maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM

I love it when people wear earphones. That is one of the most considerate inventions to be invented. I don't have to listen to music I don't like or even a blend of music from multiple people whether I like it or not. Also, they allow me to listen to music in the office without bothering others.

Yet using such devices has led to hearing loss. I know, before you point out that we can turn the volume down, I just want to tell you that I spent a week sharing the bed with my mom when we visited my grandma's place... and she snores so loud that despite turning my ipod's volume all the way I, I couldn't drown her out. That was hearing versus sanity, I tried to choose sanity.

Scientists did a little testing with earphones and put out an article a year ago or so. It has bothered me off and on... so I figured I would bring it to you for your opinion. In the article it said that there was a lot more bacteria build up in ears of people who used ear pieces... particularly the earbuds. They suggested that if you must use them, get the kind that cover the entire ear instead. Yet more and more people (myself included) prefer ear buds.

I am curious... what are your thoughts on this multi-sided debate?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 PM

Ah. I really love headphones mostly because with a song I love, I want to have the music surround me in such a way that no other sound gets in. I can really only get that with headphones and I know I listen loud and my ears will hurt later. I never heard about bacteria build up though.

I think...I would actually prefer headphones that go over the ear, but aren't those generally more expensive nice headphones? And you have to take good care of them so they don't break since you can't just wind it up in a little space like earbuds. I think in the end, my ears are just doomed. I love headphones too much.

maidenroseheart

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 PM

lol, I know what you mean... I'm a fan of earbuds for the same reason... but I worry that the large earphones that cover your ears might be considered out of date or fashion?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 AM

I think they might be in fashion again. Or, within the right circles anyway. If you have the really nice ones, it looks super fashionable. And you can wear them around your neck. Like that, they really become an accessory. I know a guy who used to go to my school and he had the coolest headphones and I know a lot of people really envied them.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 AM

That is good to know.... I want to have a pair. But I'm not a teenager... I am an adult now and my family is trying to get me to dress like one :P Is there a place for them outside of the house?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 AM

I guess that would depend on if you're brave enough to wear them out of the house. Doesn't seem to me that it should be a teenager thing, but it might be a bit hip. I mean, dress like an adult? What is that really? It's different for everyone. If you want music as an accessory, do it. I think it'd draw less notice than other portable music stereo things that are becoming popular now.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 AM

You have a point. I guess my family wishes me to look more businessy and professional since I am a teacher. The thing is I prefer clothing that you see more teens wearing. Or at least young adults. Music is such a strong part of my life, would be nice to have it you know :)

Vox
*^_^*

Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 AM

Well, it's not anymore considerate than listening to the music out loud if you've got the volume up all the way so everyone in the room can still hear it. >< And of course, it's much worse for your hearing that way.

I hear the ones you actually stick in your ears are worse than the ones that go around the ear, but I don't know if it's true. Kind of makes sense though.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 AM

I never quite got earbuds even go in your ears... A pair came with my ipod but I never figured out how they stay in. It was an intense balancing act to get them in my ears, and they'd fall out as soon as I turned my head. Maybe my ears are shaped weirdly? So I got a pair that jam in your ear like ear plugs. Can't say I prefer those to headphones, though... The sound is a little too "close," so it just kind of hurts. I definitely prefer headphones. It tends to be less tinny, too.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 AM

Cherry: the ones that come with ipods are really bad. The sound quality makes it hurt my ears more than other earbuds and I totally agree, they fall out of my ears. My ears are tiny, so I have to use the ones that go into the ear more. They used to bother me more, but now I can't stand ones that don't give me as close of a sound. I guess I just got used to it. I do think my ears hurt from them after a long period of listening though. But don't you think that might be true of all headphones?

Vox: you are right. Especially if it's in the car, it's not considerate when I can perfectly hear my brother's music through though he's using headphones. Perhaps some of the cheaper earbuds leak more sound out the back though. Because I do it too and it doesn't sound like it would be loud enough for others to hear.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 AM

the most comfortable pair of ear buds I have had I picked up at the airport... could fall asleep with them on... which I hear is bad for health ;)

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 AM

I have a very simple opinion to this.

A) Earphones are not the cause of hearing loss. It's the volume at which people are placing their music at. Very soft quiet music with earphones will do very little to your hearing as compared to kids these days who blast heavy metal so loud the neighbor can hear them.

B) Earphones are very courteous IF they aren't too loud. I hate being able to hear other people's music.

C) It gives a sense of privacy so you can listen to those songs you don't want to admit to liking

Also I'm a fan of headphones over earbuds :)

maidenroseheart

Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 AM

Oh I love C. That is just well thought of :)

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM

I have a very judgmental family so it lets me listen to my love songs in peace

Unfortunately I don't own headphones at the moment so I have to listen to it at 5 volume XD

maidenroseheart

Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 AM

Love songs? That is what they are upset over? I know when I was in 4th and 5th grade, my stepdad would play love songs on the radio while we drove places and my mom would enjoy listening to it... but if I listened to the same radio station at home then mom was really angry at me.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 AM

I have a tendency to listen to... erm... interesting love songs XD

Far too girly for what I appear to my family...

maidenroseheart

Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 AM

I'm sorry :( Silly family... they should love you more and nevermind your hobby. Hope you can get headphones soon!

Wonderlands
Super ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ...

Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM

I do believe in the scientist's statement. I totally understand how bacteria can build up but that's why we have wax, don't we?!
I leave my eardphones all over the place. In the bottom of my bag, in jacket pockets and on the ground when they've fallen off surfaces.

Just recently I've taken up using earphones because it occured to me that it creates a better sound within the head rather than the shoddy noise you get out of your computer's speakers.. I am considering buying actual headphones rather than just the earbud things you get with iPods and iPhones (I have so many pairs!) mostly because I want better sound and just after a while they get a bit uncomfortable.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-01-2013, 12:31 PM

I think that if you go for ear phones instead of ear buds, it might be a good idea to get the large ones that cover the entire ear. I wear glasses and something you notice after awhile is how your ears get squished against your head. It becomes uncomfortable. So maybe they cost a little more, but they might be worth the extra price.

Wonderlands
Super ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ...

Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Sorry, I keep getting earbuds and earphones mixed up! But yeah, I'm definitely going to go find a decent pair.
At the same time though I do wear glasses occasionally/when I feel like it.. I really should wear them more often :/ How uncomfortable are they exactly? If you just readjust them are they fine?

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM

If people are worried about the bacteria, they could always clean the rubbery replaceable parts that go in the ear without damaging the mechanics of the ear-piece.
I use them on occasion, but not very often.
I do hate listening to other people's music that I do not like. It is not fun. Especially since rap is a major genre and just total sucks as to my opinion.

MinakoAxule
SpIdErS iN tHe BrAiN

Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 PM

I used to love earbuds because of how small they were. But I realized using them I would have hard time hearing after using them. I've gone to old fashion headphones and my hearing is better now and people can't hear my music like when I head ear buds. Using ear buds people can hear some of the music and I know it drove my step mom mad. Now with my head phones no one can hear my music and my ears feel better~

Headphones all the way for me~!

maidenroseheart

Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlands View Post
Sorry, I keep getting earbuds and earphones mixed up! But yeah, I'm definitely going to go find a decent pair.
At the same time though I do wear glasses occasionally/when I feel like it.. I really should wear them more often :/ How uncomfortable are they exactly? If you just readjust them are they fine?
They become uncomfortable to me if I am wearing glasses... having my ear pressed against a medal or plastic piece of ... yeah... kinda is uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoness129 View Post
If people are worried about the bacteria, they could always clean the rubbery replaceable parts that go in the ear without damaging the mechanics of the ear-piece.
I use them on occasion, but not very often.
I do hate listening to other people's music that I do not like. It is not fun. Especially since rap is a major genre and just total sucks as to my opinion.
According to the article, everyone has some bacteria in their ears. However if you wear ear phones for 30 minutes and then test the ear for bacteria, scientists found the number to be a lot higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinakoAxule View Post
I used to love earbuds because of how small they were. But I realized using them I would have hard time hearing after using them. I've gone to old fashion headphones and my hearing is better now and people can't hear my music like when I head ear buds. Using ear buds people can hear some of the music and I know it drove my step mom mad. Now with my head phones no one can hear my music and my ears feel better~

Headphones all the way for me~!
Headphones... I'm starting to think about getting a pair.

Accio
*^_^*

Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 AM

I love having my headphones in because no one else can bother me or yell at me for having my music in
I think it's only as unsafe as the type of earphones and the volume you use

maidenroseheart

Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 AM

Volume is always a factor for sure. I know a teacher who was in a garage band back 60 years ago. He said everyone in his band lost a lot of hearing by their 20s.