spicedroses
(^._.^)ノ
Penpal

Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 AM

I love reading books, not sure if I could complete this challenge though.
Please can you answer the following question.

If you were a pirate, what would your official pirate name be and what position would you fill.

Last edited by Snowberry; 12-03-2008 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: undo edit

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 AM

I HAVE SOME AMAZING BOOK NEWS~ XD

Today I received 10 FREE books. I can't wait to start reading them.
I'll add all the titles & pics soon to meh reading list. hehe.

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Dream_and_Die

Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 PM

Free books? Aw Lucky! There's never a book sale of giveaway around here. :'(

spicedroses
(^._.^)ノ
Penpal

Old 12-02-2008, 02:13 PM

arggg, wish I'd get some free books,

tirethminet
the leenie
Send a message via AIM to tirethminet

Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 PM

@aislin - well, then, it's good that i'm a bit of an anglophile. XD
katars are totally awesome. except the real ones are scary. ;_;

@spicedroses - er. pirate? i have no clue. i'd just be happy to be on a ship. :D
(and why do you need a pirate name? unless you're captain and need something intimidating)

@thoth - ... free books...? 8DDDDD

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 PM

Speaking of Pirates, has anyone read Vampirates? Other than Leenie that is. I'm interested but a friend of mine pushed the series onto me to much and I kind of stared hating it without even knowing what it was about. I know what its about now but I just wanted someone's opinion on if it was good or not.

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 PM

It wasn't exactly a book giveaway, dream&die. Actually, my dad just gave me most of his books... XD

Oh yeah, I love that vampirate comic. I think its very cute.

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 12-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Ew, double post. D:

tirethminet
the leenie

Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM

actually, thoth, vampirates is a novel series by justin somper. from the uk.
(i believe i was the one who pushed it onto her. oops.) but we found the online comic (thank you, google, for happy mistakes) and that's what's making her interested in the novels. even though the only thing they have in common is vampire pirates.
... most of your dad's books is only 10? that is slightly upsetting.

dani, it is good. WHY IS YOU NOT TRUSTING OF THE LEENIE?? T_T
also the fourth one is coming out in april, it's called black heart and he's doing a tour for the us release. ::excited:: 8DDDDDDD

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM

I need to finish Jennifer Government tonight or tomorrow morning. I should have it read it before my books that are due back on the 6th, but that would have made sense.

The Hitchhiker's Guide TV show is amazing too. I know I've already said that, but I'll say it again. =P

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Hahaha, thats so funny... I just assumed you were talking about the comic. XD
I've never even heard of that book before. I don't read many english writers anymore tho...
Hmm, sounds interesting. I might be willing to read it.

Well actually my dad has like 2000 books... He's an engineer. He kept all his math & science books, but gave me all his history & astronomy books... which he only had 10 of. *nod*
My dads obsessed with math books.... He used to want to be a math teacher.

~~~~

Really magenta? I've never seen it...

tirethminet
the leenie

Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM

@kat - books and the people who read them don't make sense. period.
tv show? @_@;;

@thoth - actually, i found it sitting on the shelves at the local bookstore near my grandparents and i was like. "OH YAY, COMBINATION FUN!" and then i got addicted. @_@
then, searching google for the official site, that comic was the first thing to come up and i was like "whaaaaat?"
and yay science! and astronomy! not so much math or history. XD

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 PM

h2g2 TV wiki ^^

A lot of the cast are actually the same people who played the parts in the original radio series. I suppose it might look a little dated now (it's nearly 30 years old) but I actually prefer model work to CG most of the time. In the UK it's been repeated on Paramount Comedy, but they usually show the entire series in one night or over a couple of weeks.

There's not too much on youtube, but there are a few clips. I don't think the DVD is for sale anymore so I better go and hug my copy.

WoodSpell
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 PM

I Dare!
Loved reading since I was tiny. I definetly want to try this.:insane:

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 AM

Give it a try its fun. xD
I love seeing how much I've read.

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 AM

@tire: Wow, thats really cool. XD and spontaneous. Lol.
Yeah, I was reading that comic on onlinecomics....
I bet the book is far better tho.

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 AM

::throws hands in the air and runs around the room::

I have officially finished both my English research papers, which means I am done with that class, completed my Math term paper, and I don't need to start on my Philosophy final for another week!

Now I can hunker down with my pile o' unread books. :boogie:
I haven't been reading a lot these past few weeks. T_T

tirethminet
the leenie

Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM

@thoth - it was awesome cause i got a signed copy of gordon korman's born to rock with it as well, so i was like, yay!
the novels are not better, just different. they're set in the future about 100-200 years, but there's no computers or anything. plus they keep you occupied for more than the 1.5-2 hours it took me to read the comics to the current point. XD

yaaaaaay reading~~~
DO IT, DANI.
i need to continue reading the graveyard book. @_@

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 12-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Well, I've read quite a lot this year, but I noticed a BIG ISSUE with my booklist, pretty much I had NO FICTION on it. D= That is a pretty big flaw, I think, and will lead me from enjoying life a bit.

So, I've decided to make a new goal for 2010 and to keep vigilant about posting in this thread!

GOAL: 50 Fiction books, 50 Non-Fiction Books.

Two FICTION books that don't count, but that I finished in the last two weeks, to show you where I'm coming from:

1. Pope Joan by Donna Wolfolk Cross

I wanted to read this before the movie becomes available. (It's been released in Germany.) In the end I think the book makes a great screenplay, but only the first section is a great book. (If you've read it I think you'll know what I mean.)

2. Escape from Hell by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

The sequel to Inferno, written 30 years later! The premise of the first book is that the medieval poet Dante's version of Hell really exists, and the story is told in first person, with the main character waking up in the Vestibule to find that Benito Mussolini has reformed and is helping people escape Hell! In any case, I don't want to spoil it at all, I'll just say that it is extremely well done, especially considering that it is not an original concept, per se.

Yes, I've been reading too much on religion lately, but that is nothing new. And for the record, I am not a "believer" as we are classified, but I have Eastern Orthodox and Quaker roots and generally think it is a good idea to keep an open mind.

Guivre's Book List

Fiction

1. The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

The fourth book in her Outlander, time travel series.This works as a novel, and as historical fiction, but I still feel that the author misses too many opportunities for fun, humor and insight in her work. Her style is very likeable and readable, however. She introduced a plot element in the third book, The Drums of Autumn, that I extremely dislike, and it still is lurking about. I also noticed her beginning to be lazy with characterization in this novel, something with which she's normally adept. However, it is a better book than The Drums of Autumn, and I'm looking forward to the series continuing strong.

2. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Graeme-Smith and Jane Austen

To put it as simply as possible: the book could use more zombies and less ninjas. Nicely done, though I still maintain that this is not a mash-up, just grown-up slash fiction.

3. Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

The book that the above, Escape from Hell, was a sequel to. I think the sequel is a much stronger book, and theologically speaking, makes more sense. It still was fairly fascinating to see the hero of the series as he first wakes up in Hell. Considering I just read the book on theme parks, it's funny to me that for about three-quarters of the novel he calls Hell "Infernoland." That's about all I can say without spoilers. =D

4. A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

I have to say that this book is much better written than any of her others that I've read so far (I've not read her mysteries yet) and I was glad to see her incorporate some of the things that I thought her novels to date had not used. This book feels more like a time-travel book, without losing its historical elements. In her fifth book of the series I had also noticed she had become lazier in developing characters, which she seems to have righted in this one. Also, she wrote in a more three-dimensional way regarding characters of the 'next' generation. That is something that a lot of authors miss when they have children born to their characters and then have to write them as adults. Usually they are very bland or are "Mary Sue." This was happening with the daughter of the main character of the series, and I'll just say 1300 pages of novel would be very difficult to read with a bland daughter in tow. Anyway, so the plot continues through two time frames.

5. Kabuki - The Alchemy by David Mack

6. archy and mehitable by Don Marquis

7. An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

Another Diana Gabaldon book. I do enjoy her style of storytelling, but I am tired of saying "her writing's improved since last book", like saying "oh yay! have a cookie" for every wobbling step. She's back to her old habits of not being able to craft a proper villain. It's all or nothing with her. Being very careful not to post any spoilers, it's like, who's more sympathetic, a Diana Gabaldon villain or Hitler? Well, hmm. At least Hitler liked dogs. Thank goodness I appear to be caught up now, and though I had been curious about her John Grey suspense series, I won't touch them any time soon.

7. Nose Down, Eyes Up by Merill Markoe

Pretty much identical to Walking in Circles Before Lying Down, Merrill Markoe's previous novel.

8. The Dragon Book edited by Gardner R. Dozois

A lovely book of well-executed dragon short stories.

9. Lily Nevada by Cecilia Holland

A nice short western novel by a great historical fiction author about a theatrical troupe taking on San Francisco in the 1870's.

10. Venetia Kelly's Travelling Show by Frank Delany

11. The Great Perhaps by Joe Meno

12. The Two Lives of Miss Charlotte Merryweather by Alexandra Potter

13.The Anarchist: A Novel by John Smolens

14. The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey

15. The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey

16. Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey

17. The Gates of Sleep by Mercedes Lackey

18. Truth by Peter Temple

19. The Berlin Noir by Philip Kerr

Non-Fiction

1. Theme Park by Scott A. Lukas

Covers the history, social and otherwise, of theme parks. Makes a point to stress the difference between amusement and theme parks and how they effect patrons. It's not a bad book, but it's not great either. It reads like a doctoral paper but without the thesis. It would have been better to have that point, or try to be a more thorough reference book. I think chapter four was the strongest, and the last chapter, on branding and theme parks (ala stores like Niketown) was the most topical and interesting.

I was surprised by the fact that, especially in the past, there were so many themes regarding peoples' fears in the parks. Especially that of Fire, which you wouldn't think you'd want to stress in a large recreational area, especially at the turn of the 20th century, when fire in public places still caused so many deaths.

2. The Yamato Dynasty by Sterling Seagrave

Generally, a history of the Japanese Imperial Family in the modern age, and looking at the corruption following the end of World War II. I'd been avoiding this book for a long time, as I am a bit of a follower of various royal families (specifically Bulgaria, Japan and Belgium) and post over at The Royal Forums quite a bit. I've read a lot of speculative books on royal families (way too many on the idea of the Romanov family surviving assassination) and this one is backed up by a reasonable amount of source material. Also this book's notes should be read along as you read it, or you might actually think things are being exaggerated.

I will say that it isn't flattering, so if you're unfamiliar with the Imperial Family, this wouldn't be a good introduction to them. I do think that it did it's job, even though I don't agree with a lot of the characterization of the living members of the Imperial Family.

3. Ascending Peculiarity Edward Gorey on Edward Gorey, compiled by Karen Wilkin

A compilation of Edward Gorey interviews, over 25 years. A bit repetitive, but generally insightful and worth reading for fans.

4. Alex and Me by Irene Pepperman

Written in the style of the usual memoir, which I think is too bad because the author has such worthwhile things to say even if some of her anecdotes are not quite up to par as far as entertainment value. So, bad editing there. But, if you were a follower of her avian studies and a fan of Alex himself, it is important to read. I was very surprised reading this what little support her project got considering how much it captivated the imaginations of the public.

5. Wild Horse Annie and the Last of the Mustangs by David Cruise and Alison Griffiths

6. The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins

Dawkins does a nice job of showing the big picture of evolution, and this one was much more enjoyable than his last book, having a much more positive outlook. I especially enjoyed the chapter on embryology, you could feel his enthusiasm and wonder reading it.

7. Why Translation Matters by Edith Grossman

8. Winging It by Jenny Gardiner

9. The Sign and the Seal by Graham Hancock

10. How It Ends by Chris Impey

11. Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis

12. Physics for Future Presidents by Richard A. Muller

13. The Last Train from Hiroshima by Charles Pellegrino

14. Other People's Rejection Letters edited by Bill Shapiro

15. Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life edited by Barnaby Conrad and Monte Schulz

16. The Case for Pluto by Alan Boyle

17. Ubiquity by Mark Buchanan

18. Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland

19 Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain

And lastly, my Shelfari.

Last edited by Guivre; 08-06-2010 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: This year's model.

Aislin
*^_^*

Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 PM

@Dream: Congratulations! It seems to be the season for research papers; I'm glad you got yours done.

I hate when "real life education" gets in the way of my reading groove. :P

@Guivre: Yay Guivre! Welcome to the Challenge. That's quite a bold goal, in the real sense of understatement. I'm looking forward to watching your progress!

I love Dragondrums-- it's the first McCaffrey book I ever read, and I reread most of Pern this summer. :heart:

I've just finished Blink, and it has completely overtaken my reading list. I looked up several of the experts that Gladwell referenced during parts of the book that I found interesting... and some of those experts have written books... quite a few books... which are now all on my reading list... Why does this always happen to me?

Last edited by Aislin; 12-03-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-04-2008, 12:32 AM

@Guivre: Oh! I read Dragonsdawn a few tears ago. I've been meaning to read all of the Pern books... for like 5 years. xD

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 AM

Oh they're a lot of fun, but there are so many of them now. D=

And recently Anne's son Todd has taken over, so we will see how that goes. It should be interesting to see the switch in a series/universe created by someone from a feminist perspective as it goes to a male author.

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-04-2008, 01:57 AM

Oh boy. Last time some one took over a series for a parent it confused me. Like The Black Stallion series / Young black stallion series. It was the same characters but the writing seemed different to me so my brain exploded while reading.

By the by any one who read the black stallion. Do you know Terri Farley and her "Phantom Stallion" Series, she's not related to the other Farley's apparently. On the Black Stallion Forum thing, they talked about how she just changed her pen name to Farley when she started writing about horses to help with sales.

tirethminet
the leenie

Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 AM

i wanted to read those dragon books since i saw them while working in the school library in middle school, but i kept getting distracted. XDDD

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 AM

I got into them because my grade school English books used lines from the book and parts of the summary in the lessons section. Like each chapter had information and lines from different books. That's how I got into Ursula K. LeGuin.