tentenpuff
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to tentenpuff Send a message via Yahoo to tentenpuff

Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 PM

@ immortaleyes:
Oh, why didn't I think of that? Dx I should've asked someone. ><;

I wish you were at my library, though, so you could point out where the heck the YA section is. Dx
I assume it's Young Adult, but...
I still don't get the difference between YA and Fiction.
.__. ;;
The fiction section was the YA last time, when my brother showed me...
XP

And why is it that I can never find the book? D:
I mean, there was a graphic novel I was looking for, and it said that it wasn't checked out, but I couldn't find it in the graphic novel section. XP;

And I don't get the branch thing, either. ^^;;
Are they like the different parts of the library, or different libraries altogether?
And the Children's Department - is that a branch or a part of the library, or...?

><;

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-23-2008, 11:16 PM

Sometimes libraries just organize their shelves in the strangest ways so that they can conserve space. I know that it took me forever to get used to my college's library - It was just row upon row that didn't seem to fit together. But once you get used to it, you always remember.

Librarians are usually pretty willing to help. That's why they work there, after all. Just stop at the service desk next time you go. Whoever is sitting there can either point you in the right direction, or actually walk you over to where you want to be.

tentenpuff
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to tentenpuff Send a message via Yahoo to tentenpuff

Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 PM

@ knerd:
I will definitely ask for help next time. xD;
I just know I must've been doing something wrong if I couldn't have found as single book on my list! @@;;;

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 PM

Tenten, a branch library is another library in another nearby neighborhood of your city.

The Children's Department, and the Young Adult Fiction (YA) section (as opposed to the regular - adult's - fiction section) are areas in each library.

If you can't find a book they say is in, just ask a librarian at the information desk. They will be glad to help.

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 05-24-2008, 01:55 AM

@angel: I'm trying to steer away from fiction...

*eats book* OM NOM NOM~

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-24-2008, 02:37 AM

I love libraries. I used to spend more time there then at home. But because of this I ended up reading everything of intrest to me. I have even read many books through the library loan system. The library at my college is really bad. It looks like they have not bought a new book in the last 20 years.

`Kitami
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Send a message via MSN to `Kitami

Old 05-24-2008, 05:20 AM

I used to hang out in the library here a lot, like every day basically, so I know where everything is. :sweat:
Our library is separated into an adult library and a children's library. The adult library has fiction, nonfiction, the reference material, large print section, magazines, the "hot list" section, the media archives, the genealogy center, the teen center, the main computer lab, and the art history room, which is like this REALLY awesome Gothic Victorian style room in the back of the library with these big heavy double doors and stone lions outside.
And the children's library is a lot smaller. It has a tiny computer lab with like 2 computers and children's fiction and nonfiction and juvenile fiction and nonfiction and a study center. And then there's this big room that they have plays and movie nights and story time for kids in too.

Its a pretty great library, but the staff is pretty bad. I've lived in this town my whole life and there's only been like two librarians that I've really liked.

Bergamot
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-24-2008, 07:22 AM

@'Kitami - I'd like to read in that Gothic room. x3~ Ghost stories, particularly.

At the moment I'm reading Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel, then I'm having to re-read Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein. Lotsa Gothic.

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to poet`s playground Send a message via Yahoo to poet`s playground

Old 05-24-2008, 07:39 AM

Oooh, this is really cool. I want to try to do it... I might not make fifty, but I'll try for something...

`Kitami

Old 05-24-2008, 07:47 AM

It was a very cool room. I started hanging out in there when I was like seven. There's a big dark oak table with matching chairs and furniture from the houses of the people who founded the town in the late 1800s roped off near a fireplace. And its kind of dark because there's no bright fluorescent light in there like in the rest of the building.

The lady that ran it was like really sweet. She was really old and she like...matched the decor. She had white hair that she wore in a bun and these starched white shirts with high collars and floor length skirts and little wire-rim glasses. She looked really severe, but she was awesome. She was like my favorite person at the library.
She died when I was thirteen and I can't spend much time in that room anymore. Its weird. :/

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 AM

Finished The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine. I need to buy more books from amazon. I finally finished all the books I ordered last time.

Lura Crane
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamot View Post
@Lura - I personally haven't gotten round to reading Pratchett's other books. @~@ But all the people I know who like him seem to collect an awful lot of him, so I think he must be pretty good all round.

As for Gaiman, depends what you're looking for; I want to read his couple of short story collections... but I also want to read Stardust (though the movie made me want to dash my head against something - I'll blame the screenplay writer for that), and people really rate the Sandman series. : ) Movie-wise, MirrorMask is just... wow. I have to get my copy back off the media studies/English teacher/tutor. x3 It's set near where I live.
Oh thanks. 83
I've heard people talking (somewhere?) about Stardust and the Sandman series. I think I might look into those first, haha. But now I'm also curious about MirrorMask, I think I might have seen it at the bookstore when looking for Good Omens. XD The little that I've read about Pratchett's Discworld series makes me want to read more, but I don't know where to begin. XD;

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Immortaleyes

Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 PM

Over the Holiday weekend, starting on Friday I read 6 different books. Right now I'm on a Religious fiction fix, which works for me. I like reading stories about christian characters and how they deal with life's problems.
Deliver us from Evil-Clint Kelly
The Mill House- Paul McCusker
Castles in the Sand- Sally John
The Dandelion Killer- Wanda Luttrell
The Book of Jan & Emily Ever After - Anne Dayton

A total of 1939 pages for the weekend. I'd say that's some good progress.

BlackDinah
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 PM

Hm. Got three chapters into Harlequin- by Laurell K. Hamilton. I read a bunch of the others earlier this year, but I just got my hands on the paperback yesterday...*OMNOMNOM* Should be a couple of days before it's done.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to sukishine Send a message via MSN to sukishine

Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 PM

I finished Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier yesterday and it's one of my favorites now. It's based off the fairytale "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" but very loosely and it goes so much farther plus I'm a sucker for fairy tales. I really want to read her other books which are mainly historical fantasy now so I requested them for my library.
Not long ago I also read Enchantment by Orson Scott Card and I would also recommend that as I enjoyed most of it and it very interesting because it also was fantasy but had a historical aspect to it. After that I read The White Darkness and I can't remember the writer's name exactly but I don't recommend the book. Boring for the most part and not the ending that the reader really wants.

Since some people here are talking about Stardust I would also like to read that. I saw it for the first time last week and I like the movie so I guess Bergamot and I disagree there although I'm sure it's different from the book since movies can never be exactly the same.

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 05-28-2008, 12:14 AM

hello everyone~
I'm just wondering if anyone has read the last book to Anne Rice's vampire series?

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 05-28-2008, 01:50 AM

What is the name of the series? I've read a few of her books, but I don't quite remember the titles or what-not.

DelilahHeart
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to DelilahHeart Send a message via Yahoo to DelilahHeart

Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 AM

I think it has Interview with A Vampire, Queen of the Damned, and Vampire Lestat (i'm sure) in it... I don't know what the series is called though.

Last edited by DelilahHeart; 05-28-2008 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: +details

`Kitami

Old 05-28-2008, 04:19 AM

The Vampire Chronicles. :ninja:

Thoth::I've only read up to The Queen of the Damned. I'm in love with Lestat. <3

DelilahHeart
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to DelilahHeart Send a message via Yahoo to DelilahHeart

Old 05-28-2008, 04:26 AM

I can't stand Lestat but I need to read the rest of the series. I've only read Interview with a Vampire

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 05-28-2008, 04:40 AM

Hmm . . . I've definatly not read those.

`Kitami

Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 AM

Hehe...but you've only read things from Louie's point of view in Interview With A Vampire.
And he is a bit of a drama king in my opinion. A whiner.

But then. I don't really like Louis. xD
I'm much more partial to Lestat.
:love:

MessyArtist
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM

Books?I've read a little. I love reading, but sometimes I forget the names.
  1. Judy Moody Saves the world
  2. Harry Potter 1
  3. Harry Potter 2
  4. Series of Unfortunate Events/ Book the First
  5. W.I.T.C.H. 2
  6. Oliver Twist
  7. Sun Sword Trilogy 1
  8. Sun Sword Trilogy 2
  9. Sun Sword Trilogy 3
  10. Chinatown Girl
  11. A better life
  12. Fire in the Sky
  13. Kauri in my blood
  14. Bad Girls
  15. Girls out late
I could add waay more, but I just can't remember. Aiming to get 25 books.

Last edited by MessyArtist; 05-28-2008 at 08:03 AM..

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 PM

@Eme - What is the Sun Sword Trilogy about?

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Princess Em, do you mean the Sun Sword series by West??

I read the first book of that set.

It was awesome!