nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 AM

Risque: I'm a Deaf Studies major, and I'd cram for ASL presentations and exams, so it is possible. Don't say it's a good idea, but it is possible. But I don't do verbal languages, just the visual ones here.

Risque
bing chilling

Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM

You can only sign so many times overnight while cramming, though. XD

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Oh, it's going off a list, and believe me, it is possible. I've done it many many times. Sometimes even going into the day of the exam, as most of my classes were in the evening so I'd be signing to myself in classes throughout the day.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Zoie
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo.love_22 View Post
Yeah, although I would always say I'd study over the week before a test and that'd never happen. I'd always cram, and maybe because I knew how to do it, I'd not do too bad on tests. But it's definitely a skill and I'm proficiently fluent in sign. I glitch at moments where I just blank in the middle of signing, but I can communicate pretty well. =]
Lol it does help when you know your materials hahhaha one way for cramming to work when I don't know it and cram it Doesn't help lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risque View Post
@ Zoie: Orientation was quick but it did a good job at making me amped up for college life.

Lol good! There are small things out there that motivates us for class at the moment I'm trying to find my motivation back lol...When do you start?

@ Nemo: I can't imagine that it's easy to cram for skills like languages. D: I know that I absolutely can not learn Chinese without reciting and practicing a lot.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoie View Post
Lol it does help when you know your materials hahhaha one way for cramming to work when I don't know it and cram it Doesn't help lol
Yeah, most of the time I do know the material because we do so much work on it in class, so it's just re-going over that, so that helps some too, definitely! :)

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoie View Post

Wow congrats! *throws confetty at face!* what are your plans now?
I definitely agree with you when it comes to study and study. Making time to unwind is one of the best treat you could ever give yourself, trust me I've gotten to the point where it was too overwhelming and this bottle was ready to expload.

Wow thats pretty impressive to beable to read fast, I wish I have that gift. Or I just need to read more. How does international law work?
Moved in with my partner and helping him with his business.

Wasn't a gift. I just read a heck of a lot when I was younger.

International law is pretty broad and covers import/export, knowing how different countries interact trade wise, knowing the laws and/or dealing with people from different cultures.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 AM

I've just started my second semester, I started college last fall. I'm majoring in Psychology, currently. I'll need to focus that to a more specific area of Psychology later on in my studies, but right now it's broad.

My best piece of advice would be to never miss class unless you absolutely have to. If the weather is so dangerous that you'd be risking your life/your car by driving there, or if you're absolutely too sick to go, then don't (and email your professor to ask what was covered in that day's class and what pages in the book you can read to help make up for it. And actually do the reading). Otherwise, go to class. And pay attention while you're there. I see so many people who spend every lecture checking facebook on their laptops or texting under the desk, not paying an ounce of attention and not taking notes, and then they wonder why they do so badly on the exams. Your professor isn't going to cover much that isn't in the textbook, that's true. But hearing it in the lecture makes it stick with you a lot better than skimming past it in your textbook while cramming the night before the exam. You're paying for the class, so go to it, pay attention, and take thorough notes. Don't just copy down what's on the powerpoint, put your notes in language you understand and add helpful bits from the lecture itself. Facebook and texting are not more important than that and you're just throwing your tuition money down the drain if you're not getting the most from your lectures. Studying a part of the textbook that you've already heard in lecture is so much easier than studying a part you tuned out. Instead of squinting at the text like "wat dis mean?" you can see the things you already know, and find some useful bits about it that wasn't in the lecture.

For dealing with stress, I'd say don't put anything off to the last minute. Here's a place where I don't take my own advice because almost everything I've ever turned in was done the night before it was due, but I really hate that and I'm trying to work on it. When you're putting something off, you still feel kind of anxious, and you probably won't commit to doing anything long-form that's relaxing. You'll likely just check facebook over and over for hours or something short like that because you keep thinking "well I can't watch a movie because I need to work on that paper... just not right now." Do your work, and do it during the day when you're more awake and have plenty of time (because your assignments will pretty much always take longer than you expect them to). When your work is done, your relaxation time is so much nicer. And if you get to a point where you're completely frustrated and overwhelmed with the work and you just cannot do it anymore, you can walk away from it for a couple of hours and come back to it once you've calmed down, a luxury you're not afforded when working last minute.

Someone in the thread mentioned reading your syllabus because your professors won't always remind you of due dates. Likewise, immediately write down anything your professor says is due because some professors don't put everything in the syllabus. Get a planner and keep it with you in class. A planner with multiple lines for each day works best - the kind with only one line are no good when you have multiple things due the same day. When your professor says such and such needs to be done by the 3rd, flip open to that page and write down that that thing is due then. Put EVERYTHING that's due in there. There will usually be some free moments for you between classes, so you can transfer stuff from your syllabi and handouts to your planner then if you don't think you'll do it at home. Check your planner regularly to see what's coming up.

This website is very good to put on in the background while you're studying. I recommend the brown at a medium or low oscillation. It really helps block out distracting thoughts and little background noises.

Another studying tip: If you read for an hour straight, you're going to lose a lot of what you read in the middle. My psych teacher told us that. I believe she said the optimum time for retention was somewhere around 10 minutes. Of course, the breaks you take in between those 10 minute periods shouldn't be long. But read for ten minutes, check facebook, read for ten minutes, go to the bathroom, read for ten minutes, get a drink, read for ten minutes, etc. Just a quick break to chop the reading up into little pieces. Or if you don't want to time it, just take a short break every time you get to that point where you feel like the words aren't sinking in anymore. Trying to work through that just wastes time. If nothing's getting in anymore, just walk away for two minutes.

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 03-17-2013 at 06:57 AM..