HamatoKameko
Monster

Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisikaFox View Post
Hmmm, I don't seem to be able to see these features. O.o
Same. Is it not enabled for everyone yet or something?

Sensible Cricket
Proud RolePlay Addict

Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 AM

Where's the dislike button?

Facebook has so many flaws and security holes, privacy has gone -bust-, I use it only to contact people I really, really care about that for some reason have no other way to contact them without paying the ungodly high international phone rates it takes to call across the Atlantic.

Also, this site is for your users as much as it is for you. Where was the asking -us- about it before just enacting it? Most other major changes have had a "hey guys, we're thinking of ___" sort of post, but this just -happened- one day.

Furthermore, adding gold to it is just....UGH! NO! People are going to exploit this for free gold. Sure, you've capped it really low, but nonetheless, it's "Click here for 25g", not "like". One more step towards the click-for-gold that Gaia is.

Sure, I can opt out, but that's losing out on 100g a day, and when you've got a quest like mine, every single little gold piece matters a =lot=. For all the items under 100g on my list, that's one item a day off my quest that I'm losing by not participating in this little FB thing.

Once again, this is not very well thought out.

Spring`Tyme Fresh
(。⌒∇⌒)&...
Penpal

Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 PM

The logic seems simple, to me. For those that use facebook - which isn't as bad as everyone is saying; there are ways to get maximum security and I have those - and wish to express their liking for Mene publicly to their friends, then a small, almost tiny (in my opinion) reward doesn't seem like a bad thing when it can entice new users that could donate and fuel Mene with new oppurtunties. :yes:

This can hardly be exploited with only 100 gold available a day. That's only 700 gold a week. There's been much worse handouts of gold in the past that did affect the economy, but this hardly seems likely in this case.

I think it's a great idea. Facebook is everywhere on the internet. Everybody knows it and these 'likes' and 'groups' pages can actually be very influential in good ways! :)

@Sensible Cricket: I just noticed that you said this happened within a day; there was a thread about this during the event.

Sensible Cricket
Proud RolePlay Addict

Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Again, it was simply done with no warning, he only posted that when people had been mentioning having noticed it. It was put on without even a cursory "Hey we're thinking of connecting with facebook what do you guys think?"

I've noticed you have a tendency to pop up right after I've said something and come to play devil's advocate to whatever I've said. I wonder what I've done to attract your notice! :S

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 06-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Sensible Cricket- Paranoid much? :/ Springy hops around all over the Main forums, to think she's targeting you is ridiculous. Former mods have a habit of keeping up on the site and checking through feedback/info desk threads. It's just what we do.

I too think this will be great for the site. I have my facebook set up to the point where I have to add someone or else I'm essentially invisible. Facebook, much like mene is actually free to use. Putting ads on facebook costs money, money mene can save if we the members spread the word of the site through our networking. Free advertising is win, and for advertising for mene, you get gold in return. It's not "something for nothing" If one person can bring in another person, awesome. More people is good, if that person decides to donate $5 for the months CI's even better, not only did you not have to pay to use the site, but you've introduced a friend to Menewsha, and they have helped to contribute. See where I'm going with this?

Besides, not EVERYTHING is done with warning to the community before it is enacted. The staff can't ask your/the communities approval for every little thing, or nothing would ever get done. When there is the ability to do something that will only benefit the site, they are going to take that route. As stated previously, you have the ability to opt out if you don't like it, they gave you the option to ignore the existance of a facebook connection. You're welcome to do that. 100 gold is nothing you can't earn by posting 5 annoyed/ranty posts in this and other threads. ;D

Ode
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the opt-out option. The games were getting kind of convoluted with messages and widget things...

hope the fb fans really like this option!

Sensible Cricket
Proud RolePlay Addict

Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Melody, out of all the people speaking in the negative about this new development, she called me out specifically, and this is the second time that she's done that. It's just a little bit frustrating that instead of contributing to the discussion it becomes an argument between two people.

I post ranty posts, yes, and I RP, too. I RP quite a lot, actually. And that said, I'm less than 1% in to my quest no matter how hard I work. 100g extra a day would make a =big= dent in my questing, and it certainly is going to go a long way for other people as well.

In addition to joining up Mene to Facebook's security holes, as many people have said, not just me....this is one more step towards Gaia's click-for-gold. What's next, a cash shop? Oh wait...

:(

Siri
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via AIM to Siri

Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Just pretend that the extra 100g per day isn't there. It didn't prevent you from questing before it was put into place, so it shouldn't bother you now. :)

Sensible Cricket
Proud RolePlay Addict

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM

I'm using that as an illustration--even if it's only a small amount, it's still click-for-gold, and that's not good.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Gaias click for gold is just that, clicking for gold. With mene the clicking is helping the site. There's a big difference if you look at it from the staffs point of view. (: They're rewarding those members that are getting the word of Menewsha out there to their friends and family. I don't see it as click for gold at all, because the site has the possibility of gaining from the clicking. Sort of like giving items to members that contribute to the site, or the extra item that is sometimes given to people that donate $10 in a month to the site instead of just the $5. The more you help the site the more you are rewarded. There's gotta be some incentive or people just won't use things!

And is there really a problem with the cash shop? Do you have any idea how hard the staff is working behind the scenes and hashing things out to get that to be something that won't step on toes? The cash shop will only help the site with more development. The only way the cash shop will affect you negatively is if you really want one of the items put in there, and aren't able to buy them with cash and so your quest to obtain whatever you are currently questing for gets extended for said item that you really want from the cash shop.

I don't RP. I make ranty posts. >.> or numerous small posts. I haven't played games for a while because it takes up a lot of time, I probably won't be using the facebook thing much since it doesn't show up for me on threads, that's 600 gold a day I could be getting that I'm not. And yet, I'm still pro-facebook.
If you want the facebook gold, create a fake account. *shrugs*

[edit] lol! How cute! So I just liked the page and my profile picture showed up in the post. I like that only my first name shows on here though. >.>

Last edited by Melody; 06-08-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Arikana
do you believe?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM

I'd gladly help test things out if it weren't for the fact that I rarely use Facebook anymore. :sweat:

But yay for Mene on Facebook! : )

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 AM

For those of you who aren't getting the Facebook things to show - do you use script-blocking add-ons like NoScript? I do, and had to allow facebook.net to get it to show.

Rainbows
Transcendental
Send a message via AIM to Rainbows

Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 AM

I just don't like facebook being on mene, period. D> I've already disabled facebook 'integration' (that word scares me, because it has me imagining mene being half-facebook in the near future, or some freaky mutant baby that mene and fb had), but still... I know it's supposed to be helpful and fun and everything, but ugh. Social networking sites in general. :talk2hand:
I know avatar sites are social like that, but they're not sites like 'that'. If you know what I mean. ._.

Sensible Cricket;
I think taking that quote from juru that happened to have the phrase 'cash shop' in it was pretty rude. She wasn't taking about a 'cash shop' as in hundreds of items up for grabs, if you'd read the thread more carefully.. They'd be items (and it looks like one at a time and not so often) specifically FOR something. We'd know where our money was going. Nifty clarification by Insomniac

Last edited by Rainbows; 06-09-2010 at 03:21 AM..

amyrex2
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 AM

hits the like button but thinks this is just gonna make her friends hide her on face book.

Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Renee the Rabid Squirrel
Send a message via AIM to Renee the Rabid Squirrel Send a message via Yahoo to Renee the Rabid Squirrel

Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Ooh, mene on facebook! I'll have to add mene as something I like when I'm not at work, because work blocks le book of faces. ><;

Chryssta
Forgotten Member of society

Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Oh my god, we can turn it off if we don't want to see it?? Really?? Not even Gaia does that if we don't want to see something... Thanks guys! Y'all are doing things so nicely over here! *luffles Mene*

Kultura
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via MSN to Kultura

Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM

:lol: It's amazing that when something new is introduced, and it's OPTIONAL, even to a point where you don't even have to look at it or notice it in any way, people still complain D:

I don't see any problem with anything that helps the site grow. Be that paying for items with cash or having a facebook page.

Tre Le Coco

Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 PM

My god, I can't believe how many people and whining about such a tiny feature...don't use it if you don't like it and don't throw the 'every piece of gold counts' crap my way :roll:

sad_girlformat
Undercover Cupcakes

Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM

This widget is awesome!

I press the first
"like" I saw!! XD

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 PM

I like it! Thanks guys! :)

Hopefully my RL friends don't figure out my name here (that is if they even decide to sign up, we'll see!). Even if they do though, I haven't said anything that I wouldn't to someone in person though, if they asked. :3

BlueEyedWallflower
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM

If I was not on a complete hiatus from Facebook, I would check this out. But I am, so I won't be. I was wondering when this would happen though.

Vickicat
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Vickicat Send a message via MSN to Vickicat Send a message via Yahoo to Vickicat

Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 AM

I just want to say I love this feature, thanks for putting it. I use Facebook a lot and I'm happy to see that more and more sites I go on are implementing Facebook features. I like that we get gold for this too.

Silenia
Goddess of Silly Creepiness, Que...

Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Just a small suggestion... Maybe the option to show or not show facebook social widgets would be better fitting under the "edit options" than "edit your details" part of the account tab? Most enabling/disabling options are there, after all.

Not that I have a problem with it being where it is right now.

NoeleneRose2
RPing is awesome!
Send a message via MSN to NoeleneRose2 Send a message via Yahoo to NoeleneRose2

Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 PM

yay!!!!

Chikuma
(・・^...

Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 AM

Just my personal opinion but I think Mene could do without FaceBook.