chirp
Sitting on a Tree

Old 02-16-2023, 05:11 PM

Bought a second copy XD

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-16-2023, 06:31 PM

Hahaha, nice!!! I'll make my final decision when I finish this. I'm currently on a story that's kind of a different retelling of the Nutcracker which has been pretty interesting so far.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 02-17-2023, 04:16 AM

Wish I had the time and the energy to read more.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 02-17-2023, 06:06 AM

Just finished the Invisible Library series from Genevieve Cogman, 10/10 would definitely recommend

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 02-17-2023, 08:06 AM

I’ve got a library book due back in two days and I’m only at 54% because something about having to read it makes me do everything else instead

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-17-2023, 03:40 PM

I love your avi Su!

Haha, I am very deadline driven so typically that would help me finish but I've had a couple of ebooks get sent back to the library already this year because I couldn't be bothered to finish them in time. I'm still waiting for them to come back my way.

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 02-17-2023, 09:19 PM

Thanks! It’s a WIP for the event avi contest. Been busy and haven’t gotten around to finishing it.

Yeah, it would usually push me into gear too, but I also don’t like forcing it. I hate how long it takes to come back around sometimes!!

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 02-18-2023, 01:17 AM

I've mostly been entranced by the clichéd "I got isekaid into a fantasy world as the villainess" type manwha. I've probably read about 15 since the start of the year... Obviously, this means my actual reading hasn't been getting much action.

Which, while not the best thing, is still okay. I've started the lofty goal of wanting to read at least 1 book from each country in the world by the time I die. And, to give myself a bit of a kick under my butt about it, to read 10 books for that particular list each year. I've had The Little Prince on loan from the library for about 6 weeks now... whoops~

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-18-2023, 02:09 AM

I've had "Gideon the Ninth" on my list since it came out and a friend finally got me to read it, and it was so great I had to binge the rest of the series. Now I've got him binge reading the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix, and we've been debating about which kind of necromancer would win in a fight, lol.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 02-18-2023, 05:50 AM

So far I've read to books this year... one of them was a kids book.

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 02-18-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
I've had "Gideon the Ninth" on my list since it came out and a friend finally got me to read it, and it was so great I had to binge the rest of the series. Now I've got him binge reading the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix, and we've been debating about which kind of necromancer would win in a fight, lol.
Both of those series have been on my radar for a while! Glad to hear they're both good.

---------- Post added 02-18-2023 at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
So far I've read to books this year... one of them was a kids book.
Eyy, a kids book counts! I've been reading the Percy Jackson series, myself, since I never grew up with them. A win is a win, or in this case, a book is a book.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-18-2023, 04:11 PM

@ Suona: Ooh, I love what you’ve changed your to now!!! The layering is spot on (as always).

@ Chexala: It’s so good to see you! *glomps*

I just finished reading that fairy tale book. I liked it so much that I’m going to start another book by the same author.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 02-18-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiyukaE View Post
Both of those series have been on my radar for a while! Glad to hear they're both good.

---------- Post added 02-18-2023 at 10:49 AM ----------

Eyy, a kids book counts! I've been reading the Percy Jackson series, myself, since I never grew up with them. A win is a win, or in this case, a book is a book.
Not a young adult book a literal book for small children but I still counted it.

Kaderin Triste
Resident Tiger Expert

Old 02-18-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Not a young adult book a literal book for small children but I still counted it.
Absolutely still counts!
And reminds me that I need to remember to write down the kids books I read while checking them in. I probably could have added 10 or more books to my list last year if I had remembered.
xD

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 02-18-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
As you rightly should! Again, a book is a book.

---------- Post added 02-18-2023 at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaderin Triste View Post
Absolutely still counts!
And reminds me that I need to remember to write down the kids books I read while checking them in. I probably could have added 10 or more books to my list last year if I had remembered.
xD
OH noo, missed opportunity indeed! Just add them now, if you remember it. ;)

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 02-18-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I've mostly been entranced by the clichéd "I got isekaid into a fantasy world as the villainess" type manwha. I've probably read about 15 since the start of the year... Obviously, this means my actual reading hasn't been getting much action.

Which, while not the best thing, is still okay. I've started the lofty goal of wanting to read at least 1 book from each country in the world by the time I die. And, to give myself a bit of a kick under my butt about it, to read 10 books for that particular list each year. I've had The Little Prince on loan from the library for about 6 weeks now... whoops~
Manga throw off my reading so much too. Every now and again I'll see an add or something pop up and start reading it and then my regular books are completely forgotten I just love the art, though. It adds an extra nice little treat to it and I also like the light and happy ones. They're like a comfort when stressed out.

It's so nice setting goals! That's a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
@ Suona: Ooh, I love what you’ve changed your to now!!! The layering is spot on (as always).

I just finished reading that fairy tale book. I liked it so much that I’m going to start another book by the same author.
Thank you! You know me, I love my layers It's taking a lot to control myself and not try to add little touches here and there.

I actually think this was the last real avi I made before mene borked. I had it on briefly and then changed out for some contest I think and it was too much work to get it back on. I wanted to do it again and switched some stuff around. It gave valentine's cupid, and I just wanted some warm happy feelings.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 02-18-2023, 09:31 PM

Manga/manwha/comics are regular books and actual reading too! ; A;

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 02-18-2023, 09:44 PM

lol I just mean my regular books are large and long and take a while to read. I really enjoy manga because it's light and fast and is far more relaxing and good to just fill short bursts while still feeling fulfilled. I do love them dearly, but I would say an entire series for one manga would equate to a single book. There's no offense intended in that. I rather think much more skill goes into graphic novels, because it's adding the art of writing with drawing art. I love seeing those small nuances. But regardless I don't think reading a single manga equates to reading a book. Like I said before, I would say reading the entirety of the series tends to equate to a book. Not because it has less depth to it, but in regard to actually reading. Not as much reading is necessary for graphic novels, since they're displaying the imagery rather than having to type out all the details. So like one of my favorite manga is Tail of the Moon and it consists of 15 volumes to complete the story. I would say that equates to one book. Maybe two, if we're talking small books. But generally the books I read are 400+ pages, so I mentally regard that as one book. So I don't think graphic novels can be categorized as "regular books" but that doesn't make them any less. I just don't agree with stating "I just finished a book" when it's a manga volume. I don't believe the comparison works. I honestly have spent significantly more money on manga than ever on books, and they equal far less hours of reading. But they are art and beautiful and worth it.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-18-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
The Locked Tomb series is rather cinematic and intense (and two of the books are infamously confusing) but so, so fun. The Abhorsen series feels rather classic and almost tame by comparison, even though it has some intensity too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
Good to see you too! gods, it's been so long since I've glomped anyone!

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 02-18-2023, 11:34 PM

Fully agree that manga/manwha/graphic novels count as books too - but I also fully agree with you, Suona, that they're like a comfort read. I find myself reading so many of them, and then I hit my reading goal super easily without having actually read any of the dozens of books on my TBR pile. (Tail of the Moon is something I've not yet read, btw, so I'm adding that to my list for sure)

Oooh, tame in comparison? That's good to know! I think I have the first book of the Abhorsen series in my possession - picked it up at a second hand store a while ago - so I'll probably give that one priority and then make my way up in intensity

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-19-2023, 01:25 AM

I guess I should qualify by saying that the Abhorsen series does have lots of death and heavy emotions because its about necromancers, it's just not as much of a cinematic rollercoaster as the Locked Tomb. Sabriel really feels like it was written in the 90s, while Locked Tomb feels very obviously written in the era of Tumblr and TV adaptations

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 02-19-2023, 02:21 AM

Tail of the Moon is ninja themed and I just absolutely love it and all the characters and the art style. Easily my all time favorite that I own all 15 volumes and have read repeatedly

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 02-19-2023, 05:09 AM

I am almost done with another book. The House on the Cerulean Sea. So good.

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 02-19-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I am almost done with another book. The House on the Cerulean Sea. So good.
!!!!!
SO GOOD. I read it last year and then promptly requested a copy of it for my birthday. Absolutely the best book I've read in a while.

---------- Post added 02-19-2023 at 11:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suona View Post
Tail of the Moon is ninja themed and I just absolutely love it and all the characters and the art style. Easily my all time favorite that I own all 15 volumes and have read repeatedly
High praise indeed! I added it to my "planning to read" list over on MyAnimeList (I love all the list sites, seriously, what would I be without them). It really invoked that 90s feeling upon a first look at the covers. Can't wait to give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
I guess I should qualify by saying that the Abhorsen series does have lots of death and heavy emotions because its about necromancers, it's just not as much of a cinematic rollercoaster as the Locked Tomb. Sabriel really feels like it was written in the 90s, while Locked Tomb feels very obviously written in the era of Tumblr and TV adaptations
Oooh, in that sense! Well, both are appealing in their own way, I'm sure - but yeah, Sabriel has been in my little cube of tbr books for a while no so I'll give that one priority. You know... after I finish reading the books I borrowed from the library, since I actually have a deadline for those.

Last edited by ReiyukaE; 02-19-2023 at 10:12 AM..

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 02-19-2023, 09:14 PM

Just finished it. It was so good. I am now working on finishing Fairytale by Stephen King.

---------- Post added 02-19-2023 at 04:15 PM ----------

I may end up rereading The Keys tot he Kingdom series by Garth Nix at some point.