Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Well, after visiting The Wondering Poet's thread called, "What kind of bugs do you deal with?" I was inspired to make this thread here.

So, what kind of wildlife live around you? Show me pictures of the animals you can find where you live. Any wooded areas, lakes, ponds, fields, deserts, ect where you live? I wanna see.

I live in Kentucky, so a very pretty animal we have here is the Kentucky Wildcat.

There is also a few dangerous snakes here. The Cotton Mouths, Eastern Rattlesnakes, and Copperheads. Luckily no more than three dangerous snakes. The rest just may have an awful bite, but no venom.

Cotton Mouth(aka: Water Moccasin)

The Copper Head

Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake

So, what kind of animals do you have around your area?

Last edited by Velvet; 05-10-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 05-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Aww the wildcat is cute. XD Dangerous, I'm sure.
Having just gotten to TUrkey, I haven't gotten a chance to see too much wildlife yet aside from the feral cats (and supposedly dogs too), but there are couple birds I've taken a liking to.
The Hooded Crow

And another much smaller and more colorful bird. It has pointed wings when it flies and two tails. I don't know its name though.

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Hm, I haven't seen any dangerous animals where I live, besides insects(bees, spiders, mosquitos).

I don't know much about the wildlife in my area, but what I have seen so far in my lifetime of living here are:
- Crows/Ravens(not sure which)
- Small birds(not sure what kind)
- Raccoons
- Possums
- Skunks
- Stray cat(only one)
- Snails
- Earthworms
- Seagulls
- Chickens(at the cemetary only)
- Rats

I live close to the ocean, like less than a mile away, but never went there, so I don't know what animals are there.
And apparently my mom saw a Coyote recently, so I guess maybe they live here?

I remember before I moved to America, there were poisonous snakes called Habu. I don't remember seeing any live ones, though.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Ikuku, that's an interesting sort of bird. :3 Are you vacationing in Turkey? :O

Kouki, ahh, I see. Did the Habu snake look anything like this?

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

As for birds here, my favorites include:

Cardinal

Eastern Blue Bird

Blue Jay

Of course there are many more.

Robins, finches, hummingbirds, Crows, Falcons, Hawks Buzzards, turkeys.. Lol. Sooo many birds. But I like them.

Oh, and recently I watched a beaver at the lake I grew up at.

Question for everyone:

Any native animals you'd like to see but haven't seen yet?

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
Kouki, ahh, I see. Did the Habu snake look anything like this?
I've never actually seen one live, only a skin shedding of one. It was in Okinawa, though. My parents usually talk about it.
Oh, I also know there were wild baby geckos back there too. I saw one on the bathroom wall of my grandma's house, and when we went to my mother's aunt's house in the countryside, there were tons of baby geckos scattered through the house. I felt bad when I pointed one out on the table, and they smashed it, though. :(

Here's a picture I took on my phone of the one in the bathroom... it was very hard to focus on, though, because it's so tiny and was far up. @_@

Also, those birds are really pretty.

As for animals I'd like to see, I would love to see wild rabbits and more wild chickens.

Last edited by Kouki; 05-10-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Oooh, I see. Snake skins can be pretty neat to find.

And that's sad. Why would they kill the geckos? They are such cute little animals..

And yeah, I really like birds.

How long have you lived in America?

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 05:16 PM ----------

I would love the see wild geckos in here..I'm so jealous.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Cute lizard!

@Velv: Nuu, just moved here to live.

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Oooh, I see. Snake skins can be pretty neat to find.

And that's sad. Why would they kill the geckos? They are such cute little animals..

And yeah, I really like birds.

How long have you lived in America?

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 05:16 PM ----------

I would love the see wild geckos in here..I'm so jealous.
Yeah, I felt bad because I never really see people kill reptiles like that... I guess because they're so tiny they could be seen as pests, though. >_<

I moved to America when I was 5(1995), though I went to an American school even before, because my dad was in the air force, so they had an English school for the children of the air base. I remember there being lots of butterflies back in the air base near the homes, actually.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
Yeah, I felt bad because I never really see people kill reptiles like that... I guess because they're so tiny they could be seen as pests, though. >_<

I moved to America when I was 5(1995), though I went to an American school even before, because my dad was in the air force, so they had an English school for the children of the air base. I remember there being lots of butterflies back in the air base near the homes, actually.

Poor little things. I love reptiles.. Apart from Wolves, they are some of my favorite animals.. Especially geckos. I used to have a few as pets, wish I still did.

Ah, that's interesting. I've never been out of America, but have always wanted to visit another country. Mostly small villages in Japan and maybe see Tokyo once. I really enjoy the culture. Though, I'd also love to visit Europe as well.

What colors were the butterflies? :O

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Poor little things. I love reptiles.. Apart from Wolves, they are some of my favorite animals.. Especially geckos. I used to have a few as pets, wish I still did.

Ah, that's interesting. I've never been out of America, but have always wanted to visit another country. Mostly small villages in Japan and maybe see Tokyo once. I really enjoy the culture. Though, I'd also love to visit Europe as well.

What colors were the butterflies? :O
I actually don't remember, well I remember there were those simple white ones, but can't remember what others. They weren't really fancy species, but simple or patternless wings. I was only 5 at the time, so I don't have that vivid of a memory. XD;

I do like the aesthetics of the cities and towns as well as country area in Japan. Aside from insects, of course, it's really pretty and refreshing of a change from America. Particularly the countryside of Okinawa where my mom's aunt lives, where there's a really nice ocean view and mostly farmland. We actually saw her house pictured in a scenic calendar once. @_@

I do remember seeing a lot of stray cats in the residential city area too. Once I also found this giant shell when I was 7, but looked inside and it was all slimy and dirty, so I freaked out and threw it... It was probably a giant snail or something, but afraid of if it might be poisonous or something.

Actually, I found this picture from my last trip there, where my mom and I were walking casually and saw two cats cuddled up on a car hood. xD I was surprised they didn't run away...

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa View Post
Cute lizard!

@Velv: Nuu, just moved here to live.

Ooh! Wow, that is a big move then.

Kouki, lmao. xD That's right.. I asked that without even thinking about the age.. x)

And Okinawa is gorgeous! I am fascinated by the ocean and love it, and the ocean there must be beautiful.. it certainly is in the pictures I've seen. The rural areas of Japan sound so wonderful, I love the nature and the beauty you can find there.. Sometimes you just cannot find that kind of beauty here. u___u

And that's really neat to be features on a calender. Must have been a lovely place!

Lmao, I would have probably been a little weirded out by the shell too. There is a really dangerous snail called the Cone Snail too.

Lol, it would be odd to see a stray cat on the hood of your car, much less two. Haha, luckily the city I live in right now doesn't seem to have many strays.. The Animal shelter here takes them in.

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Yeah, there's really a huge difference between the ocean views of Okinawa(bright emerald-blue gradient) and San Francisco(dark blue-green). XD
I couldn't stand summers there, though. I once nose-bled for hours on several days from the heat... So now we only go in winter when the weather is around 60ish degrees farenheit.

It would be cool to see cats on the car, I mean as long as they didn't poop or anything. >_>
Sometimes I wish I could live on a farm just so I could play with animals, but then I realize the farms are probably filled with insects and such...

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 05-13-2013, 11:47 AM

♥squirrels
♥bunnies
♥skunks
♥deers

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 PM

Right now I'm living in an area with only a small variety of critters: Wild rabbits, pheasants, mice, magpies, seagulls, ravens, crows, finches, owls, pigeons, bats... there actually aren't that many insects, which is surprising to me. I've seen a few sugar ants, maybe two ladybugs/ladybirds, a spider, some slow mosquitoes and a moth or two, but that's about all I've been able to see. Supposedly we're suppose to have stouts and foxes about but they're rather timid.

I grew up in an area that was crawling with bugs- spiders that were a millimeter across to the size of the palm of my hand in both venomous and nonvenomous varieties. We had a plethora of ant species, a huge variety of mosquitoes, flies, and beetles... and you could expect a variety of other things to be creeping around - snakes, squirrels, opossums, geckos, mice, nutria, skunks, racoons, scissor-tailed swallows, blue jays, rock doves, mockingbirds, cardinals, owls, falcons... more snakes, deer, feral pigs, coyotes, cougars, bobcats, javalinas... and on occasion you'll find wolf tracks.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM

I found out the other bird that lives around here.
It's the common swallow. Although, I suppose more commonly known as the barn swallow.

They fly around all over the place here. Apparently they live in the States as well, but I never saw any.
I went out last night to see if I could figure out if their tails were long or stubby, but it was too dark so they weren't flying around anymore. Instead though, I found a nest and was able to confirm what type of bird it was. \ o /

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM

What I most commonly see are deer, mice, rats, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, small birds, hawks, turkey vultures, and pigeons.

I had a pheasant in my yard a few weeks ago. My dog tried to catch him even though he was like three times the size of her.

I think of squirrels as pests. My neighbors feed them and they come and dig my garden up and chewed up my railings on my porches. I need to replace them this summer because they managed to chew through one of them.

I've been seeing a lot of garden spiders lately too. I had one last summer in the garden and she scared me because she was huge! I can't deal with spiders so for the rest of the summer that part of the garden did not get taken care of much.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
Yeah, there's really a huge difference between the ocean views of Okinawa(bright emerald-blue gradient) and San Francisco(dark blue-green). XD
I couldn't stand summers there, though. I once nose-bled for hours on several days from the heat... So now we only go in winter when the weather is around 60ish degrees farenheit.

It would be cool to see cats on the car, I mean as long as they didn't poop or anything. >_>
Sometimes I wish I could live on a farm just so I could play with animals, but then I realize the farms are probably filled with insects and such...

Indeed, the ocean is much prettier with a brighter shade in my opinion. I just like the calming look. A dark ocean reminds me of turmoil. >_<

So you prefer the winter months?

Lol, that would be unfortunate to have any kind of larger animal use the bathroom on your vehicle. xD
I want to own a farm myself, actually. :3 I'd love to have a small one with personally animals.. I just love animals.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 PM

I found out like a week ago that there's hedgehogs here! I found out by seeing one dead on the side of the road though... but! People then told me that you can find them at night. So one night I went wandering around the neighborhood and bam, found one. It was just waddling around. It went and hid in a shadow when it saw me so I was able to get real close to it and stoof. o wo

Stellar Delusion
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 AM

Where my boyfriend grew up (and we're keeping his house as our vacation home, even though the location is poorly suited for year-round residence) we have bison, LOTS of deer, foxes the size of housecats, all different kinds of birds including a few bald eagles, tons of snakes (we've had encounters with rattlesnakes there, which are surprisingly docile and don't really care about human presence as long as you don't harass them), and there USED to be wild pigs and goats but an idiotic "conservation" organization killed them all off because they'd "only" been there for 700 years and they had to protect the native animals. Like the foxes. Which they almost drove to extinction in the process WHOOPS.

...I could make a comment on how the people who made this decision were rich white men and they themselves had displaced the native human population, but...

Actually, apparently, even other white men were making that comment. In one of the most conservative towns in California. How sad is that?

*ahem* Anyway though. That's probably the place with the most fun wildlife that I've ever lived in. Right now I'm in the city, so I don't see much, but at the school Cloud and I are currently attending there are squirrels, mice, rabbits, lizards, and...dancing caterpillars. It's caterpillar season and there's milkweed there so the monarch caterpillars are all over it at night...and when you walk by them it kind of startles and confuses them, so they dance.

There are also parrots in my neighborhood that were released after the closure of Busch Gardens.