RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Guys! I got my third uni offer today yaaay! :D

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 PM

@Knerd - Spiffy. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread in the future.
/subscribes

@Vinyl - Congrats, dear.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 PM

Thanks! :)

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM

Vinyl: Awesome! I hear back from the two that I applied to on the 1st... starting to get really antsy and anxious!

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM

1. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (722)
2. The Wise's Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (1,000)
3. Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner (247)

Total Books: 3/50
Total Pages: 1,969/15,000

Last edited by Seridano; 04-11-2013 at 11:40 PM..

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 PM

Oh good luck! I still have 2 unis to hear back from, but even if they reject me I still got 3 acceptances so I'm happy :D

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Thanks! That's good at least! Do you know when you'll hear back from the other two?
I've really got my fingers crossed tight for one of the two, as it's my top choice. Because it's the better school for my major, despite being farther from home.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 PM

Congrats, Vinyl! Do you have a favorite among the three?

I'm going to community college, so I didn't have to deal with any stress about whether I'd be accepted or not. But once I finished my associate's degree, I'll be moving on to a four year. Plenty of stress there, but having an associate's with (hopefully) good grades on my transcript should help that be a less dramatic process.

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 PM

I wish I'd gone the community college for a bit then 4 year college route, myself. It would have saved me quite a bit of money.
/bats at student loans

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 PM

Cherry: Community colleges are the way to go - I've been to a few (long story there as to why there has been more than one) and I've loved them all, for the most part. I'm kinda nervous about transferring to a 4-year, but it's the next logical step. Time for this country girl, to move out of his comfort zone and finish my education. =]

Seridano: Yeah, colleges are pricey! My brother is at a private college now out of state, but it's a neighbor state to the one I'm in, so at least we get the friendly neighbor deal or whatever it's called and are paying instate tuition, which is kinda saving us money? (*tries not to think of how expensive that school is* But hey, at least he likes it, right? xD

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM

I had high enough grades to swing in-state tuition for an out-of-state school, but it was still fairly pricey in the end. And, with the job market the way it is right now, I couldn't really bring myself to recommend hopping right into a four year school and wracking up that much debt from the get go (regardless of how much fun / how enjoyable said school might be).

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 PM

Seridano: Oh, that's nice! And I'm sure that helped, a bit? Right? Yeah, I'm surprised that my family managed to figure out how to send my brother to the school he's at now. But it's the top in the field that he wants to go into and he's getting a lot of hands on experience. He's been there already well, this is his second semester, and he should be done with his second license (2 out of 5) at the end of this semester. =] He's training to be a helicopter pilot. :)

As for me, I've been at college now 5 1/2 years with another 2 (hopefully no more than that) to go... almost done... HOPEFULLY!

But I'm taking a semester off, so I can lay back and try to recover before jumping right back in again - gives me time to do things that I've not had time to do because school loves to take up all my free time.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 PM

The savings are a big plus. Community colleges get a bad reputation, but I honestly can't even see the point of doing your first two years at a four year. As long as you get your bachelor's from a nice school, most people aren't really going to care where you spent those first two years. (and by "you," I mean "one," not you personally)

But then other times I start to feel like my classes aren't as great as they could be and then I see the draw.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM

Oh, I totally get that - plus you can get the basics done at the Community college, and not have to pay an arm and a leg in fees at a state college. :D That's a definite plus! Yeah, I totally get what you're saying.

I've met a lot of great people at the school I just finished at. =] And that's saying something as I'm usually super anti social but these people managed to kind of draw me out of my shell a bit. :)

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM

I've met a few people at college too, despite also being incredibly shy. I tend to keep to myself and avoid even making eye contact with people, but some people are so outgoing that they talk to me anyway. I met my boyfriend that way! He just sat next to me and kept talking to me until I finally gave him more than three words in response.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 PM

Awwww! That's sweet! Some people can definitely be persistent. =]

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM

Aww, that's adorable, Cherry!

I used to be pretty anti-social back in the day. College did quite a lot to pull me out of my shell though.
Nowadays I tend to be fairly outgoing (though I still feel the need to hermit on occasion).

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM

My main reason for being anti social is because most social occasions involve way too much noise, and it makes me just want to curl up in a corner and ignore people (I don't handle noise very well), so I tend to just not socialize. But if I end up at the school that I hope to get into, it'll be easier because I'm hoping that I can start socializing with the Deaf community, and take away that noise, for the most part, so it'll be easier for me to make myself get out there more and be social. =]

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM

Added you to the front page, Seridano!

Going away to college was exactly what I had needed when I was 18. It was a great feeling to be away from home, make new friends and just let myself develop into more of a person. I'm still quiet, but now it's because of preference instead of shyness.

Good luck to everyone with school! What are all you guys even majoring in? Do you know yet?

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 PM

Oh, I did move out of the house at 19 - I found a Community college that had dorms and moved there to get out of the house. I've since then changed my major, and moved back home, then moved to another community college, closer to home, with dorms, and found my niche with my new major. I've fallen in love with Sign Language. =]

My major is Deaf Studies. =]

What did you focus on Knerd when you were in school?

Last edited by nemo.love_22; 02-26-2013 at 11:02 PM..

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Danke, dear.

Little old me? I was an English major. Not, perhaps, the best choice when one is looking to get work afterward but, for four years, I enjoyed myself immensely.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 PM

My BA is in Adolescent Education and my MA is in History.

But in college, I really just focused on rowing crew and dating boys.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 PM

*lol* I'm the quiet one who sits observing people while writing novels on her laptop. *chuckles* Now to just get around to editing, I'll be good. And finding more motivation to finish the book I'm in the middle of reading. >.< Now that'd be nice.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 PM

Yeah, it was pretty cute! At the time I just thought he was talking to me because he was bored and outgoing, but later I found out he thought I was really pretty and seemed cool and really wanted to talk to me.

Knerd - I think you probably already know this, but I'm a psychology major. Haven't quite decided what focus I'll choose when I get to working on my Master's or Doctorate, but I have plenty of time to figure that out. Right now I like research psychology, but I won't entirely rule out going clinical.

Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 AM

I'm in my first year of pharmacy school and it's kickin' my booty. Well, some of it is. Like biochemistry

But, on another note, I took a health literature class as an elective this term and read three very neat books:
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down and
Mountains Beyond Mountains

Spirit was by far my favorite of the three but they were all very good books.
I need to rewrite my list for this year but I just haven't had the time.