PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 12-20-2022, 02:57 PM

I'm super late to the party, but this would be a lovely New Year's Challenge. I don't want to call it a resolution, because that's set for trying to quit smoking cigarettes. I've been meaning to read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King fully so that'd be a good start. I've started the first book a few times but never finished; I do own all the books in the series, though. I don't think I'll make a list of books to read; I tend to just grab what I feel like reading. I guarantee most will be King as he is one of my two favorite authors.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-20-2022, 06:42 PM

It's been forever since I saw this thread!
Maybe I should give the challenge a try again

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-20-2022, 07:30 PM

Do it!!!

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-20-2022, 07:34 PM

I'll just bookmark this page so I can find my post again.

50 Book Challenge 2023

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-20-2022, 07:41 PM

Yay!!! I suppose I should start my 2023 thread as well, though I guess I still have over a week to do it.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-20-2022, 09:02 PM

It's a bit early, true. But it's done now.
Kind of looking forward to it actually

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 12-20-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
Ooh, I'll have to see if I catch a copy of Crawdads circling around somewhere! There are a couple of those little free libraries around here so maybe one will appear at some point.

I honestly don't even remember what It Ends With Us is about, just that I added it to my list, haha! I'm glad to know you thought it was good though!

I felt the same about The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.

Sorry, I haven't heard of that one!
I love those free little libraries!! We have a few of those in my town too, little red boxes outside. I actually just found my library card the other day so I used that to borrow "Before We Were Yours" which I highly recommend if you like fiction with true facts in it. Not sure if you heard of the Tennessee Children's Home Society scandal - a lady by the name of Georgia Tann was stealing poor children and selling them (or rather "adopting") to rich families. The children were through horrible living conditions, on top of being stolen from their families. So the book follows a fictional family, but their scenario is pulled from all the stories that have been reported since the organization was forced to close in 1950. Super super heart wrenching story, but I had trouble putting it down.

It Ends with Us is actually written to bring light to abusive relationships, but it's a story of a woman who moves to Chicago to start her life and meets a sexy new man, but also runs into an old flame. It's passionate but also super sad, and when you think of the fact that situations like this exist every day, it's even more sad.

I'm hoping to finish The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes this week and then I may start The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith, I don't even know what it's about yet but it was lent to me so I feel it's required reading haha.

PWEEP: I've been told to read The Dark Tower series! I'm not big on "scary" genre books, but I've been told that, that series isn't scary. You'll have to let me know how you enjoy it!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-20-2022, 11:54 PM

When I lived in Brooklyn I loved to walk this route around my neighborhood that would hit a bunch of the little free libraries in my area. I really miss doing that, I found some really great books that way! There are some libraries in my area but they're further afield so I have to drive to them and it seems like the people who use them don't really have the same tastes as me so it can be hard to find good books. I do have a friend who loves to get books from thrift stores though and she always picks stuff up for me so that's always a fun little surprise!

Oh wow, both of those descriptions do sound like pretty interesting reads, albeit difficult subjects! I'm trying to finish up that awful French book, another French book called "La petite fille de monsieur Linh" which is much better, and the second "Me Before You" book before the end of the year. We'll see if I can make that goal! I guess it also depends on whether I end up going home for Christmas. My plans keep getting waylaid by various crises so we'll see.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 12-21-2022, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWEEP View Post
I'm super late to the party, but this would be a lovely New Year's Challenge. I don't want to call it a resolution, because that's set for trying to quit smoking cigarettes. I've been meaning to read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King fully so that'd be a good start. I've started the first book a few times but never finished; I do own all the books in the series, though. I don't think I'll make a list of books to read; I tend to just grab what I feel like reading. I guarantee most will be King as he is one of my two favorite authors.
Have you read Fairy Tale by him yet?

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 12-21-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
When I lived in Brooklyn I loved to walk this route around my neighborhood that would hit a bunch of the little free libraries in my area. I really miss doing that, I found some really great books that way! There are some libraries in my area but they're further afield so I have to drive to them and it seems like the people who use them don't really have the same tastes as me so it can be hard to find good books. I do have a friend who loves to get books from thrift stores though and she always picks stuff up for me so that's always a fun little surprise!

Oh wow, both of those descriptions do sound like pretty interesting reads, albeit difficult subjects! I'm trying to finish up that awful French book, another French book called "La petite fille de monsieur Linh" which is much better, and the second "Me Before You" book before the end of the year. We'll see if I can make that goal! I guess it also depends on whether I end up going home for Christmas. My plans keep getting waylaid by various crises so we'll see.
That's fair, I also loved the use book stores, so cheap and so much variety! Book surprises are the best, your friend is the best haha!

Have you ever read "L'Avare?" it's a french comedy play, it's pretty funny but also ridiculous, about a man who is insanely cheap. I read it years and years ago lol. Me Before You was really really good, but the second book Me After You was terrible. Have you seen the movie Me Before You? The book is better but the movie does a really good job!!

I just added to my list "It Starts With Us" by Colleen Hoover, which is the second book after It Ends With Us. I'll let you know if it's work adding to the list haha! I'm officially off work at noon tomorrow and I don't go back until Jan 3rd so I'll have lots of time to start on some new books.

Are you hoping to go home for Christmas, or kind of "meh" about it?!

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 12-21-2022, 06:24 PM

How have I never been in here? Love reading. Albeit I don’t get up to 50 in a year lol

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 12-21-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suona View Post
How have I never been in here? Love reading. Albeit I don’t get up to 50 in a year lol
Suoooooooooona

HOW have you been?!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-21-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R a n d e h View Post
That's fair, I also loved the use book stores, so cheap and so much variety! Book surprises are the best, your friend is the best haha!

Have you ever read "L'Avare?" it's a french comedy play, it's pretty funny but also ridiculous, about a man who is insanely cheap. I read it years and years ago lol. Me Before You was really really good, but the second book Me After You was terrible. Have you seen the movie Me Before You? The book is better but the movie does a really good job!!

I just added to my list "It Starts With Us" by Colleen Hoover, which is the second book after It Ends With Us. I'll let you know if it's work adding to the list haha! I'm officially off work at noon tomorrow and I don't go back until Jan 3rd so I'll have lots of time to start on some new books.

Are you hoping to go home for Christmas, or kind of "meh" about it?!
Sadly I have not read any Moliere! I didn't mind Me After You to be honest. I'm starting the third book now. I've been listening to that series as an audiobook and the voice actress is pretty good! I've also seen the movie, twice at least. It makes me cry every time!

Ehhhh, it's complicated. I ended up being able to move my whole schedule this morning so I can fly out TOMORROW. It's insanity but there's a blizzard that's going to hit Western New York that I'm trying to beat. Not really relishing an extra few days with the family because things are honestly quite hectic there but I do want to see them so I guess I'm glad I was able to make it work.

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 12-21-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Sadly I have not read any Moliere! I didn't mind Me After You to be honest. I'm starting the third book now. I've been listening to that series as an audiobook and the voice actress is pretty good! I've also seen the movie, twice at least. It makes me cry every time!

Ehhhh, it's complicated. I ended up being able to move my whole schedule this morning so I can fly out TOMORROW. It's insanity but there's a blizzard that's going to hit Western New York that I'm trying to beat. Not really relishing an extra few days with the family because things are honestly quite hectic there but I do want to see them so I guess I'm glad I was able to make it work.
There is a third book?! I was so disappointed in the second book. She went from being the most wholesome character ever to sad and depressing. I forced myself to finish it. I'll have to see what the third one is about and see if it's any good lol I'm a sucker for punishment. The movie also makes me cry every time, it's perfectly done.

That sounds like many peoples description of spending the holidays with family, minus the snowstorm lol. I'm in Northern Ontario and we're also watching the incoming storm! It'll be nice to be with loved one though I'm sure! Travel safe and bring a book hahaha!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-21-2022, 09:43 PM

Yeah that second book was a bit mopey but not as bad as another book I read previously so I guess I didn't mind. Not really a spoiler but just in case...

SPOILERX

This book takes place in New York City, after she accepts the new job from the end of the last book.

Yeah, it's going to be a whole day affair. Flying up to New York City for a layover and then over to Western New York. I haven't been back to New York City since I moved so that should be interesting though I won't really be seeing the city itself. I'll have my work computer (if I can manage to get anything done), my switch, probably one physical book and then a couple on my phone through the library. Hopefully that'll be enough to keep me occupied for the 8+ hours of travel.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 12-22-2022, 03:49 AM

How is everybody doing and reading?

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 12-22-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Suoooooooooona

HOW have you been?!
Randy darling!

I feel like the last 3 and a half years have been so hectic. But I think everything’s been weird for everyone really. How about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
How is everybody doing and reading?
Currently reading Cruel Prince. It’s not as appealing as I was hoping for.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 12-22-2022, 02:23 PM

Su that's a bummer.

Kaderin Triste
Resident Tiger Expert

Old 12-22-2022, 04:46 PM

Ugh. Debating not reading a book I checked out at the library. It sounded good, but is a nonfiction of something I already know a decent amount about so I'm having a hard time actually getting into the book. Idk, maybe I'll try again next year.

Non-fic is always a struggle for me to get through. I should read it more though.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 12-22-2022, 06:07 PM

I've been reading a lot of manga lately. I wonder how many I read this year...

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-23-2022, 12:38 AM

I've been on a historical romance kick this past year, mostly Regency Era, with some highlander stuff thrown in on occasion. Mostly because it's relaxing, not too stressful.

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 12-23-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah that second book was a bit mopey but not as bad as another book I read previously so I guess I didn't mind. Not really a spoiler but just in case...

SPOILERX

This book takes place in New York City, after she accepts the new job from the end of the last book.

Yeah, it's going to be a whole day affair. Flying up to New York City for a layover and then over to Western New York. I haven't been back to New York City since I moved so that should be interesting though I won't really be seeing the city itself. I'll have my work computer (if I can manage to get anything done), my switch, probably one physical book and then a couple on my phone through the library. Hopefully that'll be enough to keep me occupied for the 8+ hours of travel.
Ha! So here is the funny thing, after work on Wednesday I decided to hit up the library and see if I can find the other books from Jojo Moyes Me Before You...well I found them and I've read them all HAHA! I completely forgot. I grabbed it and started reading what it was about and sure enough it all came back to me. So I remember loving Me Before you, despising Me After You and enjoying Still Me!

I picked up "Shadow and Bone" while at the library as a friend told me it's better than the series. Started that last night and started first day of holidays today so I'm hoping to finish it today. It's pretty good so far, but not much different than the show up until now.

Did you make it to your final destination?! I hope your trip there went well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suona View Post
Randy darling!

I feel like the last 3 and a half years have been so hectic. But I think everything’s been weird for everyone really. How about you?
They have been so hectic! So much has changed in my little world! We took my niece in 3 years ago actually, she's 10 now and while I never wanted children I have to say she's improved my life like crazy! But I'm so involved in so many things now...she turned out to love every sport under the sun so I'm always watching kids at the ice rink, the soccer field, the baseball diamond etc lol She's a cool cat.

Where has life taken you?!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-23-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Ha! So here is the funny thing, after work on Wednesday I decided to hit up the library and see if I can find the other books from Jojo Moyes Me Before You...well I found them and I've read them all HAHA! I completely forgot. I grabbed it and started reading what it was about and sure enough it all came back to me. So I remember loving Me Before you, despising Me After You and enjoying Still Me!

I picked up "Shadow and Bone" while at the library as a friend told me it's better than the series. Started that last night and started first day of holidays today so I'm hoping to finish it today. It's pretty good so far, but not much different than the show up until now.

Did you make it to your final destination?! I hope your trip there went well!!
Oh that's so funny! I'm reading Still Me now and it's going okay, definitely a different dynamic so far but I'm only like an hour into the audio book. It was nice to have this to "read" while I was on the plane. The ride was super bumpy and scary so it helped take my mind off of things at least a little bit. I made it here in once piece (obviously) but the blizzard is set to hit today/tomorrow so we'll see how things hold up. It's great reading weather but I doubt I'll really get any time to read...

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 12-23-2022, 09:28 PM

I wish I had the energy to read.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-23-2022, 09:29 PM

Maybe you can do an audiobook? When I'm sick and have to lay down I can't really watch TV so audiobooks can be a nice option.