Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 PM

I'm glad I could show you all that site. ^^
Just be careful - If lots of people want your books, you'll have to pay LOTS of shipping fees. I'd recommend shipping about five out, and then putting all the rest of the books you have listen on hold until you use up the credits from those. Otherwise you'll be going to the post office nearly every day! XD

Bergamot - Ooh, that sounds very interesting.
I read a similar book, "Girl, Interrupted", that has a very similar premises. Both women were actually in the same mental hospital, even. Just at different times. It was very short, though, but I did enjoy how it delved into her state of mind. I found it fascinating. I'm glad that The Bell Jar will do that as well. ^^

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-31-2008, 10:38 PM

That makes since. Thanks for the tip.

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-31-2008, 10:39 PM

I only have 2 that people want for now. And I just finished reading Ghosts Beneath Our Feet by Betty Ren Wright. I do wish that they would have expanded onto it a little, but it was good for light reading. It was only 137 pages, so I guess I shouldn't expect a lot. I liked the aspect she put in about the town though.

It seems no one likes romances anymore x.x Hmmm -pokes her Artemis Foul book she posted too- This was pretty popular when I read it...hmmm -feels old-

Last edited by jessieomer; 05-31-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieomer View Post
It seems no one likes romances anymore x.x
On the contrary. I'm reading Pride and Prejudice. ^^

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 AM

Ahhh. Well can you tell me where I can get shipping tape? xD
I just got someone wanting the Great Gatsby and I was going to ship it out tomorrow.
I'm thinking Walmart, but I have no idea what it looks like.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-01-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieomer View Post
Ahhh. Well can you tell me where I can get shipping tape? xD
I just got someone wanting the Great Gatsby and I was going to ship it out tomorrow.
I'm thinking Walmart, but I have no idea what it looks like.
Yeah, walmart should have it.
Just a roll of tape (about the size of a duct tape roll) that is very clear.
Clearer than scotch tape. It doesn't have that matte finish.
It would probably be by their other packing supplies. Manilla envelopes, boxes, etc. Which is normally near office supplies. ^^

Bergamot
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Bergamot - Ooh, that sounds very interesting.
I read a similar book, "Girl, Interrupted", that has a very similar premises. Both women were actually in the same mental hospital, even. Just at different times. It was very short, though, but I did enjoy how it delved into her state of mind. I found it fascinating. I'm glad that The Bell Jar will do that as well. ^^
I saw the film, I think. ^ ^ I'll have to track down the book.

TombeEtoile
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to TombeEtoile Send a message via Yahoo to TombeEtoile

Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 PM

I dare!
For this year I will read 200 books.
Starting tally from the beginning of this year (which is why I upped my ante)

35/200

(will update books info when I get home, to much to type on phone)

Sikira_Uchiha
Live Evil
Send a message via Yahoo to Sikira_Uchiha

Old 06-01-2008, 04:59 PM

I dare!
From now until the end of the year I will read 75 books (might change to more)
Books I have Read so Far
1) M or F?
2) Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
3) Animal Farm
4) Awake or Dreaming
5) The Nightmare Games
6) Twilight
7) New Moon
8) Eclipse
9) Giver
10) A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life
11) L8r g8r
Currently Reading
Death be not proud

Last edited by Sikira_Uchiha; 06-10-2008 at 11:07 PM..

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 PM

Great, I picked some up today, but I cannot ship until tomorrow, today being sunday.
Wooo for people wanting The Great Gatsby.
I wonder if she needs it for an English class xD.
-slaps self-
Woo. I think I needed that. I am feeling much better.
Except I say woo to much.
So After I finished Ghosts Beneath Our Feet I posted it on that site.
I'm not seeing much action on their, I tell ya!

Bergamot
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-01-2008, 08:35 PM

I remember reading Gatsby, though I wasn't in the right class to study it (we did Beloved instead). ^ ^ An English student from the year above talked to me about it on the bus, though. : )

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 PM

Cool. I could only get halfway through it myself xD.
I ended up reading the last page and making a book summary about the part i read.
the funny part is I got an A for it xD.

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Immortaleyes

Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM

I read four more books this past week. The Power and the Glory; A season of Shadows; Miss Match and S is for Silence. Kinsey Milhone is probably my favorite detective/private investigator after Sherlock Holmes. I really love Sue Grafton's work.
I'm going to have to find some fantasy books to read soon....the christian romance ones are getting a bit boring.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikira_Uchiha View Post
I dare!
From now until the end of the year I will read 75 books (might change to more)
Books I have Read so Far
1) M or F?
2) Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
3) Animal Farm
4) Awake or Dreaming
5) The Nightmare Games
6) Twilight
7) New Moon
8) Eclipse
Currently Reading
Death be not proud
and also
A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life
I just read Animal Farm, too!
It was quite good, wasn't it?

BlackDinah
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Updated my list with Rise of a Merchant Prince, and the first 100 issues of Birds of Prey. I...read a lot of comics. T_T

I need to find more authors I like...and get a damned library card.

Bergamot
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-02-2008, 07:07 PM

I need to update my liiist~

*at present too lazy to log-in to her main account*

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 PM

I've got to find my library card xD.
I think I lost it to the thing under my bed.
Cause everything ends up going there.
Day-um. I wish I had kept tabs on it.
I have a kinda organized mess in my room
At least I know where my drivers license is
xD

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to sukishine Send a message via MSN to sukishine

Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamot View Post
@Suki - I know what you mean. @__@ I've run in to more frightening witches in my reading, soothsayers going through animal entrails (...I grew up on Asterix and Obelix), but it was just too graphic and are-we-supposed-to-find-this-funny? for my taste. ^ ^;

Best part though, Captain Shakespeare! xD

c: I love fairy tales as well. One of those more frightening witches is Zozie in The Lollipop Shoes/The Girl With No Shadow or-whatever-it-is-they've-changed-the-title-to, whose something of a chameleon, stealing people's identities. It's heavily fairytale and myth orientated, if a fair bit darker than the Stardust movie. It's magical realism, set in Paris. And it's got lots of chocolate. xD
Yeah, I felt like I was going to throw up when the started picking out the guts. >.>
I love Captain Shakespeare! He was very funny and that whole scene with the heart on his face and him dancing and playing dress up when Septimus comes in is strange but hilarious. xD

Ohh, I'm going to have to see if my library has that. It's sounds really interesting.

~~
I'm finding I really like historical fiction with fantasy in it. Especially history that is more ancient so the writer can really put her twist on it. I'm readying Juliet Marillier's The Dark Mirror and I just think that this and her other writings are so interesting and have a lot of depth because of that history which she puts in her perspective.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-03-2008, 02:44 AM

^ Have you every read The Historian by Kostova? It's a more modern take on the Dracula myth. If you don't mind wading through a lot of background on Central Europe and Wallachia, then you might like it.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to sukishine Send a message via MSN to sukishine

Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 AM

I'll add that to my cart on amazon and see if my mom will buy it for me.
Even though it's fiction it's sure to have a lot of actual history about Vlad and that would be interesting to know.
Thanks for the recommendation~ ^^

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-03-2008, 03:14 AM

It's incredibly detailed.
The author did an amazing amount of research in order to set the plot up just right. And the work really shows.

Kostova's major flaw is in creating her characters - You really won't find yourself getting attached to them, or thinking of them as actual human beings. They're a bit one dimensional and they make predictable decisions. But the rest of her writing makes this okay. You get more wrapped up in the history of the manuscript and Dracula that you won't mind slogging through some action scenes.

I haven't read the book in about 3 or 4 years, but some of the scenes still stick out in my mind.

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-03-2008, 03:23 AM

A historical Fiction book I found to be interesting is Girl in a Cage by Robert J. Harris and Jane Yolen. Its about Marjorie, the daughter of the King of Scots, Robert the Bruce. Its very interesting because the authors researched a lot before writing this book, and they put their own little twist on how Marjorie was treated during those times.

Last edited by jessieomer; 06-03-2008 at 03:35 AM..

MurasakiCrown
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 06-03-2008, 03:33 AM

Wow, awesome challenge *_* I can read pretty fast when I need to, but I probably won't start this until summer. *itching to read*

I'm planning on giving the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy a re-read. I rather enjoyed that book.

Gah, if I had all the time I wanted, I could read 50 books in 100 days! DX (that would depend on the length of the book, or course).

Before I start reading, are there any recommendations?

-Tear-
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to -Tear- Send a message via Yahoo to -Tear-

Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 AM

I'll take part in the challenge. I love to read anyways, but lately I havn't been sure about what to read. I'm going to be going to the library in my town later this week, so I'm sure I'll find at leas one or two books to start off with. I will add my list as soon as I begin my first few books.

Bergamot
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I felt like I was going to throw up when the started picking out the guts. >.>
I love Captain Shakespeare! He was very funny and that whole scene with the heart on his face and him dancing and playing dress up when Septimus comes in is strange but hilarious. xD

Ohh, I'm going to have to see if my library has that. It's sounds really interesting.
That's the scene I was thinking of when I said some of the funniest bits didn't need any scripting. xD Their expressions and the whole scenario was enough. My entire family was in peals of laughter at that point.

It's a sequel to Chocolat, which was made in to a movie with Johny Depp. ^ ^

That's the author talking about it on her website. I just love her so much because she's shown herself to be quite versatile in her writing style. She published a collection of short stories that gave evidence enough of that. xD The one thing that never changes is how rich in detail and description her prose is. Sumptuous. x3

But if there's anything sinister about it, it's the ideas rather than any particular gore. I finished reading Beyond Black, which has lots of severed bits and pieces. I think when I'm reading, though, I can just tune it out and not think about it. On film, you kind of have things shoved in your face. x__x

I have The Historian waiting on my bookshelf. xD Now that I've actually read Dracula, I might be able to approach it without feeling guilty.

@Platinum - You've done Hitchhikers, but have you done Dirk Gently? : D

>~< I'm going to borrow the CDs to listen to off my friend again.