Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-26-2024, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
I dunno, I just read some of this one and then some of that one and so on. They're all different kinds of books too so I guess that helps.
I can barely keep up with one book these days

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-26-2024, 03:49 PM

Haha, that's fair, I'm just a crazy person. I finished book number twenty two last night. It was called "A History of What Comes Next". It was a historical fiction about the space race. I felt like the story was interesting but the voice of the author less so. I gave it three stars. It's a series but I won't be attempting to read the others. I don't really care about knowing the rest so much that I want to read more of it.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-28-2024, 02:25 PM

I just finished book number 23 yesterday. If I keep reading at this rate I'm looking at about 92 books this year. I'm hoping to beat my record of 101 though so I'll have to kick it up a notch! I'm in the middle of reading a bunch of books though so hopefully I can finish some of those up soon and add another batch to my read list.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-02-2024, 03:45 PM

I just finished book 25, whoo!!!

EDIT: Actually make that 26!

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 04-02-2024 at 06:27 PM..

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 04-10-2024, 06:28 PM

I'm currently reading a fairy tale book of sorts about Reynard the Fox. Apparently a tale from the Middle Ages. Very interesting. Love the illustrations by Jonas Lauströer. * o*

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-12-2024, 05:29 PM

Wow that sounds really interesting! I'm working through a new audiobook, ebook, poetry book, and a few other things. Plus I got two new French books during my recent trip to Berlin!

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 04-12-2024, 07:15 PM

Oh, gosh, that reminds me I need to work on listening to the audiobook for Lady Joker Volume 1 for the next Japanese Literature Book Club meeting on the first of May. It's such a massive work with a huge cast. It's been a little hard to digest cuz the author goes into so much detail but it's a really intriguing story nonetheless that's based on true events.

Ooh! When did you go to Berlin? O: I love visiting bookstores in other countries. * o*

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-24-2024, 02:24 PM

That sounds like a big undertaking! I tried to read a book for a book club recently but I finished chapter three and realized I really didn't care about any of the characters at all or what might happen to them so I gave up, lol!

We were in Berlin earlier this month. I just went through all my French books the other day and realized I had actually purchased duplicates, oops! Hopefully I can find someone at the French Alliance here who might like them.

I just finished book number 30 the other day. I'm still working towards my goal though it's felt a little more slow going the past few weeks...

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 04-27-2024, 02:43 PM

Sure is! I'm only halfway through now with about 11 and a half hours left. I hope I can finish it up in 5 days. o wo; It really isn't a book I would be interested in reading on my own time but I can see it being a tv show or movie I would totally watch. I like how intricate the details of the plot are and how all the men come together to basically steal money from a huge corporation. It really teaches you about the history of discrimination in Japan too.

Oooh~ lol I hate when that happens. You should keep an inventory. :'D

I've been reading a lot of comics, manga, and graphic novels. I read novels so slowly.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 05-06-2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
That sounds like a big undertaking! I tried to read a book for a book club recently but I finished chapter three and realized I really didn't care about any of the characters at all or what might happen to them so I gave up, lol!

We were in Berlin earlier this month. I just went through all my French books the other day and realized I had actually purchased duplicates, oops! Hopefully I can find someone at the French Alliance here who might like them.

I just finished book number 30 the other day. I'm still working towards my goal though it's felt a little more slow going the past few weeks...
Book number 30 and she says it is slow going *hides her list behind her back*

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-09-2024, 01:30 PM

I finished book number 33. I have no idea what the heck I just read, it was awful. Definitely don't recommend The House of Cotton.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 05-10-2024, 11:21 PM

I just finished a book about the truth and fiction of the Day Vinci Code. It was pretty interesting though it took a while to get through.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-13-2024, 02:30 PM

I just finished Inciting Joy but hated it.

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 05-13-2024, 09:07 PM

I’ve been struggling my way through the Hades and Persephone books. They’re just SO horrible. I cannot bring myself to finish the last two. It doesn’t seem worth it.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 05-13-2024, 09:16 PM

That's a shame because I usually like Hades and Persephone stories.

I'm just starting The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella, my friend suggested it. I hope it ends up good haha.

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 05-13-2024, 10:36 PM

The ones by Scarlett St Clair? Those are the ones I refer to. And yes, I cannot handle the sniveling or constant “need for release,” no matter the situation. The writing just feels undeveloped and juvenile. More what I would expect from a high schooler writing fanfics than from a published series. There’s so much potential for an amazing plot and I like the story itself, but really can’t stand how it’s presented. It had SO much potential, and she clearly did a lot of research on Greek mythology and constructed and interesting world here. I prefer the Hades versions to the Persephone version tenfold, though. I just finished Game of Gods and I’m just DNFing the rest of the series. My friend just finished the latest Persephone book, and she actually enjoyed the other books, and she said it was so bad that she regrets having wasted her time on it. Perhaps I’ll listen to the next Hades book when it comes out, but for now I really don’t find the series very redeemable. And I know most authors have a line they overuse, but her use of “are you well?” was so beyond excessive that it drove me mad.

Okay, rant over. I did listen to Lightlark lately and quite enjoyed it. So much so that I actually bought Nightbane on my kindle to read because the library didn’t have it available at all and I wanted to continue with it. It’s rather simple but enjoyed it all the same.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-14-2024, 04:00 PM

I finished book number 35 yesterday "A Place For Vanishing" which I enjoyed though it does come with a lot of trigger warnings. My library finally bought a book I've been pining after so now I'm reading "Wolfpack" by Amelia Brunskill.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-30-2024, 04:53 PM

I started reading The Tatami Galaxy by Tomikio Morimi, the individual who wrote The Night Is Young Walk On Girl. I'm really not sure what to make of it. It's interesting but also a little bit like...I dunno how to describe it. Basically the main character has a very lamentable character. Actually all of them do really, and it makes me wonder what the heck I'm reading.

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 05-31-2024, 05:50 PM

It’s hard to get through a book when even the main characters are off putting.

I’ve been listening to The Halfling Saga and like it quite a lot. I’ve really enjoyed the world she’s created, and the BIPOC representation in it is beautiful. I’m on the third one right now. The covers also have absolutely stunning artwork.

Speaking of beauty, do any of you guys play videogames? I started Pandora lately and I’m absolutely blown away by it. Beyond stunning. Phenomenal graphics and gameplay. The plants and wildlife are so true to the films too. Absolutely obsessed.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 06-05-2024, 03:06 AM

ooo, what's Pandora on? my partner loves Avatar & the Disney world Pandora, he would be so into that.

i finally started reading a little last month! here's my list:

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ No hay nada más chistoso que leer con un oso - Carmen Oliver (finished twice)
The cutest little picture book ever Perfect for someone learning to speak Spanish.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Extraterrestres y energía - Agnieszka Biskup (finished)
It's middle school science, and middle school Spanish, so it was perfect for me to practice my Spanish and refresh my memory on science stuff I forgot. The art was really cute, and full of easter eggs and little jokes.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Colors of the Navajo - Emily Abbink (finished)
So cute, such colorful simple expressive art, and a great way to learn some vocabulary and a little about the Diné culture.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️✨ Sensory: Life on the Spectrum: An Autistic Comics Anthology (finished)
Perfect way to switch from internet to books, this was basically just a tumblr printed out, it was really fun. A bunch of different autistic artists contributed 2-10 pages of comics about their experiences being autistic, and it was really relatable and honest, and focused on some of the joys of being autistic as well as the struggles. The art was really cute too, and they had artists of varying skill levels; it was so fun to see beginning artists express their autism through art!! And it was also fun to see how peoples' autism influences their art.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Maya-English/English-Maya Dictionary and Phrasebook Paperback – John Montgomery (mostly finished)
I decided to teach myself Yucatec Maya! This was a really accessible grammar, and a good intro, and a really substantial dictionary that goes both ways. It wasn't perfect, and glossed over a lot of really important points, but as a jumping off point it really worked, and I like the cover and the colors. I also have been reading a lot of online resources, which are usually better.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Mysterious Advanced Astronomy in Mesoamerica - Norah Romney (started)
Very interesting, but a little outside of my realm of knowledge, so I got intimidated and stopped. I do want to try again though.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Batman: The Killing Joke (paused)
My old favorite superhero comic from college. I love the art, it's so intense and vibrant and fucked up. But in my old age (lol) it's a little too fucked up and gory for me, so I had to stop because I was getting stressed out.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1001 Spells - Cassandra Eason (started)
The author has a really unique perspective on magic, and I like how specific the ingredients lists and instructions are. Sometimes they're a little too specific and have difficult ingredients, so I have to adjust them to work for me, but it's definitely a fun starting point!

⭐️⭐️⭐️✨ Sign Language Among North American Indians - Garrick Mallery (started)
No idea how accurate this is, and I don't really have a way to fact check, but it's a fun read and interesting to think about! It's cool to see what words get signs, and how most of them are animals, or important natural phenomena, and how they line up with the grammar of each verbal language. It needs like 10,000 more pictures though, it's impossible to follow the descriptions accurately.

⭐️⭐️⭐️ The Modern Yucatan Dictionary - Ralf Hollmann (started)
Lol this dictionary is so cute. Not really useful for learning anything, but a fun thing to have on my shelf like a "dirty french" book. It's basically just Spanish slang, but regional to Yucatán. I had expected more Maya words, but the population is being pushed more towards speaking Spanish lately so I understand.

⭐️⭐️ Rockhounding New Mexico: A Guide To 140 Of The State's Best Rockhounding Sites - Martin Freed (stopped)
No pictures!! Who makes a rock book with no pictures... also it was kind of lame because none of the sites were in my range, and they didn't really describe or explain the rocks you could find or how to identify them.

⭐️ Chiricahua Mountains (stopped)
I'm sure it's actually a very good book, but I am no geologist and I fell asleep. Also, I was in New Mexico and not Arizona, so it wasn't as appealing. Some good pictures, though.

⭐️ Mayan History: A Children's Book Interesting And Informative Facts - Bold Kids (finished)
Idk why I even tried lol. The pictures were good, I guess. But the "facts"? Are wrong.

✨ Libro de Cuentos Para Niños - Good Kids (stopped)
Definitely written by a bad AI. It was like a little kid going "and then the bee did this, and then the butterfly said that, and then the farmer told the pig this..." it just had no plot development and kept introducing new characters that never did anything. Waste of a rental :/

Last edited by ghostPastry; 06-05-2024 at 03:10 AM..

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 06-05-2024, 07:51 AM

I play on Xbox, but I know it’s available on other platforms as well. It is called Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. It’s pretty pricey, but so worth it. You even get your own ikran to fly around on.

That’s so many! Well done! And what fun subjects. Far more diverse than me. I always stick to romantasy, it seems. Lol

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 06-05-2024, 05:55 PM

oh wow!! that sounds so amazing. what are the flying controls like?