View Poll Results: Do you think there could be a Planet X?
Yes! True until proven false! 13 33.33%
Maybe. There isn't enough proof. 13 33.33%
No! That is all a hoax! 5 12.82%
You are effin' insane! 2 5.13%
I like cheese! 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Thunder
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe View Post
This bothers me so much, not you in particular, but how we've somehow been manipulated to automatically dismiss unconventional thoughts.
Why are original thoughts and fresh initiatives frowned upon in a world of seemingly limitless possibility?

From what I've seen, if an idea presents even the slightest threat to status quo, they'll slap "conspiracy theory" on it and everybody goes "oh, it's a bunch of hogwash!" without even considering what's being said. Well it's called a conspiracy theory, not a hypothesis; their assertions aren't baseless. Yet, they lump all of them together so the term becomes associated with the more radical thoughts and the innocently open-minded ideas aren't even given consideration because they've been marred with a label.

Anyway, I'm inclined to believe in Planet X. I'm fairly open-minded; I can't fully reject an idea unless it's been deemed 100% impossible. However, there's not enough evidence for me to even consider trying to convince anyone else. Though trying to argue for or against a theory seems pointless (in casual conversation) because it's only through self-realization that a person will change their mind/beliefs.
I'm not automatically dismissing a thought because it doesn't fit in with the norm. I have read the first post and have considered what was said. I admitted that I didn't know much about it, and asked for links because I couldn't find anything credible on my own. There's been no response, so far. So, I'm dismissing it because there is no proof.

There isn't anything wrong with unconventional thoughts. However, there's also nothing wrong with being skeptical and asking questions.

Doe

Old 12-26-2009, 12:09 PM

@Thunder: I should've just addressed you first instead of rambling about people in general, lol.
Skepticism I have no issue with; I approve of questioning and pressing the matter further.
This is what bothers me: people that, based on prior knowledge, decide to completely dismiss
the subject at hand without considering what's been presented; based on how you phrased your
initial post, that's what I thought you had done.

& that's what I specifically tried to address; admittedly, it was lost within my rant about the
manipulated populace (:sweat:).

It's also why I gave the example of the "conspiracy theorist"; once they've been lumped in that
category, people for some reason tend to dismiss - right off the bat - what the "conspiracy theorist"
has to say. All credibility is gone because of the associations people have with a term.

:offtopic: and having cleared that up, I take my leave to save this thread from going off-topic. -poof-

Katurine
Web Warrior for GrailKnights

Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 PM

I have no idea what could be out there. Except for cold. Terrible, terrible cold.

Thunder
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Doe -
Yeah, my first post did seem that way, now that I look back on it. I just wasn't sure if you had seen my second, so I wanted to make it clear that I try not to be one of those people you were ranting about.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 12-26-2009, 03:20 PM

I think that there are other planets out there. I mean there's no way there's just what we mapped and nothing else. It is possible there is a planet that has an over lapping orbit with in our solar system that we just haven't mapped yet.

Angelz
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 AM

That could be possible. Besides, anything could be possible in space since there's so much... well.... space and emptiness xD
But since 'Planet X' crosses another planet's orbit, it's not really considered a 'real' planet (I might be wrong since I'm really not sure about this but please correct me if I am)

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 AM

Yup
I always get the urge to read up on past history involving planets

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-31-2009, 02:53 AM

I"d like to read more about this theory myself. Sounds very intriguing.

XxXTOXIC_CONDOMSXxX
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM

I'm confused about Planet x..
Some people tell me it's just a moon while others say it's a planet.
Curse m y lack of knowledge...

Ethos
til death do us part

Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 AM

There is no Planet X.

On Sumerians: The ancient sumerians didn't know about the planets past Saturn, so they wouldn't have been able to accurately define how many planets there actually are in our solar system. (Planets after Saturn aren't visable to the naked eye and telescopes weren't invented until Gallileo monkeyed around with lenses in the renaissance). They may have had a soft place in their hearts for the number 12, but they couldn't even see 7 planets.

On Pluto: To be a planet you need to satisfy three criteria~
1. Orbit a star (like our Sun, otherwise you get kicked out of the solar system club, and have to be a dirty "exo-planet" aka uncool).
2. Have enough mass to be spherical in shape. (Sorry Haumea, you're out).
3. Dominate your orbital neighborhood. (This is where Pluto falls short. It is, in fact, smaller than the planet Mercury which is smaller than the moon Ganymede [of Jupiter] and it's orbit crosses Neptune's. To put it to a human/real-life scale, Pluto being scaled down to have the same circumference of a number 2 pencil eraser, Neptune's circumference would be roughly volley ball sized. -way to go Neptune, but lay off the funyuns for a bit).

On Kuiper belt objects:
There's a second asteroid belt out there! It's like the solar system can't get enough belts for it's mighty large, mighty fine trousers. There are tons of objects that are bobbling about out there (more than the inner asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter), and they're very well scattered. Objects the size of the theorized Planet X would make large gravitational waves as it passes through the belt (which has a nearly 90 degree swath of area around the solar system's orbital plane around the Sun). According to the numbers (solar system being about 4.5 billion years old and theoretical Planet X having a period of 3800 years) Planet X would have made a solid 1,184,210 passes through the solar system. That would defs be enough to make some tracks- which it hasn't.

Hope that clears things up!