nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-04-2013, 08:07 PM

So I am a member of the Soldiers' Angels Letter Writing Team (LWT) and the Ladies of Liberty (LoL). It helps me feel like I'm helping to support the troops.

Is anyone else a part of Soldiers' Angels, or have considered it?

For those interested, here is a link to their website.

Last edited by nemo.love_22; 05-07-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 PM

i've never heard of either before. I've heard of another ladies one... ummm, wait no. "daughters of the revolution" but you can't just join it. What are LWT and LoL about?

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Both of the teams - LWT, and LoL, are teams within Soldiers' Angels itself. Basically you can sign up to get addresses - fewest is 1 a month, and I'm not sure what the max is - I currently have it set up to get two a month from both teams. The LTW is just all soldiers in general, and the LoL focuses just on the female soldiers out there. So I get 2 names for the LWT a month, and 2 names for the LoL a month, and at the end of the month, you report back to the team leader that they give you to let them know how many letters you wrote that month.

Soldiers' Angels, as long as you can give the a dollar to get verified, allow anyone. Anyone who's willing to support the troops. :)

Link to the main Soldiers' Angels page

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 PM

So basically you write to the soldiers out there? and you get names and such?

and just out of curiosity what kind of stuff do you say?

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Yep you just write, and you don't always get responses in the 5 or so months that I've been doing it, I've only got like 2 letters back from soldiers, but that's ok. And as for what one says, it's more just introduction of who you are, and what you do, and the objective of Soldiers' Angels. And then where you live, and your family, and things that you do for fun, just anything to give them a sense of home. Nothing political, or religious is allowed though. And then thanking them for what they do, and giving them your address and email if they do want to write back or email. Just keeping letters simple. =] They are awkward to write, because you're writing to someone who you don't know, but they're not that bad. I have a basic thing of what I say now so that helps. =]

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM

That's actually kind of a really cool idea. I think maybe I'll talk to my husband tonight see if he thinks so to. Maybe we'll join! he is an ex navy, got discharged because he got injured during training, pulling someone out of a fire :[.

I think it would actually be kind of cool to write real letters to people on Menewsha to. xD Only because i haven't really written LETTERS since... idk.. 2nd grade. People don't write letters anymore.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM

Yeah, it's great, and helps them not be alone, and have support, even from people who they don't know anymore. Even if it is just a letter a month, it is still great. I also have an ePal through the LWT, that I email. :)

I love hand writing letters. My friend phoenixphyre and I do send each other letters and parcels in the post (we've been doing it for years). It's so great to find a letter in the post besides bills and anything! I do write letters to Bearzy - think I got her username right) - which reminds me, I need to write her back from her last letter to me.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM

I wonder if people would be able to read my handwriting though. xD it can be anywhere from super messy, to wow that's really neat..

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-04-2013, 08:51 PM

I feel the same way at times. I try to write slow and small, and keep it neat. =] I've got half print half cursive writing.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-04-2013, 09:06 PM

Me to! My y's always have a cursive bottom. And i combine letters together half the time.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Yeah, it all depends on how fast I'm writing though. Sometimes they're more connected than others.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM

thank you, nemo

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 PM

Awwww I love the little things humym says when she pops in threads. And I agree nemo. i salute you for a job well done too. *salutes*

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

thank you, nemo
You're welcome hummy!

And aww, thanks Sha. I'm just doing what I can. =]

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM

You are quite welcome. And its a good thing that you are. :]

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 PM

Although sometimes that still doesn't feel enough. XD

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM

it's something though. like the victory gardens were back in whatever war that was. Because they could send extra resources to the troops. Doing things here that support the troops that are supporting us, no matter how small it seems, is a really big thing.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM

I just hear about people who adopt multiple soldiers - another thing you can do through Soldiers' Angels, and support them through multiple deployments, I have no money and in a way hearing about how many soldiers' they're supporting just makes me feel like what I'm doing isn't helping at all. :( I struggle with getting four letters written a month when they're writing a letter a week and a parcel a month to x (unknown number) of soldiers a month.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Really though. Don't ever think about it compared against other people. What you're doing IS an amazing thing. It doesn't matter if you're "not as amazing as someone else who does more" It's the fact that you're doing something at all. Those four letters a month are touching someones life. And who knows. It could be something that even saves their lives out there!

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Yeah, I know I need to try to stop comparing myself to others, I do wish that I had the money to adopt a soldier. But I just don't have the money to send parcels every month right now.

I do have an epal that I email a few times a month, and I'm helping out a fellow angel with emailing her soldier because he's been upset lately, and we're on a mission to try to cheer him up. :)

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Cherry Who?: I was wondering if you could just lock this thread because it's not really getting any attention and I don't really care for it anymore?

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM

i'm sorry its not getting as much attention as you would like. You really are doing a great thing :]

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM

It honestly makes me lose faith in Mene, because I see all the other threads doing so well and mine is burred at the bottom. I am just sick of it. I don't really care anymore... I'm just tired of feeling like nothing I create on here is worth people's attention... but whatever... I don't care anymore (Well, I do.... but I don't).

I honestly thought it'd get more attention.. I GUESS NOT! Whatever...

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 08:44 AM ----------

You're the only one who's really shown any interest in coming back... And I do thank you for that. I just wish others would be interested in it too... guess not! D: *sighs* But whatever... Doesn't help with my dislike of Mene that's been growing lately. I try to make myself stay, and my blah stupid wanting to bang my head into a wall feeling keeps on growing.

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 08:51 AM ----------

Like I went away for 24 hours this weekend, and I came back thinking I'd have more than two posts in this thread, but that is all I got, when others got many more... Why do I even try to create new threads... they always flop! D:

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM

*rubs chin thinking* well it is a good thread idea. Talking about good causes like this. Perhaps... if you brodened your topic like...

include something like "what programs do you do or know of that help support troops"

maybe make the title stand out more like "letters from angels" kind of mixing up what it is and the name of the program people will get curious what its about and at least pop in to take a look.

In forums, no matter how good a topic is, sometimes its overlooked if you don't have a good playing to the crowd. I'm a curious person for everything so i stop in just about everywhere. ^^;;

Just a couple ideas as i ponder why it might be overlooked. It's definitely not YOU they're avoiding. Sometimes it takes lots and lots of posts before something is even noticed. Or you just get 1 or 2 people to join and the amount those few people post just stretches out to hundreds of pages.
For example: my pinata park really only has 3 active posters. myself included. but ocassional visiters seeing the long thread stop in.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM

I don't know... they said not to keep the topic broad... >.< This was me trying to keep it narrow... but grrr! But whatever... If they don't want to come in... that's their choice...

Doesn't help that I am feeling super upset and blah towards mene... I'm constantly overlooked and I just don't even know why I try anymore... I know it's not me... but omg, it sure feels that it's me! Why do I even try anymore! I have many threads, I ping friends to them, and they come in once or twice, and then never go back. D: It's hard for me to see it not being me, if that makes sense. So I want this thread locked and whatnot... I don't care about this contest, because in a way, this contest has made my feeling for Mene even worse. D: