• Join Us

Nalin Sun
NPC
  • Challenge Nalin Sun in the Arcade

Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 AM

Artwork by Torikat. Banner by Sizzla and Ferra.

Hello everyone!

I was invited to host an event this winter (I suppose people thought I'd be more likely to participate in the event if I had something to do that would keep my mind off of how cold it is outside!) and I thought of a sleigh that was brought over on one of the last ships. The captain of the ship wanted to get rid of it and well... let's just say I felt sorry for the man and now I'm an owner of a sleigh I have no idea what to do with...

Could you help me decide how to decorate my sleigh?

I'll be in this thread often, though I'll also be around Town Hall to keep warm. I hope to see you! Happy Holidays!

Nalin Sun
NPC

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 AM

For full-size, click here or on the picture.
Please note that this is a transparent .PNG file. If you're having problems working with it, try print-screen on the image in your browser and pasting it into your art program instead!

Entry Categories
You may enter for any of these three categories, as often as you like.

1) Traditional Holiday Sleigh
When you think of the winter holidays, what comes to mind? Santa? Holly and evergreen? Reindeer? Entries for this category should include traditional holiday imagery.

2) A Sleigh for Nalin
What sort of sleigh do you think I might use myself? Do you imagine I'd want intricate carvings of plants? Or to paint the sleigh in the colors of my favorite work clothes? Entries for this category should be sure to fill out the description part of their entry form to tell me why you think I'd like the sleigh!

3) Fantastic Sleigh
This category gives you free reign for your creative side! Should it be made entirely out of gold and pulled by weiner dogs? Does the sleigh need a rocket pack? Feel free to be completely outlandish!

Submission Form
All entries for this contest must use this form! Your entry is not considered valid unless it's used! Please fill out a new entry form for each entry you make. (If you submit three entries in the same post, they must each fill out the form separately!)

[size="5"][b][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][u]I HAVE AN ENTRY![/u][/COLOR][/b][/size]
[b]Username[/b]:
[b]Entry URL[/b]:
[b]Category Entered[/b]:
[b]Description/Notes[/b]:

Example:
I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Nalin Sun
Entry URL: menewsha.com/images/sleighentry01.gif
Category Entered: Traditional Holiday Sleigh
Description/Notes: A traditional red sleigh with gold trim and a bit of evergreen. I used photographs from stock photography artist Mr. Smith (URL) for the reindeer and evergreen because I wanted to experiment with mixed media for this challenge. Everything else was colored by me in my image editing program.

Nalin Sun
NPC

Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 AM

Prizes
Each category will have a Grand Prize winner, a first prize, second prize, and third prize winner. (Which means a dozen chances to win!) I also reserve the right to add Honorable Mentions, which will have prizes attached as well!

Grand Prize Winners Win:
+ 2,500 gold :gold:
+ Winner's choice of Tapi Hibiscus Bloom or Eggplant Hibiscus Bloom
+ A December 2009 set (Tapio Defender & Blood Lotus )

First Prize Winners Win:
+ 2,500 gold :gold:

Second Prize Winners Win:
+ 1,500 gold :gold:

Third Prize Winners Win:
+ 750 gold :gold:

Rules and Things to Keep in Mind
- Entries are due before the event forum closes on January 1, 2010. I suggest you get them in straight away!
- Winners will be posted in Community Discussion within two weeks of the event ending!
- You may enter each category as many times as you wish to.
- Only entries with properly filled out entry forms will be eligible for prizes.
- Any form of media is accepted, as long as the result is a sleigh placed in the appropriate category.
- If you use photographs or the artwork of others, please credit the artists involved in the entry form. If you don't know who made the artwork or photograph, you cannot use it.
- Please do not use your mule to enter. There is no reason not to use your main account. :)
- It is possible to win in more than one category.

If you have any questions, please ask them in the thread and in a large font write, "I HAVE A QUESTION." so I don't miss it! I expect the thread might be a little busy, so please have patience if I accidentally miss your question! Just post the question again, or PM the question to me and I'll answer you just as soon as I can!

Last edited by Nalin Sun; 12-22-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Nalin Sun
NPC

Old 12-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Traditional Sleigh Entries

Quote:
I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Sidhe
Entry URL: This.
Description/Notes: With peanut-brittle seats, and dark chocolate base paint accented with little festive lights, this sleigh is just right for little Pooty Claus! Although Pooty Claus is small in size, his heart is very big, around the the time of the winter solstice, this poo delivers a wide array of presents to good boy and girl poos everywhere!

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
kandii_k:
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/e...4e356c745a.png:
Traditional Holiday Sleigh:
I decided to go with my favorite parts of the holiday and put it together. Such as snow, candy, decorating the xmas tree and so on. I obviously used paint from my laptop.:

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Lilith W
Entry URL: here
Description/Notes: Santa's sleigh with a nice decal of holly. His bag of presents are in the back but it looks like a present fell out on the floor.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: x-ollie
Entry URL: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...rts/sleigh.jpg
Category Entered: traditional
Description/Notes: this is a very elegant sleigh. made out of the finest materials and decorated using only the finest decorations nature could offer.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: x-cutie-x-pie-x
Entry URL: Here ^^
Category Entered: Traditional Sleigh
Description/Notes: Traditional Christmas colours, A big golden bow in the front, bells along the side, with a candycane finish. ^^

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Juneberry
Entry URL: Link <3
Category Entered: Traditional Holiday Sleigh.
Description/Notes: I used mostly the air-brush tool in my art program, TwistedBrush Open Studio, along with some other things. The general concept is a green and red theme with a bit of white (such as the snowman on front and my slight attempt at a special type of grass I see on holiday cards many times). I also used a lot of snowflakes. It's more of a winter one, but with simple colors of the holidays you'd commonly think of <3

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Chikuma
Entry URL: Link
Description/Notes: Snowflakes on side of sleigh were free graphics from Vector Graphics from Chris Spooner then altered in Photoshop by me. Here is traditional winter sleigh for Saint Nicholas to ride around in. Complete with snowfall and a touch of the Northern Lights ;) All done in Photoshop.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: aneru
Entry URL: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...7/sleigh11.png
Category Entered: Traditional
Description/Notes: Just your basic candy-apply red sleigh, on wrought-iron runners...with a holly wreath and jingle bells tied to the front with a nice red ribbon! A nice, fitted, black leather seat makes the inside comfy. Edit: Done mostly in MT paint, by mouse...the wreath was a brush in photoshop.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Agent HEY-LEE
Entry URL: http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...art_/entry.png
Category Entered: Traditional
Description/Notes: Santa's sleigh has three little golden bells and his name on the front, a wreath and "Merry Christmas" on the side, and golden tinsel hanging off the back to blow in the wind when he flies. There are also two holders inside for the jolly man; one for his beloved milk and another for his cookies. Not to even mention the green mat on the floorboard with his famous, "Ho, ho, ho!" When Christmas comes around next year all he'll have to do is throw his bag in the back and he'll be all set.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Bonnie
Entry URL:Classic ride in style
Description/Notes: I just made a plush crimson sleigh with frosted interior.
A comfortable ride of luxury, fit for Santa himself.
I love the old sleighs covered in red fabric,
minimally decorated in holly, and adorned with plenty of gold.

Resources Used:
Holly - by Ba1969

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username:ivvy
Entry URL:link
Category Entered:traditional sleigh
Description/Notes:I went for a green feel. I love holly and well when I think of the holidays I think of holly garland and snow. :)

The background is one that came on my computer. >.< But it looked nice.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: the_paper_crane
Entry URL:[x]
Category Entered: Traditional Slay
Description/Notes: A holiday sleigh complete with boughs of holly and gold ribbon.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Ferra
Entry URL: Entry
Category Entered: Traditional Holiday Sleigh (Snowy nights <3 Not quite "fantastic" enough for the fantastic category.)
Description/Notes: I used the following stock images to make my sleigh:
stock.xchng - abstract sky texture (stock photo by iammi-z)
stock.xchng - Night sky (stock photo by patkisha)
stock.xchng - Frozen bubbles (stock photo by rolve)
stock.xchng - Blue Snow Background (stock photo by Lockheed)
stock.xchng - Canvas 3 (stock illustration by ba1969)
stock.xchng - abstract blue tiles texture (stock photo by Ayla87)
stock.xchng - Christmas stars (stock illustration by rknds)

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Nivvy
Entry URL: Click click
Category Entered: Traditional sleigh
Description/Notes: When I think of the Christmas holidays I think of holly, Christmas lights, gift-giving, candycanes, elves, reindeer and bells. No references used, digital media = Illustrator CS3.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Entry URL: [x]
Description/Notes: I think that Santa would look sophisticated and surreal in a sleigh modeled after a ship. This particular sleigh features a reindeer, the spirit of the holiday in a figurehead.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: CK
Entry URL: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...sts/sleigh.jpg
Description/Notes: Used some papers I found on free stock textures sites or purchased myself while in Japan. I'm almost certain the "snowflake" brush I used was downloaded from inobscuro.com.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: HamatoKameko
Entry URL: Rudolph the Self-Guiding Reinsleigh
Description/Notes: No more rounding up the eight tiny reindeer and struggling to get them into their tack--This year, Santa's Sleigh merged with Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to form a self-guiding, self-flying Reinsleigh!

Nalin Sun
NPC

Old 12-22-2009, 08:07 AM

A Sleigh for Nalin Entries

Quote:
I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: SouLSuRv1vER
Entry URL: http://i48.tinypic.com/og9j85.jpg
Category Entered: A Sleigh for Nalin
Description/Notes: I made it special just like your beautifully made giveaway flowers :)

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: oHsoDemandinG
Entry URL: Yay!
Description/Notes: Perfect nature lover sleigh complete with hand-pressed leaves on the seat and a variety of textured flowers as decoration. Name engraving free of charge.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Description/Notes: A sleigh with beautiful flowers painted on a sky blue background. The seat is personlized and a lovely green. A wreath rests in the back.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: X--AznCo0ki3
Entry URL: The Bee Petal Sleigh >______<
Category Entered: A sleigh for Nalin
Description/Notes: A sleigh with bees and flowers and all other things nice and good (=

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: *Hime*
Entry URL: http://i46.tinypic.com/r9pnht.jpg
Description/Notes: Special deliveries from Nalin, coming up! c:

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: fuyumi_saito
Entry URL:Sled
Category Entered:A Sleigh for Nalin
Description/Notes: A magical sled with flowers that never die. Many exotic flowers decorate this sled, some could say that some of the flowers were brought from across the sea.

Note: Everything was done on photoshop. no images were directly used in the creation of this sled, other than the sled outline itself.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Fauxreal
Entry URL:http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i.../Mene/slay.png
Category Entered:A Sleigh for Nalin
Description/Notes: It's the perfect garden tool! Hitch up a mule and get going! There are hooks for garden tools. There is a perfect spot in the back to collect flowers, which I have drawn in. There is a garden hose spray in the back for water as well as a fertilizer spray.

It's a lovely green garden color and floor mat is perfect for cleaning off dirty shoes and gardeners boots!

I hope you enjoy! ((Done in MSPaint))

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Nivvy
Entry URL: Nalins Sleigh
Description/Notes: Ladybirds pull the sleigh at their own will, as they love helping Nalin spread flowery goodness. Bumblebees are attracted to the flowers carried in the sleigh, and tag along often - to be dropped off at various flowers along Nalin's journey; to assist in spreading flowery goodness, by pollinating their socks off! Where ever this sleigh goes, a path of flowers surely will grow ^^.

No references used. Digital media - Illustrator CS3.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username:Ivvy
Entry URL: link
Category Entered:Sleigh for Nalin
Description/Notes:My sleigh for Nalin comes in a candy red high gloss finish. With plush over stuffed royal blue seat pillows. It has a floral flourish of yellow to golden fully bloomed flowers hand painted on the exterior of the sleigh. I choose these colors to complement Nalin's very own work cloths we see him in everyday. So he will be sure to make a statement in his coordinated ride! It is simple yet elegant and is sure to turn heads any day!

Art credit for background:
Winter Background 2 by *BlackStock on deviantART
BlackStock on deviantART

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: nvs
Entry URL: Entry
Description/Notes: This is Nalin's super comfy sleigh for gardening!
The seat is covered with a thick layer of soft moss and the floor is made of grass, which is very relaxing when Nalin is barefoot.
The rest of the inside is made of wood.
The outside is covered with longer grass that can catch some of the seeds that occasionally do not fall where they are supposed. This is why there are some flowers.

The seeds at the back usually fall by themselves on the ground, but little birds make sure everything happens smoothly. They don't mind if some seeds fall on the grass though, because they like the pretty flowers.

Behind the sleigh, not seen on the picture, is a watering can to help the little seeds.

Of course the sleigh is eco-friendly, as it is carried by clouds. Not only do these clouds keep the moss and grass moist, they also make sure the water supply never runs out.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Wendy Darling
Entry URL: http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9113/nalinentry.png
Description/Notes: Since Nalin is a connoisseur of flowers, trees, and well . . . practically every plant known to man, I'm sure he'd know about the traditional holly plant. Even though it's technically considered "traditional" for this time, the holly garland around the sleigh is accented by flowers of Nalin's own creation and hence why I'm entering it in Nalin's personalized sleigh category. The hibiscus blooms are more or less a hybrid of the Tapi and Eggplant colors since they take on more of a fuschia / magenta hue. Complete with matching color plush seatback on the overall cherry wood sleigh. :) Enjoy!

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: az_stars
Entry URL: Pic
Description/Notes: I made this design with the theme of "spring" in mind. It's a sleigh that brings flowers to the winter field as spring approaches. So the two contrasting symbols, snowflakes and flower, are present in one ^_^

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Description/Notes: Nalin's marvelous sleigh covered in delicate yellow flowers and peach ribbon.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Chikuma
Entry URL: Link
Category Entered: Nalin
Description/Notes: A gold and glass sleigh for Nalin to fill with beautiful flowers. ^-^
Resources-Sleigh side pattern
Flowers

Nalin Sun
NPC

Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 AM

Fantastic Sleigh Entries

Quote:
I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Mingnon
Entry URL: Here
Category Entered: Fantastic Sleigh
Description/Notes: This wonderful sleigh is painted in pure crimson, along with decorations of a lighter red shade. The seating is of brown, but still quite comfortable, leather cushions. Lastly, the sleigh itself is driven by the dutiful Tingy the Holiday Wolpertinger.
(Handrawn, stamped, and overall designed in Photoshop Elements 6)

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Bartuc
Entry URL: Hellz Yeah!
Description/Notes: Best. Sleigh. Ever.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username:Ravinessa24
Entry URL:The night before Christmas
Description/Notes: As The elves were scurrying to get the reindeer together, it had begun to snow.
The reindeer glowing in a golden hue on this special night, just looked into the evening sky as the silver moon was ominous, and so illuminating that they could see for miles.
They loved it when the night before Christmas wwas special like this.

Quickly the elves grabbed santa's magical toy sack, and set it next to the sleigh.
The sack is magical because it makes toys out of the letters sent to santa from you, if you were naughty though, the sack knows, and it gives you a lump of coal.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Description/Notes: A sleigh with a checker theme using customary Christmas colors. Checkered wrapped presents sit in the floor. Comes with a lovely black leather seat.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: shadowfoot
Entry URL:http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/shadowfoot
Category Entered:Fantastic
Description/Notes:This is Santa's other sleigh...

I HAS AN ENTRY!
Username: Fading Existence
Entry URL: Ho, ho, ho.
Category Entered: Fantastic
Description/Notes: Because skeletons are cool and the Underworld needs a Santa too. ;D

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Early Bird Special
Entry URL: http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...sleighcopy.jpg
Description/Notes:

New Years' Sled!

Nalin rides his sled out of the old year and into the new year, outfitted with a steampunk clock.

Photos:

http://common.csnstores.com/common/p...T/UT1457_l.jpg
(clock)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...icture_big.jpg
(stars)

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/..._470x339,0.jpg
(clouds)

http://whoyoucallingaskeptic.files.w.../full-moon.jpg
(moon)

Thank you!

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Roachi
Entry URL:
http://i49.tinypic.com/21o4vo9.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/n6an0j.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/fmju40.jpg
Description/Notes:
Sleigh is made out of black cardboard, the little seat inside is made out of tissues. The sleighs sled things are candy canes, they also have little dimante button things on them to make it look spiffeh & sparkly. And ofcourse we can't forget that Nalin loves flowers, so there is a little fauna added in there :).
The reindeer's head is made out of an old headband of mine, that got sacrificed lol. The body is a toilet roll wrapped in xmas paper, the tail is just some fluff i found lying around, the legs are tooth picks with wine gums at the end. The reins are dental floss lol. The white stuff thats representing snow, is rice! xP
This was quite fun to make! My mum thought it was neat LOL. She must be thinking why is a grown woman making a sleigh out of random things ? LOL
Oh also all credit goes to moi. I made it out of my own materials and took the pictures :)

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: JapaneseCherryBlossom
Entry URL:http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-...ock%20sled.jpg
Description/Notes: No peacocks were injured while making this sled :D

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Kai La Morte
Entry URL: http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...mpmysleigh.png
Description/Notes: Notice how there arent that many people with an artistic sense of style? Let alone ones that love the gothic/punk persona of others, so, this is Kai's fantastical entry, one of artistic proportions.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: sjacklene
Entry URL: Clicky! :]
Description/Notes: Everything on it is made from a texture. :) Unique, huh?

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username:fuyumi_saito
Entry URL: fantastic sled pulled by the power of love <3
Category Entered:Fantastic Sleigh
Description/Notes:A sled that is charged by the power of love <33 overall randomness. Really it went from being a sled that I would want, to a power of love sled.

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username:ivvy
Entry URL:link
Category Entered:fantastic sleigh
Description/Notes:A rainbow fantasy to light up any situation. You will be looking for a pot of gold or some cany goodness when you see this ride go by!

Art credit for background:

BlackStock on deviantART

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Description/Notes: I am in love with the 18th century rococo period. Everything was so ornate like a work of art; even furniture.

Nalin Sun
NPC

Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 AM

An extra post, just in case I need it!

You're welcome to post now!

Esmereina
  • Challenge Esmereina in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 AM

Oh Nalin... I do hope its ok if I post here... :) I'd really like to help you out so I am going to think up of a good entry for you. :)

It's a pleasure to see you again! *blushes slightly*

Roachi

Penpal
  • Challenge Roachi in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 06:30 AM

Nalin!! *snuggles*
I am so gonna enter this. I like being creative *nods*

sadrain
  • Challenge sadrain in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 AM

Esmereina, Roachi, Nalin... Lot of my favorite people are already here. *shot*

Uhm. <3 I think this is awesome idea. ^^

Chunsa-chan
  • Challenge Chunsa-chan in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 06:34 AM

Nalin, you're Banner picture is super cute. Also, I can hug you to keep you warm if you'd like! <3

Roachi

Penpal

Old 12-24-2009, 06:35 AM

Hey it's chunsy and rainy! *huggles*
Heyy chunsy should we set up our thread now?

sadrain

Old 12-24-2009, 06:37 AM

O: Roachi and Chunsa-chan is gonna make a thread? O:

Everyoen so busy with making threads and me with posting in them that I still haven't seen event store. >:

Roachi

Penpal

Old 12-24-2009, 06:38 AM

Yups for ARK. I haven't even set up the stuff i need yet xD. Gotta download my graphic software.

sadrain

Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 AM

o: I totally will be there, thats for sure.

I am debating of creating my own upcoming birthday hangout or not. x33

Chunsa-chan
  • Challenge Chunsa-chan in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 AM

Okay! 8D
Ping me when it's my tuuuurn <3<3

Xurxo
Send a message via AIM to Xurxo Send a message via MSN to Xurxo
  • Challenge Xurxo in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 06:44 AM

Ack! Cool contest. :3

Cyndel
Send a message via AIM to Cyndel Send a message via MSN to Cyndel Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndel
  • Challenge Cyndel in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 06:51 AM

o.o; Hahaha oh my... This could be interesting.
You'd better not put a rocket pack on that sleigh, Nalin, you may hurt yourself (Or someone else...namely me). >.>;

Hmm...I'll see what I can come up with. Even though I can't draw sleighs for beans. lol.

Cora

Pixel Pixie
  • Challenge Cora in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 06:52 AM

@Rain-if you created a hangout thread I would hang out there.

@nalin- I think I just may enter this xP

sadrain

Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 AM

*snuggles Cora* That would be awesome. x3

I think I really will need a place to hide awya from all this insanity, soon.

But I will see how some plans with Sellie goes, so until she comes on later today, I am not making anything.

bl4cksh4dow
  • Challenge bl4cksh4dow in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 07:17 AM

Hmm... maybe I'll try my luck in entering in the sleigh challenge ^^

We'll see~ :)

JellybeanInc
  • Challenge JellybeanInc in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 07:56 AM

Oh this is such a lovely contest Nalin! I'll be sure to enter it at least once.

Vickyll3
Penpal

Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 AM

This seem like it would be super fun to won

*Hime*
  • Challenge *Hime* in the Arcade

Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM

Oh, look! Nalin has his own thread!
+1000 cool points!

Mingnon
Send a message via AIM to Mingnon Send a message via MSN to Mingnon Send a message via Yahoo to Mingnon

Old 12-24-2009, 08:44 AM

I HAVE AN ENTRY!
Username: Mingnon
Entry URL: Here
Description/Notes: This wonderful sleigh is painted in pure crimson, along with decorations of a lighter red shade. The seating is of brown, but still quite comfortable, leather cushions. Lastly, the sleigh itself is driven by the dutiful Tingy the Holiday Wolpertinger.
(Handrawn, stamped, and overall designed in Photoshop Elements 6)