Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 AM

I've seen the film of Interview With a Vampire, and I really didn't like it very much. It's just not my kind of story. It seemed to play into every single vampire stereotype I've ever heard of, and even created a few that have become popular recently. While it might have been more original at the time it came out (when it was first published), I don't think that it can continue to stand on it's own. The only thing that held my attention throughout the entire thing was Kirsten Dunst's acting.

`Kitami
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Send a message via MSN to `Kitami

Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 AM

I actually like the movie very well because...well...Lestat. *cough cough* :love:

And I think that Kirsten Dunst played her role very well, especially when you consider that Claudia really is the most serious, depressing, and in my opinion, the most frightening one of the trio. There is just something about such a lovely child being so deadly that is just unnerving.

And I find Claudia to be like, one of the most tragic characters in the series. Could you imagine growing up in mind but staying like a child in your looks? That would be so sad...

BlackDinah
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 AM

Ahhh...I just finished The Harlequin, by Laurell K. Hamilton. It was good. Not as much "OMGSMUT" in this one as the previous ones. I liked them better when she was solving crimes with the police...but who can say no to Nathaniel?

Bergamot
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-29-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Since some people here are talking about Stardust I would also like to read that. I saw it for the first time last week and I like the movie so I guess Bergamot and I disagree there although I'm sure it's different from the book since movies can never be exactly the same.
Did I say that I thought the special effects were gorgeous and I liked the concept? ^ ^;

I just thought the script. was. awful. It was stunted, choppy, cliched, and failed entirely to provoke much emotion from me. I got the feeling they were trying to squash words in. It just wasn't convincing scripting. And the characters didn't feel like they had an individual tone, nothing in there to distinguish them from one another. I haven't read Stardust yet, but I imagine Gaiman and the artist were going for something fairytale (explains the cliches), and though I can't fully distinguish Gaiman from Pratchett for Good Omens, but my guess would be, if the jokes are the same as in the book, they're hard to translate and pace well in a movie format. So I thought it was good, apart from the scripting. There were funny moments, but I'd attribute that to what was going on in the acting, rather than the words that were being said.

MirrorMask has a similar not-so-slick sense once you get in to the girl's own world. But because that was made for film with books accompanying (as far as I'm aware), it's a lot smoother. And it had a different person writing the script. Oh, and the difference in emotions. In Stardust, they're fairytale again; quite superficial. In MirrorMask, despite it's even more unusual setting, it deals more with coming of age and identity, which is easier to relate to.

I was afraid of Interview with a Vampire. x3; I watched it while babysitting some children whose family had Sky. They had an early bedtime, and I had time to kill, and I think I wound up unable to sleep when I got home. xD; I'm scared of vampires~

tentenpuff
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to tentenpuff Send a message via Yahoo to tentenpuff

Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM

I feel all giddy... >>;
I finished reading Every Boy's Got One, by Meg Cabot last night~
I really liked it, even if the whole enemies-to-lovers thing is so cliche. xD;;

I like the twist Cabot put in the writing, where you figure everything out from the travel diary, the emails they sent with their Blackberries, and Cal's PDA entries.
I also like the setting of it being about their friends eloping in Italy, instead of just...
Friend's friends meet and their friends hangout and they know each other better, etc.
And at least there's none of the overdone scene where somehow they're trapped in a closet or the house or whatever and they're forced to talk to each other ( though they did kind of drive to Rome together, but that's a different story. Kind of. >>; )

Overall it was very funny and I think that the twists Cabot added to the plot really saved it from being cliched. I'd definitely recommend it to romance lovers.
:9

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 PM

Well now that I have no more school, I'm free to read more bookies! Muahahah. I love to read, and I am actually aiming for 50 books for a year( of 09). I've also scoured some of the other users lists, and picked a few books that I thought were interesting. Las t year (08) I did extremely bad in my book reading goal and I am hoping to change that.

My goal has started: January 1st, 2009
My goal will hopefully end by: January 1st, 2010

Jessieomer's Book list for 12
Witch For Hire Omnibus (3 books in 1)

-to be updated-
1/50 books read
1,693/? pages (undecided page goal)

Last edited by jessieomer; 11-06-2012 at 01:53 AM..

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to sukishine Send a message via MSN to sukishine

Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamot View Post

Did I say that I thought the special effects were gorgeous and I liked the concept? ^ ^;

I just thought the script. was. awful. It was stunted, choppy, cliched, and failed entirely to provoke much emotion from me. I got the feeling they were trying to squash words in. It just wasn't convincing scripting. And the characters didn't feel like they had an individual tone, nothing in there to distinguish them from one another. I haven't read Stardust yet, but I imagine Gaiman and the artist were going for something fairytale (explains the cliches), and though I can't fully distinguish Gaiman from Pratchett for Good Omens, but my guess would be, if the jokes are the same as in the book, they're hard to translate and pace well in a movie format. So I thought it was good, apart from the scripting. There were funny moments, but I'd attribute that to what was going on in the acting, rather than the words that were being said.

MirrorMask has a similar not-so-slick sense once you get in to the girl's own world. But because that was made for film with books accompanying (as far as I'm aware), it's a lot smoother. And it had a different person writing the script. Oh, and the difference in emotions. In Stardust, they're fairytale again; quite superficial. In MirrorMask, despite it's even more unusual setting, it deals more with coming of age and identity, which is easier to relate to.

I guess scripts can always be better honestly. It's just how the screenplay writer imagines it so I do agree with you. I really enjoyed the story though and I love fairytales so I don't mind some cliches. I loved how Yvaine gave her heart to Tristan and that idea and the whole fight scene with the body of Septimus and Triston at the end was pretty awesome. The parts that bothered me were with witches and the animals....that was pretty disturbing.
I've never seen MirrorMask so I'll have to rent that pretty soon.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-29-2008, 11:57 PM

Hooray, jessieomer is the 75th user to post a list!

How did you like the Count of Monte Cristo?

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-30-2008, 12:07 AM

I am actually in love with the count. I based all of my major essays off of Count of Monte Cristo. I thought the beginning however was a bit drawn out, but in the end I was like whyyyy -in the way of why did it end!!-? It was seemingly great that he would not eat from the tables of his enemy, because I don't like to do that either. Kind of puts a new twist on keep your friends close, but enemies closer. because even though his revenge was mentioned out, it seemed like he had formulated it as soon as he was stuck in the jail cell. Poor Edmond....-cuddles her old copy of the book-

And woo lucky 75th, xD kinda funny cause I'm going to try to read 75 books.

EDIT: The fourth book of the Septimus Heap series is called Queste! In case you didn't find out yet.

Last edited by jessieomer; 05-31-2008 at 12:34 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-31-2008, 03:35 AM

I've recently started reading again, and so I'd like to take this challenge on! ^^
I'm not advertising or anything, but I thought this site might be handy for people looking to take on this challenge. Since it can help you get books for cheaper, and get rid of old books. It's definitely fueling my ability to do this. I don't want to fork out 12 dollars every week for a new book. o_o I can hardly afford that.
Anyway, I'm going to start the list with what I've read this year. ^^ Rather than with what I'm reading right now, since we're already a few months into the year.
My goal is 50.

Completed Books:
1. "Girl, Interrupted" - Susanna Kaysen
2. "Water for Elephants" - Sara Gruen
3. "The Lovely Bones" - Alice Sebold
4. "Animal Farm" - George Orwell
5. "Pretty Little Dirty" - Amanda Boyden
6. "Pride and Prejudice" - Jane Austen
7. "Twilight" - Stephenie Meyer (x3)
8. "New Moon" - Stephenie Meyer (x2)
9. "A Clockwork Orange" - Anthony Burgess
10. "Eclipse" - Stephenie Meyer (x2)
11. "The Virgin Suicides" - Jeffrey Eugenides
12. "Breaking Dawn" - Stephenie Meyer
13. "1984" - George Orwell
14. "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy" - Tim Burton
15. "Syrup" - Max Barry
16. "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" - Ken Kesey
17. "Company" - Max Barry
18. "Me & Emma" - Elizabeth Flock
19. "Jennifer Government" - Max Barry

Currently Reading:
"A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" - Mark Twain

To Read:
"The Bell Jar" - Sylvia Plath
"Sense and Sensibility" - Jane Austen
"The Lord of the Flies" - William Golding
"Emma" - Jane Austen
"Otherland" - Tad Williams
"Gunslinger" - Stephen King
"Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul on Tough Stuff"
"Journals" - Kurt Cobain

Wishlist:
"The Host" - Stephenie Meyer
"Persuasion" - Jane Austen
"The Great Gatsby" - F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Thirteen Reasons Why" - Jay Asher

I've also got one book (The Bell Jar) waiting to be read, and I've ordered four (Twilight, The Virgin Suicides, A Clockwork Orange, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).
And there are a couple of others that I want to get, but haven't been able to yet.

Wish me luck on my list. :D

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 12-30-2008 at 04:08 AM..

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM

That site looks great, Cherry Flavor. ^.^

I will have to keep it in mind.

It looks like it is even cheaper than Amazon.com's used books.

Bergamot
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-31-2008, 01:44 PM

@Suki - I know what you mean. @__@ I've run in to more frightening witches in my reading, soothsayers going through animal entrails (...I grew up on Asterix and Obelix), but it was just too graphic and are-we-supposed-to-find-this-funny? for my taste. ^ ^;

Best part though, Captain Shakespeare! xD

c: I love fairy tales as well. One of those more frightening witches is Zozie in The Lollipop Shoes/The Girl With No Shadow or-whatever-it-is-they've-changed-the-title-to, whose something of a chameleon, stealing people's identities. It's heavily fairytale and myth orientated, if a fair bit darker than the Stardust movie. It's magical realism, set in Paris. And it's got lots of chocolate. xD

@Cherry - I read The Bell Jar last Summer. Lots of my friends reckoned it was a bit slow to start off with, but I didn't notice that, personally.

>3< Almost finished Beyond Black. And I'm re-reading my exam texts.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-31-2008, 03:54 PM

Angel - It is. MUCH cheaper.
On amazon the books are normally 4-6 dollars used. Plus 3-4 dollar shipping.
On that site, you pay about two dollars to ship one of your books, and then that's it. You can then get any one book that's available.

Bergamot - Was it good?

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 05-31-2008, 04:04 PM

I've seen some paperbacks on Amazon at fifty cents for used ones, but you do pay a bunch for shipping.

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-31-2008, 04:07 PM

HOMG! I am so joining that site. I have tons of books to give and wanting to read.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 05-31-2008, 05:32 PM

It's nice. :D
I really love it because it's a great way to recycle. And everyone wins in it.
Also, there's sites like that for CDs and DVDs. The links are at the top of that page. ^^

Angel - Really? I haven't come across books that cheap on there yet. CDs, yes. But not books.
This site still ends up being cheaper, though. Since normally from Amazon, shipping is 3-5 dollars, and on paperback swap, it's normally in the 2 dollar range.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 05-31-2008, 05:37 PM

Usually I look for old fantasy novels, but yes, as I said, Amazon postage is a lot.

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-31-2008, 05:53 PM

Woo. I already have two of my books on someone's wishlist. Wooo. -goes and orders the Cirque du freak book-

I think I will also go and tell my old school librarian about this site.

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-31-2008, 06:30 PM

I joined too. And all ready ordered 2 books. It looks like a great site. I hate buying new books because I'm always afraid I won't like it but now I don't have to worry.

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 PM

I ordered the first Cirque Du Freak book, just to test it out. I'm still kinda skeptical, but once I get it, I'll probably like it more. I also put up a lot of romance books, and a few fantasy books, and 3 books I had to read as summer assignments for my English classes

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 PM

I put of 10 books that I bought, read and hated. I can't wait to see how it works out.

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-31-2008, 06:58 PM

I liked all the books, except 4, and my grandma keeps yelling at me on how I don't ever have enough room on my bookshelf or time to read books for that matter. I really hate her when it comes to this. So I was forced to donate all the books I have, but now that I have this, I can trade for bookies that I want to keep xD.

Bergamot
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-31-2008, 07:10 PM

@Cherry - I thought it was very good. I loved her imagery - it's really apt for describing how depression feels, kind of stagnated. And you can take a step back from her, and realise how dire she thinks her state of mind is, compared to how she really is. We studied depression in my psychology lessons afterwards.

Lilith W
bookworm

Old 05-31-2008, 07:40 PM

@jessieomer- I would hate that. I have three six foot tall bookshelves. Two of them are completely full. I still have books that I got when I was born. I don't think I could get rid of books that I like.
At least you do get to exchange them for new books now. That is pretty nice.

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-31-2008, 07:42 PM

Yeah. I am a book lover and so every time my gran makes me donate them I end up getting sour for like a full week before I'll talk to her again. There are some books I simply will not let her make me donate though.