Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 AM

I saw the first series of MouseGuard (Fall: 1152) in the library and was intrigued by the lovely coloured illustrations throughout. So even though it was bigger and heavier than the manga I tend to read I borrowed it anyway.

It wasn't quite what I was expecting, I had thought since it was about mice, that it'd be a bit more lighthearted but it's a surprisingly serious story about survival as mice, where they have many predators in the form of larger animals. This is despite the fact that they the mice themselves have their own civilizations, clothes, weapons, buildings and so forth.

I've also read series 2 (Winter:1152) and am curious about what the third series Black Axe will be like.

Has anyone else read this series? If so, what are your thoughts?

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 AM

I have never heard of that series.
It does sound interesting, I never really think much about mice or what their lives would be like.

Would you recommend the series to others?

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 05-09-2013, 04:55 AM

I like what I've read so far, it's quite a serious story despite the cute illustrations of the mice. The main characters, the mouse guards, are depicted in such a way that they seem very 'human'.

As for recommending it, based on my own opinion, yes. If you don't mind reading a serious story with mice for the protagonists.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM

i haven't read it either
i love mice though

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 AM

Yes!
I saw it in the library here too! I read only the first one so far. I loved it! I can't wait to find and read more of the series! It reminds me some of Brian Jacques Redwall series. If you love MouseGuard, you should give Redwall a read.
I would definitely recommend the series to others!