• Join Us

Knerd

Assistant Administrator
  • Challenge Knerd in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Our Unconventional category is looking a little lonely. I think that more people should enter!

Juneberry
Send a message via MSN to Juneberry
  • Challenge Juneberry in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 11:28 PM

Hm... I can think of something maybe... Problem is my only idea is still in the winter theme in some respect and on top of it it sorta takes part with a card my dad loves to give...

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-26-2009, 11:46 PM

I'm sure you could find some way to tweak the idea. :yes:
Sometimes you just can't force yourself to be creative, you have to sleep on it and let an idea come to you.

Juneberry

Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 PM

Yeah. I love my idea, but I feel bad because it uses a character from the card my dad loves to give >< If I give credit to the original card-maker that made the character, can I use the general idea? 8D

Also... I need to ask you a question about the auction 'cause I'm still annoyed at myself and need to talk to a staff member ><

Ravinessa24
  • Challenge Ravinessa24 in the Arcade

Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 PM

I was hoping lots of people would enter, but we still have more time to get more entries. ^-^

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-27-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneberry View Post
Yeah. I love my idea, but I feel bad because it uses a character from the card my dad loves to give >< If I give credit to the original card-maker that made the character, can I use the general idea? 8D

Also... I need to ask you a question about the auction 'cause I'm still annoyed at myself and need to talk to a staff member ><
As long as you are drawing the character yourself and not tracing, I suppose it would be alright. It would be even better if you could make a completely original design, though.

And do you mean the Giving Back Auction? I'm really not a part of that, but I can try to help you out anyway. :yes:

Juneberry

Old 12-27-2009, 01:14 AM

I just wanted to know if you know how I can contact the auctioneer. I realized after bidding that I don't qualify because, although my account is a year old, I'd forgotten about it and only started using it for real this month...

Oh, I wasn't even going to draw the character. I was gonna just mention the name of a character used on a ShoeBox greeting card xDD

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-27-2009, 01:17 AM

Hmm, I'd say that you should edit a note into your post saying that, due to the auction's requirements, your account is ineligible and you must withdraw. The Auctioneer should see that. :yes:

Juneberry

Old 12-27-2009, 01:21 AM

Oh I posted that already. I just still feel bad and don't know when she/he'll get it. >< Oh, and...

Got a new idea that was original!! <3

Season's Greetings! Unconventional

Username: Juneberry
Front Image of My Card: Link
Inner Image of My Card: Link

Last edited by Juneberry; 12-27-2009 at 01:32 AM..

Chikuma
  • Challenge Chikuma in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 01:41 AM

Season's Greetings! *Winter Style*

Username: Chikuma
Front Image of My Card:
Inner Image of My Card:

Front: Traditional painting with acrylic paint. Night sky altered in Photoshop to fit card size. Lettering done in Photoshop.

Inside: All done in Photoshop.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-27-2009, 02:48 AM

Thanks for the entires guys!

But Chikuma, where did that background art come from? Unless you own the rights, I'm afraid that you can't use it in your entry - That would count as art theft.

Chikuma

Old 12-27-2009, 02:53 AM

. . . I painted it O.O I'm an artist. . .I wouldn't steal art I promise.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 AM

I've updated the front page. :)

Chikuma

Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 AM

w00t! Thanks Knerd ^-^

Juneberry

Old 12-27-2009, 03:28 AM

Yay! Now the unconventional piece can't be lonely 'cause I barged in on it :3 -looks at an old card about hacker the reindeer to laugh at it-

How is everyone?

Chikuma

Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 AM

Hello Juneberry. I'm doing good. I was thinking of posting something in the unconventional section because a funny idea popped in my head XP but we'll have to see.

Juneberry

Old 12-27-2009, 03:38 AM

Chiku: Your art is amazing, so you should! You'll do great 8D Also, I'm glad to hear you're well. I don't know where my idea came from or how I managed to make it (note: I used two different art programs xP). But... sometimes those are the best things you can make no? :3

Chikuma

Old 12-27-2009, 03:43 AM

Thank you June. Mixing art types is a favorite of mine. If I do another one though I will go with a more cartoon approach then traditional painting. Cartoons are fun and quicker for me to do. Not sure though since I don't know what I'll write on the card.

I liked your card because I thought of how appropriate it would be if someone gave it to me, lol. We shovel a lot of snow here.

Juneberry

Old 12-27-2009, 03:45 AM

Might I ask where you are? We shovel lots of snow here too occasionally, though this winter was the first in a couple years we've actually had a "white Christmas" (which for us is strange, considering for a couple years we had what seemed like constant blizzards o_O).

I mostly use computer programs lately, though sometimes I draw offline as well. No matter what it's always cartoon-looking. But... I'm getting good at making things look more interesting using an awesome program I heard about from a friend at my school (though he left our school) called TwistedBrush. Pretty handy :3 No fill-tool though :c

Chikuma

Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 AM

I'm from Montana.

My friend has the brand new Photoshop *drools* It is AMAZING. Hmmm I've never used TwistedBrush. I'll have to go check it out.

Juneberry

Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 AM

It's good in some ways, though somewhat annoying in others. It depends on the sort of tools you use most, I suppose. I mostly use it, along with MS Paint.

Yikes! I heard Montana has bad snow... Sorry to hear it's still bad :c I'm over in NJ myself. Fun. ><

Chikuma

Old 12-27-2009, 04:03 AM

lol, yeah that's why I thought your card would be so perfect for me :P

I don't care much for MS paint. I would like to get into pixel art but I have no experience with it.

Juneberry

Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 AM

You don't need experience necessarily- well, not if you just edit things like I do. xD I just sorta re-color the pixels to make different items using it. Not the best way to do things but... Meh. It works for me so far xD Otherwise? I don't pixel well for my life.

I don't like MS Paint much either, but I'm used to it more than other things so... Then again, I'm unlike many people and just don't like Microsoft software much in general. I don't use MS Office unless I have to (AKA at school), and the same goes for Microsoft's Internet Explorer :3

Chikuma

Old 12-27-2009, 04:14 AM

Yeah I like creating new things but wouldn't know where to start or really what to do for pixel art.

Have you ever seen fractal art. I love the stuff but also something I don't know how to do. Here is a link for a piece I like Link

Juneberry

Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 AM

Fractal art is truly lovely, but I doubt I'd be any good at it. I'll stick to just doing random horrible cartoon-like things since I can actually do those xP The only thing I've ever drawn to look at all realistic was a flower, but it wasn't like it looked like an actual flower that existed- just not necessarily from a cartoon. It wasn't detailed is all. xP