Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Welcome to NaNoWriMo 2012!
National Novel Writing Month

So what is NanoWrimo??

- NaNoWriMo Stands for National Novel Writing Month. Every year thousands of people attempt to write a novel from scratch in 30 days. This means from November 1st to November 30th you need to aim to write around 1666 words a day!

-Think you can do it? I'm giving it a go. If you think you're creative, have lots of novel ideas locked up in that lil head of yours, then join the fun! Or join the nanowrimo website so you can be an official member and keep up to date with your wordcount! :)

NanoWrimo Website

- A quick note from me-

There have been separate support groups made by both Knerd: and Silenia: in past years, but this year it's my turn to give it a go. Please bear with me if i forget to add you to the writers list or reply as i will be busy myself writing and setting up my own novel attempt.

I am by no way a veteran to Nano. Infact this is my first year attempting it officially, but between the Nano website and other forums i figure it's only fair we have a place on Menewsha to support those giving it a go! So here it is!

Sorry if it's not pretty, but i rushed it so for now i have simply quoted Knerds 2011 posts with rules and links. I will edit it as i go, but please feel free to make a pretty banner (i will pay) or offer me ideas on how to make it better!

Post 2 - Rules

Post 3 - Useful links and information

Post 4 - Future Novelists!

Post 5 - Extra just in case

Last edited by Lavinia; 10-11-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 PM

RULES TAKEN FROM KNERDS 2011 THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
Rules

Obey all Menewsha Site Rules and TOS

This thread is not the place to post excerpts. We're all exciting to share what we have written,
but all parts of your novel should be posted within a personal thread (of your creation) in the Lit Spot. Once you have done this though, feel free to post the link in here so we can go take a look and offer advice or feedback :)

There is a difference between constructive criticism and bashing.
Please don't cross that fine line.

Not everyone even wants criticism. Unless it is asked for,
please do not make it your duty to "correct" anyone's writing.

There is no right or wrong way to NaNo. Even if you only plan on writing 10k, you will be accepted here!

We're all stressed and busy. While it's always nice to have a place to vent
and rage, let's all do our best to keep this a positive experience. :)

Last edited by Lavinia; 10-08-2012 at 09:49 PM..

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

-USEFUL LINKS taken from Knerds 2011 thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
Resources

Don't know where to start? These links should help!

Official NaNo Website

Naming:

Baby Names
Top Baby Names
SSA Most Popular Names
Random Place Name Generator
Random Name Generator

The bottom two i've found very useful. Click on any and there's a list beside for many other lists, from kingdoms, to elf names, medieval names, even D+D character name ideas!

Worldbuilding:

Fantasy Questions
30 Day Plan

Character Development:

Character Profile

Writer's Block:

Writer's Tips
Plot Generator
Disaster Generator
Angry Birds for Chrome

Nemo kindly passed this tiny chat group to me. Thought i'd add it here in case anybody wants a live chat with a few others attempting Nano :)

http://tinychat.com/wrimo/

Last edited by Lavinia; 10-13-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

-THE WRITERS-

So who is up for the 2012 NaNoWriMo??

Feel free to add me as your buddy on there of course, especially if like me you are attempting a fantasy novel!

Let me know if you're participating by Pinging @ Lavinia ;(me) with;

Quote:
Your username on Menewsha:
The Genre you are writing in:
How many words you are aiming for:
Your Nano Username with link to you're profile if you have one (optional):

\\ CURRENT PARTICIPANTS //

Mene -Lavinia
Genre - Medieval Fantasy
Target - 50k
Nano - Lavinia Jr

Mene - Nemo.love_22
Genre - Romance (maybe)
Target - 50k
Nano nemo-love_22

Mene: Carzeebear
Genre: Young Adult
Target: 50, 000
Nano: HexNettle

Menewsha: buffythevampireslayer12
The Genre: Mutant Style Horror
Target: not sure yet. but i am hoping for atleast a few chapters hopefully at least 14
Your Nano Username: krazykutecowgirl

Menewsha: blueblackrose
Genre: undecided, but either fantasy/sci fi or paranormal non-fiction
Target: 50,000
NaNoWriMo: blueblackrose

Your username on Menewsha: fishyfey
The Genre you are writing in: urban fantasy
How many words you are aiming for: 50k
Your Nano Username with link to you're profile if you have one (optional): fishyfey

Mene - Knerd
Genre - Literary Fiction
Target - 50k
NaNoWriMo - Knerd

Your username on Menewsha: Ling
The Genre you are writing in: Youth or Young Adult
How many words you are aiming for: 10,000 but of course ideally 50,000
Your Nano Username with link to you're profile if you have one (optional): CaiLing

Your username on Menewsha: Roxxi Shiagami
The Genre you are writing in: Romance
Your Nano Username: Pm me for the username if you want to add me as a writing buddy :)

Last edited by Lavinia; 11-05-2012 at 11:22 AM..

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM

EXTRA

Last edited by Lavinia; 10-08-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM

AND WE'RE OPEN!!

So my first question is, how is your idea coming along? Still working out plot holes?

I am still figuring out a few of mine. At the moment i'm trying to decide my methods of travelling long distances but i think i will use dragons and portals

I'm also working on my MC Mage/sorcerer/Magicians past/creation.

Last edited by Lavinia; 10-08-2012 at 10:37 PM..

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 AM

Lavinia: I'm finally here! I ended up taking a nap after my classes today.

Oh, awesome!! *jumps right in* NANO!!
I'm not 100% sure what my idea is, and I tend to not tell anyone till I have it set in stone, in case I jinx myself.
We'll see where this year takes me. =]

Your username on Menewsha: nemo.love_22
The Genre you are writing in: Not totally sure yet, but probably Romance
Your Nano Username with link to you're profile if you wish: nemo.love_22

Last edited by nemo.love_22; 10-09-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 AM

Yay nemo's here! Hopefully the other people will join in as the month progresses eh!

And thats totally fair enough haha. My ideas been in my head for years it just keeps evolving and getting bigger so i think im finally ready to give it a go, and i'm verrry excited! New things get added and characters are developing daily so im super happy.

Do you have any set in stone characters yet? Or just the names? ^_^

And i'll put you on the list! :D

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 AM

Yep yep! I'm here! =] Boy... that nap was nice - even if it was unplanned.

Oh, I do have ideas, definitely, but I've jinxed myself in the past - so I don't want to do that again, also given the randomness of last years novel...

To give an idea of the randomness that struck me when writing last November, here's a brief excerpt from last year's NaNo Novel:
Quote:
Greg caught up to Sarah, and the stolen shopping cart, which, for some reason, now had five large pineapples in it.
“Sarah, what is up with the pineapples and why are they in my shopping cart?”
“That looked... yummy? And I thought to myself ‘Greg must have these!’ so I put them in!”
“Well, as much as I love pineapple, a few of these will probably go bad before I get to them” he said reaching into the cart and pulling out three of the five pineapples, “So I ‘m going to put these ones back for now.”
Sarah pouted.
“But now those three are sad, because they don’t get to go home with you and you don’t get to eat their yummy pineapply goodness!”
“Um, Sarah, they are fruit, and they don’t care.”
“How dare you say that, now you’ve hurt their feelings even more, and don’t you dare say that they don’t have any feelings! They do!”
And with that she stomped off in the direction of the apples and bananas, with the still stolen shopping cart, leaving a rather confused Greg behind her. What. Just. Happened?

And as for characters, I've got a few names, but no set name... probably Madison or Daphne for the FMC and not sure about the MMC but we'll see. *lol* I'm sure one will come to me. =]

And yay!

Last edited by nemo.love_22; 10-09-2012 at 12:27 AM..

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 AM

hehe that sounds funny, poor pinneapples! and i do like the name Madison! Its so preeetty, and i know a couple in real life too :P

My main characters will be Alexander ( a prince ) and Roderick/Erik for short (the magician/advisor/guy thats always with Alex)

Erik is the one evolving at the moment. I'm in the process of creating his life history and why he ended up in the castle instead of the magicians guild!

And my female main character will be an Elven Princess called Mae'ya (Maya but spelt elven and pronounced a little different, think May-ah)

Oh and the other sort of main female will be Rosalyn (she's the dukes daughter that was set up to marry Prince Alex till he ends up on Trae'Von (the elven continent) - pronounced Try-ay-von

Im super exciting about writing a human falling in love with an elf hehe. Love story with a twist woop!

Oh and my world is called Eldonia, what do you think?!

Last edited by Lavinia; 10-09-2012 at 12:31 AM..

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 AM

Yeah, I Was kinda out of it, and loopy -- and I was hungry.... for fruit... can you tell? Yeah, lately I've fallen in love with the name Madison... but we'll see.... My Main Female Character's name changed a few time last year, so I tend to not set names in stone. *lol*

Right now, if you'd ask me, my main male characters name would be something like Robert or Jonathan, or Gregory, or James.... yeah... can't pin point it apparently.

And oh, nice! Yay for evolving characters! =]

Like the variation there with Mae'ya! =] Pretty! <3

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 AM

haha, i struggle so much with names. I was writing the plan with titles instead of names for ages and still am for the most part!

Rosalyn was extremely difficult as she is a lovely character to start with but ends up being evil and actually being the cause for the war in the first place so i needed a name that was sweet BUT ALSO evil. I guess it'll do though xDD

And thanks, Mae'ya came quickly actually. It suddenly came to me that using "ae" in alot of the elf names would both look and sound cool and eventually people will realize the pronunciation so i just wrote loads of names down then started changing the spelling to add ae in there :P

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 AM

Names are crazy hard for me as well! (if I don't know a charrie's name I'll write "You know, that guy with (insert hair colour here) who likes (insert character here)" or some other way of figuring out who he is. HAHA!)

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM

Haha i guess we all have our special ways!

How are you preparing then? Just working on your plan or reading other books to get a few ideas? xD

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 10-09-2012, 01:11 AM

I didn't really prep last year and I'm so busy with my life, school and all that, that I don't really have prep time. I do have a bit of time right now... but I'm still sick so I don't have the energy.
I just write and wherever it goes, it goes. I know for a fact that it's going to take over and go in ways I don't expect and I do have some ideas but last year, it didn't go to plan at all.

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 AM

hah yeah i've heard mixed opinions on planning.

Some people like to go in blind with just a main character and a genre but others totally overplan and research then go nuts cause its not working the way they expect it to.

I wanna go in WITH a plan, but have a very open mind. Cause i really do expect ideas to change as i go and who knows, the ending could totally unexpected when i get to it!

Infact i haven't really planned my ending yet xD

I know its a war and the war ends..sort of. but yeah, not sure how they manage it yet haha

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 AM

That's how I went in - with Character names and that's just it - and I managed to win. =]

Just know that even if you do have a plan, sometimes things can change drastically.
Just warning ya. May not, but who knows. :P

Sorry if I seem in and out right now - I've got a few exams this week -> One tomorrow and One Wednesday, that I've not studied for yet.

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 AM

Oh don't worry hun we've got weeks to chat about it yet hehe.

Im just getting over-excited but it'll switch to nervousness soon im sure D=

My homework for tomorrow IS. learn how my portals (if i use them) will work, and decide if dragon-riding is writable!

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 AM

I know that you can make it work!

Where ever there is a writer, there's a way!

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Your username on Menewsha: Carzeebear
The Genre you are writing in: Young Adult
How many words you are aiming for: 50, 000
Your Nano Username with link to you're profile if you wish (optional): HexNettle

Lavinia:
I'm writing a complementary Novel with a friend. Idea is that we'll keep each other going.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Oh, yay! Another person joining us in the madness next Month! :D

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM

Hello~~
nanowrimo for the way~~

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Yay hello carzee, i added you ^_^

Im here for the night nowwww, once i've showered anyway haha

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM

This thread had been going on slowww~~~

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM

I know Xuv, i keep lookin in the lit forum for people. Its only oct 9th though maybe more will come in as we get closer to november! ^_^

I only made it 2 days ago anyway heh.

Are you participating this year? :)