Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 01-17-2008, 03:03 AM

We're required to read at least 750 at each trimester.

Last trimester, I shocked everyone by reading over 7000 pages. =D

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-17-2008, 03:06 AM

Wow. I would love that. What did you read? Well, actually, what were the best books that you read?

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 01-17-2008, 03:18 AM

Just a bunch of random books. I usually read whatever I can get my hands on.

Ever try Fahrenheit 451?

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 AM

OMG! I love that book. Out of the three Ray Bradbury books that I've read, that is one of two that I like. The Martian Chronicles are the other.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to sukishine Send a message via MSN to sukishine

Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 AM

Read books are bolded.

2010 Book List
1.Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie -- 200 pgs.
2. The Inner Game of Music by Barry Green -- 221 pgs.

To read:
The Screwtape Letters by C.S.Lewis - 0/? pgs.
Villette by Charlotte Bronte -- 0/? pgs.
Heir to Sevenwater by Juliet Marillier -- 393 pgs.
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas -- 580 pgs.
The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley -- ? pgs.
A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers -- 0/? pgs.
Foxmask by Juliet Marillier -- 462 pgs.
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen -- 356 pgs.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susanna Clarke -- ? pgs.
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman -- ? pgs.
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis -- 0/? pgs.
Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith -- ? pgs.
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte -- 345 pgs.
Ender's Game by O.S.Card -- 324 pgs.
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley -- ? pgs.
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien -- 458 pgs.
An Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers -- ? pgs.

Books read: 1
Total pages: 200

Last edited by sukishine; 02-03-2010 at 03:16 AM..

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-17-2008, 04:21 AM

Hooray for Ray Bradbury! You guys have stumbled upon my favorite author.

On my shelf right now, I have...14 of his books. And I know that I've read even more than that, but haven't been able to find a copy to buy. I love that man. And the best part is that he's still publishing.

@[ s u k i ~ s h i n e ]- Emma is one of Jane Austen's novels that I've never really been able to stomach. I've read it, but somehow the entire premise just isn't something that I really enjoyed. I could never quite put my finger on why I think of it so differently from her other novels. Tell me what you think of it when you're finished.

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 AM

Ray Bradbury is a great author.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to sukishine Send a message via MSN to sukishine

Old 01-17-2008, 04:38 AM

My sister read Emma and she really liked it. She also read Fahrenheit 451 as a required book in the summer before 9th grade. I don't think she liked it and we usually like the same things so I haven't read any of Bradbury's books.
I would really like to read all of Jane Austen's books this year. I also want to read several of the Bronte sisters' books along with Alexandre Dumas writings. I read like half of The Three Musketeers and I liked it, but you know how things get...very busy so I dropped it and never picked it back up then I started The Count of Monte Cristo since I loved the movie (I've heard the book is so much better many times) but school work and other events have robbed me of my time, but I already know when I pick The Count of Monte Cristo back up I'm going to love it. I really liked what I did read of it.
Then there are these books my uncle gave me and told me to read...and I never did. >__>
So, I need to read Don Quixote, Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, the biography of Madam Curie, Silas Marner, and more of Hawthorne's short stories...I don't want to attempt his Scarlet Letter novel--it looks a little too complicated for my reading skills right now. ^^;

Krystyne
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 PM

I guess I'll set up my official post now...even though I haven't read one yet this year. ^^;;; I think I'll read a Love Inspired tonight, though...

Book Read/Author:

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...
Send a message via MSN to Rusalka

Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia
@ Kale - xD Amen. Though, good thing I resisted. I was reading the last Harry Potter book when he said that. =P
Once, though, he pulled on my hair. I instinctively threw my hand back in a knifehand, and he dodged it. And once he tried to grab my backpack, and I was halfway through a roundhouse kick on him when he back off. Again. You'd think he'd leave me alone after that, eh?

You'd think so. But maybe you really need to connect the blows for boys to learn their lesson because they may just think you're doing it for play and going to hit like a girl.

Yee hee!! Finished a fourth book!! Though it was too slow.. good thing twas only 84 pages.. stupid english books!

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM

I'm almost done with my fourth book too. I thought that I would have finished it yesterday, but Project Runway sucked out my brain. Awesome show, but I may just have to take some drastic action if they keep on eliminating my favorite designers.

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-18-2008, 04:13 AM

Aw. I don't really watch any TV, since I don't really have any Satallite, Cable, or whatever it is that you people use.

What is the next book?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 AM

Ombria in Shadow by Patricia McKillip. It's one of my fluff reads.

I've got about 50 pages left. I'm sure I can knock that off before I go to bed tonight.

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 AM

What is it about?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-18-2008, 05:00 AM

It's a fantasy novel set in a land called Ombria. The reigning prince just passed away, leaving his five year old son as heir. There's a lot of paranoia that the regent will seize power by killing him, and that the late prince's sister's bastard son will kill the regent to prevent her from gaining power, so the entire nation is a bit unstable. Add in a sorceress who does business in town, a girl who's convinced that she isn't human, and the late prince's mistress, and you've got yourself an interesting story.

I just like how McKillip writes. Her style is very light and flowy. I guess you could say that it's really feminine. There's a ton of detail and description, so everything is thought out perfectly down to how her characters are wearing their hair that day. This book isn't as great as some of her past novels, but I still like reading it a lot.

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 AM

That sounds like a book that I would Like to read.

Ancasta
(¬º-°)¬

Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 AM

...You know, I've always meant to do this challenge on Livejournal, but always forgot to keep up my list. Maybe I'll have better luck here.

Ancasta's Book List (thus far):
1. The Zombie Survival Guide, by Max Brooks
272 pages
2. Spike and Dru: Pretty Maids all in a Row, by Christopher Golden
353 pages
3. The Art of Angel Sanctuary 2: Lost Angel, by Kaori Yuki
99 pages I'm counting it because of the interview and character profiles.
4. Madam: Inside a Nevada Brothel, by Lora Shaner
316 pages
5. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
395 pages
6. Wicked, by Gregory Maguire
409 pages
7. Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
412 pages
8. The Sociopath Next Door, by Martha Stout, Ph.D
241 pages
9. Skin Game, by Caroline Kettlewell
178 pages
10. The True Story of Hansel and Gretel, by Louise Murphy
297 pages
11. Witchling, by Yasmine Galenorn
276 pages
12. The Other Victims, by Ina R. Friedman
214 pages
13. A Dirty Job, by Christopher Moore
387 pages

Currently Reading:
Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides

On Hold:
The Science of Vampires, by Katherine Ramsland, Ph.D.

padfootsy
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to padfootsy

Old 01-18-2008, 03:58 PM

@Knerd - If you ever get the chance to see Ray Bradbury speak, DO IT. I see him at comic-con every year, and it is simply amazing.

I am a fan of the book of short stories, I believe it's called October Country.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 PM

I would sell my mother if it meant I could go see Bradbury speak.

I live out in the middle of nowhere, though, so it's not very likely that I'll ever have the chance to meet him in person. He doesn't usually come into my area.

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 01-19-2008, 01:23 AM

Try finding out when and where the next comic-con is, then schedule a trip out there.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 AM

Comic-Con is out in San Diego, I believe, and getting there would be impossible for me. I just don't have the resources to make a trip out there just to see him.

For now, I'll just settle for keeping an eye on his publications by using AuthorTracker. It lets me know when he publishes anything new, and shows me when and where it's available. It's helpful, especially since most bookstores don't keep up to date with his latest works.

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 01-19-2008, 02:47 AM

Dae got one of her textbooks! Only 2 more to go >.>;

I've always wanted to go to a comic con... I think there is a big one that is in Baltimore, right?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-19-2008, 03:14 AM

I really don't know. The one that I'm thinking of is the Comic-Con International, because that's the one that Bradbury always speaks at. The only other one I know about is in Pittsburgh.

And hooray for textbooks! I'll be getting mine in the middle of next week. I just really, really hope that they aren't going to cost me $400 again.

kitkat
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia
Just a bunch of random books. I usually read whatever I can get my hands on.

Ever try Fahrenheit 451?

irony >__> new books came into our library today, that was
one of them, is it any good?

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 01-19-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd
I really don't know. The one that I'm thinking of is the Comic-Con International, because that's the one that Bradbury always speaks at. The only other one I know about is in Pittsburgh.

And hooray for textbooks! I'll be getting mine in the middle of next week. I just really, really hope that they aren't going to cost me $400 again.
Haha, if only I had a car, it would probably only be a 2 hour drive to Pittsburgh (tops). I really should look into all the comic cons in my area >.>;

Yeah, my books cost $400 last semester too ToT But this semester, I ordered most of them online and only spent about $250-ish... Why do text books have to be so expensive T_T