• Join Us

Mercury Lamp
  • Challenge Mercury Lamp in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 05:22 PM

I have a dell laptop. Dell sucks balls. Their desktops are perfectly fine (the ones I've owned, and the one I am currently on is wonderful) but their laptop quality.. Holy crap. I'm going to try my best not to cuss in here, by the way. e__e;; I am just so ticked off. Before, the plastic lining around my screen broke (I handle my laptop with care, it's just poor craftsmanship) and a bunch of other stuff broke due to that - we sent it away to get fixed - came back nice. Then over the summer my hard drive crashed and other things broke all over again - this time we had them come here because there was no way in hell I was going to send my computer away for a month again. e__e;; They got me a new hard drive and fixed like only one thing wrong with it. I needed two new rubber stoppers on the bottom, they didn't do that. Other crap was broken, they didn't even bother to fix it. And yes, we did discuss all this with Dell and they said they would fix everything wrong with it, which they have failed to do. I still have little pieces broken, then I get up this morning and try to turn on my computer.. The fuuuu'ing power button won't work and is now pushed in a bit. I loosened the siding and tried to fix it, but failed. So ticked off. Especially because we're leaving for New York City tomorrow and I'll have no computer - except my mom's crappy slow Dell.

And it isn't just my computer. My mother's first Dell laptop is a piece of crap as well. It basically just died. They tried fixing it. Fail. Got new hard drive. Fail. They tried everything - fail.

My mother's current computer is slow as hell and her hard drive has crashed more than once and Dell doesn't seem to give a flying fuuu.

Also, all of our chargers like to die. And it's not just one faulty one or anything. Every new charger we get, they die. It's not us doing anything wrong. They just die.

Also, my best friend has a Dell and holy crap.. That thing is torn to pieces. The buttons on the mouse pad are broken. Her plastic lining around the screen came off. Her keys are crap. The hinges are broken and her screen doesn't stay up, plus is basically hangs off because the left side is broken.

Damn. I don't know. I'm just so ticked at Dell right now. They suck real hard.

TL;DR version -- My computer's broke AGAINx19842390489083443. Dell sucks.

EternalHearts
Send a message via AIM to EternalHearts Send a message via Yahoo to EternalHearts
  • Challenge EternalHearts in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 05:27 PM

That's so strange--I've had 2 Dell laptops and have had no problems with them at all. The only complaint I have is that my current one runs slow--but I know that I need to upgrade the RAM--I just can't afford it right now, and don't want to get rid of anything I have on here. Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with them.

Mageling

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Mageling
  • Challenge Mageling in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 PM

I run on a Toshiba, so I don't have that many issues... though my Internet likes to freeze on me.

Mercury Lamp
  • Challenge Mercury Lamp in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 05:40 PM

I also have Vista on my computer, which doesn't help at all.. e__e;; Vista is pure trouble.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
  • Challenge Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 PM

I have a Dell laptop and Vista and no problems really.. well besides the usual Windows problems. Haha. The battery is completely dead, however, and seeing as how I don't really use it like a laptop I haven't gotten a new battery for it. I heard the battery only lasts for about a year anyway; so I just save my money. The only thing that really bothers me is I plugged headphones into the jack and after I took the headphones out my speakers stopped working. I can't plug headphones into the jack and listen that way either. -sigh- But other than that, it's been a decent reliable computer.

katyasha
  • Challenge katyasha in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Mine was build from a friend of mine a year ago and I still sometimes get trouble getting on the net. Mine is wireless, and sometimes it is slow.

Mageling

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Mageling
  • Challenge Mageling in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 06:00 PM

God, I hate Vista. Apparently 7 is like XP, but better, so I hope it runs better than Vista right now.

EternalHearts
Send a message via AIM to EternalHearts Send a message via Yahoo to EternalHearts

Old 12-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Yeah,I hate Vista too. I'll probably pick up a copy of 7 over teh summer--take advantage of my student discount.

lady silverpanther
  • Challenge lady silverpanther in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 06:08 PM

yeah, my lap top runs vista and it is crazy :(

mooglebunny
Send a message via MSN to mooglebunny

Old 12-25-2009, 06:09 PM

I'll argue that a lot of companies don't feel like spending the time or energy to make a more efficient design for the adapters and the cords that attach to them. They are easy to break because you bend them when you are done and it rips the wires inside so they don't work anymore. My laptop's cord seems to actually be made correctly, where you can't really easily wear out the cords because the wire that plugs into your laptop runs parallel with the power cord so when you wrap or throw them in a bag them you won't bend them easily. I really dislike how many laptop makers will not do this because replacing those parts are extremely expensive!

Also, I have never had any luck with HP laptops myself nor have my friends. One of my friend's overheated and burned out on him, another had his screen break to the point where you couldn't move it or you'd lose the screen image, and I had one where the motherboard shorted out on me.

Also, if you can't get Vista to work for you, then you should probably move to Windows 7 or back to XP. Personally, I can get Vista to do anything and everything just fine for me, so I'm not really sure why people complain about it so much. It doesn't run slowly at all on my laptop.

EternalHearts

Old 12-25-2009, 06:36 PM

See, I don 't have any issues using it, but the Vista computers I use are all so much slower than XP computers.

mooglebunny

Old 12-25-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalHearts View Post

See, I don 't have any issues using it, but the Vista computers I use are all so much slower than XP computers.
My friend has a Sager gaming laptop with a slightly more powerful processor than my laptop does, and he has a way more powerful GPU than my laptop does with Windows XP... And mine still runs faster than his does. It turns on faster, it shuts off faster.... And he has the same amount of ram that I do (2 Gigs). I think it's a scientific mystery perhaps.

I really have no clue why I have so much luck with Vista... But I do. :o

Sev en Ester
  • Challenge Sev en Ester in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 06:42 PM

The only problems I've had with my Dell laptop are ones that really are my dad's fault (not mine :3)

He didn't know that in ALL computers you had have those memory card things in MATCHING PAIRS. He'd swapped all the cards in all the comps in the house so they were all dying..

I've had more issues with my desktop than the laptop. Must be bad luck for ye, I send my sincerest sympathy.

maidenroseheart
  • Challenge maidenroseheart in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 06:50 PM

I have an old mac powerbook...I was talking to some friends about possibly a new comp someday and they recommended Vista...but I was under the impression Vista sucked...reading your posts shows the different opinions there...

Sev en Ester
  • Challenge Sev en Ester in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 06:52 PM

vista sucked but the did a huge update. The only thing is, some companies are still working on compatible programs

mooglebunny

Old 12-25-2009, 06:55 PM

Well I get all the programs that I like to run under it extremely well... Even ones my operating system tells me in error reports that are not compatible with my OS. I still get them to run and it doesn't damage anything. Soooooo. I think I'm probably more of an exception to the herd, but mine works pretty well for what it is (I left Aero on and all). But it is also a more expensive Sony... So that might also be why it works pretty well. But really now, if you buy a brand new laptop, just go with Windows 7. Most people will be happier with it since they turned off Aero and cleaned up more code and whatnot. Some of the new features look sweet too.

Ebony Mist
Send a message via MSN to Ebony Mist
  • Challenge Ebony Mist in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Never, ever get a Fujitsu, either. I had a laptop and it was designed poorly... the fans didn't work and so it overheated constantly.

TECHNOlogic ANDROID
  • Challenge TECHNOlogic ANDROID in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 07:21 PM

PC= Piece of Crap.
Enough said.

I'm Technologic android and I'm a Mac. D:<

MissAndroid
  • Challenge MissAndroid in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 07:23 PM

I concur, Dell sucks! I have a studio 15 and it overheats and turns off without notice all the frickin time!!!!!! It was supposed to be so nice, I'm not buying dell again, but I have to keep this one for at least another year.:-x

luna ma iktori
  • Challenge luna ma iktori in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 PM

I'm no expert at laptops but maybe it has something to do within the walls when you plug in the chargers.... iDk :P Good luck on getting everything figured out though.

Wynna
  • Challenge Wynna in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 08:03 PM

I thought Dell's were pretty good. But I guess not, glad I don't have one.

Zarq
  • Challenge Zarq in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 08:08 PM

I had dell laptop and that thing run forever. I bought it used in 2003, and used it until just about 2 months ago. It actually still works, but it was so old. And the keyboard didn't work anymore, or the dvd rom, and the battery (both of them that I had bought) were dead. It was just old I think though, so rather than fix it -- I just bought a new toshiba last August I think. Which is .. not as good as my dell was. It was really cheap though, so I don't complain.

What I would never buy again is a dell desktop. Ugh, no way. Nothing but trouble with the ones I've ever worked with.

Caeluma
  • Challenge Caeluma in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 08:48 PM

i know how you feel i was sick all moring and spent most of the morning in the bathroom or asleep.

Son Zack
  • Challenge Son Zack in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Ugh! I totally know what you mean. My dell laptop will turn 4 years in March, and it's had several problems. The first thing that pissed me off is the crap screen. A few of the screws fell out a while back and so it's not held firmly, it swings back and forth in a sort of helpless manner. I got that fixed MYSELF, but now it's starting to do that again and I don't know why; all the screws are in their proper places. A few of the keys kiiiinda don't work from time to time, and the left Ctrl key fell off completely. This maaaay or may not have to do with the fact that I spilled a peach cup on it a couple of years ago.

I don't know, looking at it now, I don't really have a lot to complain about xD. I wish I could upgrade it, but Dell doesn't afford you that privilege. The power adapters are expensive as hell and you can ONLY buy them through Dell; I've been fortunate to have only replaced mine once. My battery is nearly useless now, but I guess that's standard.

stephstar101
  • Challenge stephstar101 in the Arcade

Old 12-25-2009, 09:19 PM

ARGHHH!! almost everything i download on my vista doesn't work and my other computer is old and doesn't have a lot of memory left! drives me nuts! oh well, at least the vista internet speed isn't bad :3