I didn't like them, I'd keep reading them! But I'm better at putting them aside now, unless they're for school.

Beliar
*^_^*

Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 PM

@Zilithandria- Lol!

Hey guys! How are you today?

Iltu

Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM

Hey Beliar! I'm good, my iPod seems to be functioning even though I spilled some apple cider on it. :lol: But I do need to toddle off and spend some time reading The Lord of the Rings pretty soon.