Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 04-25-2011, 03:31 AM

These past couple of years, frozen yogurt, or as they're affectionately dubbed, "froyo," stores have been popping up all over my neighborhood. I live in New York City, so I'm not sure if this is just a regional trend, but it does seem like froyo is catching on as the new trend, mostly because it markets a healthier alternative to the much loved ice cream.

In NYC, the three major chains are Red Mango, 16 Handles and Pinkberry, but there are plenty of smaller stores with names that range from Yogozone to Blue Mango (not joking). They all serve roughly the same things as well--frozen yogurt (flavored or unflavored) with a choice of toppings that can be anything from fresh fruit to crumbled cookies.

I was just curious as to whether fro-yo was such a booming market in other parts of the world, because it's sucking my pocket money dry. The 16 Handles near our school is definitely to blame.
  • Do you often buy frozen yogurt, or froyo?
  • Which store is your favorite, and why?
  • Which flavor and toppings do you like the best?
  • Do you really think it's a healthier alternative than ice cream?

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 AM

I don't really care about it being "healthier". If it tastes good then I am going to eat it. XD I love frozen yogurt topped with fresh fruits like kiwis, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, mandarin oranges, etc. This one place here has this mango flavored soft serve yogurt and this pomegranate yogurt that is awesome.

SarcasticKoneko
-Sarcastic Little Cat-

Old 04-25-2011, 05:36 AM

I love frozen yogurt owo My favorites are Pinkberry, Berries, and... I think my single favorite was Jolly Jogurt. Stupid name, but self serve and they have my favorite flavor, Taro! 8D (I coulda spelt that wrong. It sounds right, though)

carzeemumbear
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 AM

Back in the early 90's there was a shop in Christchurch called the Cultured Cow. :D It was yummy. Now all the malls have the same boring shops, but I haven't noticed any thing new popping up. In our wee town, we're still excited to have McDonalds. :P

Elluh
(╯°□°)╯...

Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM

I've never eaten real frozen yogurt..I always thought frozen yogurt was just literally frozen yogurt.
So being ghetto, I would just stick yogurt into the icebox.. ;D
That's my frozen yogurt. But I should probably try some real frozen yogurt.

Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I don't really care about it being "healthier". If it tastes good then I am going to eat it. XD I love frozen yogurt topped with fresh fruits like kiwis, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, mandarin oranges, etc. This one place here has this mango flavored soft serve yogurt and this pomegranate yogurt that is awesome.
Same here with the healthier bit. Honestly, I top mine with such junk that it ends up not being any healthier at all. Cookies and cream and hazelnut crunch (which is this goopy, Nutella-like sauce with little balls of rice crisps) are so good when paired with any flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticKoneko View Post
I love frozen yogurt owo My favorites are Pinkberry, Berries, and... I think my single favorite was Jolly Jogurt. Stupid name, but self serve and they have my favorite flavor, Taro! 8D (I coulda spelt that wrong. It sounds right, though)
There's taro flavored froyo? Omo, I'm so jealous right now! I love taro bubble tea, but I've never tried taro froyo, although I'm sure it's bound to be yummy. I love going to 16 Handles because it's self-serve and they give you 16 different flavors to choose from (dulce de leche and birthday cake are amazing), but no taro, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzeemumbear View Post
Back in the early 90's there was a shop in Christchurch called the Cultured Cow. :D It was yummy. Now all the malls have the same boring shops, but I haven't noticed any thing new popping up. In our wee town, we're still excited to have McDonalds. :P
Haha, I'm sure the froyo stores will be hitting your town soon. I looked up Cultured Cow on Google and it seems to be exactly like what Red Mango and Pinkberry are. Is it closed now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elluh View Post
I've never eaten real frozen yogurt..I always thought frozen yogurt was just literally frozen yogurt.
So being ghetto, I would just stick yogurt into the icebox.. ;D
That's my frozen yogurt. But I should probably try some real frozen yogurt.
I think your frozen yogurt might just be the literal definition of frozen yogurt, lol. I've tried that before with those Go-Gurt tubes, the ones where you squeeze yogurt out of a plastic tube. We used to put those in the freezer and eat them like ice cream.

Elluh
(╯°□°)╯...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 AM

Bahah, I always take the literal side of things for some reason.

angelbabe1
Account OC is Sekhmet (my avi)

Old 04-26-2011, 01:06 AM

I have never seen a store with frozen yogert, but I do put yogert in my freezer and freeze it myself and eat it .3. mostly go-gert the most XD

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-26-2011, 09:56 AM

You can get frozen yoghurt popsicle type things at the supermarket. My friend gets them as comfort food and they are yummy!

wasabiisweird
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to wasabiisweird Send a message via Yahoo to wasabiisweird

Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Oh my god.
When I read American magazines, I always see advertisements, or these celebrities going to this frozen yogurt place. It actually sounds pretty amazing. :3
Wish they had it here in France. /:

Kriever
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 PM

I live in Brazil, and this frozen yogurt is here too, and pratically every sunday there's a store, Yogoberry, that gets so full that you can see from far away a quite long line coming out of there. I can't say I love them since I'm not so found of sweets, but it does seems to be healthier.

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM

<333
Froyo at 2:00 and 3:10! Dr. Horrible and Penny love the stuff!

Q U E E N
spooky scary skeletons
Send a message via AIM to Q U E E N

Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 PM

I love froyo!!
I normally go to Red Mango or 16 Handles.

>.> I tried freezing yogurt in my freezer before, and it just didn't taste as good.

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 AM

@Quarter: Try whipping it before you put it in your bowl, or make your own at home! I have some really yummy recipes I could pull up :) Has anyone here made homemade ice cream or other frozen dairies? Yum!

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 AM

I'm not too fond of yogurt, but I wish I was. I like a few, the mousse kind, plain kind, and GoGurt to freeze.

We don't have a Froyo here, South Carolina, but there's another yogurt place.... I think it's called Yogen Fruz. I've been meaning to check it out, but haven't since well.. I'm not big on yogurt. :XD

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaxilea View Post
@Quarter: Try whipping it before you put it in your bowl, or make your own at home! I have some really yummy recipes I could pull up :) Has anyone here made homemade ice cream or other frozen dairies? Yum!
We used to have home-made Yoghurt! It's yummeh!

Imaginative Sarah
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-27-2011, 10:32 PM

I think the only kind i've had is the kind like the icecream you buy from the grocery store frozen.....so idk. I think there is a frozen yogurt place somewhere....but its not in our area. >3> havn't heard of another palce anywhere around here...

Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuto Akihiko View Post
I'm not too fond of yogurt, but I wish I was. I like a few, the mousse kind, plain kind, and GoGurt to freeze.

We don't have a Froyo here, South Carolina, but there's another yogurt place.... I think it's called Yogen Fruz. I've been meaning to check it out, but haven't since well.. I'm not big on yogurt. :XD
Froyo isn't really yogurt, though. I feel that it's kind of like a mix between soft-serve ice cream and sorbet. It's very yummy~~

xRhii
*^_^*

Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Around where I live Yogenfruze is store that seems to be popular as of late, I keep seeing more pop up in malls and everywhere. But I live in a small town so I usually go to Cravings a small sweet cafe like thing that happens to sell frozen yogurt. I don't get frozen yogurt all that often but when I do I usually go for flavors like blueberry or strawberry/banana because those are my favorite fruits.