• Join Us

babykabukibrushes
  • Challenge babykabukibrushes in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 02:10 AM

Does anyone know how to stop cats from climbing the Christmas tree. I have seven cats in my house right now and four of them keep trying to climb the Christmas tree. Besides taking the tree down any suggestions?

Dystopia
  • Challenge Dystopia in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 02:12 AM

. . .

That... That made me laugh for like... Ten minutes straight. xD Its just so cute, imagining cats crawling around the Christmas Tree. Pffft!

XD;; Put... Up a fence...?

MissAndroid
  • Challenge MissAndroid in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 AM

You really can't prevent it. Just make sure to not use valuable or breakable ornaments. I think sour apple spray might keep them away (or keep them from marking, unsure) You can always try to set up something else that they find more interesting ...

Death_to_the_reaper
  • Challenge Death_to_the_reaper in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 02:32 AM

Yeah, you can't really stop them.
Maybe wire the tree to the wall to keep them from knocking it over?

xXRainCloudsXx
  • Challenge xXRainCloudsXx in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 AM

Hmm...I've never had that problem...my cat usually just sleeps under it. xD
I don't think there really is a solution...keep the kitties out of that room unless you can keep an eye on them?

Goblin Maiden
  • Challenge Goblin Maiden in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 03:03 AM

Oh, wow. When I saw this I just had to click. My cat has been climbing our tree, as well. Unfortunately, we don't know how to stop him. Fortunately, he doesn't do it ALL the time, but still...

DelilahHeart
Send a message via AIM to DelilahHeart Send a message via Yahoo to DelilahHeart
  • Challenge DelilahHeart in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 03:24 AM

My cats used to do that but then we got two dogs and they don't down to the main floor where the Christmas tree is. Other than getting dogs or not letting the cats go into that room, I don't think there is really away to stop them or prevent them from climbing the Christmas tree.

Sidhe
  • Challenge Sidhe in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 AM

My cat doesn't climb our christmas tree, he just sleeps under it and drinks the water out of the tree stand. :3

My best guess would be to set them up with a toy or treat, or put them outside for a while.

steelmagghia
  • Challenge steelmagghia in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 AM

You can try spraying some cat repellant (which can be bought at a local pet store). Or try the whole "spray with water" thing, but mostly it boils down to keeping all glass ornaments off the tree. :/

Kris
  • Challenge Kris in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 03:57 AM

Ah! I have a funny story about this! ^^

We used a real tree one year. The only year we have, by the way. My kitty was just a baby then, but at that mischievous, adventurous stage. She continuously climbed that tree. And by climb, I mean she would run and jump on it, then climb up and down it as quickly as she could.

Well, because of that, the tree was loose in it's little stabilizer thing. You know, the thing with the screws in it. On Christmas morning, after we opened gifts, my brother was sitting in front of the tree, playing with his new toys. The cat, once again, scaled the tree, but this time it tipped over...right on top of my brother. :P

Emo Teddy
  • Challenge Emo Teddy in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 04:02 AM

aww so cute i can imagine..............pffft.....pffft......hahahaha-that-hehehehe

.....7....... how do you survive....

Zerah Star
  • Challenge Zerah Star in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 04:07 AM

There's this cat and dog pheromone stuff my folks have at their house, when we helped to put up the tree she sprayed it around the tree. It's supposed to make the tree a happy place so they won't do anything you don't want them to do there.

Or you could get a fake tree.

fuyumi_saito
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito
  • Challenge fuyumi_saito in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 04:18 AM

My cat used to do that all the time, it was a fake tree though. She still loved climbing christmas trees, fake or real. Well we would either spray her with water whenever she was caught, or we would just not let her around the tree.

Barftastic
  • Challenge Barftastic in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 05:11 AM

Lol I clicked on this thread expecting some icanhascheezburger pictures.
And I really don't know, I've never owned a cat. D:

Claudia
  • Challenge Claudia in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 05:31 AM

Shut them in another room?>

Jarlina
  • Challenge Jarlina in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 AM

If the cats have lots of emotional trauma because they knock over the tree, they will never want to go near it again. Of course that won't save your ornaments.

Someone suggested using water. If you do spray them with water when they climb, you'll have to catch them every single time in order for it to really take effect. Otherwise they'll not associate the two events and just think you're being mean. Cat repellent might do the trick, but I have never tried to use it. I don't know if it smells bad to humans, or if it only repels cats.

II-PixehStick-II
  • Challenge II-PixehStick-II in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 AM

put a fence around the tree :D

Sev en Ester
  • Challenge Sev en Ester in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 06:48 AM

Oh! That happened when I was little! I ran up to tell my parent the cat knocked the tree down and they didn't believe me xD

I guess you could keep the door to the room shut ((assuming there is a door)) or maybe leave some peeled citrus fruits around the tree? (<---- heard cats despise the smell of citrus.)

Easiest thing to do I'd think would be to keep them in one room at night with a litterbox and some water. Though since you have so many cats, multiple rooms.

KittehMEW
  • Challenge KittehMEW in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 AM

I guess my cat is too lazy too climb. He spent half the holiday just laying all over my nicely wrapped presents. Jerkface! He squished all of them.

sayuri_nitta
Send a message via MSN to sayuri_nitta
  • Challenge sayuri_nitta in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 AM

We had a cat last Chrismas (2008), and he would try and climb my skinny artificial tree. Used to knock it down during the night. Luckily it was light enough to be picked up, so I used to shut it away during the night XD
This year we sadly to had to rehome him (for various reasons I won't be going into), but when he was here I found that splashing him with water didnt work as he didn't mind water :P

Peppermint
  • Challenge Peppermint in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 PM

xD Haha i wish i had a cat!
sounds cute tho <3
but alas i hae no idea :P

`Haru
Send a message via MSN to `Haru
  • Challenge `Haru in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 01:40 PM

I don't know. I have never heard of that before.
&Like Peppermint said; It sounds kinda cute though. x D;

Twethereal
  • Challenge Twethereal in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 01:54 PM

My cat doesn't try to climb the tree, but she used to bat at the bottom branches like crazy. We ended up attaching bells to the bottom so we would hear it when she was doing it so we could catch her. Some years we have even put a remote control train around the tree and turned it on when we saw her doing it. That scared her away. ^^

Cami
  • Challenge Cami in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 PM

... you have seven cats? D:

My friend's cat used to always climb her tree and pounce people from the upper branches.

Yeah
  • Challenge Yeah in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 04:18 PM

My cat never tried to climb the tree, he just liked to bat the balls at the bottom of the tree.