Emasaurus
FOR SCIENCE

Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 AM

Holy. Carp.
So for me, I just got back from Thanksgiving break last week. Now I have to do a whole case study project, a literature review, and various quizzes before I take finals the week of the 10th!
I've done it before, but with graduation looming over me and my string of failed job applications (though I did just apply for a zoo keeper position. Finger crosses?), I'm feeling way more gloomy and stressed about it than usual.

Is anyone else (probably still in school) stressed about this time of year? What are the most stressful things to you?
Do you have any favorite ways to combat stress?
Right about now, my snuggly cats & my super Sig. Fig. (who just bought me Torchlight 2 ) are the things that are really keeping me going.
That and bad snack foods. Today I had like...five cherry cordials

Feel free to come and get some of your negative feelings out, just please be polite and courteous like usual

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Stress right now is just like BOOM.
Reason a) I work in a supermarket, and Christmas is coming.
Reason b) The youth group ball is next weekend, and I'm doing a large portion of the decorating.
Reason c) I lost my voice on Thursday, and am currently on antibiotics to stop my vocal chords from breeding. (No, not literally.)
Reason d) I'm still working on my NaNoWriMo novel, for a couple of friends who got hooked.
Reason e) I recently finished my University Entrance exams, and am waiting for results that don't come until the middle of Jan.

Basically, I'm just a big ball of stress right about now. Fun times.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 12-01-2012, 01:41 PM

This time of the year is always stressful. I work at walmart- that should be enough to make anyone cringe. People are like animals, except animals have more manners than they do.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM

This holiday is way too commercialized... and become way too much on gifts.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Oh man, eat some more cherry cordials for me, Ema! I need to get me a box before I forget.
Did you see the blueberry ones? I think the brand I get is Queen Anne's or something and I saw that they had blueberry ones this year too. Tempted to try them.

Mmm... hopefully it won't be too stressful for me this year. We've decided to do away with the hassle of gift-giving/buying because we're moving soon and need to save the money. We are still going to decorate and visit family and such though! But I like the idea of not worrying what to get others.

JChanOfTheCan
Gingernuts

Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM

looking forward to my 2 weeks of xmas holiday! unless they ask me to work during the holidays. :'(

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM

It is a nice time of the year, but this holiday lost its magic for me once I hit 18. Things just didn't seem the same anymore after that year. Don't get me wrong I still go see family and that is the most enjoyable part.

It seems Christmas comes earlier each year due to when I go out to stores, almost two- three weeks in some places before Halloween has even arrived stores all over seem to be decking out in Christmas regalia and music and by the time it does arrive I'm so sick of it I'm glad it's gone.

I also would like to add one thing that does contradict my mood is that I read about an officer in New York who bought a homeless man who had no shoes a pair of socks and boots so that his feet would not be cold. It is nice to see there are still good people who do what they think is right.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 12-01-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Emasaurus
FOR SCIENCE

Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearzy View Post
Stress right now is just like BOOM.
Reason a) I work in a supermarket, and Christmas is coming.
Reason b) The youth group ball is next weekend, and I'm doing a large portion of the decorating.
Reason c) I lost my voice on Thursday, and am currently on antibiotics to stop my vocal chords from breeding. (No, not literally.)
Reason d) I'm still working on my NaNoWriMo novel, for a couple of friends who got hooked.
Reason e) I recently finished my University Entrance exams, and am waiting for results that don't come until the middle of Jan.

Basically, I'm just a big ball of stress right about now. Fun times.
I know your feels. I've had a cough I can't shake for like a whole month now. We should make adult eggnog & relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBane View Post
This time of the year is always stressful. I work at walmart- that should be enough to make anyone cringe. People are like animals, except animals have more manners than they do.
I apologize for our race. I don't work in retail, but my dad is a Sear's manager, so I hear the horror stories from him. Thank you for putting up with all the inconsiderate assholes & continuing to help the normal people like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kole_Locke View Post
This holiday is way too commercialized... and become way too much on gifts.
I know how you feel. I'm barely scraping through my last semester of college, so I don't have a lot of spare cash to get anything big. And sadly: I feel kind of bad that I can't. Which is absurd, because I know I shouldn't feel bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa View Post
Oh man, eat some more cherry cordials for me, Ema! I need to get me a box before I forget.
Did you see the blueberry ones? I think the brand I get is Queen Anne's or something and I saw that they had blueberry ones this year too. Tempted to try them.

Mmm... hopefully it won't be too stressful for me this year. We've decided to do away with the hassle of gift-giving/buying because we're moving soon and need to save the money. We are still going to decorate and visit family and such though! But I like the idea of not worrying what to get others.
*noms on more cordials* Actually, they have blueberries, dark chocolate cherries, and dark chocolate peppermint cherries! And yes, it's Queen Anne. I always buy a few boxes. They're only a little over $1 most places, so why not?
Yeah, my mom has actually told us that since we're all out of highschool now that we're not going to have a huge exchange, but I know almost everyone is planning on buying at least one gift for the others in my immediate family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChanOfTheCan View Post
looking forward to my 2 weeks of xmas holiday! unless they ask me to work during the holidays. :'(
I'm quitting my job! Mostly since I'm moving and looking for one that uses my degree. I've already applied some places. It's nice to know the last day I ever have to work at a pizza place is December 8th, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kole_Locke View Post
It is a nice time of the year, but this holiday lost its magic for me once I hit 18. Things just didn't seem the same anymore after that year. Don't get me wrong I still go see family and that is the most enjoyable part.

It seems Christmas comes earlier each year due to when I go out to stores, almost two- three weeks in some places before Halloween has even arrived stores all over seem to be decking out in Christmas regalia and music and by the time it does arrive I'm so sick of it I'm glad it's gone.

I also would like to add one thing that does contradict my mood is that I read about an officer in New York who bought a homeless man who had no shoes a pair of socks and boots so that his feet would not be cold. It is nice to see there are still good people who do what they think is right.
Ugh, thankfully most places here had the good grace to wait till Thanksgiving to set up. (Is your username based on the Locke & Key book series??)
I read that story too! It did lift my spirits to see that someone was still focusing on the more important things in life. We're all in this big, messy ride together, so it sucks if no one has compassion. *nods*

jupiter
inactive account

Old 12-02-2012, 03:49 AM

I don't have much to be stressed about. A few projects that I need to finish, but I don't have much else to think or worry about.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 AM

Oh, it's no big deal. Not all customers are nice and others are not. It gets hard sometimes because some customers will treat you like you're their personal servant, or like you're a simpleton. And I am neither.

pachi
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM

I have one last project to do for school, then I have to work on my own projects. "orz
It's a lot of work though, I really hope I can get it done in time.

DaniCalifornia
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM

More depressing than stressful this year, since I'm away from my family for the first time :(

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM

One word: finals. I think I'll do okay (except for one class that I know I'm probably not passing), but there's going to be a lot of work for me over the next week. >< Can you tell I'm putting off getting started?

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 AM

Yea, I really am indifferent would be a better word about the holiday...
To me my ideal time of a holiday like this almost I paint a picture in my mind and it's like this:

Maybe Victorian London 1880's families enjoying meals, then going out Christmas Caroling in the Snow-- while neighbors and friends come together to enjoy one another's company and play games and celebrate into the Wee night. lol
I guess that would be New Years lol

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 AM

This time of year I always get more busy with work than normal. I work retail for one of my jobs so it gets pretty busy. I also get seasonal depression really bad in the winter because I can't be out and active like I am during the summer.

Emasaurus
FOR SCIENCE

Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachi View Post
I have one last project to do for school, then I have to work on my own projects. "orz
It's a lot of work though, I really hope I can get it done in time.
I know your feels. *pat pat* Same for me, but plus a chest x-ray I had today. Oodles of fun. We can finish our projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniCalifornia View Post
More depressing than stressful this year, since I'm away from my family for the first time :(
Awwwww! I'll be moving out of state from my family next year, and I'm not looking forward to it....
It'll be okay. Get Skype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
One word: finals. I think I'll do okay (except for one class that I know I'm probably not passing), but there's going to be a lot of work for me over the next week. >< Can you tell I'm putting off getting started?
Saaaaame :\ I only have two finals, but one of the classes was writing intensive so I have a management plan & a lit review due for that class too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
This time of year I always get more busy with work than normal. I work retail for one of my jobs so it gets pretty busy. I also get seasonal depression really bad in the winter because I can't be out and active like I am during the summer.
I get the seasonal depression as well. I don't like things being so gray & blah. And I usually get sick, which doesn't help. =.=;