Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Kamikaze Kendra

Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 AM

I was getting ready to post my list for the new year... and realized that I have no idea how to mark down two of the books that I've already read as they aren't exactly conventional novels. They're my favorite fluff books because they're choose-your-own-adventure books for adults. That just makes keeping track of pages difficult... especially when you read the story three times in a day due to the multitude of endings...

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 AM

Do whatever you feel like, we've got very flexible rules here. :lol:

Or maybe do what I do with some audiobooks? Just count it as "Something I Read" without putting down page numbers. If you've got enough of them, turn them into an entirely separate list of their own and just mark down how often you read through them!

You've got me curious now, though. I used to love Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid, having some aimed at adults would be amazing. What are these books?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 AM

I've played some flash games that are like mini choose your own adventures, and they're more adult-aimed. I could link you to those if you'd like.

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Oooh. Those are some ideas! And I do read through them quite frequently, and I'm not sure if I've ever come up with the same endings...

The books are "Pretty Little Mistakes" and "Million Little Mistakes", both by Heather McElhatton.
The premise of the first is as simple as you just graduated college and has a lot more possibilities (and pages) than the second. And the second is based on you winning twenty-two million dollars in the lottery. Both of them are quite fun reads.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 AM

I did this challenge setting myself a goal of 50 books, however, because I included graphic novels and picture books and any other book that I read from front to back...I ended up reading around 180 books....

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM

I'm trying to decide if I have the dedication to actually start and finish this challenge.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 PM

I feel the same way. I started it two years ago and my first year, I barely made it to 25!
And last year, even less. orz
Maybe I'll set it for 20 this year.. XDD

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Don't worry - 2011 was the first year that I actually broke 50 books. The point is just to challenge yourself and read more often, so the number itself isn't so important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze Kendra View Post
The books are "Pretty Little Mistakes" and "Million Little Mistakes", both by Heather McElhatton.
The premise of the first is as simple as you just graduated college and has a lot more possibilities (and pages) than the second. And the second is based on you winning twenty-two million dollars in the lottery. Both of them are quite fun reads.
Awesome, I'll have to see if I can get my hands on those. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Flavored Antacid View Post
I've played some flash games that are like mini choose your own adventures, and they're more adult-aimed. I could link you to those if you'd like.
Sounds like fun. I've got some time to spare this week, so they would be interesting to try out, even just to see if I still like that interactive genre.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Knerd - My favorite series is The Sagittarian, set in a zombie apocalypse. Here's the second and the third. It also has some really cool music in the sequels.
Air Pressure was kind of interesting.
Thousand Dollar Soul was really cool. It had so many possible tracks, I played it for at least an hour, if not two.

That's all I can find right now, but I think I might have played more... if I find the others later, I'll let you know. :)

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM

Bookmarked them!

If I disappear for a few days, I think we can all agree that it's Cherry's fault. ;)

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-12-2012, 06:00 AM

Be sure to let me know what you think! :) Nothing too deep or earth-shattering in them, but they're pretty fun and entertaining.

I just finished the 4th Harry Potter book after reading for a good six hours straight. 11 days into the new year and I've already got over 700 pages down. I'd call that a pretty good start for me! :)

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM

Forty-Nine Books I Want to Read in 2012

1. Walden - Henry David Thoreau
2. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
3. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
4. You Don't Know Me - David Klass
5. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
6. An Ideal Husband - Oscar Wilde
7. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
8. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
9. Looking for Alaska - John Green
10. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
11. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
12. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
13. A Stranger to Command - Sherwood Smith
14. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
15. The Cement Garden - Ian McEwan
16. Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
17. The Help - Kathryn Stockett
18. A Good Man is Hard to Find - Flannery O'Connor
19. Animal Farm - George Orwell
20. A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
21. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
22. A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams
23. Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett
24. Twelfth Night - William Shakespeare
25. Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller
26. Boneshaker - Cherie Priest
27. The Explosionist - Jenny Davidson
28. The Heretic Queen - Michelle Moran
29. My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead George
30. Ivanhoe - Sir Walter Scott
31. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
32. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
33. Harbor - Lorraine Adams
34. Fever 1793 - Laurie Halse Anderson
35. Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift
36. Everything that Rises Must Converge - Flannery O'Connor
37. The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery
38. The House of Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros
39. A Raisin in the Sun - Lorraine Hansberry
40. Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
41. The Giver - Lois Lowry
42. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry
43. Messenger - Lois Lowry
44. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
45. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
46. Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
47. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
48. The Unwords - unauthor
49. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark

Knerd:

Last edited by Lost in Austen; 04-04-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 PM

Ooh, A Clockwork Orange and Animal Farm are some of my favorites. :) I've got those John Green books on my to read list as well! Just picked up The Fault in Our Stars yesterday. Hanklerfished. :D

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 AM

You're on the front list! :)

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 AM

Cherry:
Aaaah! Sweet! I wanted a hanklerfished copy so bad! Haha. I never got around to pre-ordering, though. :/

Today I picked up an audio book of Twelfth Night so I'll be starting that now. Audio books are great because I can play them in the car. That's at least a solid hour of reading nearly every single day. Much easier than trying to set aside an hour of the day to sit down with a book. Although, there used to be a time when I loved curling up by the fire and reading. I wonder what happened... :'(

Thanks, Knerd! <3 Your signature pic always makes me smile. :mrgreen:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM

I didn't preorder either, specifically so I could try to get a Hanklerfish. :lol: I went to three different stores, checking every copy they had. Luckily for me, I found one!

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 AM

*le gasp* The hanklerfished ones are in STORES? Welp, I know what I'm doing tomorrow! :XD

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 AM

The 50 book thing never does seem to work out for me... so I'll set my goal a little lower this year. :)

25 Book Challenge of 2012

1. A Feast For Crows by George R. R. Martin (p. 978/978)
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (p. 384/384)
3. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (p. 391/391)
4. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (p. 400/400)
5. Drinking With Strangers: Music Lessons From A Teenage Bullet Belt by Butch Walker (p. 0/272)
6. Harry Potter Page To Screen by Bob McCabe (p. 0/531)
7. Alice in Zombieland by Lewis Carroll & Nickolas Cook (p. 240/240)
8. Drown by Albie Cullen (p. 20/240)
9. Illusion by Frank Peretti (p. 0/???)
10. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - JK Rowling (p. 0/)

Total Pages Read: 2,413

Books That Don't Count Towards the Page Count:

1. Pretty Little Mistakes by Heather McElhatton (5 times)
2. Million Little Mistakes by Heather McElhatton (4 times)

Last edited by Kamikaze Kendra; 04-23-2012 at 06:02 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Lost - Yep, so are the yetis. Good luck fishing!

(mine's in my signature now, as you can see. I'm entirely too happy about a little doodle of a fish.)

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 PM

What state do you live in? I'm a bit scared that all the hanklerfished and yeti'd copies might have been shipped to the same place..

Currently reading Twelfth Night from my list. : )

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 PM

There are signed copies of The Fault in Our Stars in Glasgow (saw one in the window of Waterstone's Argyle Street) but I don't know if any of them have fishes in.

I should post my list for this year. *lazy*

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 PM

Dunno if this has been mentioned recently, but I was wondering... Anyone here have a Goodreads account? :D

I think they're an awesome way to keep track of your progress - you can even update what page you're on... And they have mobile apps for those of you on-the-go [and with smart devices :ninja:]! :D

Figured I'd stop by and mention this, primarily since I just started using my account since initially making it last June and forgetting about it. :lol:

(Add me. :drool:)

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 PM

I have one! I can't remember the last time I used it but I still get the emails. Once I'm on my actual computer I'll find it and add you! :D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 AM

Lost - There were 7,500 Hanklerfishes, so they definitely weren't sent all to the same place. I'm in Missouri, I've seen some on tumblr from all over the states. I haven't seen one from abroad, but most people don't say where they got it, so that doesn't mean much. They're just about everywhere, I'd think. Not sure how many yetis there are, but I'd say there's probably fewer than there are Hanklerfish.

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 AM

Hmm. Well, I'm off to check the stores tomorrow! Which is only two now, since the local Borders closed down. T_T All we have now is Target and Barnes&Noble. Does Wal-Mart even carry books anymore? I'm not sure that they do. Argh. I don't need another reason to be sick of Wal-Mart! :illgetu:

Oh well, better stop complaining before I turn into a giant squid of anger. :ninja: