meiastar
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 PM

I had a creativity block for a few years...it wasn't until I tried a new media that I started enjoying making art again. I used to do traditional paint all the time. But it got to be too much of a strain, like I was trying too hard, trying to force stuff out that wasn't there. So I didn't do any for a long time, and every once in a while I would try and it would come out terrible.

Then I started experimenting wtih CG art and have sort of taken off since then. I can only do art when I have no pressure on myself to perform. Just have fun and learn about differnet mediums and try new stuff. And I agree that doing commissions is a great idea. I am addicted to commishes because I have no original character ideas of my own anymore. I've had writer's block for years.

darkcheese
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 AM

what I usually do is often just leave it, and then come back to it once I have it figured out.

sometimes I never figure it out, and put it in my "unfinished art" bin, and will come back to it once Im done with what I'm currently working on.

Most of the times, that gives me time to think and fix what I was blocked on.

sometimes I don't have an idea and I just throw it away.

maybe its time for you to throw it away?

kikirakikai
Send a message via AIM to kikirakikai Send a message via MSN to kikirakikai Send a message via Yahoo to kikirakikai

Old 06-13-2007, 05:47 PM

I usually first: force it out.

I draw and draw more than I usually do but if it seems they're still I crappy I usually say "asdklfj Forget it! D<" and wait for the rain~ XD

Rain is like my biggest motivator~ :3 It gives me all kinds of ideas and makes me happy~ :3

Chax
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-20-2007, 06:41 PM

Blocks are annoying little things. I usually have art fazes during school when I'm suppose to be doing work, then during the summer I have complete blocks TT W TT . In order unblock myself I just read a lot of manga, watch anime and play mmorpgs until I find the urge to draw again. XDD!~~

Sovelay
Send a message via MSN to Sovelay

Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 AM

I just draw, draw, keep drawing till I get inspired. Or I hang out on dA and watch other people's art. ^^

Arachnephobia
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 AM

I kill it. )<

ROAR!

Nagahashi_Miharu
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 AM

I just do other stuff besides drawing, like watching TV and playing video games. You'll be unblocked sooner or later.

However, sometimes to unblock myself, I just stare at other artists' works. Their awesomeness usually inspires me to experiment with styles.

rindapinda
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-07-2007, 01:03 PM

If you don't feel like drawing, but you just keep trying to, it won't work, believe me, I've tried. The best thing to do is do something else you enjoy, like listening to music, playing a game, watch tv, (browse menewsha,) etc.
Once you feel like you want to draw again, start!

Of course, when you don't know what to do, you can ask for feedback. You can ask other people what they think would be best to do, or if they can see a mistake. It'd be best thing to figure it out for yourself, but it's not a crime to ask for help! Everyone can have an art block now and then!

The worst thing you can do is force yourself into drawing. It'll take the fun out of it, and drawing is supposed to be fun!

naida
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 PM

• i (unlike rinda) have to MAKE myself draw;; art blocks come (with me) from not drawing because i can't be assed.
    in the end i find it hard to draw because i come out of practice > art block D8;;

i think it depends on the type of person.

if you're stuck, do freebies for people but ask them to specify what they'd like ~
    or just look at other artists work and try to steal their style in a picture x3

also, i find that doing studies, drawing from real life and making sketches of things like motion or animals or wtva not only help you improve skill
    but help get rid of art block- if not, and your artblock is lasting FOREVARR then try putting the practice you got from studies togetharr and DRAWDRAWDRAW!

even if it comes out rubbish, its a good way to improve your skills in the way you really cant be bothered to when you're inspired to draw something awesome

/ramble

ehh i hope that helps a bit <3

CLAMP
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 PM

I usually watch a fantasy video or draw an avatar form a site. It helps me to get past a block and it will always inspire me to start a new story and to make new characters.

Twism
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-12-2007, 04:18 AM

I draw little chibi animals running through obstacle courses XD XD <3

Zefster
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 PM

When I'm in an art block I like to browse deviantART for inspiration, and if that doesn't work I try reading my favorite manga and drawing some of the characters from it. I dunno why but that usually works well enough. xD

Most of the time when I have an artblock I keep drawing but hate how my artwork turns out, but then look at it later and realize its actually better than my normal stuff. How weird... @_@;;

Ahmuhmia
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Ahmuhmia Send a message via MSN to Ahmuhmia

Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 PM

I just doodle, doodle, doodle.
Or I just have to wait like, a month, then when I pick up a pencil again, I can draw again!

The worst art block I've had almost lasted a whole year. D:

Luumi
*^_^*

Old 07-29-2007, 09:53 PM

I go online and look up pictures of clothes from a few hundred years ago. Like...Medieval and Renaissance stuff. (I know I probably spelled them wrong) I grab paper and start drawing the patterns on original characters I've already drawn. All the different patterns give me ideas, and soon I can make a few more good sketches. Once I get out of my artist block, I can hit the ground running.

cupcakette
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-01-2007, 04:22 PM

I look through Fashion magazines and browse Japanese popart. Fashion editorials also inspire me to draw, the colors, the outfits annnd the models end up being just so gosh darn tastay. Japanese popart, I don't know there's something about it that I love and gets me motivated.
ilovelovelove this artist: http://www.sweetyumiko.com/artwork.php
favorite fashion editorial of all time: http://www.style.com/vogue/feature/120103/index.html

crystal_wings6
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 PM

FOr me, I just stop drawing and wait for like a week or just a few day, and then when you restart again, usually my art block is gone. >.< Or if it's not then I just look at all the pretty arts. ^^ And try to find my errors.

Teh Tradge
Send a message via AIM to Teh Tradge

Old 08-04-2007, 04:52 PM

I look at my old art, and then look at people, such as anime characters, that I'd like to draw. Or I scribble a few lines and shapes, and maybe write down some stupid idea for a comic, and I'll draw a cute little scribble of it.

Then something clicks, and I'm ready to do a real piece of art. n__n~

Smith
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM

When it's about a storie I'm thinking, and can find a good start or continue I usually have my two friends who also do stories, so I tell them what it is about and then ask them what do they think about my start or continue to the storie, and they give me ideas and inspire me.

If it's about a drawing with an Idea and drawing in general, like I'm just doing stupid doddles that come out horrible, I don't draw for a few days, and just do other stuff, like read, play games or concentrate in studying ><; and then go and try again^^ until I can draw again ^__^

khomi
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 PM

For me, I usually take a one day break or so. During the time I like to listen to music. The right music can get me in the right mood to draw a certain scene or picture. And also, I browse devART to see the art of others. I get a lot of inspiration to get better that way.

mrwhiskers
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-23-2007, 03:21 AM

punch in the baby maker!

Jadiesama
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Jadiesama

Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 AM

generally if i'm on a block, i'll go and find something new to draw. Last time i had a block i decided to go on the subway and draw people, and now i'm back to business. Obviously not everyone can do that, but i'm basically saying drawing from observation helps get rid of the block, and also helps you get better as an all around artist.

sorakoii.
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 AM

For me, art block comes a lot.
Usually when I'm blocking, I just sketch and doodle and work like crazy until it eventually goes away.
And then after my block is over, my art improves (:

Peppermint
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM

• Same. I used to be so good, and now...BAM.
    I seriouslly cant draw anythign worth gold anymore. DD:

t0tto
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Ohhwah. I hate blocks so much. This summer I hardly drew at all and it drove me nuts.

To get back into the swing of things, I tend to look up different pictures that other people have done and use the poses to draw my own characters on. Either that or I find a picture of someone famous I like, this summer I started on Reita from the GazettE, and draw them. 8D If you like them it helps more because you'll want to finish it.

animelver
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 PM

^.^ When I have blocks, I just sit in my room and stare. Or I will turn on music that best represents what I think I want to draw(sometimes I just don't know) and then I lay down on the floor or the couch with my sketch book balanced on my head until I get a good feel of every part of the sketch I want to do. Then I can usually do it.