KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 PM

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I'm sure most of you are well aware of who the Sprinkleteers are. We are a group of completely insane, entirely fantastical, wholly amazing, vastly random, and exclusively arbitrary Menewshans.

While generally we are all found at our home, Sprinkles, not Jimmies!, so many of us read books, and have recommendations, that we needed a good place to keep them all. Without having to rely on Facade. Because he's slow. :illgetu: XD

So come along with me, my pretties. I is your host, Kitteh. Join me, I have spare slippers and cigars, and this fancy new leather scented air spray...

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by KittehMEW; 04-29-2010 at 09:23 PM..

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Would you like to add a book to the library?

Code:
[B][COLOR="Purple"]OHHHH~! Pick me! I've got a book![/COLOR][/B]
[B]Name:[/B]
[Size="5"][B]Title of the Book:[/B] TITLE HEREEEEE~! [/size]
[B]Author:[/B]
[B]Genre:[/B]
[B]Main Themes:[/B] War, urban, faeries, aliens, dragons, etc etc.
[B]Pages, length, series, etc etc.:[/B]
[B]Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature):[/B] Explain why, such as harsher language, adult themes, etc.
[B]Short Description:[/B] No spoilers, please. Just to give an idea about the book.
[B]Website:[/B] If you know of a website for the book or author, feel free to link it here.
Just fill the form out and post it in the thread. Do not edit posts to add another book. One book per post.

Last edited by KittehMEW; 04-29-2010 at 04:53 PM..

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Grab a cup of tea, choose a book, and take a seat...
Click on the title of the book to read more about it. Books are sorted by selected theme words or Genres. Many books will appear more than once. This is for your convenience.

Dystopian
The Beach - Alex Garland | Jennifer Government - Max Barry | Unwind - Neil Shusterman

Sci-Fi
Unwind - Neil Shusterman

Political Issues
The Beach - Alex Garland | The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N. K. Jemisin | Jennifer Government - Max Barry | Unwind - Neil Shusterman

Paranormal
Anita Blake Series - Laurell K Hamilton | The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Thriller
Anita Blake Series - Laurell K Hamilton

Vampires
Anita Blake Series - Laurell K Hamilton | The Kitty Norville Series - Carrie Vaughn

Urban Fantasy
The Dark-Hunter Series - Sherrilyn Kenyon | The Kitty Norville Series - Carrie Vaughn | The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman | The Weather Warden Series - Rachel Caine

Ghosts
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Fantasy
Daughter of the Forest - Juliet Marillier | The Elemental Masters Series - Mercedes Lackey | The Heralds of Valdemar series - Mercedes Lackey | The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N. K. Jemisin | Mercy Thompson Series - Patricia Briggs | Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maquire

Werewolves
The Kitty Norville Series - Carrie Vaughn | Mercy Thompson Series - Patricia Briggs

Fae/Faeries/Pixies
Mercy Thompson Series - Patricia Briggs

Comedy
Jennifer Government - Max Barry

Travel
The Beach - Alex Garland

Self-Discovery
The Beach - Alex Garland

Help/Motivational

Paranormal
The Dark-Hunter Series - Sherrilyn Kenyon

Topic

Topic

Last edited by KittehMEW; 05-19-2010 at 03:59 PM..

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM

The Sprinkles Corner(s). XD
That's right, go to your corner. You've been very bad. :illgetu: Tsk tsk tsk.

Actually, this is where everyone can reserve themselves a corner (looks like a square room wont work for this, myriagon perhaps?), and there they can make updates about the books they are currently reading, thoughts on books they've read, and any other nonsense they feel like adding. Also, you can find out a bit of information about all of us.

So go ahead, reserve your post (we'll keep editing the post to keep the library clean), and get started. Feel free to edit the code in anyway, since it is your corner. I am just making a basic format for the lazy. XDD Feel free to customise. Add some pictures and what not if you wish.

Code:
[center]
[SIZE="6"][COLOR="red"]THIS IS ----------'S CORNER![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B]My favourite author is...[/B] Do they have a website? Feel free to link.
[B]My favourite book is...[/B] If it is in the library (as it should be) link to it.
[B]My favourite genre is...[/B] 
[COLOR="Orange"]A wise man/woman/vampire/demon/elf/minotaur once said... "(Add your fave quote if you can think of one, and put the source, some might want to check it out.)"[/COLOR]

[COLOR="yellow"][SIZE="5"][B]I'm currently reading...[/B] Let us know. If it is a book in the library, please link to it.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[B]My thoughts...[/B] Like it? Don't like it? Let us know. But don't ruin the plot, please.

[COLOR="Lime"][B]Next book I'd like to read...[/B] If it is a book here in the library, link to it so others can check it out. [/COLOR]
[/center]
Clicky, clicky to see the corners. XDD

Last edited by KittehMEW; 05-17-2010 at 05:29 PM..

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM

On second thought, I might get hungry too.

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Oh what the hell, one more, just in case.

bethanynel813
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-27-2010, 09:00 PM

First post! This is a wonderful idea! *fills out form*

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

I love how you reserve posts Kitteh.
OHHHH~! Pick me! I've got a book!
Name: Wings of Writing
Title of the Book: Unwind
Author: Neal Shusterman
Genre: sci-fi.dystopian novel
Themes: war, politics, society.
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: about 300 pages (335 to be exact), not too long. not part of a series yet
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): It is a teen novel in reading level. However the content is highly disturbing and not for the weak of stomach. This book gave me shivers down my spine and I'm not easily distrubed, most days
Short Description: In a society where abortion is illegal, unwinding becomes the problem. Unwinding is the literal dismemberment of a teen from the age of 13-18. These teens are literally taken apart completely (their entire bodies) and their parts are used as organ donations. But here is the kicker these teens aren't considered dead, no they are just living in a divided state. In a modern day, Modest Proposal. Shusterman masterfully details a world where teens fear for their lives and must constantly worry their parents will sign the unwinding order. And every detail of this book is chillingly realistic...

I love this book!! It is my absolute favorite book!!

here is the first page of the novel:

edit:
Quote:
The Second Civil War, also known as the "The Heartland War" was a long and bloody conflict fought over a single issue.
To end the war, a set of constitutional amendmens know as "The Bill of Life" was passed.
It satisfied both the Pro-Life and the Pro-Choice armes.
The Bill of Life states that human lif may not be touched from the moment of conception until a child reaches the age of thirteen.
However, between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, a parent ma choose to retroactively "abort" a child...
...on the condition that the child's life doesn't technically end.
The process by which a child is both terminated and yet kept alive is called "unwinding."
Unwinding is now a common and accepted practice in society.

Last edited by Wings of Writing; 04-28-2010 at 06:13 AM..

MelanieSkye
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Name: MelanieSkye
Title of the Book: Anita Blake series: Guilty Pleasures
Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Genre: Paranormal Thriller
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: About 16 books
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Mature. She describes all of the crimes in gruesome detail. Also, there are many sex scenes after the first 6 books.
Short Description: In a society where all the prenatural creatures have rights, there are hunters who get warrants to execute vampires and weres. Anita is known as the Executioner for having the most vampire kills and the scars to prove it. She struggles with her black and white, evil or good mentality, as she begins the meet some of the prenatural creatures that she's not there to kill. She is also an Animator, meaning she raises the dead as zombies for a living so that these zombies can give testimonies, figure out wills, etc.

Last edited by MelanieSkye; 04-27-2010 at 09:24 PM..

Cicadetta
Rambling Woolgatherer
Send a message via AIM to Cicadetta Send a message via MSN to Cicadetta

Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Name: Cicadetta
Title of the Book: Jennifer Government
Author: Max Barry
Genre: Dystopia/Political Satire
Main Themes: War, consumerism, capitalism, comedy, politics
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: Stand-alone novel, 321 pages (paperback, ISBN 1400030927)
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Adult/Mature. Strong language, adult situations (not graphic), lots of violence (pretty graphic)
Short Description: The United States has annexed multiple countries around the world, outlawed tax, and corporations have taken over everything. Schools are sponsored by the likes of McDonalds and Mattel, citizens take the last names of their employers, and the weak Government runs exclusively on private donations. The title character, Jennifer (who works for the Government), must, in this environment, attempt to find justice for the people killed in a Nike plot to sell more sneakers. Everything is privatized and nobody is safe.

Last edited by Cicadetta; 04-28-2010 at 10:22 PM..

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 AM

People who posted so far, I changed a tiny bit of the form, just added a place for you to put some themes if you wish. XDD

Cicadetta
Rambling Woolgatherer

Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 AM

Is it at least okay to edit previous posts to reflect the form revision, rather than post it all again?

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:59 AM

Oh yeah, edit for that, please. ^^

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 AM

ANARCHY! ANARCHY, I TELLS YA! :illgetu:

I'd recommend Wicked (well, obviously), but I'm too lazy to fill out the intimidating form! :gonk:
-runs away to Narnia-

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:11 AM

-defiles Facade-
Fill it out, (wo)man!

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM

I LOVE THIS IDEA! xD

Name: zeapear
Title of the Book: The Graveyard Book
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Urban Fantasy? I'm not really sure >_>
Main Themes: Fantasy, Urban, Abstract(?), Growing up(?)
(?) = Not Sure About
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: It's a stand-alone book of moderate thickness
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Young Adult+. It wouldn't be the kind of book (most) younger kids would enjoy or understand.
Short Description: It's about a boy who's family has been murdered. There is a killer on the loose looking for him but alas, he has been raised by ghosts ever since he wandered into a graveyard as a toddler. Nobody Owens is given 'freedom of the graveyard' and can see as the dead see, fade like the dead fade, and many other things that ghosts can and men cannot. This book is a fantasy novel that describes how 'Bod' grows up in the Graveyard and how he prepares for the world beyond.
((I can't write descriptions xP It's heaps better than I've made it sound and It's full of awesome adventures and stoof :'D))

Taviren
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Name: Taviren
Title of the Book: Mercy Thompson Series
Author: Patricia Briggs
Genre: Fantasy
Main Themes: werewolves, shapeshifters, fae, vampires, mechanics
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: Hm... series is about... 7 books long (I'm including the Alpha and Omega books in my count, since they're set in the same universe) currently? It's ongoing. Average length (200-300 ish pages).
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Adult. There's some violence, language. A couple characters suffer rape in different books.
Short Description: Mercy Thompson is a volkswagon mechanic in Seattle, Washington who can shapeshift into a coyote and was raised by werewolves. She gets caught in the politics between the werewolves, vampires, fae and humans... a lot.

Read her other books not in the series too! >.<

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Oh yay, people are actually posting. ^^ Kitteh needs to put a few books up.

Taviren
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Mhm. This is awesome idea, Kitteh. I could post soooo many series. I think I should be polite and wait until at least one other person posts though before posting another. ^^

KittehMEW
The Anti-Rainbow.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Here you go then, Tav.

---

Name: KittehMEW
Title of the Book: The Beach
Author: Alex Garland
Genre: Utopia/Dystopia
Main Themes: Travel, politics, utopia, dystopia, self discovery.
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: 448 pages, stand alone.
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Adult/Mature+. There are some violent aspects, and quite a bit of language.
Short Description: Richard is a traveler, and he learns about a place called the beach. Perfect, untouched like the rest of the awful places he has been. Yet, is a Utopia possible? All the while, Richard is trying to find himself.

Don't want to say too much. Better just read it, ya'll. XD

Taviren
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Name: Taviren
Title of the Book: The Elemental Masters series
Author: Mercedes Lackey
Main Themes: mages, elementals, historical, fairy tale
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: About 400 or so pages. Not sure how many are in the series yet. XD I've read four so far.
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Teen-Adult. Some scary situations, but nothing a teenager can't handle, I don't think.
Short Description: Well, each book has different characters but they're all set in the same universe (so characters from other books sometimes come back as minor characters). They all seem to be about a young woman learning she has the ability to become a master of one of the four elements (Air, Water, Fire, Earth) and her struggle to master her element. This, of course, is while some great scheme is going on that threatens her life.

Cicadetta
Rambling Woolgatherer

Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 PM

Name: Cicadetta
Title of the Book: The Weather Warden series
Author: Rachel Caine
Genre: Urban fantasy
Main Themes: Urban, elemental magic, djinn, romance, environment, adventure
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: Eight books, with a last due out this summer. Approx. 300 pages each
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Mature. Language, violence, and adult scenes
Short Description: Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden. She commands the elements of air and water. She, and Wardens like her (of Weather, Fire, and Earth), defend mankind from natural disasters. (Mother Nature doesn't really like people all that much.) Joanne also has to battle evil forces, and deal with the Djinn, immortal beings long enslaved by the Wardens, and itching to be free.
Website: Rachel Caine: Morganville Vampires, Weather Warden, & More

(Yes, I added a suggestion to the form. ;) )

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 04-29-2010, 01:59 AM

Name: Wings of Writing
[size="5"]Title of the Book: The Heralds of Valdemar series
Author: Mercedes Lackey
Genre: fantasy
Main Themes: War, magic, mystical beings, life
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: it's a three book series. each book is about 300 pages I believe
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): There is one very very mild sex scene in one of the books (don't remember which one) but nothing to graphic. also mentions of rape and sexual abuse but again nothing graphic
Short Description: Talia, a farmgirl, has wanted her entire life to be a Herald, one of the legendarian guardians and protectors of Valdemar. She dreams of being a Herald more than anything. So when a perfectly white horse, a Companion, shows up Talia is absolutely convinced that he couldn't chose her. (and that's a crappy summary but it's an amazing series)

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 AM

b]OHHHH~! Pick me! I've got a book![/b]
Name: Woody
Title of the Book: Daughter of the Forest
Author: Juliet Marillier
Main Themes: Tuath de Dannan, swans, Irish myth
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: Book 1 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy (recent 4th book put a cog in that) , roughly 400 pages
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Adult fantasy, some explicit scenes
Short Description: Fantastic classic faerytale themes, but with a greater depth. Based off of the 'The Six Swans' as collected by the Grimms brothers. This story follows Sorcha, the youngest daughter and 7th child of Lord Collum of Sevenwaters. Lord Collum remarries and his wife plots to take his children out of the picture so any heir she carries will inherit the Forest. Sorcha flees the safety of her home after witnessing her six brothers being transformed, and must save them by sacrificing her own safety and well-being.

Daughter of the Forest - Google Books

Such an amazing series, I highly recommend them. This book is followed by Son of the Shadows, Child of the Prophesy, & Heir to Sevenwaters

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 04-29-2010 at 03:12 AM..

Cicadetta
Rambling Woolgatherer

Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Name:
Title of the Book: The Kitty Norville series
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Genre: Urban fantasy
Main Themes: Urban, fantasy, werewolves, vampires, magic
Pages, length, series, etc etc.: Seven books (so far), approx. 300 pages each.
Rating (Young Adult, Teen, Adult, Mature): Adult/mature due to violence, and consensual and non-consensual adult scenes.
Short Description: Kitty Norville is a werewolf, changed against her will, and a late night radio DJ. She inadvertently starts a wildly popular talk show about the paranormal, and becomes the world's first (outed) werewolf celebrity. Throughout the series she deals in pack politics, vampire politics, magic, bounty hunters, the paranormal, and trying to live as human a life as possible in spite of what amounts to a magical disease.