• Join Us

Alchemist of Anarchy
Send a message via AIM to Alchemist of Anarchy
  • Challenge Alchemist of Anarchy in the Arcade

Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 PM

I went and saw it in both 3D and regular and overall I was not impressed with this movie. I thought it was very dark and not well suited for kids, which is what the Christmas Carol is all about in my mind. What did you think about the movie?

MissAndroid
  • Challenge MissAndroid in the Arcade

Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 PM

I didn't see the new version, but I never thought of a christmas carol as a child's movie unless it was specifically done for them like the muppet version. The story is very dark.

Torrinne
  • Challenge Torrinne in the Arcade

Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM

I refuse to go see it. I'm just turned off Jim Carey films ever since his remake of the Grinch. While I agree that A Christmas Carol isn't really intended for children, there's a sort of solemnity about the story that even the Muppets are better at capturing than I can picture Jim Carey being.

hirokotan
  • Challenge hirokotan in the Arcade

Old 12-29-2009, 11:57 PM

Man, I'm out of the loop. I didn't even know Jim Carey was MAKING a Christmas Carol movie. I'll have to check out the reviews on that one before deciding whether or not to see it.

Itsumou
  • Challenge Itsumou in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Jim Carey is one of the worst actors, in my opinion. At least, now he is- he's gotten progressively worse. Someone needs to tell that fucker that just because you can exaggerate an expression, you're NOT an actor.
Anyway, A Christmas Carol is definitely not a child's movie. It's Dickens, after all. When was the last time you saw Dickens do something for kids? Just because there are kids in it, doesn't mean it's for kids. Shit, A Christmas Carol was pretty dark in its literary form, just like David Copperfield, or Great Expectations. Definitely not a child's writer- he was a pretty dark guy.
I'm not quite sure how the impression has come around that it's a child's story- nor do I really understand how so many takes done for children have been done on with it.

Elleyena Rose
  • Challenge Elleyena Rose in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 12:35 AM

I haven't seen it yet. I really just haven't gotten around to it. I don't mind Jim Carey so much, he just tends to play the same type of character in every single movie...

A Christmas Carol, while very good as a whole, couldn't have been intended for children. They would be scared out of their minds at some of the stuff, especially the ghost of Christmas future. and honestly Bob Marley's ghost is pretty freaky depending on which remake you are watching. (although now I have the muppets song for him stuck in my head).

Synthetika
  • Challenge Synthetika in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 AM

I doubt i will go see this movie... but yea it is a pretty dark story, but i can see how you can see it as something for children since they do make alot of softer versions for kids and then those kids would want to go see this movie

Yukiii-chan
  • Challenge Yukiii-chan in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 AM

I didn't see it!

Mari Monn
  • Challenge Mari Monn in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 01:30 AM

xD It's a ghost tale. >< It's supposed to be dark. I do want to see it still.

Kurai Amaya
  • Challenge Kurai Amaya in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 AM

I saw it, and I didn't think it was too bad. The animation and everything was really nice.

LunarShinobi
  • Challenge LunarShinobi in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 AM

It's a dark story, that I accept. I'm just not very fond of the character design.

The animation was okay, but I don't want to watch it much. I think the move to make a new Carol was a good one, to bring the story to the generations, but the animation....

Maybe if it wasn't Carey I'd be able to watch it. Eh...

Red_Riding_Hood_Dollie
Send a message via MSN to Red_Riding_Hood_Dollie Send a message via Yahoo to Red_Riding_Hood_Dollie
  • Challenge Red_Riding_Hood_Dollie in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 03:49 AM

I didn't seen the movie yet and I did saw the preview. I thought if I see the movie it would be funny.

UbrePrinnyBaal
  • Challenge UbrePrinnyBaal in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 03:54 AM

I consider this film to be living proof as to why one should not remake perfectly good movies lifetimes after they were originally done. Just write your own material. Seriously. Please.

Pink-White-Chocolate
  • Challenge Pink-White-Chocolate in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 03:58 AM

I haven't seen it yet, but my mom said it wasn't kid friendly.
She said that it was a really dark movie.
I could tell it was going to be from the commercials, but whatever.

I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can rent it and watch it.

Sho-Shonojo
  • Challenge Sho-Shonojo in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 AM

I thought that it was a pretty decent rendition of the book. Sure, I've seen the story a million times over, but they're all different in their own ways and they all stress different elements. Visually I thought that it was amazing. It was beautiful. In my opinion it also balanced the seriousness of the ghost story with some humor, though I do think when Ebenezer was shrunk to the size of a mouse, well, it just wasn't necessary. Plus I prefer the silent ghost of Christmas yet to come, over the rampaging one they had in this movie.

Despite that I thought that there were definitely some scenes worthy of merit. It was not as kid friendly as I would have thought from the trailer, the children that accompanied The Ghost of Christmas Present were quite frightening for all the kids that were in the theater.

I think it is quite worthy of a chance and shouldn't be bashed simply because Jim Carey gets the star role.

`Haru
Send a message via MSN to `Haru
  • Challenge `Haru in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 02:22 PM

I went to see it with my little sister
I'm guessing it was intended for more of an older audience. : |
A couple of the parts scared her abit. x D;;

&I think the original was better, but, I liked it.
The graphics were really good too. : O

^__^ <3

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX
  • Challenge XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM

I though Adam...nevermind...my bad...but that one if Hilarious...Adam Sandlers "Eight Crazy Nights".

The Enchanted Tiara
  • Challenge The Enchanted Tiara in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsumou View Post
Jim Carey is one of the worst actors, in my opinion. At least, now he is- he's gotten progressively worse. Someone needs to tell that fucker that just because you can exaggerate an expression, you're NOT an actor.
Anyway, A Christmas Carol is definitely not a child's movie. It's Dickens, after all. When was the last time you saw Dickens do something for kids? Just because there are kids in it, doesn't mean it's for kids. Shit, A Christmas Carol was pretty dark in its literary form, just like David Copperfield, or Great Expectations. Definitely not a child's writer- he was a pretty dark guy.
I'm not quite sure how the impression has come around that it's a child's story- nor do I really understand how so many takes done for children have been done on with it.
Yea, that's what I am thinking.

I mean, I know A Christmas Story has usually been lightened up enough to be suitable for kids, but it's about ghosts and the original version was scary in its literary form, so I'm not surprised that there is a version out there that's less than child friendly.

Although even with that said, they should have made that a little more clear in the previews or something. I'd hate to have kids and bring them to that movie and scare the crap out of them for Christmas.

darkwingedfaerie
  • Challenge darkwingedfaerie in the Arcade

Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 PM

I haven't seen it yet. Mostly because I'm somewhat disinterested...it's a story we've heard so many times. I think the effects and everything look really nice, from what I've seen. I'll probably watch it when it comes on tv ;)

Akuma-hime
  • Challenge Akuma-hime in the Arcade

Old 12-31-2009, 06:45 AM

never really seen the movie but if its dark type i might watch it

Eastriel
  • Challenge Eastriel in the Arcade

Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 PM

Omg I so agree. I thought it was slow, boring, not very funny and I was really disappointed by the ghost of christmas past who is usually seen as a fairly like woman or a glowing light with a womans voice. urgh!
And it was so not child friendly I was personally scared to death when marley came along and 2 children had to leave the cinema cause they were crying.
The adverts for it were making it out to be a wonderous adventure but it is clearly not.
They keep doing things like this, for example with coraline, they were saying it was a wonderful family adventure, it was bloody horrible!

Yume
  • Challenge Yume in the Arcade

Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 PM

BAHHHHHHH I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET D; I really want tooo!

sjacklene

Penpal
  • Challenge sjacklene in the Arcade

Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM

I want to watch that movie! The day we went to go watch it, we got distracted in Walmart and never went to the theatre. lol.

Tags