Robot Jane
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Robot Jane

Old 04-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Anyone ever read this awesome book set in 1991 about a freshman in highschool dealing with the lives of people around him and trying to "particiate"?

You should. It's awesome. they mantion Nirvana and Pink Floyd and Blondie and the Smiths.

Music aside, though, it's really good, and has strong characters, and is overall an awesome, funny read.

Robot Jane
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 PM

Now I feel bad because no one's responding.... :ANGST:

Caroline
stay gold

Old 04-25-2007, 11:24 AM

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower is such a beautiful book.
    I downloaded songs from the mixtape Charlie made as well. ^^

Menstrual Cramps
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Menstrual Cramps Send a message via MSN to Menstrual Cramps Send a message via Yahoo to Menstrual Cramps

Old 04-25-2007, 11:47 AM

I have the book. =)
I read it, loved it. The book was so real, not one of those fake boring diary types. He literally talked about everything. That kid went through so much.

KingBitterness
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-27-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Jane
Anyone ever read this awesome book set in 1991 about a freshman in highschool dealing with the lives of people around him and trying to "particiate"?

You should. It's awesome. they mantion Nirvana and Pink Floyd and Blondie and the Smiths.

Music aside, though, it's really good, and has strong characters, and is overall an awesome, funny read.
This book really is amazing. <33333333333333

I loved it soooo much. <33333 I finished it about ... 4 months ago. D:<
>>;; ALL of the literature and music the book recommended were good. : 3 Especially Catcher in the Rye.

<<;; I think the reasons I liked it and the reasons you liked it are different, but meh., We all loved it.

angel08
n/a

Old 04-28-2007, 01:04 AM

I've heard of it and always ment to read it
I have yet to though D; </3
::Should get around to it::

Man
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-28-2007, 06:10 AM

One of my favorite books of all time. I can read it over and over again, but never get sick of it. It makes me wish I could actually meet Charlie. His situation and Aunt Helen's was upsetting for me.

sapphireaster
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower is such a beautiful book.
    I downloaded songs from the mixtape Charlie made as well. ^^
[.I did a youtube playlist of every song Charlie mentioned.
He had a great style of music ;D

I love this book. It's probably one of my favorites.
Some parts are so hilarious. Many, very depressing
.]

DeniedUltraSex
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to DeniedUltraSex

Old 04-29-2007, 10:14 PM

>> Good but sad, sad book. ;3;
All my friends have read it too. <3

mesic
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to mesic

Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 AM

I loved this book intensely when I was a teenager.
But... I recently re-read it and only felt sad and nostalgic. :(

So I passed it on to my 16-year old sister and its become her new favourite book. :D
I happened to see it in her room the other day, and its dog-eared and the cover's nearly gone, but I'm so happy to see its well-loved.

Definitely a book to pass on, as often as possible.
... even if it does seem to make people leak around the eyes.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-07-2007, 08:28 PM

To be perfectly honest, it's one of the few novels that I truly hate.

It's nothing more than a modernized rip-off of Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. If you break apart all of the plot elements, the characters, and the general themes, they are exactly the same. Chbosky simply dumbed it down so that teenagers could understand the "deeper" aspects of the story. Throw in a couple of contemporary references for kids to identify with and think are 'cool,' and he made himself a best seller.

Just just can't stand it. I've read through the thing four times, and it just seems to get worse and worse.

morph
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-07-2007, 09:57 PM

i read this just this year.
i really enjoyed this book. its one of the better ones i've read all year.
i like the story line and the characters were well thought out.

Rayvnn
n/a

Old 05-08-2007, 12:57 AM

I loved this book. My friend was the one who gave it to me. It seems to be passing around throught our group. When one person finishes, they give it to someone else.

I thought it was a really good book that seemed more real than most of the stuff thats out today. It was a book I could actually connect to. An excellent read that I think you should pick up if you haven't already.

I also really loved the poem that was written within the book. It actually had a soul, and not the highly cliche' poetry we deal with everyday in AP English.

Robot Jane
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 AM

Hooray! I went away for a while and people responded!

My friend actually met the author. She, like, went to his house. She was visiting her grandparents, and they had the book, and she read it, and then they were like, do you want to meet the author, he lives across the street! And so she had tea at his house. XD I just found that out and got jelous.

Menstrual Cramps
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Menstrual Cramps Send a message via MSN to Menstrual Cramps Send a message via Yahoo to Menstrual Cramps

Old 05-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Hooray! I went away for a while and people responded!

My friend actually met the author. She, like, went to his house. She was visiting her grandparents, and they had the book, and she read it, and then they were like, do you want to meet the author, he lives across the street! And so she had tea at his house. XD I just found that out and got jelous.
Oh man, now I'm jealous!
Lucky, Lucky. Where does her grandparents live, hmm? xD

mesic
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to mesic

Old 05-19-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd

It's nothing more than a modernized rip-off of Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. If you break apart all of the plot elements, the characters, and the general themes, they are exactly the same. Chbosky simply dumbed it down so that teenagers could understand the "deeper" aspects of the story. Throw in a couple of contemporary references for kids to identify with and think are 'cool,' and he made himself a best seller.

Just just can't stand it. I've read through the thing four times, and it just seems to get worse and worse.

Wow... just wow. Knerd, you've opened my eyes so drastically to this novel. I've read both and just never made the connection. You've actually got a very valid and very good point here, and I'm so floored by that realization right now.
I think I'll give my little sis a copy of "Catcher" now and see what she thinks. :3

Thanks for making that connection!

Soliaeda
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Oh dear..I was thinking of the wrong book..The book I was thinking of was about a girl who is neglected for her two sisters and she finds a way through a loose board in a coat closet to go into the walls of her large house. She ends up living in there coming out at night for food. It's a throughly engrossing novel. I loved it. I'm terrible at explaining books though =/

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-19-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesic
Quote:

Wow... just wow. Knerd, you've opened my eyes so drastically to this novel. I've read both and just never made the connection. You've actually got a very valid and very good point here, and I'm so floored by that realization right now.
I think I'll give my little sis a copy of "Catcher" now and see what she thinks. :3

Thanks for making that connection!
I'm glad someone else sees it now, too. The only reason the novel has gained such a following is because it's a simpler story set in a more modern time period. Teens can identify with the writing, so they don't bother to look any deeper.

I once wrote out a huge essay comparing the two books. The more I thought it through, the more I found. It's quite scary, actually.

`Darling
n/a
Send a message via AIM to `Darling

Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 PM

I read it earlier this year for my English class, and I liked it a lot.

After reading Knerd's replies, I think I might read Catcher in the Rye as well.

Astromantic
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Astromantic Send a message via MSN to Astromantic

Old 05-27-2007, 07:31 AM

Oh, I love that book. I've only read it once because I borrowed it from a friend who stole it from her sister. I need to buy my own copy sometime. Every teenager should read it. I agree that it is like a modernized (more or less) version of Catcher in the Rye, but that's the reason why I think every teenager should read it. I've read both books and loved them both. I had to read Catcher later on for required reading in 11th grade and a lot of the kids in my class said they hated it. It was clear that they didn't understand it. Hand them Perks and they won't be able to put the book down.

Knerd, I'd love to read your essay comparing the two. Do you still have it? <.<

Sylria
*^_^*

Old 06-08-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:

This is my favorite book! The moment that I read the first page, it captivated me! I have read it atleast 20 times! It is one of those books that can change your life.

The whole story pulled me in. I loved the authors way of making you feel as if you could know Charlie. I really felt connected to him throughout the entire story and even cried at the end of the book.

Alot of people have never heard of this book, so I mention it to almost everyone that I know. I feel like I need to share this book with everyone. It really is one of the best books that I have ever read in my entire life. I am glad that you like it as well!

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwizzle
Knerd, I'd love to read your essay comparing the two. Do you still have it? <.<
Actually, it's not so much an actual essay as me listing all the major points of comparison between the two novels. I add onto it whenever I feel the need to rant. =)

It's a bit too long to post on these boards. I'd just feel guilty getting all that gold from it. I'll pm it to you. If anyone else is interested too, just message me and I'll be happy to pm it to you.

Shikyo
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 PM

It's a decent book. Maybe I should read it again.

morrissey
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via ICQ to morrissey Send a message via AIM to morrissey Send a message via MSN to morrissey Send a message via Yahoo to morrissey

Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 AM

Aaahh, that's one of my favorite books!!! Chbosky mentions the best books and music. He mentioned The Fountainhead and yes, the Smiths. Morrissey!! lol he mentioned my favorite song by them, Asleep. I love Charlie. What a great ending. And I love Patrick, even though he took advantage of Charlie and kissed him. And then there's Sam, who is unconventionally beautiful. Hehe. And they even mention the Rocky Horror Picture Show!! How much greater can a book get? And I like the way it's an epistolary novel too.

morrissey
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via ICQ to morrissey Send a message via AIM to morrissey Send a message via MSN to morrissey Send a message via Yahoo to morrissey

Old 07-05-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:

I know that this has been said already, but I never really have made that connection. I've read both books and I love both of them. I read perks before Rye though.