• Join Us

Lore
  • Challenge Lore in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 AM

Ever worked retail the day after Christmas? Then you've probably been eyeball deep in returns, receipts, pissed off customers and people trying to scam the hell out of you.

I think the three worst places you could work the day after Christmas is probably:

Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target
Any clothing store
Any video game store

And in that order.

I don't know if you guys have seen Wal-Mart's customer service the day after, but the one here is swamped. There's a whole fleet of buggies filled with returns, a line that reaches all the way to the door to actually get to customer service and plenty of overworked staff to boot.

And me? I'm stuck in the second category. Clothing. All day we had people coming in with clothes they had bought months ago, worn plenty of times and put them through the washer just as many times. All they do is stick it in a Christmas bag, bring it in without tags and a receipt saying it was a gift and expect money for it.

Ha! Little do they know I work for one of the cheapest, most underhanded clothing companies in the world that will do just about anything to keep your money from getting back to you. No receipt? Gift card. Employees think you're full of shit? You get nothing. And technically, you can't complain since it's policy. But that doesn't mean they won't complain and won't keep trying. Some lady even brought in a pair of jeans that we never even HAD and claimed that since they were ripped, they were defective and we owed her another pair of jeans.

So, anyone else have to work today?

Last edited by Lore; 12-27-2009 at 01:29 AM..

Flink
Send a message via AIM to Flink Send a message via MSN to Flink Send a message via Yahoo to Flink
  • Challenge Flink in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 AM

The store I work at had the customer service ONLY for checks and money orders. And around four registers for returns/refunds only. So that kept it from being too bad.

The store did different things this holiday season to make things less hectic. Including the way they handled Black Friday, which didn't end as badly as it could have it they didn't do things the way they did.

Of course, those who had to clean UP the balloons for the lines weren't too happy.

x-cutie-x-pie-x
  • Challenge x-cutie-x-pie-x in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 01:27 AM

We went out to a massive shopping centre today, and some shops, you had to queue to get in, most of the clothing stores were so messy you just didn't want to look for it, and the checkout queues were just as long as your customer service ones. x____o;

I feel even more sorry for people who have to work there >.<

Lilith W
  • Challenge Lilith W in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 AM

I went to walmart today (and I go every year after Christmas and on Black Friday) and it wasn't nearly as bad as it was last year. Today there was only about 30 cars in the parking lot. Last year it was full.
And people are crazy. I know from just standing behind people that. I love when people bring something in and their like, "I know it's open... and used... and broke... and I don't have a recipt but I still want my money back."

Readera
  • Challenge Readera in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 01:50 AM

I went though the fun of buying my boyfreind pants, as he really needed them. I took down the size wrong, and thus bught the wrong size. Lucky they are only a bit long. His freind didn't bother to ask sizes and just guessed. And didn't give a gift recipt. So now we have to weight till he comes back from his christmas stuff, next monday. So hopefully there will be no lines.

Neko Neko Kitty
Send a message via MSN to Neko Neko Kitty Send a message via Yahoo to Neko Neko Kitty
  • Challenge Neko Neko Kitty in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 AM

I worked today. Christmas Eve was much worse, stress to the point of tears. Granted I work at Ross so we don't have any pesky sells to attract more people, but the people we do get like to trash the place.

GardeniaFly
  • Challenge GardeniaFly in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 AM

Man, I don't work retail but I do work in the mall so....it's still difficult. People come to Dairy Queen in a bad mood because of the long lines they've had to wait in and they take it out on us. Most of the people are really mean...and it's sad because I really try to be nice. People also like to complain more about their food when they've been in the mall for some time. I was making this blizzard for this lady and it had a bunch of hot caramel and hot chocolate in it and she complains about the icecream being soft. Then she asks me to add more hot chocolate! Ugh...

babykabukibrushes
  • Challenge babykabukibrushes in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 06:22 AM

My daughter use to work at the service desk at Walmart. She quit right after Thanksgiving. She didn't want to work the holidays because of the stress. She has had shingles twice because of the stress. People should treat other people they way they would want to be treated. For some reason people think they can cuss out and be down right mean to people in the retail business. God will get them.

MissAndroid
  • Challenge MissAndroid in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 06:25 AM

I feel your suffering...I am avoiding the outside world for as long as possible.

lady silvershadow
  • Challenge lady silvershadow in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 AM

yeah boxing day is a nightmare :(

Tigermirage
  • Challenge Tigermirage in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 06:29 AM

I hate working boxing day,people are so annoying. I was smart and booked it off this year, all those pesky people are somebody elses problem!

pinkii
  • Challenge pinkii in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 07:20 AM

I hope the mall isn't as bad as it was today O.O
I'm not in the mood to deal with rude, greedy shoppers.
I'm so glad I don't work in retail >>

Dainty Cut Throat
Send a message via AIM to Dainty Cut Throat Send a message via MSN to Dainty Cut Throat Send a message via Yahoo to Dainty Cut Throat
  • Challenge Dainty Cut Throat in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Oh wow... that's rough.

I'm not employed at the moment. But I made the mistake of applying for Toys 'R Us about a month before the holidays, (and it would be the first job I'd ever have, not to mention.) I had no luck. And am honestly glad I didn't land the job. The thought of dealing with crazy customers was too much to bother with. D":

Ebony Mist
Send a message via MSN to Ebony Mist
  • Challenge Ebony Mist in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 08:58 AM

I made the mistake of going to the mall today...

On the plus side... I was amused when someone stormed out of hot topic because they were selling Twilight stuff.

Elleyena Rose
  • Challenge Elleyena Rose in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 08:33 PM

I try to stay out of most shops the day after Christmas, I've seen the lines, and don't want to cause any added stress (not to mention I really can't buy anything until after my birthday anyways!

Yeah
  • Challenge Yeah in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 09:23 PM

I didn't go out yesterday but, we went to Walmart and Kohl's today and they weren't too bad. Not as crowded as I thought they would be. We did wait forever to get our daughter's computer looked at at best buy but, that's to be expected. I got some wrapping paper for half price and we got some cookies and candy for half off at Walmart, like we needed the cookies and candy.

scholar
  • Challenge scholar in the Arcade

Old 12-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lore View Post
....All day we had people coming in with clothes they had bought months ago, worn plenty of times and put them through the washer just as many times. All they do is stick it in a Christmas bag, bring it in without tags and a receipt saying it was a gift and expect money for it.
Heh. I remember reading an article in a magazine (Real Simple, maybe?) about the horrid things shoppers try to get away with -- people returning dresses with deodorant stains, shoes obviously scuffed, sweat stains. Yeah. A lot of people are really dishonest, and I have yet to figure out *why*.

Hubby and I have to do some important shopping -- big Gorilla racks for our storage locker, Orchard Supply type shopping -- and we've had to put it off for a week because of Xmas crowds. :(

Cat Eye
  • Challenge Cat Eye in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 AM

I haven't tried to screw the stores out of money. (Though I've been tempted with Wal-Mart.)

I usually have a receipt and they'll take back anything if you have that. And sometimes I grab the wrong type of stuff.

I went to Wal-Mart the day after Christmas-NEVER AGAIN! (unless I have to) And it was still bad today too.

maidenroseheart
  • Challenge maidenroseheart in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 AM

Our Walmart was closed the day after. We have had a lot of snow so that no one could have gotten to work much less to go shopping. I think that helped as not many people are very adventurous to get out...so there is no crowds :)

Kris
  • Challenge Kris in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 04:19 AM

I went to the mall yesterday. It was more crowded than on Black Friday, but I didn't notice any horrid people. Mostly, I stayed in the underwear store. Because I love underwear. ^^ Hahaha. But, really, my favorite underwear store had amazing sales and I'm glad I went. <w<;; <3

I enjoy going on the big shopping days just to scope out what's going on. The crowds here aren't so bad, really.

Rui-kun
  • Challenge Rui-kun in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 AM

I`ve been threw that and my favorite part was when they came to return it and they didn`t have the recite and then they get mad at you when you can`t give them their money back. X.x it was such a pain.

DizzieDummie

Old 12-28-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainty Cut Throat View Post
Oh wow... that's rough.

I'm not employed at the moment. But I made the mistake of applying for Toys 'R Us about a month before the holidays, (and it would be the first job I'd ever have, not to mention.) I had no luck. And am honestly glad I didn't land the job. The thought of dealing with crazy customers was too much to bother with. D":
Lol, same for me :B

really sorry for everyone of y'all that work in retail, if it makes you guys feel better I never return or exchange things and if a shop is too full of assholes I get pushy :B

Akuma-hime
  • Challenge Akuma-hime in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 AM

i dont work so i wouldn't know about that. but i can imagine that it would suck to work after christmas

BlueEyedWallflower
  • Challenge BlueEyedWallflower in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 06:04 AM

I forgot that December 26th is like this. I just totally blanked on so many things this year. I was at Target on the 26th, just looking at Christmas candy and decorations since they were 50%-75% off. Then I noticed the stores was 5X more packed than usual. I didn't get what was going on until my sisters my dad and myself got to a checkout line. Some creepy manager guy with a headset kept yelling at customers to move to different lines. It really wasn't that busy. I think he just felt super cool and important. He reminded me of a Nazi.

Jarlina
  • Challenge Jarlina in the Arcade

Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 AM

ugh, people are so rude on the 26th. I guess they all know santa already came so they don't have to be good anymore? I mean seriously!! I feel extra bad for everyone who had to work that day. Especially since it was a Saturday this year and that probably means it was even more crowded.