Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 PM

There have been historical fiction threads but none touching, I believe, on this specific time period.
England 1066 - The Reign of Queen Victoria
Particularly Encouraging Obscure Subjects.
For example: Tudors are Probably the most popular subject in English historical fiction
right now. While the Tudors are welcome I also highly encourage posts about lesser known subjects.

Discuss: Historical Fiction Relating to the Above Time Period

1. Title and Author

IE: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman

2. Date

IE: abt 1180's - 1216

3. Subjects

IE: King John, Llewellyn, Ect

4. Brief Summery:

Feel Free to List Books that Relate to Time Travel such as Doomsday

Obscure Subjects:

I would like to encourage you,in particular to list books relating to more obscure subjects.
Examples:

William II
Empress Matilda
Edward I, Edward II, Edward III
Henry VII
Sweating Sickness
Pneumonic Plague or Septicemic Plague

Subjects such as the plague can mention the origins of the plague as long as they pertain primarily to British History

Last edited by Emrysa; 08-21-2008 at 05:44 PM..

Yreka
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-25-2008, 03:22 AM

The only non-shakespearian historical fiction that I have read and can name off the top of my head would be The King's Swift Rider by Mollie Hunter. It's a novel set in the early 14th century, specifically based on Robert the Bruce/Robert I of Scottland.

moon waltz
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 AM

I can offer one that at least touches on one of your obscure subjects:

1. Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters

2. The twenty books of the series span the years 1135-1145

3. Civil war between King Stephen and Empress Matilda - the Anarchy

4. Mainly, the books are about a Benedictine monk in Shrewsbury who solves mysteries, but the conflict between Stephen and Matilda (or Maud, as this series typically calls her, probably to avoid confusion with Queen Matilda on the few occasions when the latter is mentioned) shows up as well, though seldom very immediately to Stephen or Maud themselves. There are also a few appearances by Prince Owain of Gwynedd. The first book in the series is A Morbid Taste for Bones, which doesn't really touch the monarchy at all; the second book, however, One Corpse Too Many is set around Stephen's siege of Shrewsbury.

Otherwise, most of what I read concerns the Napoleonic Wars, although admittedly more directly than the Cadfael series does the Anarchy.