~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 07-22-2015, 01:14 AM

I'm trying to get back into writing but my characters have a different idea. The main story is being abducted by side characters, one of which is dead for the duration of the main story.

Any one else write and hit these kind of blocks? What do you do to beat the block? And how do I tell this character that they're dead?

kelseydee
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-22-2015, 02:51 AM

Back in mobamingle I wrote a series of short stories in radio serial form. The adventures of Captkayd. One of my characters called pink just about took over. I still don't know if I created her or she escaped. I think every writer has problems with their characters getting ideas of their own.
After mobamingle shut down I tried to keep the stories going. But it just didn't work. I kept the on line avi name Captkayd thru motion mostly, but have retired it now in favor of what you see. Good luck.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 07-22-2015, 01:06 PM

I'm trying to finish the story for mine, and it's just not working. My characters don't want to. HOW AND WHEN IN THE FLIP DID THEY DECIDE THIS
THEY KNOW THEY HAVE TO GRADUATE
COME ON GUYS

So, in the end, I'm still stuck.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-22-2015, 03:20 PM

Right? They're not even the main character! And one is dead!! Ffs! No you can't have your happy life as if the events I set down never happened. You're dead, you're a wash out, and you're sad alcoholic. Stop being happy damnit!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-22-2015, 10:05 PM

The last time I hit a road block like that (not for my story but to help someone) was to write out the major events that will take place to reach the end of the story. From there each "chapter" has to work toward that goal in some way.

Basically I titled each "title" of the story to the end and so any side story effects would have to be either short, or able to develop main characters in some way.

Also I like to keep dead people dead. It really simplifies things :D

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 PM

Oh she's staying dead, there are no zombies in this story! The privatism is the characters want to be in their twenties and thirties instead of fifties.
I actually have been trying to write out the time lines to help with continuity issues in the story. It's written like a series of short stories so trying to keep what happened consistent had started to become an issue.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 PM

If that's the case, have you considered rewriting it, and trying to give it a better flow? Rewriting it might help you to see where the problems are. Since rewriting requires you to rewrite and reinput information, it makes your mind process it instead of glazing over it when you reread it.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 PM

There will be rewriting I just don't have enough material to start looking into rewrites. I feel like I'm at an impasse with these characters until I have told their story in a way that they will shut up and let me get back to it. XD

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-23-2015, 12:46 AM

Interesting. Have you considered roleplaying with someone you trust? Sometimes having someone else forcing your hand to act helps.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-23-2015, 12:59 AM

Not with these characters. I have RPed loads but I feel like I have to explain every little detail about these characters. Even just the family organization is an atypical mess. And they keep adding complications. Maybe I should just write the back story they want and bury it. Then I might be able to move on.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-23-2015, 01:22 AM

A backstory might help

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 AM

I usually just give it a rest, do something else, and then come back to the story.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 AM

Poet, the back story is... Uh... A bit well off track from anything that I was planning on. Like waaaaay off track.

Pap, I have been taking a break from the story. Too much going on in RL i wash hoping that I would be able to zone our to dine writing. But alas. No dice.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 AM

I'm writing the second draft of what I hope will be my first novel. ^^
Uhm ... Write an interview between yourself and whatever character is bothering you? It might help.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-23-2015, 02:16 AM

That's an idea, I was drawing pictures insured of writing. Maybe I need to be having that interview or conversation.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-23-2015, 02:22 AM

hehe I had a conversation with my "Muse" once, it was very enlightening.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 PM

I will try that. Although drawing is fun it just adds to more ideas for them. I guess my issue is my must fit the story is the same one that's derailing my efforts.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-23-2015, 12:55 PM

Hm ... but stories change while you write them, don't they?

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-23-2015, 01:41 PM

Sometimes. More often new details get told but the story status the same. For my story it's stories that the main character tells of events in his life based on times his godfather (the character giving me trouble) comes for visits.

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 07-23-2015, 02:52 PM

Why don't we try this, Long? Write a side story for the characters to be young and happy, so that you can finish the main story, lol. Kind of like an alternate timeline.
xD

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-23-2015, 05:05 PM

I think that's what it's coming down to. XD I would rather I didn't because it's only told in bits and pieces and never in sequence. Drawing pictures was easier, but I think it's going to have to be a side story that will have no connection to the main story.

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 07-24-2015, 02:37 PM

I don't know what to do for mine, because I am drawing a comic, and everything just kind of pans out on its own. Dx
"Wait...You're going to WHAT?? Confess?? I have to redraw this entire page now! That's not what was supposed to happen!"

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-24-2015, 03:58 PM

I could never do a comic. D: between characters doing what they want and my drowning taking so long, I would never get anything done.

Quantum Angel
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 PM

This is something that happens to me way too often.

Sometimes it improves the story. Other times I end up sympathizing with characters I really don't want to sympathize with.

I have a minimum of two fan projects in the works - live action remakes of a few animated series I like, from a different point of view, with plot holes filled and some other changes - and in these, one of my goals is to leave no character underdeveloped.

This has unintended consequences.

Then there are my original works, where I'm trying to focus on war over resources but instead I get sidetracked by the engineering of a massive space colony and the minor characters tasked with repairing it...

I wish I had an easier time getting my brain to do what I want it to.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 07-28-2015, 02:24 PM

*glances at, what, at least five? versions of favorite story, all of which are in the planning stage and won't be ready for writing any time soon*

Last edited by Amane; 07-28-2015 at 02:27 PM..