zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-18-2023, 03:04 PM

I started reading a romance book for an easy read after the crappy book I read and I was really enjoying the first quarter of the book but now that the two main characters are interacting I'm suddenly not enjoying it. It's like there's zero chemistry and the interactions are so boring and crap. But now I'm already like 1/3 of the way through so I feel obligated to keep going. Stupid book...

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-18-2023, 09:25 PM

Oh I hate that, draw you in only to keep you stuck. Maybe they get better.......>.<

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-19-2023, 02:11 PM

Yeah... I'm still trying to truck along, hopefully it'll be worth it...

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 08-23-2023, 12:53 AM

hi all

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-23-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
Yeah... I'm still trying to truck along, hopefully it'll be worth it...
Any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
hi all
Hello Kirin!

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 08-29-2023, 06:41 AM

Has anyone read Fourth Wing? It became wildly popular on booktok and bookstagram. The second book is coming out in November. I enjoyed it very much. It’s about a dragon rider college.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-29-2023, 09:28 PM

I've never even heard of it, but it sounds interesting! I'll have to look it up :O

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 08-29-2023, 11:44 PM

I suggest it! I really enjoyed it. It reads a bit immature a couple of times. I honestly thought the author was likely much younger than she is, but the premise of it makes up for that. There is some spice in it, though, so forewarning for any that avoid that.

Alorrena
eyyo!
Send a message via MSN to Alorrena

Old 08-31-2023, 06:17 AM

That sounds right up my alley, and will be added to my "to be read when i get the money" list. It sucks not having money because i just want all the books.

In other news, i took 2 months ish off from reading for various reasons, but mostly cause i had a handful of new video games to play. I actually just got back into FFXIV again and man, with how much dialog there is in that game it's like i picked up reading again last week when i started a new character.

I took a book recommendation from my husband because he told me i had to read the books before i watched the tv series (i watched a clip on facebook). So yesterday i picked up a copy of Shadow and Bone and I just finished it today. It was pretty good. I did have a hard time not getting distracted with giving the characters varying degrees of russian accents, since the setting has russian infuences.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-31-2023, 09:03 PM

Oh! That one has been sitting in my list waiting to be read for quite some time now!

Alorrena
eyyo!

Old 09-02-2023, 12:54 AM

It was really good. It's easy to see how it has a Netflix series adaptation too. I would definitely recommend it.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-02-2023, 02:26 AM

A couple of my friends had watched the series, but I'm stubborn in that I won't watch a series until after the books if I learn of the books existence. They try not to let me learn there is books, but I don't let them

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 09-03-2023, 05:47 AM

I read Shadow and Bone and was a bit disappointed with it. Wasn’t as good as I was hoping it would be and the show is way different. I’ve been meaning to try the other books but didn’t feel that drawn to it to continue. Although I wanted the princes story further and I know he has a book.

What I’ve started doing is getting audiobooks from the library and listening to them when I play videogames that I don’t have to be that focused on or listening to. It’s been great for “rereading” books that I’ve been wanting to catch up on but feel guilty rereading because I have too many TBR

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-03-2023, 09:11 AM

I listen to many of the books on my list these days. Its great for me because I commute about 35 minutes one way to get to work these days. Better then the radio for sure.

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 09-05-2023, 04:05 AM

It’s definitely a very fast way to complete books. I see now how people get through so many books so fast.

Alorrena
eyyo!

Old 09-05-2023, 04:29 AM

I can't do audio books, my mind wanders (adhd)wayy too much for me to listen to them. But i do read quickly and can read a 450 page book in about a day, maybe two if i get distracted.

I finished seige and storm and googled a very tiny bit about who certain characters were in the tv show and it's kind of like they took characters that are in the grisha verse, but aren't exactly part of Alina's story and threw them into the tv series. i could be wrong, but i'll know after i finish ruin and rising, which i'm about to start reading here in a little bit.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-05-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suona View Post
It’s definitely a very fast way to complete books. I see now how people get through so many books so fast.
My sister told me once that it was cheating, I told her "Its not exactly like I can read while driving"

---------- Post added 09-05-2023 at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alorrena View Post
I can't do audio books, my mind wanders (adhd)wayy too much for me to listen to them. But i do read quickly and can read a 450 page book in about a day, maybe two if i get distracted.

I finished seige and storm and googled a very tiny bit about who certain characters were in the tv show and it's kind of like they took characters that are in the grisha verse, but aren't exactly part of Alina's story and threw them into the tv series. i could be wrong, but i'll know after i finish ruin and rising, which i'm about to start reading here in a little bit.
Oh yes, I could see where they might be a problem in this case. I do love an actual book as well. An audio book can never replicate the smell and feel of the real thing.

Alorrena
eyyo!

Old 09-07-2023, 11:17 AM

I love physical books. The smell, the feel... the sound! Also, when i read a physical book i tend to use the book thickness to cover one eye while i read lol It helps me focus some how.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-07-2023, 09:32 PM

The smell is my favorite part but yes to all of that! I never would have thought of being able to keep focus that way but that's cool that it works for you!

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 09-09-2023, 07:00 AM

A really good page to screen adaptation that I've really been loving has been Heartstopper on Netflix. It sticks so closely to the source material that some of the scenes in the show are literally panel-for-panel from the graphic novels. I binge watched the show when season 2 came out last month and then immediately needed to read the graphic novels. I know this is a book thread, but Alice Oseman who wrote the Heartstopper series is also the writer of the screenplays for the Netflix show so it's very very good. Highly recommend both the graphic novels and the tv show you haven't read/seen either.

I listen to audiobooks on 2X speed any my best friend hates me for it. She'll get into the car when I'm listening and her brain short circuits haha!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-09-2023, 08:04 AM

On 2x speed o.0, I don't think my brain would be able to keep up

I started the Snow Queen today, its the 4th in the 500 kingdoms series.

Seiki Nova

Old 09-09-2023, 06:44 PM

I think you would adjust. Sometimes depending on the narrator I have to start on 1.5x and work my way up to 2x. I just find that if I can read faster than the narrator can, it’s not worth it for me to listen to the audiobook and I find it easier to dedicate time to an audiobook than I do to a physical one because of my schedule so I prioritize them.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-09-2023, 09:17 PM

Hmm...that's actually a really fair point, generally speaking I could read faster then most narrators. I'm curious to see how I would find that, I should try it

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 09-10-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiki Nova View Post
A really good page to screen adaptation that I've really been loving has been Heartstopper on Netflix. It sticks so closely to the source material that some of the scenes in the show are literally panel-for-panel from the graphic novels. I binge watched the show when season 2 came out last month and then immediately needed to read the graphic novels. I know this is a book thread, but Alice Oseman who wrote the Heartstopper series is also the writer of the screenplays for the Netflix show so it's very very good. Highly recommend both the graphic novels and the tv show you haven't read/seen either.

I listen to audiobooks on 2X speed any my best friend hates me for it. She'll get into the car when I'm listening and her brain short circuits haha!
yessss i love Heartstopper!! i didn't realize Oseman was also the screenwriter, that definitely makes a difference.

a page to screen adaption i really like where the original author is also the screenwriter is Perks of Being a Wallflower. some dialogue pulled directly from the book, and the essence of the characters really comes across. also KILLER soundtrack.

Seiki Nova

Old 09-11-2023, 07:27 AM

Perks was an exceptional adaptation. Perfect casting, exceptional soundtracks. Anytime the author of the source material is directly involved with the production of an adaptation, it makes me relieved knowing we’re not just going to get a wish.com version of the story.

Cora, you should! Just start by boosting the speed a little bit and then you can find a pace that you feel comfortable with. I just find most of the time 1x speed makes it a boring read and I’m less likely to listen for longer periods of time.

Also I guess I forgot to state what I’m reading! Currently I’m reading This City Beautiful by Aiden Polydoros - queer, Jewish, 1890s World’s Fair Chicago murder mystery paranormal possession. Seems like a lot, but very interesting! I’m like halfway through the book now.